Is Bono using a teleprompter????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as we all listen to U2 music and THINK we know the words, think of how it would be to try singing the words without looking at the lyrics and not having Bono to accompany you. You'd f**k up too. Even though he wrote the songs, he's no different than you or me. Sure it's his job, but I kind of enjoy the spontaneity of a missed lyric....he's HUMAN!! And we love him...:heart: :heart: :heart:

packcrush said:
If you watch the New Order 511 - Live at Finsbury Park DVD, you'll see Bernard Sumner use one. And doesn't David Bowie have a big book of song lyrics on stage too? It's not a big deal.

I noticed that last week when i was watching New Order 511.They were playing a lot of Joy Division classics and some older NewOrder material that hadn't been heard in ages. NewOrder has always been a quarky bunch so it fit right in.

The one he was using was a flat computer screen. Teleprompters have come a long way.

I was watching Bono intently, through binoculars no less, from the side of the stage at Phoenix 2 and the only time I noticed he actually used the teleprompter was during One. Although it was running for all the songs, he obviously doesn't use it all the time.

Didn't bother me. I like when he screws up and adds new lyrics. :)

These are his songs, he can do whatever the fuck he wants to
Change them, forget them, his allowed to do everything he wants

I was on the rail in front of Edge for LA 1. Bono had a small music stand on the floor, just ahead of his monitors, with lyrics to a couple songs.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned his use of teleprompter on the Zoo TV video. I remember reading in the U2 Bible (aka At the End of the World) that Bono actually had a bunch of other stuff written for his MacPhisto speech that would have been really controversial had he said it, but he chickened out/used better judgement. (I did the "/" so that this won't start an argument about whether it was "right or wrong to offend people", so you just pick the one that matches your opinion and insert it into the sentence.)

they are moving up with the technology. on the elevation tour many times, there would be type written peices of paper taped down in front of Bono with lyrica on them. I was front row center for the charolotte elevation show, and he was reading the lyrics more than once. bono is quite good at dramatically kneeling down to look at the words, when he forgets. He hides it well. there was a show i think in austin, where a fan picked up the lyrice sheet, and bono said something to the effect you caught me i don't know the words, so you can hold the paper now. He go the fan to hold the paper p forhim top read as he sang.

all that said, who cares- if he needs a little help now and then. doesn't change the show any for me.

Remember that as artists these people write and sing how they feel. Many of the older songs may no longer feel the same way to them and they may choose to modify or improvise instead to fit their current moods and feelings. Clearly it's possible to forget lyrics but unless it's a blatently obvious mistake, we may not want to rule out the possibility that it's intentional.

My business deals with primarily with artists and these guys don't like to paint the a picture twice, even if their work is very successful. This is something people can forget about artists. They are a creative, very fickle and emotional bunch whose works can be intensely personal and in the moment.

As for the teleprompter, I'm not dicouraged by that. Maybe it provides them with the opportunity to modify the set list at any time during the show to suit their emotions, allowing them to choose songs arbitrarily and have the lyrics of a song that they haven't played since - say 1984 - at their fingertips?

Jon

I have seen all the tours since the Joshua Tree. I have never seen a teleprompter in use and I know a thing or two about their rigs.

If someone says they have seen it in use during this tour, than so be it, but if they were confused and possibly saw a music stand than I feel that is different.

I do not like that they would use a teleprompter, and I could care less if its their songs and they can do whatever they want. I just think it is not natural to have the words to the songs you wrote prompted to you as the song continues. I would rather hear made up lyrics.

I think one of the first acts to use this, by the way, was the Rolling Stones on their Steel Wheels tour.

The more I think about it the more horrible I think it is...

ulove2 said:
Do you think maybe his shades are prescription (as to why he never seems to take them off anymore) would certainly make it easier to read a telepromter...

Maybe his shades are really screens that show the lyrics right in front of him where ever he is. A portable teleprompter. Maybe that's why he never takes them off during the shows.

Bono said one time that he still gets sick to his stomach and often vomits before a show because he is so nervous.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with forgetting the lyrics he's written and "should" know so well.
We all love it when he improvises Puget Sound and rainy Seattle into his songs when he's playing Seattle. Or how any other time he improvises YOUR city into the songs.

And as for the shades, Bono took them off for quite a few songs during the Seattle 4-25 set.
I saw those piercing blue eyes...and all disappeared around me......................
lalala..........still runnin..........still runnin................

Ladera Heights said:
The teleprompter's there, and I wish Bono would actually use it. He's fucked up lyrics so many times on this tour its kind of disappointing. But he deserves a pass for all the Africa work he's doing. Remembering lyrics is really not that important relative to the problems in Africa. Go Bono!

Well, no I'm not going.

I guess for me my only concern is that I used to brag to my buddy that Bono doesn't need a teleprompter. Meanwhile his hero, Axl Rose, not only needed a teleprompter but was glued to it.

Now I look foolish :) Thanks Bono!

No one has mentioned Bruce Springsteen yet? :ohmy:

And oh, I saw at one of the Arnhem Elevation concerts that a roadie held the lyrics to Staring At The Sun when he performed it at the tip of the heart. That piece of paper even had the chords on them!

:D

Thats just under-rehersal martjn! from what i've read somewhere else, this teleprompter ONLY shows what song is coming up next. I suppose with varied setlists it is easy for edge or adam to start playing the wrong song and throw the whole thing off

i forget which one of the elevation concerts i went to, but he needed a print out of the lyrics for wild honey.

honestly, i dont give 5 rats shits less. he obviously isnt staring there looking at the screen the whole concert. he probably glances at it when he can/needs to and thats it.

I have no problem with Bono using a teleprompter. U2 have quite a catalogue, if he needs a little help for one verse here or there, fine, use it.

Keep in mind, as mentioned in this thread, that the teleprompter might also be there for Edge and Adam's benefit. I'm sure the thing is also used to show the next song or parts of the setlist, as the only other place I've seen the setlist written down for a band member was Larry's usual printout.

Yes, I remember the roadie holding the lyrics on the Elevation Tour

I don't care about that or a prompter, but I am still curious about Bono pulling his pant leg down over his shoe constantly on stage during one of the Elevation shows I went to..I don't know if that was a one night only thing or a constant habit.

Which is worse? Bono using a teleprompter or Larry Mullen hacking out notes with his thumbs like a 3rd grader on a keyboard with the chords pasted to the stand? Now that is lame.

Maybe if the people here didnt complain so much about Bono "forgetting" the lyrics then he wouldnt have one there...but he does and if he uses it let him use it...I think hes moving around far too much to be using it often though.

I saw the teleprompter very clearly in Seattle. I was behind the stage. It did announce what song was next and then the words started rolling. Didn't really care and it was kind of exciting to know what song they were going to play. Can only imagine how hard it is to remember the words to all the songs.

Klink said:
Maybe it provides them with the opportunity to modify the set list at any time during the show to suit their emotions, allowing them to choose songs arbitrarily and have the lyrics of a song that they haven't played since - say 1984 - at their fingertips?

Modified setlists :eyebrow: :lol:

Bono's been using a teleprompter since the Zoo TV Tour started, that's the plain facts.

Whether you think he needs it or not he uses one. He and Axl Rose were the first singers in huge bands that I knew used them.

konakitty said:
Can only imagine how hard it is to remember the words to all the songs.

I don't really agree there, and with the other person that was talking about the extensive back catalogue. I mean, I know the words to pretty much every U2 song--even the ones I haven't listened to in ages. Considering they wrote the songs and performed them countless times (like The Fly), I just can't understand how it's really that hard to remember. Bono does seem to be getting better now that they've played a bunch of shows and screwing up the occasional line is understandable; but there wasn't really an excuse for early Vertigo Tour versions of The Fly or Zoo Station. IMO that came off as more unprofessional than anything else.

And it's not like Bono has to remember the words to the entire back catalogue, considering they'll maybe break out 40 songs over the length of the tour.

That said, I'd rather he have the teleprompter to help him rather than mangle songs. Heck, I've seen Eddie Vedder stand there with a sheet of paper or notebook on certain rare songs and I wouldn't frown upon Bono doing the same thing if U2 were to break out some song they haven't played forever.

On a side note, has anybody seen the 8/8/01 boot DVD from Barcelona. Bono is glued to his teleprompter during that one, and it didn't help much (although the song was still pretty good)

nobody reads this

konakitty said:
Can only imagine how hard it is to remember the words to all the songs.

well.. I do... and I think (hope) A LOT of people here does too... I mean.. we ARE U2 geeks, aren't we? :wink:

YEs, I know the lyrics to all the songs... maybe I slip in An Cat Dubh or Electric co, but the rest... easy (like sunday morning.. god I HATE that song :mad: )

Back
Top Bottom