Interesting Post from Zootopia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mkdominatr said:
I believe the 1st 2 shows they play will tell us what were in for...

I think even then, you really can't be certain. Kite, my favorite from All That..., was never played until 14-15 shows into the 1st Elevation Leg. San Jose or Anaheim I believe. That song was a monster live.

Blue Room said:
Those that really know what is going on are. A.) not flapping their gums with that much detail and/or B.) dont have the time currently to be flapping them anyway.

I just wanted to quote that little bit there...

I know I shouldn't "flame" anyone for revealing "inside information," as I, too, have been the target (heh heh pun) of attacks from revealing insider info (albeit I was *actually* told to... ok, I won't go there, whoops, just did! :p)...

Anyhoo :)censored: I gotta lay off the caffeine), yeah... Choice 'A.' :wink:

Cheers,
Mel :shifty:

have to agree wait and see! no disrespect but i think
that first post seems a bit mixed up..

there will be songs from the new Album yes

heres my take and with all thats been played HTDAAB promo tour and rehearsed
(in dublin nov 2004)

Vertigo
city of blinding lights
All because you
jaweh(rehearsed)
original of the species
miracle drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

thats 7 songs so prob add love+peace or else

out of control(rehearsed)
i will follow(rehearsed) and played live in 2004
desire(bbc carpark)
mystery girl(bbc carpark)
Beautiful day(rehearsed+live)

my guess a few from ATYCLB/A-B/J-Tree

should be around 21 to 23 songs

there will be reports no doubt from fans
in vancouver

cheers BB Mac

Last edited:
As for the whole new album before the tour's over shindig, does anyone remember Larry Mullen's "idea" for Mercy when it was left off How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

Perhaps Mercy is meant to be on this next album?

Roland of Gilead said:

I think even then, you really can't be certain. Kite, my favorite from All That..., was never played until 14-15 shows into the 1st Elevation Leg. San Jose or Anaheim I believe. That song was a monster live.

They unveiled it in San Jose - I was there!

:drool:

Re:

i've always loved their records, but this atomic bomb thing is truly awful. i keep trying to get into it... but every time i put it on, i just get a sinking feeling.

I'm sorry for ya. I don't know why it's not clicking with you, but HTDAAB has exceeded my expectations. I find all U2 albums enjoyable, but HTDAAB is on it's way into my top 2. With War at #1, the new album is on par with AB and JT in my list of favs. I seriously didn't expect the new album to be this good. It is FULL OF HEART, and reading through the Deluxe edition booklet helped me to realize this. Different songs, sounds, and lyrics are constantly hitting me for the first time, even though I've listened to it at least 40-50 times. For example, yesterday I saw parallels in the powerful last verse of Out of Control ("One day I'll die/ the choice will not be mine...") and "The heart that hurts is heart that beats/ can you hear the drummer slowing?/ One step closer to knowing...". Miracle Drug's lyrics are as good as any Bono has ever written. I have found ALOT of what I'm looking for musically in HTDAAB. Here's hoping you find something in it for you too.:wink:

Unlike the many other bands, the new stuff is what many U2 fans want to hear instead of the older tunes.

This is SO true. If you've gone to concerts where the artist has been around for more than 8-10 years, then you know how poorly new songs can be received. I've certainly seen my share of that, but with U2, I'll be screaming louder for the new songs than the classics. Way back in '89, Larry made it clear that he did not like playing by-the-numbers greatest hits sets. I love the fact that U2 are always going forward, and do not live in the past. The freshness of new songs being played live is exactly what I'm looking for in this tour. Of course, some rare album tracks would always be welcome. :drool:

dream chaser said:

I just wanted to quote that little bit there...

I know I shouldn't "flame" anyone for revealing "inside information," as I, too, have been the target (heh heh pun) of attacks from revealing insider info (albeit I was *actually* told to... ok, I won't go there, whoops, just did! :p)...

Anyhoo :)censored: I gotta lay off the caffeine), yeah... Choice 'A.' :wink:

Cheers,
Mel :shifty:

Whatever, I'm sure Principle and Interscope would love your site since you are such an insider. ;)

I'm not saying there are not people that know something about what is going on. But the original post and another on a different thread just smell of BS to me. Dallas doesnt disclose this much info. Why on earth when he is so busy right now would he be following up with a Nashville guitar tech???? Then some of the ridiculous freak outs over it is even worse. The band are not even in production rehearsal yet. THAT is when you are going to get an idea of what is going to be done.

I predicted this before, setlist bitching this time out before they even play a show. Some "fans" never disappoint!! :lol:

Does anyone else think that post reeks of Dalkey Beachism? At first I was starting to believe it, but then I remembered that Fake Edge's comments were eerily similar.

Perhaps Dalkey's been busy on Zootopia?

FullonEdge2 said:
Does anyone else think that post reeks of Dalkey Beachism? At first I was starting to believe it, but then I remembered that Fake Edge's comments were eerily similar.

Perhaps Dalkey's been busy on Zootopia?

Dalkey Beachism ........ :lol:

I actually think Dalkey was looking for attention. Most of his/her posts were only a short paragraph which left readers begging for more. This person was obviously fairly in depth, and in my opinion, isn't posting this info for attention purposes. Whether they are telling the truth or not is another story.

boosterjuice said:

Dalkey Beachism ........ :lol:

I actually think Dalkey was looking for attention. Most of his/her posts were only a short paragraph which left readers begging for more. This person was obviously fairly in depth, and in my opinion, isn't posting this info for attention purposes. Whether they are telling the truth or not is another story.

You have a great point about Dalkey's posts being short and minimalist. Is it possible that Dalkey has made an adjustment in post length in order to make him/herself more believable?

I know it's pointless to speculate at this point, especially with the tour less than a month away, at which point we will know for sure, but this does seem suspicious. Does it not?

FullonEdge2 said:
I know it's pointless to speculate at this point, especially with the tour less than a month away, at which point we will know for sure, but this does seem suspicious. Does it not?

'Suspicious' is putting it mildly.

Axver said:

I am not counting versions without the WHOLE band, or incomplete versions. That excludes songs like Wake Up Dead Man and Wild Honey and Peace On Earth.

Pop = 10 out of 12

I think you should count Wake Up Dead Man... I mean, they were giving this song (on PopMart AND STILL on Elevation) around 3 min of the whole show... very regular... so it's a diferent case than with WH and POE wich were used only as intro/outro to other songs or were played barely for 1 minute.
Treat it just like another accoustic song...
Pop = 11 out of 12
(IMO:reject: )

Last edited:
bathiu said:

I think you should count Wake Up Dead Man... I mean, they were giving this song (on PopMart AND STILL on Elevation) around 3 min of the whole show... very regular... so it's a diferent case than with WH and POE wich were used only as intro/outro to other songs or were played barely for 1 minute.
Treat it just like another accoustic song...
Pop = 11 out of 12
(IMO:reject: )

Using my criteria, I have to exclude Wake Up Dead Man, simply because I don't want to create exceptions that will inspire debate. All of Wild Honey was played - but only by Bono and Edge. Much of Wake Up Dead Man has been sung, but the whole band hasn't actually played it. My list was counting solely complete, full band performances. It only counts if Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry played the whole song.

Interestingly, WUDM was played more on Elevation than on Popmart.

Axver said:

Stop running your agenda. There were six ATYCLB regulars on Elevation - and only four were played at every show. At just one PROMO gig, six from HTDAAB were played. In comparison, on ATYCLB's promo tour, only four songs were played, the first three and New York, plus a snippet of Walk On.

Pop only had one song not played at all, The Playboy Mansion, and Wake Up Dead Man has never been done full band.

Here's the total of songs played IN FULL from each album. I am not counting versions without the WHOLE band, or incomplete versions. That excludes songs like Wake Up Dead Man and Wild Honey and Peace On Earth.

Boy = 11 out of 11
October = 9 out of 11
War = 7 out of 10
The Unforgettable Fire = 7 out of 10
The Joshua Tree = 10 out of 11
Rattle And Hum = 8 out of 9
Achtung Baby = 11 out of 12
Zooropa = 7 out of 10
Pop = 10 out of 12
All That You Can't Leave Behind = 7 out of 11

"on the PROMO TOUR, U2 have played as many songs from the new album as they played from ATYCLB in total"

What agenda? It is not true the Bomb promo shows had as many songs played as Elevation tour's Behind songs. (which is what you said, no one said anything about ATYCLB promo shows)

BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk on, Kite, New York, In a little while and Wild honey - was played in full - were played. 8 out of 11, or even 9 out of 12 if you count Ground beneath her feet.
Drop Wild honey all you like - acoustic or not, it was sung in full - that's still 7/11 or 8/12.

On Bomb promo shows, 6 songs were played. (on just one show, most others had 3 or 4 songs) 6 out of 11.

I rest my case.

11 out of 12 for Achtung Baby? Since when? So cruel was never played in full AFAIK, only snippeted. Just like Acrobat.
I see If you wear that velvet dress a a snippet - it's missing the solo on live versions I heard - tagged to Discotheque. 9 out of 12.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Using my criteria, I have to exclude Wake Up Dead Man, simply because I don't want to create exceptions that will inspire debate. All of Wild Honey was played - but only by Bono and Edge. Much of Wake Up Dead Man has been sung, but the whole band hasn't actually played it. My list was counting solely complete, full band performances. It only counts if Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry played the whole song.

Interestingly, WUDM was played more on Elevation than on Popmart.

oh, I see it now, sorry.
With that criteria you are absolutly right.
Thought, you can't blame U2 for not wanting to play all the songs from ATYCLB... ahem...:wink:

BTW... I have a feeling you'll join me in a "certain club" soon...:angel: just a few more posts... hehe...

dream chaser said:
(albeit I was *actually* told to... ok, I won't go there, whoops, just did! :p)...

I'd never blame you Mel but I do blame him for not having had the courage to say something for himself. I was very disappointed and still am, though I'm crazy about him (or was).

I appologize for this is a bit off-topic

U2girl said:
What agenda?

Your continual defense of anything and everything ATYCLB in spite of the facts.

It is not true the Bomb promo shows had as many songs played as Elevation tour's Behind songs. (which is what you said, no one said anything about ATYCLB promo shows)

Do I need to quote myself?

Originally posted by Axver
There were six ATYCLB regulars on Elevation - and only four were played at every show. At just one PROMO gig, six from HTDAAB were played. In comparison, on ATYCLB's promo tour, only four songs were played, the first three and New York, plus a snippet of Walk On.

Read what I said. Only six songs from ATYCLB can be considered to have been regulars on the Elevation Tour, and only FOUR songs from ATYCLB were played on the promo tour - Beautiful Day, Stuck, Elevation, and New York. That was at 2000-12-05, which featured fourteen songs (and a snippet of Walk On in One), and 2001-02-07, which featured seventeen songs. Only FOUR at each were from ATYCLB! Meanwhile, at the only concert of comparable length on HTDAAB's promo tour, eleven songs were played - six from HTDAAB, including one of them twice! In an eleven song set, seven were new on this promo tour. In a seventeen song set, four were new on ATYCLB's promo tour.

Furthermore, six new songs were played at the only decent length concert on this promo tour. That is equal to the total number of REGULARS from ATYCLB on Elevation. That's FACT. At some Elevation shows, as few as five ATYCLB songs were played. That's FACT.

Originally posted by U2girl
BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk on, Kite, New York, In a little while and Wild honey - was played in full - were played. 8 out of 11, or even 9 out of 12 if you count Ground beneath her feet.
Drop Wild honey all you like - acoustic or not, it was sung in full - that's still 7/11 or 8/12.

I guess I need to explain it again.

We are talking about songs played IN FULL by the WHOLE BAND. You can't count The Ground Beneath Her Feet as that was a bonus track in only a few countries, released on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack - that's where it belongs.

Beautiful Day, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, New York - they were the regulars. Six songs. In A Little While was CUT. Sure, it may have been played a good few times at the start of the first leg, but even halfway through that leg, it was falling out of regularity (played at only two out of the four shows in both Chicago and Boston). Though if you're judging by the start of the tour, then you better not count Kite as regular, as the tour had been underway for just under a month before it was even played.

Anyway, as I said, 7 out of 11 ATYCLB songs were played live IN FULL by the WHOLE BAND. The six regulars and In A Little While, as I just mentioned. Wild Honey was ONLY played by BONO AND EDGE. That's NOT the full band and DOES NOT COUNT. Unless, of course, you want me to modify my criteria and include non-full band performances. In that case, I will also have to bring in Wake Up Dead Man for Pop. Then The First Time from Zooropa. Then that opens the door to snippets, which brings in Heartland ... the madness doesn't stop. I drew the line at full band. At full band, 7 out of 11 ATYCLB songs were played.

On Bomb promo shows, 6 songs were played. (on just one show, most others had 3 or 4 songs) 6 out of 11.

I rest my case.

On ATYCLB's promo tour, 4 out of 11 songs were played. On HTDAAB's promo tour, 6 out of 11 were played.

I rest my case.

11 out of 12 for Achtung Baby? Since when? So cruel was never played in full AFAIK, only snippeted. Just like Acrobat.

So Cruel was played in full on 1992-09-09 in Detroit. If you don't believe me, ask Blue Room. He was there. 11 out of 12 for Achtung Baby.

I see If you wear that velvet dress a a snippet - it's missing the solo on live versions I heard - tagged to Discotheque. 9 out of 12.

Go listen to the Las Vegas version. I think 1997-04-28 San Francisco also has the solo. I know at least one bootleg has it, anyway. And even if you look at the Popmart Mexico version, you can't label that a snippet. I will bet everyone here will disagree with you. A snippet is included as part of another song. On Popmart, there was a noticeable end of Edge's grinding Discotheque guitar and a transition to the ringing IYWTVD guitar that lasted over three minutes in many cases. The whole band played the song. It wasn't Bono snippeting lyrics like when he sung Stayin' Alive while the band played Discotheque.

Pop = 10 out of 12.

By the way, if you are intent on including The Ground Beneath Her Feet to boost ATYCLB's count - even though it was only played as a Bono and Edge acoustic and actually doesn't fit into the criteria! - then go find a Japanese copy of Pop. Holy Joe was played in full by the whole band. 11 out of 13 to Pop in that case.

Phew. That should make things abundantly clear. What the hell I'm trying to prove, I can't even remember. Just correcting incorrect information now, I suppose ...

8 songs from ATYCLB were played on the last tour. Despite your known dislike for acoustic songs, Wild honey counts as it was played IN FULL.
Wake up dead man, First time etc are SNIPPETS, not songs done in full.

6 songs were played from the Bomb on the promo tour. (going by "regulars" criteria, 3 to 4 songs were played on most promo shows for the Bomb)

6 out of 11 vs 8 out of 11. Yup, that looks about the same to me.

You compared Bomb promo tour to Elevation, why do you keep bringing in ATYCLB promo shows?

And like I said, it is debatable whether you include Ground... to All that... or not. Holy Joe was a B-side worldwide, BTW.

U2girl, the only real Promo show that was similar to ATYCLB was the BB show. Everything else for the bomb has been 1 or 2 song TV appearances or the BBC thing which was also an abbreviated set. In ATYCLB they played Iriving Plaza, Astroria, Manray and basically played the same songs from ATYCLB. In the Brooklyn Bridge show (which was even before the album release HTDAAB) they covered the album extensively.

This to me is an indication that they will play and want to play most (if not all in some way) on this tour. That's why they are going out on the road, to play this album, to play the album that debuted at # 1 in 32 different coutries.

Oh, and to everyone else bitching and moaning about the original post, note that that was a cut and paste from Zootopia (as I originally stated) and an interesting read. Nothing more, nothing less. Some of you really tend to freak out and should really relax. Everyone knows that no one knows anything until the 1st night or U2 gives an actual interview on the subject.

Luckily I'll be at the first concert and will see first hand what they play and what the show is all about.

U2girl said:
8 songs from ATYCLB were played on the last tour. Despite your known dislike for acoustic songs, Wild honey counts as it was played IN FULL.

Go back and read my post AGAIN. The criteria is a song being played IN FULL by the WHOLE BAND. Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Wild Honey doesn't count. If it does, then you HAVE to count Wake Up Dead Man. It wasn't a snippet of anything. It was played completely separately. Just not by the whole band.

6 songs were played from the Bomb on the promo tour. (going by "regulars" criteria, 3 to 4 songs were played on most promo shows for the Bomb)

We're talking about shows of comparable length. At the Brooklyn Bridge show, the only show of comparable length, U2 played 6 songs from HTDAAB. On the WHOLE ATYCLB promo tour, they only did 4 ATYCLB songs. ONE SINGLE SHOW on the HTDAAB promo tour beats the complete total on the ATYCLB tour!

6 out of 11 vs 8 out of 11. Yup, that looks about the same to me.

Don't compare figures that aren't related in an attempt to fraudulently solidify your argument.

4 out of 11 from ATYCLB on its promo tour versus 6 out of 11 from HTDAAB on its promo tour.

7 out of 11 ATYCLB songs were played on the Elevation Tour. The Vertigo Tour, however, is yet to begin so there is no comparison.

You compared Bomb promo tour to Elevation, why do you keep bringing in ATYCLB promo shows?

Go read my quote again. I compared HTDAAB promo to ATYCLB promo. I then ALSO said that the amount of HTDAAB songs played on the promo tour is equal to the number of ATYCLB regulars on the full tour.

And like I said, it is debatable whether you include Ground... to All that... or not. Holy Joe was a B-side worldwide, BTW.

Ground Beneath Her Feet was on a soundtrack worldwide too. I don't see your point in saying Holy Joe was a b-side worldwide. But anyway, this is an irrelevancy.

Axver said:

Your continual defense of anything and everything ATYCLB in spite of the facts.

The only "agenda" here is to state the facts, that don't support your theory.

Ramblin rose: they did plenty of TV shows for the Bomb too. And again, only one show had 6 songs, most had 3 or 4. The only difference was they played older material in ATYCLB promo shows.

As for indication: U2 playing a lot of the new album on the tour for the album is nothing new. A stronger indication of album's worth will be how many songs will make it on the following tours. IMO.

U2girl said:
The only "agenda" here is to state the facts, that don't support your theory.

I have a theory now? Could you please show me my theory? All I'm doing is pointing out the reality of the situation. I'm not even trying to bash ATYCLB or you. I'm just pointing out the facts because there's far too many untruths believed about setlists. That's part of why I became expert in them, because I want to know more about this overlooked facet of U2.

Ramblin rose: they did plenty of TV shows for the Bomb too. And again, only one show had 6 songs, most had 3 or 4. The only difference was they played older material in ATYCLB promo shows.

Actually, they played plenty of older material at HTDAAB shows too. And they did more variety at HTDAAB promo shows. This has already been analysed in threads on the setlist forum and I won't go into it here. Mainly because I can't be bothered comparing ATYCLB TV appearances with HTDAAB TV appearances because that would require a long post and you still won't listen to me.

Axver said:

Then The First Time from Zooropa.

But you can't play The First Time "full band"...:huh: I think you should count it.

U2girl said:

Those are not snippets... a snippet is (for exapmle) when Bono did a bit of Walk On at the end of One.
WUDM is a regular song done only by Bono and Edge... perhaps you can call it a part "live medley of a few songs"... but it's also a stretch... whatever you'll call it it's not a snippet.

Axver said:

Go back and read my post AGAIN. The criteria is a song being played IN FULL by the WHOLE BAND. Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Wild Honey doesn't count. If it does, then you HAVE to count Wake Up Dead Man. It wasn't a snippet of anything. It was played completely separately. Just not by the whole band.

Going by that, you just negated whole of U2's acoustic sets on the last 3 tours!. Wake up... was not played in full, only 2 verses of so, therefore I call it a snippet. You don't. Fair enough.
But I don't see why a song that was played in full, all verses and words, like Wild honey, shouldn't count simply because it's acoustic?

We're talking about shows of comparable length. At the Brooklyn Bridge show, the only show of comparable length, U2 played 6 songs from HTDAAB. On the WHOLE ATYCLB promo tour, they only did 4 ATYCLB songs. ONE SINGLE SHOW on the HTDAAB promo tour beats the complete total on the ATYCLB tour!

Also, as Elevation tour showed, promo shows don't necessarily mean a lot. They doubled the amount of songs played. Went from 4 to 8. And most Bomb promo shows had 3 to 4 songs.

Don't compare figures that aren't related in an attempt to fraudulently solidify your argument.

4 out of 11 from ATYCLB on its promo tour versus 6 out of 11 from HTDAAB on its promo tour.

OK, my mistake if you are talking about promo tours. My impression was you are comparing Elevation and Bomb promo tour.

7 out of 11 ATYCLB songs were played on the Elevation Tour. The Vertigo Tour, however, is yet to begin so there is no comparison.

Go read my quote again. I compared HTDAAB promo to ATYCLB promo. I then ALSO said that the amount of HTDAAB songs played on the promo tour is equal to the number of ATYCLB regulars on the full tour.

Either compare all songs played in full or count just the regulars. 6 regulars on Elevation tour vs 3/4 regulars on promo tour. 8 songs on the tour vs 6 songs on the promo tour.

Ground Beneath Her Feet was on a soundtrack worldwide too. I don't see your point in saying Holy Joe was a b-side worldwide. But anyway, this is an irrelevancy.

Just saying there is as much reason to include Holy Joe on POP than it is to include Ground... on ATYCLB. Holy Joe was played once. Ground beneath her feet was played on promo tour for ATYCLB and Elevation tour.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I have a theory now? Could you please show me my theory? All I'm doing is pointing out the reality of the situation. I'm not even trying to bash ATYCLB or you. I'm just pointing out the facts because there's far too many untruths believed about setlists. That's part of why I became expert in them, because I want to know more about this overlooked facet of U2.

Actually, they played plenty of older material at HTDAAB shows too. And they did more variety at HTDAAB promo shows. This has already been analysed in threads on the setlist forum and I won't go into it here. Mainly because I can't be bothered comparing ATYCLB TV appearances with HTDAAB TV appearances because that would require a long post and you still won't listen to me. [/B]

The theory that I'm "defending" ATYCLB.

Out of control, I will follow, Desire, Beautiful day. That was it from the older songs.

Yes, the setlists were more varied on Bomb promo shows, no one is arguing that.

Back
Top Bottom