Kanye Supporting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
Has anyone got any setlist/show info on Kanye West supporting U2 for Vertigo3??

Im going to both shows in sydney, and would like to know what hes playing and for how long, so i can familiariese myself with his work....

thanx guys

Dan

beats the hell out of kings of leon. THAT was rubbish. I liked his set, and so did the crowds at STL and Omaha. Jesus Walks is rockin' live. he and all his crew and backup musicians (the ladies!) were on my flight from STL to Omaha. they were totally cool.

gabrielvox said:
The best two opening acts of the 3rd leg were Kanye West and Damian Marley, hands down.

Ditto that (and total saw Kings of Leon, Damian Marley, Kanye, Dashboard Confessionals, and Institute....Institute was my LEAST favorite).

Kanye and Marley are not really types of music I'm into at all, but out of everyone I saw they were the most energetic and actually interacted w/ the crowd.

I think this is what he played in st.louis

Diamonds of Sierra Leone
The New Workout Plan
Touch The Sky
Heard 'Em Say
Get 'Em High
All Falls Down
Slow Jamz
Through The Wire
Jesus Walks
Gold Digger

From Fluxblog http://www.fluxblog.org/2005_12_16_newflux_archive.html

Kanye West @ Savvis Center, St. Louis, MO 12/14/2005
Diamonds of Sierra Leone / The New Workout Plan / Touch The Sky / Heard 'Em Say / Get 'Em High / All Falls Down / Slow Jamz / Through The Wire / Jesus Walks / Gold Digger

A proper Kanye West/U2 bill surely would have drawn an interesting mix of fans, but this was a regular support slot for Kanye, announced long after tickets were sold out and as such, the audience was entirely comprised of U2 fans. Lucky for him, the people close to the stage in the ellipse area went wild for him, but the reception around the arena ran hot and cold, with many rockist jackasses booing him while he was onstage and later on, when Bono expressed how happy he was to share a stage with the guy.

The performance itself was an awkward mix of expert showmanship and good ideas not quite gelling as they should. He was backed by a DJ and a full string section, but the mix was horrible throughout the set, mainly resulting in the bass drowning out West's vocals and the more nuanced parts of the string arrangements. With only a few exceptions, the songs were played in abrupt bits and pieces, rarely with any sort of graceful ending. However, many of the songs did come off well - the string interpolation of the musical hook in "Heard 'Em Say" was gorgeous, "All Falls Down" seemed particularly well rehearsed, and "Jesus Walks" came across as the sort of arena anthem it ought to be.

The most exciting and memorable thing about this set was Kanye himself, and the sheer magnitude of his charisma. Unlike other U2 opening acts, West took full advantage of their ellipse stage design, jogging along the runway and working it just as well, if not better than Bono himself. The guy is a total natural, and definitely needs to tour more often. If he starts headlining stadiums himself, he really ought to consider stealing that ellipse concept. Really, anyone playing a room that size should

"Lucky for him, the people close to the stage in the ellipse area went wild for him"
I was so part of that group. Our little group got lots of Kanye love :D

I know he did some snippets of some songs but I can't remember the names right now - but West was best time I had with an opening act this entire tour.
I'm really hoping he gets the opening slot in Hawaii

The performance itself was an awkward mix of expert showmanship and good ideas not quite gelling as they should. He was backed by a DJ and a full string section, but the mix was horrible throughout the set, mainly resulting in the bass drowning out West's vocals and the more nuanced parts of the string arrangements. With only a few exceptions, the songs were played in abrupt bits and pieces, rarely with any sort of graceful ending.

That would be my only complaint about his set. I was really excited to see him, but the preppy high school kids who were on the rail in front of me couldn't care less and just stood there, nothing more than a head bop or two the entire time (and it wasn't just Kanye, they stood there stiff as board through the entire U2 set as well). I wish he would've opened for more of my shows b/c I couldn't really get into it with such a stale group in front of me.

Was St Louis his first outing with U2?

Maybe he just wasn't comfortable yet...

From where I was in Portland he did amazing - and I dont think I heard a single boo - the ellipse for one was going NUTS, people were breakin it down for crissakes LOL - the stands seemed more full and alive than for any other opener I had seen so far as well...

I think its a great matchup, I was so pumped by the time U2 got to the stage...electric!

i planned on hating Kanye (i was prejudiced and thought him pretty arrogant) but he was fantastic. one of the best openers of the tour.

I loved Institute :reject:

gabrielvox said:
Was St Louis his first outing with U2?

Maybe he just wasn't comfortable yet...

It was his first outing with U2 and he wasn't comfortable he joked about how nervous he was.

I thought he was great though :up:

i was at the portland show, the set was slightly different from st. louis. he did roses and addiction, and ended with jesus walks with gold digger right before it.

i enjoy his music (the first album much more so) and was looking forward to seeing him, but not expecting much. the majority of the live hip hop acts i've seen have not been great, plus it doesn't help playing in a huge arena.

he was alright and actually seemed to be getting some people on the floor moving (from my vantage point in the upper tier at least). most of the people around me had clearly never heard of him and referred to him as "that rap guy." the worst was the guy i overheard leaving the show who said kanye should be grateful that u2 was giving him all that exposure. yeah buddy, the guy has put out 2 enormously successful and critically acclaimed albums in the span of a little over a year. im sure he really needs u2 to expose him to the all important clueless asshole demographic. this whole tour i've run into a sadly high amount of u2 fans that are ignorant of any music that is NOT u2.

Popmartijn said:

How do you know? Have you seen him in concert (opening for U2)?
Or did you just react based on your prejudices?
:tsk:

Prejudice? That's got nothing to do with the fact his music is tasteless crap. Rest assurred that I will be taking the biggest earplugs you have ever seen to Auckland, Brisbane, and Melbourne.

I never thought U2 would choose an opener worse than Kings Of Leon, but they well and truly have.

Axver said:
Rest assurred that I will be taking the biggest earplugs you have ever seen to Auckland, Brisbane, and Melbourne.

Just make sure to keep your ass in your seat and your mouth shut so the person behind you can enjoy the music and the show and dance her ass off to Golddigger.

WE WANT PRE NUP! WE WANT PRE NUP! :D :dance:

Axver said:

Prejudice? That's got nothing to do with the fact his music is tasteless crap. Rest assurred that I will be taking the biggest earplugs you have ever seen to Auckland, Brisbane, and Melbourne.

Heh, I'm not a Kanye fan either, or a fan of the genre, but as "crap" as it is, he's INFINITELY better as showmanship and working the crowd than ANY of the other openers except maybe Damian Marley. I don't pay good money and wait in line for 24 hrs to see a bunch of greasy haired guys stand there with their eyes closed strumming guitars for an hour. Shit or not, at least give me something I can move to!

nurse chrissi said:

one of the funniest parts of the entire show - a bunch of u2 fans chanting along to that :lol:

We were shouting it in line outside the arena in Portland :D

I believe SLC also had a bunch of Pre-Nuppers since that is where my friend brought it from :lol:

*lateforwork*

Back
Top Bottom