Is Edge actually playing guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That riff is SO EASY and for a guy who's been playing guitar for nearly a decade - I suck. I don't know who's playing it because I haven't watched, but I have a hard time believing that they cheat like that.

Also, I don't believe I read this in this theard, but it's worth mentioning, just for a point of reference. U2 is tuned down a half step when they play live. The album versions of songs are usually on key, but they tune down live because it makes it easier to sing. Try playing Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bad or All I Want Is You, or a host of others, along with a live recording to find out.

It is not a wah, or the filter factory that he is using now. It is actually a Kay Fuzztone in a new enclosure (now called the "Raab Fuzz" as Raab is the tech who re-housed it). A Kay Fuzztone is an orange plastic pedal that has a rocker pedal, so it would not stand up to touring. When this pedal is "rocked" the tone is changed. The change in tone is what you are hearing going in and out on the Elevation intro.

It's definitely the electrix. During one of the SJ shows we were on the rail in front of edge, you can clearly see the tempo sync of the electrix pulse to the tempo of elevation, and the bypass light was not on. It could be possible that the signal passed through the electrix and the fuzz to get a more distorted tone though.....but if the kay fuzz pedal requires manual rocking, then it's definitely not that. Edge doesn't have a foot on his pedal during the intro for this tour, he has the tempo sync set to auto sweep.

Last edited:
So Edge is playing the intro to Elevation then?

I remember from watching a few u2exit.com press videos seeing the soundboard guys cueing up what appeared to be backing tracks to a song or two, and the Elevation intro was one of them. It sounded exactly like the intro from the album and it does really sound too perfect. I am still not sure really.

As far as backing tracks on this tour go, Edge is doing a fantastic job. He has done away with the high slide bit backing on ABOY that he used Under The Brooklyn Bridge.

All I can remember hearing guitar backing from my latest bootleg was maybe Dallas playing rhythm guitar during The Fly solo, the usual little backing bits during One, and I'm probably forgetting one little one but that's nearly it.

*woosh*

90% of this thread went right over my head. ;)

I did skim read part of the Bass Playing for Dummies though, but not so much written about wah pedals.

A slide is that metal thing Edge has on his finger, so what is it called when you hit a note, then run your finger all the way up or down the fretboard? Gotta be a technical term for it, but I call it a slide. :reject:

Canadiens1160 said:
So Edge is playing the intro to Elevation then?

All I can remember hearing guitar backing from my latest bootleg was maybe Dallas playing rhythm guitar during The Fly solo, the usual little backing bits during One, and I'm probably forgetting one little one but that's nearly it.

Bono plays guitar during The Fly non?

TC2290 said:

The worst offender is Bono, Check out Walk On from the Boston DVD, he just pretends to play Edge's main high riff which is on a backing track.

I've always wondered that and have mentioned it here a few times.

what is so perplexing to me is that edge plays that riff EVERY other time I've seen them, even on tv at the grammys 2002, jay leno, tribute to heros......it's obviously played by edge live.

why oh why did they do that at boston that night?
and, it's not the kind of riff you can jump around or march to like bono does....when edge does it he's standing perfectly still.

I like the Boston version better because Edge does a hell of a job on the rhythem parts of the song... The high riff Bono does are not important to me... The rhythem part is the heart of the song IMO

ZeroDude said:

Bono plays guitar during The Fly non?
Oh shit Bono has a guitar during Fly? In that case it might be him then. i need to finish this torrent from opening night then so I can watch a show :drool:

thrillme said:

A slide is that metal thing Edge has on his finger, so what is it called when you hit a note, then run your finger all the way up or down the fretboard? Gotta be a technical term for it, but I call it a slide. :reject:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's usually referred to as sliding as well. It just doesn't sound as nice as it does with a metal slide, though. :wink:

The best is when you combine the sliding action with natural harmonics. New Year's Day. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's usually referred to as sliding as well. It just doesn't sound as nice as it does with a metal slide, though. :wink:

The best is when you combine the sliding action with natural harmonics. New Year's Day. :drool:

Sculpting sound:drool: :drool:

I heard a rumor that the Edge is a robot, and that all the sounds are processed from a computer and then played with the touch of a keyboard by a computer tech below the stage. So while technically it may be true he's playing the intros, truthfully it's the computer tech below the stage....:ohmy:

These threads crack me up.:lol:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I heard a rumor that the Edge is a robot, and that all the sounds are processed from a computer and then played with the touch of a keyboard by a computer tech below the stage. So while technically it may be true he's playing the intros, truthfully it's the computer tech below the stage....:ohmy:

:ohmy:

I think you're on to something. All this time, we've been deceived! The horror! THE HORROR!

GibsonGirl said:

Ah cool. Actually it was Adam who I noticed doing the sliding thing on the bass guitar, but he didn't use a metal slide.

----------------

Robot Edge, hmm, a.k.a. the scientist of the band, techy of the group...it does make sense. ;)

OffAxis said:
Edge does play the intro to Elevation, as well as EBTTRT.

The intro to elevation is a very simple riff (I emphasize simple b/c it is only two notes). The sound is just really processed and goes through a phaser.

EBTTRT is similar. He's just hitting an double A note on the Rick 12 string, then using the whammy pedal (not the wah) to make the intro sounds.

yeah i noticed this 2, are u sure its not just a wah pedal oh ebttrt??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom