Is the non-GA experience worth trying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Jazz

The Fly
I went to 6 concerts on the Elevation tour, and I had GA tickets for all of them. So far I have tickets to 5 shows on this tour, and again, all of them are GA. I love the GA experience...it is incredible. But I was just wondering if maybe I should try a seat for one of these shows. It's probably a completely different experience. The only problem I can see is looking down at those people in GA and wishing I was with them. What do you guys think?

Definitely! It's all about the show. For me the benefit of assigned seating is that I can show up just minutes before the show starts and also have easier access to beer, bathrooms etc. It's also nice to have a more "elevated" (no pun intended) view of the show. When I was in GA last time around, we were so close that you tend to miss out on the full view spectacle of the show and while it's phenomenal being right up front with the band it is also very cool to be back a bit to take in the whole thing. We did a few nights of each last tour (a couple nights of GA and a couple nights of seats) and it was great! Try 'em both! :wink:

BTW they're talking about making more of a spectacle out of this tour than Elevation, which may be an interesting view a bit farther back ie: Zoo Tv and Popmart were completely different experiences viewed from the front row vs. back of the arena!

Last edited:
beatlesboy said:
When I was in GA last time around, we were so close that you tend to miss out on the full view spectacle of the show and while it's phenomenal being right up front with the band it is also very cool to be back a bit to take in the whole thing.

I totally agree with this. When I was in GA all I could see was one or two band members at a time, basically. They were so close it was hard to take your eyes off them. But sitting further back, I could see the whole show--and it really is something to see. I don't think I even looked at the video screens or lighting effects or anything in GA. It was all about Bono & Edge, basically. I am purposely seeing this tour from both seats and GA as well. In fact, I have seats and GA for the same show (San Diego 1) and am still debating on which to keep but am leaning towards keeping the seats since we'll be driving 12 hours and it will be tough then dealing with GA. Plus it's the first show, figured there will be some GA kinks to work out.

Last edited:
joyful girl, i took the same approach as you--I have a seat for the tour opener b/c i figured i could get an idea of how GA was going to work out, then i bought GAs for a couple chicago shows. in some respects i'm not sure i want to deal with being squashed into the crowd and camping out for every show i see. reserved seats are a nice break from that. i'm all for mixing it up.

I have never been to a U2 show and am very excited that I got two GA tickets (evil Ebay) to a Chicago show. I am nervous about the whole GA thing since I've never done it before. Also, I am giving my second ticket to my boyfriend with the hopes to turn him on to U2 (he likes them - but not a huge fan). I don't think he is too thrilled about hanging out in the GA line for 10 hours. Is it worth it? I am super excited for the show, but just not sure about GA. Should I keep my tickets (I paid a lot for them) or should I maybe try to trade for seats (granted they would have to be excellant seats). Seats might be less stress.... I just don't know... Any advice?

:confused:

u2u2u2 said:
I have never been to a U2 show and am very excited that I got two GA tickets (evil Ebay) to a Chicago show. I am nervous about the whole GA thing since I've never done it before. Also, I am giving my second ticket to my boyfriend with the hopes to turn him on to U2 (he likes them - but not a huge fan). I don't think he is too thrilled about hanging out in the GA line for 10 hours. Is it worth it? I am super excited for the show, but just not sure about GA. Should I keep my tickets (I paid a lot for them) or should I maybe try to trade for seats (granted they would have to be excellant seats). Seats might be less stress.... I just don't know... Any advice?

:confused:

My opinion is that if you only get one shot at a U2 show and you have GAs, that is awesome. Keep them! Your boyfriend needs to cater to your needs on this one, not vice versa! :)

u2u2u2 said:
I don't think he is too thrilled about hanging out in the GA line for 10 hours. Is it worth it?

Yes. The GA line is really not as bad as it may sound, I did the Chicago GA las tour and I'll be there again. You're not "stuck" in an actual line, when you get there there's usually some sort of "check-in" (last time we put our names on a list in the order we arrived and were given playing cards with our number on them) and once checked in and settled you can make trips for food, take walks to stretch, go to the bathroom (outhouses provided by U2 last tour also) etc... Make sure you bring whatever you may need to be comfortable and or entertained (lawnchairs, sleeping bags, books, cd player, etc..) there's also plenty of fans to talk to... Keep those GA's trust me!

I did all but 1 show GA's last time. It was great. I do have a couple GA's for an Anaheim show and Staples. Still debating whether to get (if I can find or afford them) more GA seats. I think I'm leaning towards seats as well. It's nice to be close but it's also nice not to worry about the all day wait. Something to look foward to.:wink:

I'm so jealous of all of you people with GAs AND regular seats - AND for multiple shows !! Such a dilema you all have.:wink:

I'm another lucky fan. :reject:

I'll be doing the lower bowl seat thing in Vancouver on the 28th, then I'll be doing the floor thing the very next night in Vancouver (29th). I'm giving myself a little bit of "floor foreplay" as I watch the floor saying "I'll be there tomorrow night!" :drool:

The OOTS said:
Once you go GA, you never go back!

I almost agree with this, but I did have the most awesome seat at my first Boston show for Elevation, it was a lower level right next to the stage. It was incredible, but I would still look at the heart and wish I was there.

You have to at least try GA once if you can!

If you got GA tickets to 5 shows on this first leg through legitimate sources, you are more than lucky and should take the next plane to Vegas to parlay that good fortune.

Somehow I doubt you hit the ticketmaster jackpot that many times...and if you are paying brokers and e-bay scalpers you are just part of the corrupted system that is preventing so many from seeing this band

I was able to get 7 GA tickets to different concerts all on general sale, and once was on 56k dial up! So it can indeed be done.

EPandAmerica said:

I almost agree with this, but I did have the most awesome seat at my first Boston show for Elevation, it was a lower level right next to the stage.

Awesome, I have tickets at Fleet in Loge 18, so I'm psyched about being close and am hoping for an open stage. Just a quick question, though, I saw on an ebay listing that the loges behind the stage (15-20) actually start at row 10 since they are cut further back than the other loge seats. Is this true? If so, I would be PSYCHED.

I'm supremely jealous of anyone with GA's, but I like to console myself by thinking of the big advantage of the two B's (aside from Bono) - Beer and Bathroom...

tytrevdad said:
If you got GA tickets to 5 shows on this first leg through legitimate sources, you are more than lucky and should take the next plane to Vegas to parlay that good fortune.

Somehow I doubt you hit the ticketmaster jackpot that many times...and if you are paying brokers and e-bay scalpers you are just part of the corrupted system that is preventing so many from seeing this band

Well don't doubt it because I did indeed get all 5 pairs of GAs through Ticketmaster. 1 pair was through the presale, and the other 4 pairs were through general sales. It was nerve-racking every time, but if you move fast, it is very possible to be successful several times.

And a side note...I would never pay a broker or an e-bay scalper more than face value for a ticket...I can't afford it and I don't want to give them a penny. But if a die-hard U2 fan wants to go to a show so badly and gives in and buys a ticket from a broker or scapler, I don't think it is fair to call them "part of" the corrupted system. That degrades them when all they want to do is see U2. Would you really put them on the same page as the scalpers themselves?

Last edited:
Glad to hear your got them straight up. In the Northeast it was near impossible to get anything, hence the skepticism and obvious frustration with ample supply in the hands of non-fans/profiteers.

Enjoy the shows. I hope they mix up the setlists more than Elevation for those going to multiple shows-- I can't imagine going to essentially the same show so many times, give or take one or two different songs. Back during War & Joshua Tree tours there was much more spontaneity and wondering "what was coming next". Zoo/Pop/Elevation seemed to be about 18 songs in the exact order with one or two variations between shows.

tytrevdad said:
Enjoy the shows. I hope they mix up the setlists more than Elevation for those going to multiple shows-- I can't imagine going to essentially the same show so many times, give or take one or two different songs. Back during War & Joshua Tree tours there was much more spontaneity and wondering "what was coming next". Zoo/Pop/Elevation seemed to be about 18 songs in the exact order with one or two variations between shows.

Elevation did offer more variation than the previous 2 tours. For one, U2 did have 2 or 3 'different' setlists (although with a lot of songs appearing on all versions) which they rotated evening to evening. In that respect, it was a lot like The Joshua Tree Tour, a tour that also didn't have much variation in the setlist.
I think that for the earlier tours there seemed to be more spontaneity because of the absence of the Internet. Now, almost every setlist is known instantly. Then, there was a big chance you hadn't heard about a possible setlist for months after the first show. Hence, you were always wondering 'what would come next' while now it's more a case of 'they played these 2 songs, so according to yesterday's setlist and the one of last week, this song will be next'.

C ya!

Marty (going the non-GA route for his arena show)

I have never had GA, but I would guess that if you just want to see them in concert, it shouldn't matter. That being said, if you had a chance to get GA for a decent price, then I would go for it.:wink:

Quick fingers and lots of friends .... got 6 GA tickets off Ticketmaster ... its def. possible you just need to practice and have people helping you. I was able to pull 2 of the GA's off myself. My parents grabbed 2 and one of my friends grabbed 2. I had other people helping as well. I woke all of my roommates up to help for the Philly sale. Had pledges from my Fraternity help me purchase NJ tix. As far as the GA/Reserved experiecne. I'm going to 2 shows GA and 2 reserved. Never did GA b4 so I'm hoping it will be great.

i've seen u2 three times before, always seated (and sometimes in pretty crappy seats) and every time i've seen them it's been amazing. i generally hate arena shows and prefer the energy and interaction of smaller venues, but u2 have the ability to reach and connect with all of the audience, even the people in the cheap seats (still wish i had gotten GA for one of the elevation shows though)

im seeing shows on this tour both GA and in seats. naturally, i'll take GA whenever i can get it, but i think it will be cool to experience the show both ways

Back
Top Bottom