If this was any other band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
I kept silent during the sales fiasco that happened recently, mostly because I was able to get tickets to the shows I wanted. For some reason I felt that the band would do something to right the wrongs of what happened. And now that I hear of fans getting tickets theyd' want from ticketmaster, and u2 recalling all of the ETS and Amex tickets, I can't help but feel a little vindicated. Sure it takes some emailing and calling of ticketmaster but it seems as if there is some effort to make things right.

I did vent some frustration privately to a few people over the phone and IM. But publicly I pretty much kept my mouth shut.

1.) If this was any other band would there be an expectation for the band to make things right? is it because of their stature, and generosity, or their world view, or reputation as humanitarians that we expect them to treat their fans a certain way?

I was thinkign myself...if this was any other band, I doubt I'd ever expect them to try and fix this.

2.) The fact that we as fans did complain and are now sort of getting what we wanted? does that mean we are spoiled by u2?

3.) does ticket demand for these shows rival what it was like to buy tickets for the zoo tv tour?

4.) I've been luckier than any fan should be, is it just me being too easy on u2..and not being more vocal about how these presales/sales went down?

5.) Anyone going to san jose 2 or MSG?

Arun V said:
And now that I hear of fans getting tickets theyd' want from ticketmaster, and u2 recalling all of the ETS and Amex tickets, I can't help but feel a little vindicated. Sure it takes some emailing and calling of ticketmaster but it seems as if there is some effort to make things right.

As of now, this is a very very small amount of fans. I'm glad for those they are doing this for, but there are by far many more that haven't or aren't getting this same attention.

Can't really compare the ZooTv era as we didn't buy online with codes and 'timed-out' pages' and the like. If I remember rightly, I got a Propaganda order form which i used to get my tickets and also booked a coach trip to Germany through Propaganda as well. Friends of mine went to ticket outlets and bought them as normal.
Were there any ticketmaster phone sales this time around? That's how I got my elevation tickets.

Arun V said:
I kept silent during the sales fiasco that happened recently, mostly because I was able to get tickets to the shows I wanted. For some reason I felt that the band would do something to right the wrongs of what happened. And now that I hear of fans getting tickets theyd' want from ticketmaster, and u2 recalling all of the ETS and Amex tickets, I can't help but feel a little vindicated. Sure it takes some emailing and calling of ticketmaster but it seems as if there is some effort to make things right.

I'm glad people feel vindicated about u2 recalling tickets from AMEX and ETS, but ETS was my fall back plan. I reserved GA tickets through ETS after the pre-sale, and they were taken away from me. Now I have nothing. Funny how even though ETS and AMEX gave their tickets back, they still weren't available 30 seconds after the general internet on-sale began.

If this was any other band......i'd have not spent almost $1,000 on tickets! .....and waited for the aussie tour....and if it was any other band, it might not have been 7 years since they last made there way down here. :)

I think the answer to all your questions is probably yes. (Except for #5.)

Those of us who don't have tickets are being bitter/whiny/jealous, and those of us who do are being snobby/condescending/etc. (I could probably include myself in both categories, at least in part.) It's just human nature.

A VERY ASTUTE analysis, Arun, and one that I thank you for. :wink:

You are completely correct - U2 "fans" have become spoiled by the generosity of the band toward us over the years. We now have come to believe that these four guys "owe" us something when they do not.

And simply because of U2's identity as a Rock group associated with humanitarian concerns, the scrutiny of them and the POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO THEIR LEGACY is immense with all the overblown reaction of people to the ticket sales fiasco. :sad:

I got CRAP seats for the only show that I can afford to attend, but I am not complaining. I understand that LIFE IS NOT FAIR and that LIFE WILL GO ON without GA or lower 100 tix!

I have followed U2 since 1981 and have seen my share of concerts over the years. I'm just glad that I can see them once again and will simply concentrate on preparing myself for "that other place" of Love and Positivity for U2.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:up:

Arun V said:
5.) Anyone going to san jose 2 or MSG?

Yea I think you are right - we expect more from U2 than other bands. Some of us are still stuck in the 80s when there was little demand for tickets and we could see the band in a nightclub.

I'll be at SJ1 in section 102 and SJ2 in section 118. I'm bitter that I didn't get GA's and I'm bitter that I had to spend $175.80 on my SJ1 seat. But I'm thankfult I CAN spend that much on a concert and I'm thankful I'll be in the building for both shows!

Maybe in the Fall, everything will "ironed out" so it works for everybody. Altho again this morning for Seattle, there it was again, the old ticketmonster "internal error" crap for an hr.

I have to admit that I think a lot of the negativity is coming from people who haven't necessarily gone through a tough onsale before. Not that it is their fault, but I think people in general are putting far too much emphasis on presales and onsales. For those of us who enjoy seeing multiple shows on the tours, we really have never counted on these. We understand that it is luck, and it ebbs and flows. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. But regardless, we all seem to find a way into the venue, and unbelievable more often than not exactly where we would like to be. I also think there is an element of fans that are successful at getting tickets and therfore you don't hear from them. Regardless of what the scalpers have (I think it is less than most people think...most still don't have tickets in hand) U2 has virtually sold out its first two legs and most within hours. There are hundreds of thousands of fans out there that got tickets.

Final point? I think that unfortunately u2.com oversold its promises and raised expectations to a point where the only possible result was widespread disappointment.

Communication, or lack there of, has been really the only true fault that I can place with U2.

There hasn't even been an official tour announcement with the band.

Re: Re: If this was any other band?

U2RNO1 said:

I'm glad people feel vindicated about u2 recalling tickets from AMEX and ETS, but ETS was my fall back plan. I reserved GA tickets through ETS after the pre-sale, and they were taken away from me. Now I have nothing. Funny how even though ETS and AMEX gave their tickets back, they still weren't available 30 seconds after the general internet on-sale began.

I was banking on AMEX. They had no idea about any of this when I called the day before, until I told them about the email I received! Luckily, my friend got us seats :|

U2RNO1 said:

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I want you know I don't feel vindicated cos you in particular got screwed, but I feel like the band is doing SOMETHING to try and make sure die hard fans get something they want.

again, I'm sorry if you feel I was feeling vindicated at your expense

Arun V said:
I kept silent during the sales fiasco that happened recently, mostly because I was able to get tickets to the shows I wanted.

Um, bingo. You got tickets. Of course you're content with the system. It worked for you.
I think you might have a slightly different perspective if you'd been through presales for Boston, Chicago, Seattle and Vancouver without getting a GA ticket. Not one.
You might feel different if you'd talked three of your U2 loving friends into paying $40 to sign up for U2.com only to have them strike out on GA's as well--to multiple gigs.
Basically, they're telling me that I've been had and that U2 screwed me and I'm too stupid to realize it.
That starts to wear on a guy after he's heard it a few hundred times.

And the reclaiming of GA seats from ETS and AMEX. Big Fu***** deal. Give me a call when I get a realistic shot at those tickets.
I won't be holding my breath. :mad:

Was reading that Christina Aguilera charged $30 for her fanclub, that had presale tickets, then she cancelled her tour, with no refund.

U2.com is giving refunds for those who didn't get tickets. It's something.

Arun V said:

1.) If this was any other band would there be an expectation for the band to make things right? is it because of their stature, and generosity, or their world view, or reputation as humanitarians that we expect them to treat their fans a certain way?

I was thinkign myself...if this was any other band, I doubt I'd ever expect them to try and fix this.

2.) The fact that we as fans did complain and are now sort of getting what we wanted? does that mean we are spoiled by u2?

1) Just any other band...No. But any other band I would actually care to see...Yes, I would expect a band I would care for enough to go to see to care enough for their fans to try to correct this problem as much as possible.

2) You don't complain, how are they supposed to know there is a big problem? Incessant whining in not productive, but quick and loud complaints are needed to get the ball rolling. Nevertheless, not everyone is going to get what he/she wants, but not everyone would be if the presale and general sale had worked perfectly either.

Re: Re: Re: If this was any other band?

Arun V said:

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I want you know I don't feel vindicated cos you in particular got screwed, but I feel like the band is doing SOMETHING to try and make sure die hard fans get something they want.

again, I'm sorry if you feel I was feeling vindicated at your expense

I know you don't mean me personally Arun. Sorry if my frustration made it seem that way.

Sure, the band is at least trying to do something. But unless they make sure that every fan club member who tried to get pre-sale tickets actually gets to see a show ON THIS LEG OF THE TOUR, I don't think it's enough. Is that asking too much? Probably, but I'm a little bitter at this time.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

Um, bingo. You got tickets. Of course you're content with the system. It worked for you.
I think you might have a slightly different perspective if you'd been through presales for Boston, Chicago, Seattle and Vancouver without getting a GA ticket. Not one.
You might feel different if you'd talked three of your U2 loving friends into paying $40 to sign up for U2.com only to have them strike out on GA's as well--to multiple gigs.
Basically, they're telling me that I've been had and that U2 screwed me and I'm too stupid to realize it.
That starts to wear on a guy after he's heard it a few hundred times.

And the reclaiming of GA seats from ETS and AMEX. Big Fu***** deal. Give me a call when I get a realistic shot at those tickets.
I won't be holding my breath. :mad:

Welll I'm not saying this isn't the case. I do openly say in terms of u2 fandom I'm luckier than any fan should be. And I dont' think that the system worked very well this time (presales at least)

I understand your frustration a bit...as I was shut out of preslaes and was very worried I'd get shut out of general sales those few days between were quite worrisome and I wouldn't want to go through getting shut out.

I'm happy that ppl are being so honest in this thread, I'm really interested on peoples point of view and posted this thread trying to hear the other side of the argument

expecting someone to do the right thing isn't spoiled. it's really more of a statement about how screwed up the industry as a whole is that some take the attitude that we're at fault by expecting a fan club offer to live up to its advertising.

fanfire screwed a lot of fans and people were right to be intense. demand accounts for the problems with general sale, but the presale mess was purely either mismanagement or decpetive advertising by fanfire. even the service rep i spoke to there was dumfounded at the fact that they didn't provide even remotely enough tix for the demand.

but the band has made efforts to crack down on scalpers, allot more tix to fanc lub members (ets, etc), and straighten out the mess. hopefully, they'll either have things straightened out by fall or end their relationship with fanfire when the contract expires.

i got my tix after all my moaning, so i really can't complain too much. at least they're making the effort. it would have been easy for them to go forward with the tour as it was. they would have made all the money and the fanc lub complaints really would have been drowned out in the end. look at the stones-as much as people complained when they started charging $300 plus a ticket, they stuck with it and make shitloads by biliing fans every four years or so. we can be thankful u2 aren't like that

Back
Top Bottom