Is GA really worth it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I mean, I've heard that the only way to get close to the stage is to get to the venue like two days in advance and wait in line for hours upon hours. If you don't get there that early, is it even worth being stuck at the back end of the floor, or is that still a good spot for an arena show? I have so many questions about this, and I really need some answers so I know what kind of tickets are best suited for me. On one hand, I really want to be at the front of the stage, but on the other, I'm not going to wait overnight in line. I WOULD wait for maybe 8 or 10 hours, but not overnight. And I know seats are more convenient, but I can't imagine it's that great being stuck up at the top of the arena in the nosebleeds. Any past experiences or suggestiong would be great.

If you want to chat at length, feel free to email me at
lancemc@comcast.net

Thanks guys.:wave:

For me the GA's are better, but not for the sake of trying to get up to the stage. I just hate being seated at a gig, as I find it quite restrictive.

If it so happens I get near the stage then sweet, but it's not the be all and end all of the concert for me at all.

At this stage, I'm just bloody happy to have tix!!

stevec said:
For me the GA's are better, but not for the sake of trying to get up to the stage. I just hate being seated at a gig, as I find it quite restrictive.

If it so happens I get near the stage then sweet, but it's not the be all and end all of the concert for me at all.

At this stage, I'm just bloody happy to have tix!!
my thoughts exactly:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I never could understand it... I mean to be in the Heart is something special, but you wait in line outside all that time to run inside and get a spot. What if you have to take a piss? There goes your spot... And by waiting in that line to get in, there goes all your tailgate time, which to me, is half the experience of a concert...

I'll take a seat any day of the week

Yeah, GA tickets are crap unless you plan on lining up as early as possible and end up near the front, or at least next to the side of the heart where you could high five Bono or something. I just don't see how being down in there could be that great unless you are in the front though.

However, given the $49 price, it's definitely the best risk worth taking. However, I'd rather pay $160 for a good seat like the one I have, then even think about paying scalpers for a GA ticket. A GA ticket from a scalper is basically a bet of a few hundred dollars, hoping that you just might end up with a good view in the GA floor section.

GA isn't that bad. Most fans are pretty understanding. I did the heart twice during Elevation and we had rules like you could leave the line for up to half-hour to get food or something.

Yes, it's worth it.

stevec said:

Same here. I won't camp out for 2 days to be near the stage, I just can't stand being seated. And so far only tickets I have are seats... oh well at least I got tickets. :slant:

I got in line around 10 am in Toronto and was in the heart right up front, I was standing (during the concert) right along side people who showed up at 5am, but maybe I was just lucky.

clip51 said:
I never could understand it... I mean to be in the Heart is something special, but you wait in line outside all that time to run inside and get a spot. What if you have to take a piss? There goes your spot... And by waiting in that line to get in, there goes all your tailgate time, which to me, is half the experience of a concert...

I'll take a seat any day of the week

Make sure you take a friend to save your spot. If you get there early enough, make some "friends" with the other die hard fans and everything is cool. During Elevation, I went to the Tacoma, Portland and L.A. shows and got into the heart each time. I showed up at about 10am the day of each show. There is nothing that compares to being that close, seats are crap once you've experienced that (and they are more expensive too!).

Lancemc said:
I mean, I've heard that the only way to get close to the stage is to get to the venue like two days in advance and wait in line for hours upon hours. If you don't get there that early, is it even worth being stuck at the back end of the floor, or is that still a good spot for an arena show? I have so many questions about this, and I really need some answers so I know what kind of tickets are best suited for me. On one hand, I really want to be at the front of the stage, but on the other, I'm not going to wait overnight in line. I WOULD wait for maybe 8 or 10 hours, but not overnight. And I know seats are more convenient, but I can't imagine it's that great being stuck up at the top of the arena in the nosebleeds. Any past experiences or suggestiong would be great.

If you want to chat at length, feel free to email me at
lancemc@comcast.net

Thanks guys.:wave:

I have spent upward of 40 hours in line (for Elevation) with GA tickets to see U2. For me it is a religious experience. You come to know almost everyone in line at least 100 people near/around you. No Joke! After that much time you really know these people, some of which I still email about U2, etc. I imagine it will be the same for this tour. I loved every minute, even when I was almost frozen to the core in Salt Lake City, or burned out of my shoes in New Jersey.

It is an insane ride! In Boston when they started hand picking young, fresh, looking people not all of which had spent all night in line: I was so pissed off I almost didn’t go into the show, that is until my wife got picked and made them bring me along, but that is a story for another time. I still shudder to think that U2 did that.

To your real question: “Is it worth it?” The answer: yes and no. I would say Yes if you are willing to pay the price of standing in line and ready to brave not only the crowd but the elements and the exhaustion. I would say no because now that I have been through that multiple times I am not sure I want to go down that road again. It is…intense, to say the least. Now that I am getting older I may not be up to that kind of commitment in time and energy, but if you are up to it I highly recommend it, at least once. I still may give the GA “experience” a go, but most likely not until the show is truly polished and GA is even better during the 3rd leg.

Re: Re: Is GA really worth it???

RobVox said:
if you are willing to pay the price of standing in line and ready to brave not only the crowd but the elements and the exhaustion.

Aaaaw nuts! I didn't take the Scottish weather in June into account. For those non-Scots, our weather in June is much the same as the other months - WET! :(

Hope they're selling tour hats!

Most people even in the seats arent sitting at least in Canadian shows although this will be my first US show that I have went to so we will see the difference in crowd energy.

Yahweh said:
Most people even in the seats arent sitting at least in Canadian shows although this will be my first US show that I have went to so we will see the difference in crowd energy.

Some people in the US just want to sit and they think you are rude if you stand up.

At all the U2 concerts in which I had seats, everyone was standing so...............

I've been to concerts where the people behind you would get pissed because you were standing and they would call you names and what not. It's a freaking concert!

Not as bad as it sounds really. I got to Elevation Vegas at 9am, and was able to get into the heart. It was actually fun because there were a lot of other interferencers there and everyone had their spot in line and we all actually had #'s on our hands so we could mingle and chat with other fans throughout the day, and when the time came to go in, everyone lined back up into their spot.

For Oakland I didnt get there until 4pm and I got a nice 2nd row spot right outside the heart. Most U2 fans are courteous and understand if you have to go to the bathroom.. and usually you are with a friend so they just hold your spot for you. Even if you are on GA floor towards the middle or back I still think its a better experience and a better view than the seats.

Although judging from how crazy this whole ticket thing has been I have a feeling GA might be even crazier this time.

The 3 times I have seen them, twice in lower level seating, the entire section was standing. But after experiencing being that close to band like I was for the Brooklyn Bridge show, I will definitely check out the GA

The seats can be sick though if you're in the front row.........which I am in San Jose! You always get a consistent view of the band with nobody getting in the way, so that's cool. Plus, I don't really care for Kings of Leon, so I can sit down and still watch their show (and sit during the break between bands and U2's encores).

Somebody told me to sit down last time and I didnt sit down I told them just because you dont know this song doesnt mean its not good. "Gone" was being played at that time and they were happy to stand during the big hits but wanted to sit down during some of the other songs. Too bad they had to stand up the whole show and I wasnt ashamed of it either lol

definately worth it - if you can hack it

I was in the heart for 2 of the shows last tour and it was UNBELIEVABLE. However we got there at least by 7am both times. The first show i was in the heart, front of the heart, right under Bono. UNREAL. The second time we decided to be more lax and didn't push to be right in the front row. It was a good experience in the back of the inside of the heart b/c there was a lot more room to walk around. If it wasn't for my good friend standing behind me during the first show I would have gotten squished. Yeah U2 fans are friendly but when it comes to it EACH PERSON is on their own when it comes to being that close to godliness :) you get my drift. You have to wait all day, you bond with people around you but i'd recommend waiting with a friend and taking turns for bathroom, food breaks. The people working the venues were really nice and understood our love of the band and let us stay there which was great. Both shows I went to it was 1st come 1st serve into the heart as it should be. none of that picking crap. If you haven't been GA at least once you should try it. As someone else said it's a religious experience. :)

i was inside the heart for the elevation tour. i started waiting in line at 9 AM. there was already quite a long line ahead of me...some people were there since friday night and the show was monday. i might have been the 260-something person in line. but i got a pretty good spot, about 2-3 people behind the front stage. you'd be surprised how many people can fit inside. i got some great photos of bono and the edge. the crowd is pretty chill, and if you have to go to the bathroom or buy a beer, they're nice enough to save your spot. also, you can leave the line to get food or whatever, just as long as you don't leave for 2 hours.

i was super tired by the end of the show, standing for 2+ hours, but i say it's worth it. it is probably the best concert experience i've ever had.

i highly recommend it but only if you are cool about putting up with the discomforts of waiting all day to get a good spot and standing the whole time. if you don't get a good spot and you're short like me, get seats.

OK thanks guys, your input really helped to settle a lot of questions I had about things. This time, I think I'm ust going to stick to my nosebleed reserved seats. If I can see them again on the thrid leg though, I think I just might try for the GA!

I have mixed opinions on GA vs Seats. I am hoping to go 2 sitting, and 2 standing on this tour if possible. When I saw them and had seats, pretty much everyone stood up through the entire gig. It all depends how lucky you are with the people in your seating area.

Of course standing also can depend on what the crowd around oyu is like, how near you are to the stage, how tall people in front of you are!! But you do get to have a good jump around :)

Both are good in different ways :)

LoL yeah I'd like to know about that too. I'm barely 5"4, will I get crushed? And how fast are GA's selling this time?

I had GA tickets for the fall Elevation show in Phoenix and it was a great experience except that some wanker tried to get me and my buddy kicked out for lighting up some cigarettes. Even called us Daddio. We were 3rd row outside the heart on Edge's side. Meanwhile, there is some chick up against the security barrier having a smoke right in fron of security. Sorry to vent but it is a fucking rock concert not Yanni at the Acropolis. And I have been clean and sober for nearly 15 years and I would never hassle anyone lighting up some weed.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit.

I think GA are definitely worth it. I hate seats sooo much.

You don't have to get there that early. I arrived at Earls Court and had to wait for the doors to open to get my ticket from the box office (I got a ticket on the phone that afternoon and had to collect it). I still got a great position just outside the heart.

Mind you that was a pretty small indoor venue. I wouldn't want to be in that kind of position at a huge stadium. I will be arriving about 8am I think. I don't mind waiting outside - I've always had a good laugh outside.

The thing about GA is that you don't have to do that. You can go to the arena at the same time you would go if you have seats and just go in, you don't have to wait outside for hours sitting on the pavement. You won't be up at the front, but you will see fine from farther back, and you don't have to be crowded, you can stay back by the seating areas or the sound board area. I wish that they would just give people priority #'s and let them in based on that so no one had to camp out, then you'd just go there, get your wrist band, and you could leave until it was time to go in, and everybody would be let in based on their wrist band #. But considering this "presale" there's about as much chance of anything logical and helpful happening, as getting fan club tickets.

You're standing at a U2 show for most of it anyway, might as well save $150, and stand in the GA area, you're closer to the stage anyway, and you can move around, it's really kind of fun. If you want to be up at the very front, then presumeably this time again you'll have to sit outside for hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom