Interesting pic from Buffalo show... Did Bono REALLY know where he was in 1980?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
During one of the early parts of the Buffalo show I saw a crew member slap what appeared to be a big piece of paper (turned out to be a 'normal' size piece of paper) on the stage surrounded by a larger than normal border of fluorescent yellow tape. I figured it was song lyrics or something. As it turns out the paper said 'Club Name: Stage One' with some other writing on it that I could not make out. Bono later went on to tell his story of being in Buffalo the night Lennon was shot at a place called 'Stage One'... I was actually a bit disappointed that Bono needed to be reminded of the club name considering the significance of the night.... but anyway...

I don't think I have a career in forensics in front of me, but I was able to enhance a picture that someone sent to me showing what the piece of paper said:

stageone.gif

Last edited:
this brings another question. the two large black boxes that the kids sometimes sit on. are they teleprompters? i have heard they are but have never been able to confirm.

jilly mullen jr said:
this brings another question. the two large black boxes that the kids sometimes sit on. are they teleprompters? i have heard they are but have never been able to confirm.

:yes: :(

The last month of the tour I felt definitely lacked a lot of energy and spontaneity that made the first leg and start of the third leg so special. In Hartford the crowd was so great but I just felt like they weren't reacting to it. (Two nights before, in Boston, it was totally different, but still a lot less energy than October and May especially.)

I was looking at reviews from Portland, and they all seem to be saying that the show lacked that spark that makes it special, the spontaneity, connection with the audience--a solid show, but not a great show. Are they getting so tired? I guess I can understand that. :(

I thought Portland was amazing, but I do think the band are tired.

The teleprompters not only have song lyrics, but names of people Bono wants to thank at every show. He even reads the lyrics during Bad. You'd think after all these years he'd have them committed to memory! But I guess he's got lots on his plate :shrug:

To be fair, he has played in a ton of places since then. Even if something significant happened on that date, I still think it would be hard to remember 25 years later. :shrug: I know I can't remember what I wore to work just two days ago :shifty:

He just better remember that he danced with me 25 years from now :mad:

Where was I this morning? help plZ!!!111! :(

Poor Bono... first his hair, now his memory. -huggles B- I'm with ya man!

u2forlife said:
To be fair, he has played in a ton of places since then. Even if something significant happened on that date, I still think it would be hard to remember 25 years later. :shrug: I know I can't remember what I wore to work just two days ago :shifty:

He just better remember that he danced with me 25 years from now :mad:

Honey 25 years from now he'll probably be wondering where he left his teeth.:wink:

faithingrace said:

Honey 25 years from now he'll probably be wondering where he left his teeth.:wink:

:lmao:

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. :)

I can imagine that through all the gigs they've played (over 1000 now) it's hard to remember the club names, let alone what city the club was in. Plus he's busy trying to entertain 20,000 people, and his mind is probably going a mile a minute. SO CUT THE MAN SOME SLACK! haha I'm sure he just wants to make sure he gets it right for the story he tells.

Well it does suck but it happens to many dates the band can lost track of where they are, I've heard of many bands thanking a city and naming another one and not the one they are actually in, at the end of they day all the arenas start looking the same

I remember Bono back in Detroit for Elevation with the "Detroit!! OHIO!!" hehe..

It was funny...I can cut my hero some slack definately ;)

At least they went through the trouble of mentioning it, most bands just disregard past visits...wait...not too many bands have been around long enough for past visits//

You know....the man is getting old. I don't expect him to remember every lyric....he has even mentioned a few times that he "should be in a home for befuddled rock stars"....whenever he forgets his lyrics.

I play in a band....and I will admit to taping my lyrics to the floor. Unfortunately no one knows my tunes and thus when I stop singing....I have no audience participation.....

At first I was disappointed by the knowledge of the lyrics screen....but then again....I thought......with so many fans....so much money for the tour.......the band want the show to be good....

.....why the hell not.

the lyric thing doesn't bother me at all - rather have the lyrics than have to ask edge or the audience a la Fast Cars boston 12/04!
really, i don't see a teleprompter as cheating at all , what difference does it make if he can remember every word or not?

as for the lennon thing - i wouldn't be too fussed. he probably wanted to make certain he wouldn't forget 'cause saying the wrong thing (or saying nothing at all) is far worse than having a piece of paper to remind you

I think people forget how hard it is do play so many shows in so many different cities over the course of one tour let alone having to remember dates from 25 years back.

it may not have been a reminder for where he was either, it may have been a reminder to tell the story. In either case I'd prefer a piece of paper on stage to the "detroit ohio" incident of O nought 1

hey Headache, I'm in that picture--coincidence? I think not!

Chizip said:
i think any picture of the front row would have ruffian in it :tsk:

:madspit:

you're just jealous because I like Headache more than you.

and by the way, I think you are secretly IlovebeerandU2 or whatever the stupid screen name is...admit it!

Yeah, we had a great view of the teleprompters in Charlotte. I can understand needing some help every now and again, and I know other artists use help as well*, but I was shocked to see the thing going for every song with GREAT BIG LETTERS and I was also shocked to see how many times he actually used it. It's not so evident when you're in front of him. Some songs are sort of like karaoke... but he is a busy man. The teleprompters cut down on rehearsal time.

*Michael Stipe takes a music stand out on stage and reads the lyrics straight off of printed sheets. The lyrics are typed in about an 8 point font so I have no idea how he can actually read them. I think it's probably more of a crutch than an aid.

i think its a little disheartening that the speeches are on the teleprompter. i mean these are supposed to be emotional, heartfelt moments coming from the heart, not read word from word from a teleprompter. but oh well, not really a big deal either way.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

I don't love you anymore :sad:

and you can't spell.

"I’m sorry this is only coming out now. If I wasn’t so busy having a life and attending U2 concerts I would have posted these autrocities a long time ago"

:tsk: you aren't the man I thought you were.

ruffian said:

I don't love you anymore :sad:

and you can't spell.

"I’m sorry this is only coming out now. If I wasn’t so busy having a life and attending U2 concerts I would have posted these autrocities a long time ago"

:tsk: you aren't the man I thought you were.

don't think i didn't know you were checking out my ass here

group.JPG

and when did i post that? :scratch:

You really can't blame the guy for having some "help". They do sooooooo many shows on each tour and for him to remember every name of every important person that might be in the audience that night is a little too much to ask. The guy has too many other thing running through his head, I am sure. And I think we all know by now that Bono often...hmmmm... changes lyrics... substitures words in songs, so the teleprompters are there to keep him on track... Especially for songs they haven't performed in 15-20 years

Wow - the is actually the first time I have seen a pic of the teleprompter.

Those fuckers built it into an onstage sound wedge.

How conspicuous.

:down:

Back
Top Bottom