kanye west opening for u2 .... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthshell

The Fly
Don't get me wrong, I like Kanye West. I just don't know why he is opening for U2. I mean he is FAR better than Kings of Leon. They were god-awful. He doesn't seem like someone to open for u2. Whatever happened to Switchfoot? I think that would be a good fit and they are releasing a new cd and it is very good. Also, it would be sweet if the Killers still played a few dates on the last leg of the tour. Just some thoughts....

Kanye is opening because he's not the normal generic rapper that sings about "bitches and hos" and "sitting on his spinning 22' rims". He's different-he preaches a message and raps about God (Jesus Walks) and sings about how his career got started.

Personally, I think it's a breath of VERY fresh air, and he's one rapper I enjoy listening to...

Wait no...the only rapper I enjoy listening to...:wink:

Has this been confirmed?

Because I sincerely hope it's nothing more than bollocks. I loathe Kanye West, just like I loathe any other rapper. Heck, even the Kings Of Shit would be better than enduring 45 minutes of someone speaking too fast.

Axver said:
Has this been confirmed?

Because I sincerely hope it's nothing more than bollocks. I loathe Kanye West, just like I loathe any other rapper. Heck, even the Kings Of Shit would be better than enduring 45 minutes of someone speaking too fast.

Did you guys see him on the Hurricane Relief Concert?

Rather than trying to keep in the spirit of the event, he went on some convoluted rant about racism and basically threw more gas on the whole fire.

In my book, he's a loser and an opportunist. I'm sure he was hoping to get his name in the news to sell a few more records.

It was so bad that they had to edit it out on the rebroadcast.

Kanye = no class.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

Did you guys see him on the Hurricane Relief Concert?

Rather than trying to keep in the spirit of the event, he went on some convoluted rant about racism and basically threw more gas on the whole fire.

In my book, he's a loser and an opportunist. I'm sure he was hoping to get his name in the news to sell a few more records.

It was so bad that they had to edit it out on the rebroadcast.

Kanye = no class.

While I'm in Australia and obviously didn't see that concert, I've heard plenty about it and I generally agree with you. I agree there may be a racial dimension to the crisis, but I have a HUGE problem with people creating racial divides (in fact, very recently on my LiveJournal, I spoke of my frustration at any kind of racial divide - people, skin colour does not matter!). I think Kanye's comment was entirely out of line, especially as this is a time for unity.

No idea what he's like live, but his first 2 albums have been a breath of fresh air as far as the hip hop industry is concerned. I'd really recommend checking them out if you haven't already, keep an open mind.

There's a thread in FYM about Kanye and his statements on the relief concert, in case you didn't know.

I honestly don't know what to think, other than he's better than Dashboard fucking Confessional.

Could it get any worse?

Axver said:
Has this been confirmed?

:laugh:

"George Bush doesn't care about black people."

Just for this he deserves to open, and why not a duet...
Kiss my :censored: W

Just curious...
Why do those of you dislike Kanye West? (besides for his comment the other night)

Is it b/c of his style of music, image, etc....?

Because he's from the Chicagoland area I've been exposed to a lot his stuff and think he's talented.

I dont' want to debate his politics or anything but I am wondering what the knocks against him are.

Thanks.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Just curious...
Why do those of you dislike Kanye West? (besides for his comment the other night)

Is it b/c of his style of music, image, etc....?

Because he's from the Chicagoland area I've been exposed to a lot his stuff and think he's talented.

I dont' want to debate his politics or anything but I am wondering what the knocks against him are.

Thanks.

Good morning! :wave:

:wink:

WildHoneyAlways - I started out not liking the guy, but then i heard ´Late registration´ and it changed my mind on him. Kanye West :up:

I just don't like his music :shrug: I'll say that hearing Kings of Leon many many times I've learned to pretty much zone out through the duration of opening bands.

I don't know a single song of his, I just thought what Axver said sounded funny :tsk:

corianderstem said:
There's a thread in FYM about Kanye and his statements on the relief concert, in case you didn't know.

I'll look for it, but could you post a link if you reference another thread?

Thx.

EDIT: Think I found it... http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138450&highlight=kanye

And I guess my point is that U2 is about eliminating the divides that Kanye did his best to widen. That alone is why he should not be allowed anywhere near U2 and if he is and I'm near the stage I won't hesitate to give him a proper 'salute'.

He'd ruin the whole spriit of a U2 show, IMHO.

Last edited:
knox said:
I honestly don't know what to think, other than he's better than Dashboard fucking Confessional.

Could it get any worse?

:yes:

I'm so glad Dashboard Confessional isn't opening any of the shows I'm going to (both in Philly, then Buffalo), though I'm curious who's going to. After the terrific roster of openers in Europe, I'd hoped for either one or two good bands, or a rotating roster of bigger name bands. My Chemical Romance? Ewww. I watched about 2 minutes of them on MTV the other night and had to turn them off.

I'd be interested to see Kanye West just because he's something I wouldn't go for usually. I like the idea of U2 trying to get fans to broaden their musical horizons a bit.

Well, one thing is for sure, if Kanye does open for U2 and decides to start preaching his politics to the audience it's going to make for a very bad scene at the show.

(And just to be clear I'm not a Bush supporter and have no opinion one way or another regarding Kanye's music.)

ramblin rose said:
Well, one thing is for sure, if Kanye does open for U2 and decides to start preaching his politics to the audience it's going to make for a very bad scene at the show.

(And just to be clear I'm not a Bush supporter and have no opinion one way or another regarding Kanye's music.)

It'll get ugly.

Last edited:
I don't want Kanye to open, not because of his music and message, but because I'd rather see a rock show. I want a BAND to open, someone who plays instruments, guitars, drums, not someone who raps over some beats. If I wanted that, I'd go see a hip hop show.

Why will it be ugly if Kanye West gets into politics on stage? It's okay to for U2 to do it, but no one else?

corianderstem said:
Why will it be ugly if Kanye West gets into politics on stage? It's okay to for U2 to do it, but no one else?

It's fine to do politics on stage as long as you don't alienate the majority of your audience. I'm not sure Kanye woud be able to do that. Maybe I'm underestimating him, maybe I'm not.

Maybe I'm underestimating the audience, and then again maybe I'm not.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

But that's U2. You should know. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom