iTunes Concert Announcement??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport

Refugee
I was just thinking that we've never heard another word about the iTunes and U2 concert relationship. Weren't they going to make every concert immediately available for download? Did those talks fall apart at some point?

If this was going to happen, I would think that there would be an announcement of some sort in the next few days.

Not that I need to be shelling out anymore $$ from my wallet at this point on U2. And that could get very expensive...$15.00? or so for each show? But we could be at the forefront of the most documented, most available, digital concert tour ever. And we could all be listening to opening night in San Diego that same night.

Thoughts anyone? Are they going to do this?

cmb737 said:
I think the technology as it relates to quality control fell apart.

that's completely and utterly false. dozens of bands do exactly this already. U2 is behind the times when it comes to this, not a leader.

applenut said:

that's completely and utterly false. dozens of bands do exactly this already. U2 is behind the times when it comes to this, not a leader.

I was referring to the fact that Bono wouldn't be able to overdub his parts. Not whether or not the technology in general was there, but whether the technology and the time was there to release a product to U2's standards.

No one is recording a concert and having it available on Itunes a few hours later. Just doesn't happen.

Most of U2's boots are riddled with mistakes that probably makes them cringe.

So you think unless it's utterly polished - U2 will never do this?

To be honest, it might be a little too much to have all of those concerts available. Also, it would take the fun of having to hunt down the recordings.

:dance:

After the horrible audio disaster that is the HTDAAB album, I don't think U2 will quable of such strict quality control standards for their concerts.

But, I don't think we'll see downloadable concerts- nor the 3D holographic audio technology in the show itself. If we do, it should be announced already or very very soon.

Westport said:
I was just thinking that we've never heard another word about the iTunes and U2 concert relationship. Weren't they going to make every concert immediately available for download? Did those talks fall apart at some point?

If this was going to happen, I would think that there would be an announcement of some sort in the next few days.

Not that I need to be shelling out anymore $$ from my wallet at this point on U2. And that could get very expensive...$15.00? or so for each show? But we could be at the forefront of the most documented, most available, digital concert tour ever. And we could all be listening to opening night in San Diego that same night.

Thoughts anyone? Are they going to do this?

well... sorry... pearl jam did this on their last tour. you'd buy the show you want ahead of time... after the show ends they'd send you an unmixed mp3 version of the show, and then a week later you get a fully mixed CD version in the mail.

cmb737 said:

I was referring to the fact that Bono wouldn't be able to overdub his parts. Not whether or not the technology in general was there, but whether the technology and the time was there to release a product to U2's standards.

:shrug: I didn't see this as being a major issue when U2's concert was broadcast live from Sarajevo on the Popmart tour. As I recall, Bono lost his voice for a good part of the concert but it was still regarded as an overall success.

I can't see any reason why U2 couldn't make their concerts commercially available, through I-tunes or an alternative medium for their upcoming tour.

Metallica, who like U2, have an active fanbase that records their shows, have released soundboard recordings of all of their last tour at ten bucks a show. http://www.livemetallica.com/

I don't see why U2 could not do something like this. The demand is certainly there.

And I think Metallica lets you buy them in lossless also (FLAC)...much better than iTunes lossy AAC's.

cmb737 said:

No one is recording a concert and having it available on Itunes a few hours later. Just doesn't happen.

Most of U2's boots are riddled with mistakes that probably makes them cringe.

dozens of bands do this, just not with iTunes. with iTunes its even EASIER

there will always be imperfections live, that's why its live.

CTU2fan said:
And I think Metallica lets you buy them in lossless also (FLAC)...much better than iTunes lossy AAC's.

Hey I have most of the shows from the 1st leg and 3rd leg of Madly in Anger World tour on FLAC. Anyone needs to trade I got most of the shows.

God I hope they do it right (ie not through iTunes). For a group that makes a very good living through the reproduction of sound, the fact that they do anything with iTunes still boogles my mind. We don't need lossy quality live boots, we need good quality lossless. To add to the list, Duran Duran, Peter Gabriel, and the Who have been recording and releasing concerts of theirs via theMusic.com on real cd's. The sound quality is pristine.

My guess is they will Release a couple of random shows from the tour...maybe 1-2 from each leg.
Then again, there might be nothing....As you would have exepcted an announcement already, as the tour is only just over a week away :hyper:

U2WOJO said:
God I hope they do it right (ie not through iTunes). For a group that makes a very good living through the reproduction of sound, the fact that they do anything with iTunes still boogles my mind. We don't need lossy quality live boots, we need good quality lossless. To add to the list, Duran Duran, Peter Gabriel, and the Who have been recording and releasing concerts of theirs via theMusic.com on real cd's. The sound quality is pristine.

That's true. Plus, iTunes is only available to a few countries. I'd rather have no official releases and have to rely on the well-established bootleg world than have U2 sell lossy concerts to only a small part of their worldwide audience.

Axver said:

That's true. Plus, iTunes is only available to a few countries. I'd rather have no official releases and have to rely on the well-established bootleg world than have U2 sell lossy concerts to only a small part of their worldwide audience.

With all the trading and P2P activity going on, anyone who wanted the shows could still get them even if they can't get access to itunes. For ex, the official PJ boots are widely available on CD and itunes, but are still heavily traded for.

I'd rather have the shows available on CD, but I'd settle for "lossy" (ready, you don't lose much!) soundboard files over shitty audience recordings, IEMs, or ALDs any day.

Last edited:
Listen to the iTunes versions of the concert from NYC -- it's not flawless... I for one would very much like to buy a copy of the concert I get to go to -- it makes it a little more permanent! I think it's a fine idea (however they do it) - and I'm more than sure I wouldn't be the only one interested...

U2WOJO said:

for the price, 128k/sec AAC is fine from the iTMS. A small sacrifice in quality is made for great portability. In most cases, the difference is negligible. Of course, there are cases where the compression takes a bit away, but they are few and far between. I have been satisfied with the iTunes quality. It's a good balance of quality/portability/price. U2 could easily post them on iTunes immediately, and then also offer a pressed CD for sale. Pearl Jam did this their last tour, although the iTunes half of it came after the tour, not after each show. For what its worth, the Dead have plans to release virtually every show they have done on iTunes in the near future. Several dozen have already gone up.

How is it that I love but at the same time can't stand this digital age we live in?

:dancing: :banghead:

:hyper: :confused: :scratch:

applenut said:

for the price, 128k/sec AAC is fine from the iTMS. A small sacrifice in quality is made for great portability. In most cases, the difference is negligible. Of course, there are cases where the compression takes a bit away, but they are few and far between. I have been satisfied with the iTunes quality. It's a good balance of quality/portability/price. U2 could easily post them on iTunes immediately, and then also offer a pressed CD for sale. Pearl Jam did this their last tour, although the iTunes half of it came after the tour, not after each show. For what its worth, the Dead have plans to release virtually every show they have done on iTunes in the near future. Several dozen have already gone up.

What gets me is that fans moan on about lossless quality and then go and play the music on inferior audio equipment or shitty speakers or even in the car!!!??????

U2 will not realease evey concert on 'igoons', but there will be the obligatory radio shows, webcast (ugh), igoons special and tour DVD.

EVERY U2 fan's dream is to have access to fantastic concert recordings (especially the ones they've been to) and, as with all nice dreams, this will never come true - not even after the band call it a day (unless PMc needs some lose change).

And if the bootleggers want to charge 10-20 for one of their recordings then that's okay by me because I know the majority of these guys pay for their own equipment and even risk getting booted out of the gig!!!!
They also have to stand still (at a gig for Christ's sake) and not yell out "Yeah", "wooh", or "In the name of love" etc...

They should be f*cking Sainted.

So set those recorders on pause and let's make this the best tour ever!!!!
I will not be recording because I'm too selfish to stand still and keep quiet - at least I'm honest.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom