is it just me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corner said:
I'd say the current version of The Fly is every bit as good as Zoo Tv and even better than Elevation. It has a much more Rock n Roll, gritty edge to it this time round I think.

:reject:

haha no need to hide from that opinion

i think the current fly is amazing, i watched it on my dvd from the opener last night, and i was going to make a post in my journal about how amazing it was, but i couldnt get the right words to express its awesomeness, so i deleted it

but i have to say, the into to the fly for elevation was amazing, and then it led right into an ass kicking version of the song

the first time i saw that live at elevation i was unbelieveably blown away, my eyes even swelled up a bit i was overcome with emotion, it was perfect

its just an amazing song all around :heart:

Last edited:
Kinsa said:
Honestly, if people are bitching and moaning about this show, then probably nothing U2 could do would satisfy them, unless U2 were to play for 4 hours, and play that complainer's personal set list.

I have seen all U2 tours since 1987, and I felt the most passion from the band on this one. I think the initial euphoria with Elevation was that a bunch of fans felt U2 got back to their "roots" more, after Popmart.

On this tour, the band seems to really be enjoying themselves, and on the 2 shows I have seen, really feeding of the crowd's energy, more than they ever have. Bono sounds fabulous, I think better than he has in quite awhile. The new material sounds great, the setlist (to me) is better than the setlist I saw on Elevation.

Then again, that's my opinion - I am sure you can find lots of complainers - I say ignore them and go and see for yourself if you are able.

I am surprized by the "most passion from the band" comment. I haven't seen it yet on this tour. While I agree that this tour is infinantely cooler than Elevation, it seems to me like Bono is holding back. I can't remember a show (let alone tour) that he seemed so reserved.

Now this isn't a bashing of the tour. I have been around long enough to remember what U2 were before JT and the spectacle of ZooTV and Popmart. They were a kick ass rock band, and that is what they are now, but I do wish we would see more of "do anything t reach the crowd" Bono.....

totally agree with chizip 100% - same for zootv version of mysterious ways- much better
although would add that the versions of the new songs are very good. I despised Yahweh and didnt think too much of All because of You until i heard them live- Yaweh in particular is brilliant

Chizip said:
well to pull a jick and play devils advocate for a second, martha says the band has never sounded better musically...

well lets look at some current versions of songs that they played on previous tours...

• bullet the blue sky does not have the same power on this tour that it did during zootv, or even joshua tree
  • running to stand still is great, but i prefer the zootv version
  • streets is great, but its misisng the great transition its had on past tours
  • its awesome they are playing zoostation, but the current version lacks some of the power it had on zootv
  • the fly is also great, but the elevation tour version is their best version
  • beautiful day is about the same as during the elevation tour
  • elevation lacks the punch it had during the elvation tour
  • sunday bloody sunday and pride are both really good, but have had better moments in previous tours
  • same with new years day...
  • they boy stuff is great and is probably the tightest theyve ever played it, though gloria back in the joshua tree era probably had a little more kick

dont get me wrong, the tour is amazing, the new songs are awesome, and its nice they are trying out new versions of old songs

but there arent really any old songs that they are playing where i am thinking, "wow, this is the best version of this song that ive ever heard!"

anybody agree?

I think the show would be better if they did two quick changes and they both have to do with one another (so maybe it is just one change.....

They need to move Miracle Drug right inbetween Pride and Streets. Bono can still talk about Dr. Kings dream and about how so many people are dying in Africa because of poverty, but most of all because people with HIV aren't getting the drugs they need. Then they transition right into Streets :drool:

Then they need to add Bad or With or Without You or All I want is You to the set list right after Running to Stand Still

Ok shit, I might as well give you what I think the set list should look like

1. Vertigo - Stories for Boys
2. The Fly
3. Zoo Station
4. Electric Co
5. ABOY
6. Beautiful Day
7. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
8. Original of the Species
9. God Part II
10. Love and Peace or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet the Blue Sky (both bullet and SBS need more energy from Bono though)
13. Running to Stand Still
14. Bad
15. Walk On

16. Pride
17. Miracle Drug
18. Streets
19. One

20. COBL
21. Gloria
22. Yahweh
23. 40

So the setlist doesn't change a ton, just rearange it a bit to flow better. (Plus God Part II emailed me the other day begging to be played next to LAPOE :shifty: )

kevolution said:
totally agree with chizip 100% - same for zootv version of mysterious ways- much better
although would add that the versions of the new songs are very good. I despised Yahweh and didnt think too much of All because of You until i heard them live- Yaweh in particular is brilliant

I think Yaweh live is much better than on the album. I didn't hate it on the album, but live it becomes really beautiful, imho :)

martha said:
Chiz, I'm not talking about which version of which song is better. I mean the music, the talent, the instruments, the way the band blends and plays.

yes well my point was maybe the reason people arent overly gushing about the show is because they have already heard better versions of most of these songs

and dalton, i was at that game today, carpenter was amazing, the cardinals pitching is very underrated

oh and dalton, where were you along the rail for the second phoenix show, i was along the rail pretty far to the right, check out my journal for some pics

kellyahern said:

I think Yaweh live is much better than on the album. I didn't hate it on the album, but live it becomes really beautiful, imho :)

i agree, i was never really fond of yahweh on the album, but live its beautiful

i think all the songs off the cd sound great live, they are really what make this tour great

vertigo
miracle drug
sometimes
love and peace
city of blinding lights
all because of you
yahweh
original of the species

they are all just amazing songs in concert, in my opinion much better than the group of songs off atyclb, but thats just me

Chizip said:

i agree, i was never really fond of yahweh on the album, but live its beautiful

i think all the songs off the cd sound great live, they are really what make this tour great

vertigo
miracle drug
sometimes
love and peace
city of blinding lights
all because of you
yahweh
original of the species

:yes:

Love and Peace live is amazing! :rockon:

Dalton said:

Martha was the sound shit at the shows you saw? It was in Phoenix. I was along the rail of the elipse outside at both shows.

I was right in front of the mixing board on the floor for Phoenix two, so I heard what Joe heard. The sound was great! :drool:

Anaheim 1 I was up in the rafters on Adam's side. The bass was too loud and Bono was hard to hear at some points. Anaheim 2 I didn't notice anything off.

It's always too loud for me at any rock show. My hearing is slightly compromised.

Edit: I have noticed Bono removing his earpieces for a spell at all three shows. Don't know what this may mean.

Haven't seen Vertigo yet, but I'm counting the minutes (and I won't be seeing them till November...) To me, Bono's vocals have changed and matured so much that I wonder what his secrets are to keeping it sounding good live. Nevertheless, the first time I heard HTDAAB, my first thought was "Wow, Bono sounds great (albeit scratchy and a little on the shallow side), but he is REALLY gonna hafta to rely on the guys for help during these shows." Has that been the case?

Dalton said:

I am surprized by the "most passion from the band" comment. I haven't seen it yet on this tour. While I agree that this tour is infinantely cooler than Elevation, it seems to me like Bono is holding back. I can't remember a show (let alone tour) that he seemed so reserved.

Well I was fortunate in that the only two shows I have seen this tour were Anaheim2 and Phoenix2, and both were incredible incerdible shows. And yes, they were passionate in a way I haven't seen them before. Maybe my feeling about this comes from my life experience, and maybe its just my interpretation of the show - maybe you will not feel the same at all when you see it.

But then again, I was 16 when I saw Joshua Tree. I am now 33. When I was 16 I just thought they were a great rock band, and how "cool" it would be to be a rock star. I think how I feel about the band is a lot different now, as now I look at them as adults like me who get up every morning, raise their families, work hard (granted, their job is infinitely more kick ass than mine!), and they are all in their early to mid 40s.

At my age, and position in life, I am more in awe that they have the drive and energy, and yes, passion, to do what they do repeatedly, night after night. I have had to travel a bit for work, and I can't imagine having to constantly travel like they do. So maybe when I say ithis show seems to have more passion, that is what I mean. They seem to want it more now than ever before. And Bono is definitely very passionate about his causes, and I love him all the more for it. I don't know, its hard to explain, but with age comes appreciation for the amount of effort these guys have to go through every day to put on these amazing shows.

I must preface this by saying I haven't been to a vertigo show, or indeed any U2 show. Unfortunately, they didn't tour Australia during elevation, and are yet to announce when/if they will tour here. I hope like hell they do tour early 2006 as rumoured, and will possibly disown them if they don't. I guess the point I'm making is that all I know about them live is from recordings and DVDs, photos etc.

I don't think this tour is as good as previous tours. The set in all seriousness is dull, the light curtains the one exception. The elipse is essentially the same as the heart. It's OK, I guess, because it puts more focus onto the band. I look forward to the outdoor shows in europe. I remember hearing a quote before the tour was announced that if U2 were to play in stadiums, it is a responsibility that they would take very seriously. With any luck, willie's working on a spectacular set for europe.

The setlists have been very static. They have an enormous catalogue of songs, but continuously play much the same set. There is no element of surprise apart from at the first few shows. They are playing the right quota of new songs in my opinion, but again, it's the same ones. Yahweh and Miracle Drug are weak songs on the album and live, and could be easily left out occassionally for crumbs from your table and a man and a woman in particular, or also for original of the species which I think they may have played once.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, most of the songs have already been performed with more passion, better sound, better version etc. How could the surrent version of SBS compare with the Rattle and Hum version. Elevation is different, but not the in your face rock tune that is needed on this tour (it needed to be scaled up, not down). One is too sentimental, and highlights Bono's efforts to NOT be political in the ways he used to be, now employing subtlety rather than rousing anger. It also relies on sequenced keyboard rather than Bono and Edge on guitar a la Zoo TV.

Much has been written about Bono and his drumming. It's a nice novelty, and I would love it if he did it well, but on some of the recordings i've heard he was completely off the beat. The same can be said for his tambourine intro to all because of you... or perhaps edge just wasn't playing in time with the tambourine! I feel Bono would be better served pulling his own guitar out every now and then... I love him on guitar, but it seems to be less and less that he plays. Does he play much guitar on this tour??? I think i can hear some extra guitar in all because of you during edge's solo. Hopefully it's not a sequencer. And as bad as bono is on the drums, Larry's keyboard, whilst an OK effort, is not up to scratch for the best band in thew world.

Anyway, just some food for thought for y'all...

arzcrack said:
I must preface this by saying I haven't been to a vertigo show, or indeed any U2 show. Unfortunately, they didn't tour Australia during elevation, and are yet to announce when/if they will tour here. I hope like hell they do tour early 2006 as rumoured, and will possibly disown them if they don't. I guess the point I'm making is that all I know about them live is from recordings and DVDs, photos etc.

I don't think this tour is as good as previous tours. The set in all seriousness is dull, the light curtains the one exception. The elipse is essentially the same as the heart. It's OK, I guess, because it puts more focus onto the band. I look forward to the outdoor shows in europe. I remember hearing a quote before the tour was announced that if U2 were to play in stadiums, it is a responsibility that they would take very seriously. With any luck, willie's working on a spectacular set for europe.

The setlists have been very static. They have an enormous catalogue of songs, but continuously play much the same set. There is no element of surprise apart from at the first few shows. They are playing the right quota of new songs in my opinion, but again, it's the same ones. Yahweh and Miracle Drug are weak songs on the album and live, and could be easily left out occassionally for crumbs from your table and a man and a woman in particular, or also for original of the species which I think they may have played once.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, most of the songs have already been performed with more passion, better sound, better version etc. How could the surrent version of SBS compare with the Rattle and Hum version. Elevation is different, but not the in your face rock tune that is needed on this tour (it needed to be scaled up, not down). One is too sentimental, and highlights Bono's efforts to NOT be political in the ways he used to be, now employing subtlety rather than rousing anger. It also relies on sequenced keyboard rather than Bono and Edge on guitar a la Zoo TV.

Much has been written about Bono and his drumming. It's a nice novelty, and I would love it if he did it well, but on some of the recordings i've heard he was completely off the beat. The same can be said for his tambourine intro to all because of you... or perhaps edge just wasn't playing in time with the tambourine! I feel Bono would be better served pulling his own guitar out every now and then... I love him on guitar, but it seems to be less and less that he plays. Does he play much guitar on this tour??? I think i can hear some extra guitar in all because of you during edge's solo. Hopefully it's not a sequencer. And as bad as bono is on the drums, Larry's keyboard, whilst an OK effort, is not up to scratch for the best band in thew world.

Anyway, just some food for thought for y'all...
LOL just one word for you "whatever"

:ohmy:Jaysis!!! After all that negativity Arzcrack, it's a wonder that you're so anxious for them to come over to Australia - sounds like you've disowned them already.

arzcrack said:

The setlists have been very static. They have an enormous catalogue of songs, but continuously play much the same set.

One is too sentimental, and highlights Bono's efforts to NOT be political in the ways he used to be, now employing subtlety rather than rousing anger. It also relies on sequenced keyboard rather than Bono and Edge on guitar a la Zoo TV.

2 quick opinions regarding this post:

Considering U2's touring history, the setlists on this tour have been amazingly varied. They have never been a band to pull a Grateful Dead and mix it up every night. ZooTV was almost completely static, and on many if not most nights in the 80s, they stuck to a basic setlist, sometimes even playing identical ones back to back in the same city. Examples of this go back to the October tour.

Also, the ZooTV version of One relied heavily on sequencers too. There was as much keyboard in the song then as there is now.

Last edited:
arzcrack said:

I don't think this tour is as good as previous tours.

Wow. Funny AND irrelevant in the same post! That is tough to do.

Congrats:huh:

People are complaining because expectation levels are so incredibly high. Look at the traffic on this site alone following each concert, each set list, pictures of each person brought up on stage, etc.

We know more about this tour before we attend than any previous tour.

arzcrack said:
I must preface this by saying I haven't been to a vertigo show, or indeed any U2 show.

Well that certainly explains all your misconceptions. I find it funny that without having seen this tour or any previous tour you can seriously say that this tour is worse than previous ones. Listening to bootlegs just does not compare to actually experiencing a concert in person. Had you been to a show on this tour or any previous tour, you'd realize that:

1)The set is anything but dull and up to standard with U2's past tours
2)U2 have never been one to mix up their setlists, so the lack of "mixing it up" is nothing new at all.
3)They have been nailing Miracle Drug and Yahweh seems to be a crowd and fan favorite. Larry's keyboard not up to the U2 standard? Please. U2 have never been about flaunting technical proficiency. The keyboard adds a very nice touch to the song. As for Bono's guitar playing, I don't think you'll find it much better than the drumming...
4)Despite the fact that U2 may have performed the songs in the past with more energy, or they may have played them faster, they're still playing them extremely well and are trying to change up the sound in a few of the songs (Bullet most notably).

I won't bother arguing each little point in excessive detail, but I really don't understand how people who have never seen U2 live can hold such strong opinions about how the tours are, when all they have to base their opinions off of are setlists and a handful of bootlegs.

there is a scrapiness to the band this tour that I am digging - reminds me of the JT days and prior.

Back
Top Bottom