Lack of Audience during 40 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 02:41 PM
I was at LA2 as well.. I was singing for as long as I could, but my voice was just gone. I am excited for SLC. The people here are just loud! The last tour Collective Soul did here we got them out for 3 encores. It pissed off Ross Childress it seemed, so Ed Roland did the final song with the lights up, everyone rushing the floor, solo. It was really cool. I think the SLC fans have what it takes to keep going. I just hope they do. I think lots of times we all figure these bands are far to big to care about coming back out so we give up. It's all about not giving up that hope that you can get another encore!

Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Opening night during "40" was an awesome listing experience. I think that opening night had the real U2 fans and that now that the shows are progessing, it is either just teh causual fans etc.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:01 AM   #23
War Child

Lucky for us Europeans the percentage of die-hard U2 fans is bigger due to the stadium shows... And since die-hard U2 fans mostly have GA tickets and wánt to be up front the 40 singing will be more impressive in Europe... (And before the US fans start flaming me, just saying that more people make more noise)

Oh, one more thing; Most people who don't know the song will most likely leave the venue as they think the show is over (lights out, screens on black, 2 hour show done)...
Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
They should close with "Elevation." Everyone knows that one.

Excuse me ... but I don't think so !!

"40" is the closer ... and should remain there ... on this tour !!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 AM   #25
The Fly

yeah the stadium shows will rock!!!

besides, didn't the audience sing 40 for like 10 minutes in phoenix? i read that in review on www.u2tours.com
Old 04-15-2005, 04:42 AM   #26
The Fly

Time is an issue - I know Boston has an 11 PM curfew so regardless of how long the audience carries the song the band/venue will be fined if they go beyond 11PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
40 is the ultimate closer. Anyone who suggests it should be elsewhere is on crack, and not the blue variety.

And if the audience aren't singing along, they need a swift kick up the arse.
I agree with these thoughts, it's the ultimate closer.

Not that many out here will care much, but I am curious how 40 will unfold as a closer here in Omaha. First time in this city, older, historical song -- maybe Willie can drop the lyrics to 40 up on the light curtains so folks can sing along?

Otherwise, my hunch is that it'll be about half the ellipse folks singing along and fans that know 40 sprinkled throughout the arena trying to keep it going -- I doubt it will last that long, but I could be wrong.

For 40 alone, I wish I could hit Boston or Chicago.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:54 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
Opening night during "40" was an awesome listing experience. I think that opening night had the real U2 fans and that now that the shows are progessing, it is either just teh causual fans etc.
yeah we kept on singing even when the lights were up!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:19 AM   #29
The Fly

That is true for a lot of arenas, but what is a measly fine like that to U2? I saw Pearl Jam in Buffalo and it was getting close to the arena curfew time and Vedder said "fuck it, stone (the guitarist) offered to pay the fine." I know not every band can play as long as Pearl Jam does every night, but it would be great to see an extra song or two if the crowd was really into it.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #30
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
I was singing '40' in the streets after SJ1, but most people were just walking to their cars.
But we had this most amazing thing on Saturday in SJ--this stunningly good U2 tribute band played til 130am just a few blocks from the arena. 'Zoo Station' played some hits but also superb versions of songs we're not likely to hear at a U2 concert soon, like God Part ii, Surrender, stuff off Zooropa.
Let's hope the singing goes on long and hard in Chicago.
love & peace or else,
Anu
Old 04-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #31
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
Opening night was REALLY loud and long, because I think there were so many psycho hardcore fans there.

I also saw the SJ shows, which were aweseome of course, but yeah, they trailed off at the end of 40.

I bet the first arena where the fans sing "how long..." at full tilt, for 5 minutes after Larry leaves, will get a surprise encore...
I agree. We sang for a long while after Larry left the stage. It only stopped when they eventually turned up the house lights. I was hoping U2 would come back out.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #32
Refugee

Question is though, if this happens, what would U2 play after 40? Fast Cars?
Old 04-16-2005, 06:20 AM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Phoenix II "40" had "it." U2 played the song long - and good job Friday nighters - bringing Larry back on stage.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:01 AM   #34
Babyface

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Re: Lack of Audience during 40

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fan101
After listening to 40 from all 8 shows thus far, I have come to the conclusion that it seems like when the band stops playing, people immediately cut out singing "How long....to sing this song...". And in some instances they start up again when Larry begins to play his drum solo.

I don't know if it's that people, casual fans, aren't familiar with the song and the history of it as a closer, or if '40' has lost it's spirit.

For those of you who have been to the shows already, does it seem like the recordings tell the truth in the crowd participation of 40, or is it much better than I think it is?
well, this tells me that you were not in San Diego for the opening show........people were singing after they turned the lights on