IMO... it's NOT "ElevationTour" part2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Bono not using the catwalk, maybe he feared a repeat of the Elevation Tour opener where he fell off the catwalk....:wink:

Out of interest, for the people who are critical of the stage set-up

What exactly did you expect? and want? bearing in mind it's an arena and demand is high, therefore the emphasis can either be on one big huge set-up and less fans or a bit more restricted and more lucky people can get in?

Fluffy, i just wanted a different production from Elevation Tour that's all.
And dont give me those bullshits about more people getting in since they will "tour there with 2 legs".

I for one cannot wait for U2 to get to the UK and I finally get to see them :)
The photos from last night look great - Bono looks great - set list is great - not every song I want to hear but they are never gonna please everyone!

Lisa

Popmart & Zootv had the same concept, be ironic as hell, bigger is better, similar physical stage layout.. major difference was that the seperated screens were turned into one GIANT screen

bcrt2000 said:
Popmart & Zootv had the same concept, be ironic as hell, bigger is better, similar physical stage layout.. major difference was that the seperated screens were turned into one GIANT screen
Too bad you really think this... Zoo-TV was about being Ironic, Popmart really not... Both were bigger is better, but is that a concept? And the screens... Zoo-TV used them for their true concept : Media(manipulation) by making the stage look like a TV station (Zoo Station?)... Popmart's concept was consumption/commerce... 2 different things with only a few similarities...

bcrt2000 said:

Similar physical stage layout?!?!?!
Sorry to say this but are you blind or what? Just because it has a B-stage it is same physical stage layout???

Yes it was as big as Zoo TV. It had a concept too... but that's all! the whole stage was different!!

The separated screens were turned into one giant screen??
Is that a joke?

Because this is the same to say the appearance of your car is exactly the same as mine because it has 4 wheels...

Squire said:

Similar physical stage layout?!?!?!
Sorry to say this but are you blind or what? Just because it has a B-stage it is same physical stage layout???

Yes it was as big as Zoo TV. It had a concept too... but that's all! the whole stage was different!!

The separated screens were turned into one giant screen??
Is that a joke?

Because this is the same to say the appearance of your car is exactly the same as mine because it has 4 wheels...

lets see, both had big screens as the main part of the stage, the difference was that in pop it was one huge screen

they both had b-stages

i don't see what else you'd want the same.. if you really think a lemon & an arch make a whole world of difference you're obviously not able to abstract yourself from the visual design to actually see how different the "conceptual" design was. really, popmart was just an attempt at being a more indulgent version of zoo tv.

and too say that they weren't trying to be ironic with those goofy muscle shirts, the lemon, the arch, is missing the boat.

also to me, the main part ofthe zootv & popmart sets were the big screens, where as the elevation/vertigo sets the big part is the lighting & the cat walk

i could argue NO NO vertigo isn't the same, its NOT a heart, it has curtains of lights, it has MORE lights, bono wore red glasses instead of blue ones, etc.. but at the end of the day its just an extension of the concept

I just think people are bitter because they thought it would be more similar to zoo tv than to elevation (Even though its unrealistic to expect that and seat fans in the back)

bcrt2000 said:

lets see, both had big screens as the main part of the stage, the difference was that in pop it was one huge screen

they both had b-stages

i don't see what else you'd want the same.. if you really think a lemon & an arch make a whole world of difference you're obviously not able to abstract yourself from the visual design to actually see how different the "conceptual" design was. really, popmart was just an attempt at being a more indulgent version of zoo tv.

and too say that they weren't trying to be ironic with those goofy muscle shirts, the lemon, the arch, is missing the boat.
I'll say this again : Too bad you really think this... Zoo-TV was about being Ironic, Popmart really not... Both were bigger is better, but is that a concept? And the screens... Zoo-TV used them for their true concept : Media(manipulation) by making the stage look like a TV station (Zoo Station?)... Popmart's concept was consumption/commerce... 2 different things with only a few similarities...

And that is just the difference in concept! The arch, screen and lemon were large icon's which represent of course consumption, but are also lit in a completely different way then lighting was used on Zoo-TV...

Just saying; if you really thing Zoo-TV and Popmart are much the same because of the centre stage, b-stage and screen thing... Then it also comes very close to the outdoor Joshua Tree stage... Except for the stage... Come on! Open your eyes!

wow, people are complaining already about the stage design. what a surprise!:rolleyes:

what i don't get are the ones who see 12 shows and whine about every tiny detail, yet still go to 12 shows.

if u2 did have a huge production, less people would get to see them, and everyone would whine and demand that they play 365 shows with no rest in between....then complain about bono's voice being shot to hell..

Well, I for one am very excited! I am pleased with everything I see (pics) and the song list. As far as this ninja get up...I'm thinking is bono taking on another alter ego? I'd love that! I'd give anything to go back in time to see Zootv with MacPhisto and The Fly!

TCUFrog, USA has two legs... are you complaining about the attendance if the production was bigger?

From the pictures I see I think it looks significantly different from Elevation... The only part that is the same is that there is also a ramp, which is totally cool anyway and just a about the best stage design I've ever seen for a rock show because it gets the band closer to the audience.

Visually (again, according to pictures, I wasn't there) it's completely different and looks really cool to me, very different style than Elevation.

relax everyone... does the stage ever make or break a show? to me it's all about the perfromance.

Tubesox said:
relax everyone... does the stage ever make or break a show? to me it's all about the perfromance.
In that case... Let U2 do some real stripped down shows and knock of 20$ per ticket :huh:

I mean, nobody is saying that the production/stage is the key element in a succesful show! The music is what it is all about... But we dó pay a lot of money, and U2 claim to have the Greatest Show On Earth... Sum that up, and the production/stage moves up the list in important elements for a U2 show...

WTF!! I didn't see the show in SD last night, but I've been looking at the pictures and it looks like those are the same guys from the Elevation tour!! Damn... couldn't they change things up a little and get some different guys this time around?

:lmao:

Like Bono said during the Popmart Tour. The lights and visuals are just the wrapping paper while the songs are whats inside and what counts.

zoopop said:
Like Bono said during the Popmart Tour. The lights and visuals are just the wrapping paper while the songs are whats inside and what counts.
But Bono also said someting interesting at the K-Mart press conference for Popmart :

"The bottom line is that playing a football stadium doesn't have to be like standing at the back of a muddy field in the Seventies. It can be an extraordinary event and it's very exciting for us to be allowed to do what we want to."

How can people who haven't seen the show complain?
Why even argue with them? They're dumb enough to judge the show w/o seeing it. Do you really want the opinion of someone who thinks like that?

msbarb said:
WTF!! I didn't see the show in SD last night, but I've been looking at the pictures and it looks like those are the same guys from the Elevation tour!! Damn... couldn't they change things up a little and get some different guys this time around?

:lmao:

Take the dust from your eyes please.
Oh, and you can bring an argument next time ok? :laugh:

MrBrau1 said:
How can people who haven't seen the show complain? Why even argue with them? They're dumb enough to judge the show w/o seeing it. Do you really want the opinion of someone who thinks like that?
So you're telling me that with the 179+ pictures of the San Diego show online richt now, one can't get a global idea of what the production looks like? What a joke!

With the early pictures from the Popmart stage in Las Vegas back in '97 people weren't allowed to discuss the stage, just because they had not seen the full show jet? Uhuh!

MrBrau1 said:
How can people who haven't seen the show complain?
Why even argue with them? They're dumb enough to judge the show w/o seeing it. Do you really want the opinion of someone who thinks like that?

Be carefull with the offenses please.
Go read what has been said here. I don't like to repeat myself. it's obvious you don't have a clue what we are talking about.

MrBrau1 said:
I haven't heard the new Springsteen record. But I have seen the cover and it looks like it will sound like shit. Maroons.
Well sorry man, but your last post above made some sense... But this one :banghead:

MrBrau1 said:
I haven't heard the new Springsteen record. But I have seen the cover and it looks like it will sound like shit.

Maroons.

how old are you?
what a childish statement... coming from a guy that is even a premium member...

Last edited:
Neilz said:

I don't think there are any fan's here that wan't to knock U2 :-S

For me, I just think it compares to much with Elevation... I never éver had any critics on any of U2's tours... As I'm am not only a fan of U2, but their stage productions aswell...

I always used to say to friends.. "If you wan't to see a mindbogling show, see U2 once"... This time around all I can tell them is "If you wan't to see the best band in the world, go see U2"...

Since you started posting, you've said nothing but negative things. Again, have you SEEN the show? If not, they why all this negativity?

As I wrote in another post, U2's 80's tours were all very similar. Back then, U2 didn't really care about TV's or screens or props or ramps or b-stages. They had a backdrop, some lighting and that was it. Yet, U2 were known for their incredible live performances.

So now that this tour has borrowed a few things from the last tour, suddenly U2 isn't "mindboggling" any more? Suddenly U2 aren't this outstanding live band? For a decade, U2's stage design was the bare minimum and yet they were lauded. Now that U2 have some similar traits to their last tour, they are no longer a great "mindboggling" band?

Your statements come across as incredibly narrow-minded, somewhat illogical and highly opinionated, which is a very dangerous combination. I recommend waiting until you actually experience the tour before dismissing it.

doctorwho said:

Since you started posting, you've said nothing but negative things. Again, have you SEEN the show? If not, they why all this negativity?

As I wrote in another post, U2's 80's tours were all very similar. Back then, U2 didn't really care about TV's or screens or props or ramps or b-stages. They had a backdrop, some lighting and that was it. Yet, U2 were known for their incredible live performances.

So now that this tour has borrowed a few things from the last tour, suddenly U2 isn't "mindboggling" any more? Suddenly U2 aren't this outstanding live band? For a decade, U2's stage design was the bare minimum and yet they were lauded. Now that U2 have some similar traits to their last tour, they are no longer a great "mindboggling" band?

Your statements come across as incredibly narrow-minded, somewhat illogical and highly opinionated, which is a very dangerous combination. I recommend waiting until you actually experience the tour before dismissing it.
You know what; I really don't care what you think of me! I'm getting a little tired of repeating myself and explaining things time after time! Some get what I'm saying.. You don't seem to get it! But hell, I'll type the story once more:

I am not dismissing the tour. The tour will be great. The band will be great. The music will be great. The setlists will be awesome. It will be a big succes.

All I am stating is that the stage looks too damn much like the Elevation stage. Even some people who were in the venue lastnight agree with me on that. The comparison is very easy to make when you look at the pictures from last night. Hell I've seen 179 already!

So what's the big deal! I love U2, but I also love the big shows they used to do. I'm a Willie Williams (met him 4 times) and a Mark Fisher fan for a long time. I have many books on stage and production design where everyone in the U2 'live team' keep addressing that they constantly want to push the limits and be innovative... But now they pull out a copy of Elevation. I just have a bad feeling about the production, and I seem to be not the only one! Sew me!

Again... Everything will be great, except for now the stage looks too much like Elevation...

Now tell me... What of the above you don't understand?

doctorwho said:

:banghead:

I suggest you to read the posts that have been made here. Because im quite sure you didn't.

Back
Top Bottom