Interesting post about the Ellipse policy and the band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceane

Refugee
This is a post I just saw on Zootopia (in the super-long thread about the Ellipse policy), and I though I would copy it here because it contains some interesting (although doubtful) info. I hope that 'Laurie' is ok with me posting her little story here...

Hi everyone,
I went to the Anaheim show and got lots of insight. Hope this is helpful. I arrived at 7am and there were about 6 people there but I was number 46 because so many people had signed up friends or signed up and left. That was really annoying but it ended up that not everyone came back. When I went in through the gates I was number 31 so that was cool. The u2.com line got to go into two gates and the non u2 members got to go in through one which was supposed to give the members an advantage but I don't think it really did because they had to go to one table to get wristbands and get their tickets scanned for the elipse. I couldn't believe it, my ticket got me into the elipse and they let me take both of my girlfriends because we were in a party of 3! We were front and center and I spoke a lot with a guy who has worked for u2 for over 25 years. I asked him if the band knew how upset we all were about the lottery and he said, oh they know and they are really upset too. They didn't want this at all it is all ticketmaster. They are really upset with ticketmaster and frustrated. So maybe that means that later in the tour they will change things since Bono isn't on board with it. The concert was amazing and I even was given Bono's fly sunglasses which I still am in shock by. The whole night was a magical dream. I have been a fan for 25 years and sat in the last row so many times and thought one day I will be in the front row. Dreams do come true guys!
Laurie

Now I have a hard time believing that Ticketmaster would have so much power over this and that the band would not agree with the system. Plus, U2.com is talking about that policy like it's their great idea and all... Maybe Tickemaster imposed a lottery of some sort, but U2.com and their managment decided on how to do it?

Or maybe this is just crap and that guy doesn't know what he's talking about...

Eh, honestly I'd doubt that "ticketmaster forced them" and "they didn't want to do it" because this isn't some random unsigned band that a was lucky to get into an arena, it's U2. They could have gone with any ticket vender. I'd think that they probably wanted to try it as something new, and maybe decided they don't like it anymore, but for them to be opposed to it from the start, I find highly unlikely.

Yeah...I doubt that Ticketmaster enforced this policy for getting into teh bomb shelter. I think that if it was ticketmaster's idea...it wouldn't be too hard to change.

What stars said! Make it stop!

Not to be disrespectful, or continue this much further, but did this person *not* like the result of this lottery? Seemed to work for them nicely...
No way ticketmaster would have such power I'd think, to come up with a policy and force it on u2.

I happened to come across a phil or polisci paper on something like 'the role of luck in theories/ideas about justice'...this whole deal reminds me of that. I should read the paper, or maybe I shouldn't...
I love the idea of introducing a little element of luck into this scene...
blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel, luckily...

cheerio all!

Techie2000 said:
Eh, honestly I'd doubt that "ticketmaster forced them" and "they didn't want to do it" because this isn't some random unsigned band that a was lucky to get into an arena, it's U2. They could have gone with any ticket vender. I'd think that they probably wanted to try it as something new, and maybe decided they don't like it anymore, but for them to be opposed to it from the start, I find highly unlikely.

I agree, I highly doubt Tickemaster could 'force them' to do it. I don't know what to think about this post, but still it was interesting info. Even if the whole thing is not true, if only the fact that the band knows a lot of people are unhappy and are also not satisfied with the concept, maybe there is hope...

yeah, i don't understand how TM could force a lottery on U2, especially since the last tour it worked completely differently... i definitely think this is something that the U2 organization came up with- maybe they sense that some fans are not happy with it, and are just trying to shift the blame.

one more thing: it's great that a longtime fan like laurie was benefitted by the GA policy. and she got bono's sunglasses- how incredibly lucky!!! :)

Last edited:
I think the guy thought she was talking about the presale, that would make more sense about the band being angry at Ticketmaster and all.....

Yeah, that would make sense, although the girl said she repeated twice that she was talking about the lottery (and not the pre-sale), and they guy seemed serious about the whole thing. Anyways...

Last edited:
She probably misunderstood. The guy who told this to hear, probably thought she was talking about the presale problems.

Edit: I did not see your reply, BigMacPhisto. I think you are right. Sorry for repeating you.

Last edited:
I love how the line nazi's save spots for thier friends - nobody seems angry about that though.

I honestly do believe that U2 wants this "new" system. It's on their own website (I quote: "being first in line guarantees nothing") and that they were unhappy with some fans on the Elevation tour is even mentioned in the U2 Show book. And please noone tell me they were forced to put that in the book or on their website and regret having to do that...

Last edited:
HappyFatBono said:
I love how the line nazi's save spots for thier friends - nobody seems angry about that though.

Exactly, this is the hypocrisy that I have referred to before for those that think the lottery is the worst thing ever. They think it should be first come, first serve, but its ok to save spots for 20 to 30 of their friends?? This happened on Elevation all the time.

I agree with what some of you said, I think the guy thought she was referring to the presale. The word I have heard is that the band is very happy with the lottery system so far. TM has nothing to do with lottery for the elipse. Its U2, their management and the venue that make these decisions.

Blue Room said:

Exactly, this is the hypocrisy that I have referred to before for those that think the lottery is the worst thing ever. They think it should be first come, first serve, but its ok to save spots for 20 to 30 of their friends?? This happened on Elevation all the time.

Oh, I agree that's completely outrageous.

There was a show where I had maybe 20 people in line in front of me yet my number was 68!

I understand people going to the bathroom or to get lunch or to their cars, but when you're gone for 8 hours at a time, tough.

Blue Room said:

No one said saving spots was ok. I think we can all agree that's not acceptable. But the current system does not prevent it from happening still, evidently. People can still abuse the line with that system, and that's one the reasons I think it's crap: it does not solve the main problems it intented to.

The only way to solve the problem of people saving spots for others (for a long time, that is, for short moments it's ok of course) is either to
a) do a REAL lottery (with numbers and one is picked up and so on)
b) have some U2 staff run the GA line with a first come first serve system, instead of self-proclaimed fans

That being, said, my experience with what everyone refers to as the "line nazis" was not nearly as terrible as some have mentioned here. I actually thought their system was well run and very useful. BUT if they did indeed save their friends the best spot for hours, that's just wrong, obviously.

I thought the most interesting part of the post was about letting her bring 2 others into the elipse with her. I went to both San Diego shows and they were strictly enforcing the +1 policy. Anyone else have the same experience she did allowing you to bring in +2? If so, that is a little heartening. Of course what happens when it become +3 or +19?

By the way, I managed to get into the elipse for Show 1 after the lights went down for U2 and it was still only 50% full and not for Show 2. The vibe is WAY better outside the Elipse...dull inside IMHO. Or couse I wasn't on the front rail. I was two people back from the outside rail, and it was incredible. Lottery, blah...but I am not sure the elipse is all that desireable anyway if there is a lottery.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
just to be clear on what I said before...I don't want the lottery to stop, I want the noise about it to stop! (just my desire, not meant disrespectfully...). Has anyone actually had a terrible experience with it all, or is it just the idea of it that's getting people all upset?
It just sounds fine to me, elements of line-vigilance for those who must live that, and elements of freedom/luck/whateverness for those who like that better.
I just so dislike the line-nazi and cheating or not or who was what number and on and on scene, so it makes me happy to think it might be avoidable...the people in the shelter get the whoo-hoo of lucky day, the people who lined up real early still get to run to their favorite rail spot anyway, everyone's happy?! I guess it may make the u2.com members happier, but hell they paid the 40 bucks for it.

perhaps a total lottery would serve to avoid the line craziness altogether, but that would take way too much time and energy..

it hasn't been affecting people enjoying the shows, I hope, has it?!

cheers all...

Last edited:
Maybe the guy from U2 means that because of the Ticketmaster presale stuff up, U2 have implimented the Ellipse Double Line Bleeping policy in an effort to give the fan club members, as distinct from holders of scalper purchased tickets, an advantage.

That was my thoughts before this thread appeared. (and still is my thoughts on this issue)

There is plenty of stories out there of people who experienced the lottery first-hand and had a bad experience.

Like I said, this system does not do anything for the 'line nazi' (don't really like this term) problem.

But you're right, we're on the verge of beating out a dead horse here. I'm still hoping it will change, but hey if it doesn't soon I will shut up, adapt my plans and enjoy the show no matter where I end up!

And yes, the fact that they let 3 people together go in is really cool, although it's hard to make a cut-off. 3 people? 4 people?

The lottery is bullshit. People traveled from all over the world to see that opening show and be in the coveted egg/ellipse/bomb shelter. This policy should have been announced when the tickets went on sale not on the morning of the show. To make it worse it pissed down with rain on everyone about 10 minutes after we were told. Bono was even Boo'd when he thanked people for waiting all day. I have only seen one person so far holding up a sign saying 'Ban The Lottery' but I think there could soon be more.

ok for Saturdays show, i heard someone say they went to Fridays show and immediately after that show ended they got in the GA line for Saturdays show ... that is ridiculous ... without the lottery you would have people camping out for days to get that spot ...

if you guys are complaining about scalpers hiring the homeless to wait in line and buy tickets, imagine who'd be waiting in line with you for a first come first serve ellipse

oceane said:

No one said saving spots was ok. I think we can all agree that's not acceptable. But the current system does not prevent it from happening still, evidently. People can still abuse the line with that system, and that's one the reasons I think it's crap: it does not solve the main problems it intented to.

The only way to solve the problem of people saving spots for others (for a long time, that is, for short moments it's ok of course) is either to
a) do a REAL lottery (with numbers and one is picked up and so on)
b) have some U2 staff run the GA line with a first come first serve system, instead of self-proclaimed fans

That being, said, my experience with what everyone refers to as the "line nazis" was not nearly as terrible as some have mentioned here. I actually thought their system was well run and very useful. BUT if they did indeed save their friends the best spot for hours, that's just wrong, obviously.

I think that we know which people can run a GA line and those that can't. I did San Diego opening night the first show and it ran smoothly. To be prepared you have to make sure the people come back which I did and I the check in's I do but the record on my sheets indicate when you got there and when you made the check in's. I give the decision to kick someone out of line to the 5 or 10 people in front or in back of them. Thats fair. Being Line Nazis you got alot of shit to deal with but in order to stop people from cutting the line you have to have 2 lists so no one moves up within the first 30 to 60 spots on the list. One copy so you can give it to someone when you take a break and the other copy is the remaining names on the list that you left with . Yes I have an idea which people abused the GA line on the Elevation tour.

Does any one know if the scanning selection (beeping, red screen etc) appears totally random? I am going with group of 6 friends and I am wondering if anyone has seen people get selected right after one another or if once someone is selected there won't be another selection for at least 5 or 6 people. I am just wondering what the chances may be for getting a few of us into the ellipse.

From http://atu2.blogspot.com/

The process appeared truly random (technically pseudo-random since most computers don't actually do real random numbers). I noticed that MOST winners were every 10th to 14th person at a given scanner/laptop. There were also clusters of winners happening closer together. For example, once two "winners" were only 4 people apart, other times, more than 14 apart.

Having been in the lines, and seeing the same exact people, plus all the saving spaces, the way it is now is perfect. I love the fact so many fans are having a chance to be up close like that.

Eliv8 said:
The lottery is bullshit. People traveled from all over the world to see that opening show and be in the coveted egg/ellipse/bomb shelter. This policy should have been announced when the tickets went on sale not on the morning of the show. To make it worse it pissed down with rain on everyone about 10 minutes after we were told. Bono was even Boo'd when he thanked people for waiting all day. I have only seen one person so far holding up a sign saying 'Ban The Lottery' but I think there could soon be more.

i realize that this is an open forum and everyone has the right to opinions and commentary, but when will the bitching and whining stop? this issue has been BEAT TO DEATH. at this point, there is nothing that anyone can do. if the policy changes, great. if not, well, the reality is that you're probably going to have to stand only about 20 feet from where you may have wanted to. why can't people simply be happy to have tickets to the one of the best shows on the planet?

At this time, I would like to repeat the words 'bomb shelter' as many times as I can in order to convince people to use that term.

bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter

bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter

bomb shelter bomb shelter
bomb shelter

bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter

bomb shelter

bomb shelter

bomb shelter bomb shelter bomb shelter
:cool:

Last edited:
innominata8 said:
i realize that this is an open forum and everyone has the right to opinions and commentary, but when will the bitching and whining stop? this issue has been BEAT TO DEATH. at this point, there is nothing that anyone can do. if the policy changes, great. if not, well, the reality is that you're probably going to have to stand only about 20 feet from where you may have wanted to. why can't people simply be happy to have tickets to the one of the best shows on the planet?

Are you a repub? Your first sentence said it all. This is an OPEN FORUM. Everyone has the right to opinions and commentary. That includes bitching & whining. Or is this suddenly banned from the "internets" and vanquished from the Constitution?

If this subject is of no interest to you, read and reply to a different thread. As someone who waited and got in the ellipse last tour. And who had #251 for last Friday night, along with my friend, yet missed out on the ellipse, it is pertinent. I think with #251 under ordinary circumstances, I would have been inside there, and the show would have taken on a different intensity.

I think it is wrong to sign someone in, if they are not expected to arrive for many, many hours. There should be standards and rules in regards to that, and if you put someone's name on the list, they must somehow be required to show within a certain time frame, in order for both their spots to be retained. Otherwise, they drop down on the list. But it sounds too simple apparently for most to comprehend.

As for waiting overnight. Part of me says that's a bit extreme, but the other side admits that someone willing to camp out and do their time so to speak, deserves to be front & center. It used to be done that way, and I'm sure many a Grateful Dead fan arrived early to guarantee themselves a spot in from of Jerry each and every show.

Back
Top Bottom