I think Vertigo will open in Europe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palace_Hero

Refugee, Note: Troll-like
The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference.
In the summer in Europe, with outdoor shows, I don't think it is really possible COBL or LAPOE can open up, unless changes are made to the lighting and presentation.

If there is sunlight into the first few songs of the performance, how can Willie give the 'blinding lights' effect, or reveal the band by spotlight in Love and Peace?

For me it has to be Vertigo. I know there are alot of effects in the song on this leg, but they are just that, effects. The song doesn't have an intro to rely on, and can get away without the darkness. Plus, what better what to gee up a huge crowd?

Any other opinions?

I dont think the lighting will have anything to do with it. Actually the lighting on Vertigo is more impressive than it is on City. Vertigo could open, but my "guess" is that the setlist patterns will be very similiar if not identical to the first leg.

Forget what song will open. I believe the stage setup will be significantly different from the indoor shows. It has to be, where would they hang the curtain of lights? And the stage would be dramatically smaller, very tiny in fact, in a stadium atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if the scale of the show increased significantly to accomadte and audience up to 5 times larger. In fact, I think it has to! Forget what song opens, bring back the ZooTv days and completely blow the fans away with excess and nonsense!!!

There's good point here,

Zoo TV and Popmart were such spectacles that it didn't matter if they opened in daylight.

Would the elevation tour have worked well in a stadium? I'm not so sure..

Although they did play outside at slane, the dvd shows it was dusk by the time they came on stage.

the edges plec said:
I think they might use a giant screen maybe like the popmart tour

It's a possibility. but what are the arrangements for seating though.

Do we know if they're going to block one end of the stadium off.

(They did at some of the european arenas, unlike some in america where the audience was all the way round)

Ellay said:

It's a possibility. but what are the arrangements for seating though.

Do we know if they're going to block one end of the stadium off.

(They did at some of the european arenas, unlike some in america where the audience was all the way round)

no seats BEHIND the stage have been sold...

so there will either be an LED screen like popmart or the curtain thingys (from the 1st leg), but kind of "glued on" to the stage (cuz open air, with a blowwind they'd just fly away) :)

It's an exciting prospect.. I was thinking the other day this is the first time since ZooTV that when the tour arrives in Europe, we don't know what it coming in terms of production and will (hopefully) get some major surprises.

If it matches the thrill of seeing the intro to the Zooropa concert for the first time I'll be a very happy punter.

I'm very excited about seeing a stadium show again. And good point with Europe having a new production hopefully with surprises rather than a regurgitation of leg 1. It would be good to see Vertigo open here as the song performed much better here than in the States.

I can also see "Crumbs..." opening the show in Europe....
...just imagine... with longer intro from Edge... then Larry's drums and :rockon: 60000 fans jumping to the song while it's still day light... without any special light or stage fx... just a great rock song and 60000 people...

I think that song may be huuuge on stadiums...:drool:

1. Crumbs...
2. Elevation
3,4,5, Boy and/or October songs...
5 songs that need no special FX, no lights... just the Boy logo behind the band...
...and now it should be dark enough for the true spectacle to begin with trabants, lemons and atomic bombs falling from the sky...:wink:

you think crumbs would be a good opener? i dont know, its not very uptempo, and while "city of blinding lights" is doing a great job (while not being a "rock song" to open the show like elevation or vertigo), its working very well...

crumbs would be a, id say, depressive opener :)

but apart from that, it should definetly be played in the european leg!

well here is a section of lighting they were thinking of using

lights.jpg

i could see just maybe a huge wall of these kind of lights behind them to make a giant screen, kind of like popmart

and here is a sketch of what the stage may look like

103.jpg

it looks like there is no ellipse, but more like a main stage with 2 ramps and small bstages jetting out

these were just a couple pictures from willies diary, so it may not be what they ultimately decided to go with, but at least it gives a little clue

should be interesting to see

Vertigo will open a show, i'm sure they will do some big rotations in Dublin, Amsterdam and various other places (Hopes for Spanish Eyes in Spain!)

But I think COBL and LAPOE will remain the openers for most of the tour.
Would love to see them burst out with Out Of Control or somthing at Dublin III.
Time will tell :)

Don't forget though that one of Willie's entries (oo-er) states that they redesigned the front of the stage and all were in agreement, so those sketches could now be redundant.
The amount of thought and effort being put into the European leg should give us an amazing stadium tour to maybe rival PopMart and ZooTV.

Palace_Hero said:
Thats not my point. The lack of complete darkness takes away the theatrics of the arena openers.

Then I dont get your point because you were indicating the reason COBL or LAPOE may not open is because the lighting would not work in daylight? So whats the difference? I dont think the two openers need any special lighting anymore than Vertigo does. In fact, the only part if City that is kind of cool IMO is the confetti coming down. That can still be done if its light out.

Vertigo may open a show or two (as it has already opened one). But I would expect the openers will be the same as the arena leg. The band seems to think the show flows best with one or the other opening, in particular City.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Then I dont get your point because you were indicating the reason COBL or LAPOE may not open is because the lighting would not work in daylight? So whats the difference? I dont think the two openers need any special lighting anymore than Vertigo does. In fact, the only part if City that is kind of cool IMO is the confetti coming down. That can still be done if its light out.

Vertigo may open a show or two (as it has already opened one). But I would expect the openers will be the same as the arena leg. The band seems to think the show flows best with one or the other opening, in particular City.

What I am saying is whilst all three of Vertigo, LAPOE and City use a large amount of lighting and effects, I think Vertigo is the only one of the three that can go without, and not lose any of the atmosphere.

You can't have 'blinding lights' in daylight, and you can't have the dramatic opening of the band members being revealed by spotlight if it is so bright you can already see them anyway!

I also think it would be a great stadium opener.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

i think it will be totally different than the arena shows

BBBad11 said:
Forget what song will open. I believe the stage setup will be significantly different from the indoor shows. It has to be, where would they hang the curtain of lights? And the stage would be dramatically smaller, very tiny in fact, in a stadium atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if the scale of the show increased significantly to accomadte and audience up to 5 times larger. In fact, I think it has to! Forget what song opens, bring back the ZooTv days and completely blow the fans away with excess and nonsense!!!

I agree! Hopefully a few new songs out of the bag too! I'm so excited! :hyper:

sorry

KUEFC09U2 said:
i think it will be totally different than the arena shows

Do you have any info to support this? Because going by U2's past tours it certainly would not be the case. I think there will be a few songs that may change and the order of a few may change. But most likely the basic setlist structures they have been using will remain.

Palace Hero,
Regarding City cant be played in daylight??? Why not? There are no super special lighting effects being used now for it. Vertigo has the most special effects right now IMO. If anything Vertigo may get moved to the encore versus opening. I feel pretty confident that LAPOE and/or City will open at least some of the shows in Europe. Vertigo is certainly a possibility also, but I seriously doubt it would open every single show. I guess we will just have to wait and see as I dont think the band has even decided at this time. But they are creatures of habit.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Do you have any info to support this? Because going by U2's past tours it certainly would not be the case. I think there will be a few songs that may change and the order of a few may change. But most likely the basic setlist structures they have been using will remain.

Palace Hero,
Regarding City cant be played in daylight??? Why not? There are no super special lighting effects being used now for it. Vertigo has the most special effects right now IMO. If anything Vertigo may get moved to the encore versus opening. I feel pretty confident that LAPOE and/or City will open at least some of the shows in Europe. Vertigo is certainly a possibility also, but I seriously doubt it would open every single show. I guess we will just have to wait and see as I dont think the band has even decided at this time. But they are creatures of habit.
yes i do, both paul mc and wille williams have stated that it will be a totally different production

KUEFC09U2 said:
yes i do, both paul mc and wille williams have stated that it will be a totally different production

:yes: ... and they just HAVE TO make it diferent way... why??

That's why:
1st leg U.S.: 539,800 people
2nd leg Europe: 1,957,200 people
(from U2Neophobia)

Up here in Norway, the sun sets at about 2300 when U2 visits Oslo in late July. The show is scheduled to start 2100, and will the entire show will therefore be in bright daylight.

But I guess they can use smoke to enhance the lighting...

I'll guess we'll all have to see

City of Blinding Lights will be the opener. It will be the current single when they come to Europe.

The "production" is not the same thing as the setlist at all. Willie stated the stage design would be different, obviously it has to be because its in stadiums. To equate those statements to mean drastic setlist changes is a HUGE stretch.

TheFly40, I dont get your criteria for City??? U2 have opened over half the shows with City on the first leg and those certainly didnt all happen in NYC.

Last edited:
Note that most stadiums they play in have an optional roof!

So lightning effects are not impossible.
But I agree, Vertigo should be the opener.

All this talk of this "big production" makes me very anxious!
Do you recon there'll be no light curtains at all?

I don't think (nor do I hope) that they'll change the set that much.
Of course I go around and beg them to stop playing Zoo Station so I can get my precious Until The End Of The World, which is odd since before the set was revealed, it was one of those songs that I wanted to see the most.
Why can't they play both :mad:
Anyway. Don't remobe The Electric Co. anyway!
Best "new" set choice they've made in years.

Spanish Eyes would be great in Spain, but I think the crowd will have a sorta special relationship to the Vertigo opening also. God I wish I was there.

But then again I'll be at Dublin 1.

Back
Top Bottom