i got ripped off at NYC MSG on 5/21 by a scalper selling fake tickets..READ!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
i made a mistake an jumped the gun an bought what i thought was a GA "FLOOR" ticket.. the guy who was african american, wearing all black... told me he had GA... i tried to get him to go inside to verify the ticket but he fooled me with buncha crap like "i'm a known scalper an can't go there, i sell tickets all the time to NBA, NFL, concerts.i'll give u my address/phone numbers(which he did not)".. then i give him money an he gives me the ticket an it says section 87 an no GA on it, i ask "wait, this isnt GA..." then he shows me a map an says they are on the floor. BULLSHIT! he don't know shit about ga. He then runs off an dissappears... i then get it checked an its a fake... its glossy, no 'vertigo tour' mentioned on it at all, an the part thats supposed to tear off, didnt tear off...

couple hours later... i see the same guy in different clothes(all white) on a different side of MSG.. close to some cops.. i rat on him to the cops, cop says i could get arrested if i show him the fake cuz its illegal to buy tix off scalpers there which i had no idea, damn, i'm like but he took my money for a fake... i felt i was taken advantage of my disability.. they search him an find nothing because apparently he handed the fakes to his friend an walked off, cuz the scalper would look bad if he ran offf. BUT I BET THAT FREAKED HIM OUT!! the cops kicked him off the property, wrote his info down, tho. glad i got my revenge a little bit.

I am out $140, i thought i handed him $180(his asking price) but i didnt, lol..

DO NOT BUY TICKETS FROM ANYONE ON THE STREETS UNLESS U KNOW THEM OR TALKED WITH THEM BEFOREHAND.. i learned the hard way

I'll scan the ticket when i get back from europe..

i just wanted to let fans know so they dont fall into this trap too.

jesseu2 said:
i made a mistake an jumped the gun an bought what i thought was a GA "FLOOR" ticket.. the guy who was african american, wearing all black... told me he had GA..

Ya opened a can of worms with the african american comment.

Re: Re: i got ripped off at NYC MSG on 5/21 by a scalper selling fake tickets..READ!!

DanB said:

I wasnt trying to, just trying to describe him... nothing further, no offense intended..

wow thats a sad story. you should have waited in line at MSG, they were handing out tons of tickets. Although these tickets werent GA.

180 asking price for a GA is kinda little actually. I would have thought right away something was wrong. If it were real and the scallper was smart he would probably charge 300 or so.
Question -- did u buy the ticket close to the show time?

DPrince, at like 10 or 11 AM..i was waiting in line but i wanted a "better" sure ticket (GA) than my backup plan tic but i was in the building anyways. this guy was standing next to the plants outside the uncovered area just at end of the line..

Last edited:
wow, how is reselling tickets illegal. when i was in phoenix i wanted to buy some tix and I asked a cop bc i didnt know and told i was asking bc I didnt want to break the law and he said its just buyer beware....does anyone know if this law varies by state or what....sorry to hear about your bad luck by the way.

TheBrush said:
wow, how is reselling tickets illegal. when i was in phoenix i wanted to buy some tix and I asked a cop bc i didnt know and told i was asking bc I didnt want to break the law and he said its just buyer beware....does anyone know if this law varies by state or what....sorry to hear about your bad luck by the way.

It absolutely varies by state. Some states ya can, some ya can't. In some you can, depending how far away you're standing from the box office. In some ya can if you don't make a profit. In some you can make a certain amount of profit......

TheBrush said:

you have to be 100 yards away from the venue to scalp tickets in new york state, and can only charge face value (plus fees) plus the greater of 20% of the ticket price.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

you have to be 100 yards away from the venue to scalp tickets in new york state, and can only charge face value (plus fees) plus the greater of 20% of the ticket price.

Friday April 4th 6:59 AM EST
No More Scalping Tickets In New Jersey

By Newsradio 88 Staff

New Jersey's anti-scalping law is back on the books.

For the past year and a half, you could call a ticket broker and get tickets to almost any sold-out event in New Jersey--but you paid dearly.

Now the experiment, which allowed brokers to tack on 20-percent to ticket price, is over. Apparently, it wasn't enough to lure scaplers to the state.

That means when an event in New Jersey is sold out--it's sold out.

DanB said:

Friday April 4th 6:59 AM EST
No More Scalping Tickets In New Jersey

By Newsradio 88 Staff

New Jersey's anti-scalping law is back on the books.

For the past year and a half, you could call a ticket broker and get tickets to almost any sold-out event in New Jersey--but you paid dearly.

Now the experiment, which allowed brokers to tack on 20-percent to ticket price, is over. Apparently, it wasn't enough to lure scaplers to the state.

That means when an event in New Jersey is sold out--it's sold out.

uh huh... and new jersey changing their laws effects new york how exactly?

Re: Re: i got ripped off at NYC MSG on 5/21 by a scalper selling fake tickets..READ!!

DanB said:

He was simply describing the person.....absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Sorry DanB, but Headache has a point. You quoted his comment about NY then made a statement about NJ. Headache wasn't assuming anything - he was trying to understand why you quoted his NY statement only to talk about another state. But enough of that.

In MA, I think it's just $2 above face value. On eBay, scalpers say things like, "if you live in MA, don't bid". This is just to protect them.

Re: Re: Re: i got ripped off at NYC MSG on 5/21 by a scalper selling fake tickets..READ!!

Raid said:

He was simply describing the person.....absolutely nothing wrong with that.

yeah really; what if he said he was oriental looking? would that be a can of worms?

Re: Re: Re: Re: i got ripped off at NYC MSG on 5/21 by a scalper selling fake tickets

JOFO said:

yeah really; what if he said he was oriental looking? would that be a can of worms?

Yes a can of oriental worms.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but our over politically correct society jumps at anything.

i swear, some of you guys are super high tempered over here in the tour forums. sometimes it seems like you look for shit to pick on for no reason at all. giving a description of someone who is obviously a criminal is not a can of worms. it's a heads-up.

anyway, that sucks, jesse. i'm sorry that happened to you. try to remember that what goes around, comes around, and that people like that never amount to much good anyway.

I worked for a ticket broker in NJ about 4 years ago. One of the guys who used to scalp the tickets that they haven't sold by the day of the event told me to never buy tickets from any african americans around MSG. There's a fake ticket ring in that area and they usually are the ones selling. I never really believed him, but I guess it was true.

bonosgirl84 said:
i swear, some of you guys are super high tempered over here in the tour forums. sometimes it seems like you look for shit to pick on for no reason at all. giving a description of someone who is obviously a criminal is not a can of worms. it's a heads-up.

anyway, that sucks, jesse. i'm sorry that happened to you. try to remember that what goes around, comes around, and that people like that never amount to much good anyway.

i agree. people need to relax. it was a description it wasnt offensive(or at least shouldnt have been taken as offensive). The person was African American and was described as that. NOW you might say you could have just said some guy, but yet his clothing was described, so it was a description that was important for another part of the story(changing clothes)

man oh man, i love interference but sometimes i swear people just like trying to get under each others skin. Guys i like to do this too, but I do it to my friends so I can look at them and see the look on their face when I piss them off.:wink:

Last edited:
Steved1998 said:
I worked for a ticket broker in NJ about 4 years ago. One of the guys who used to scalp the tickets that they haven't sold by the day of the event told me to never buy tickets from any african americans around MSG. There's a fake ticket ring in that area and they usually are the ones selling. I never really believed him, but I guess it was true.

now that might have opened a can of worms :D

martha said:

In California, ticket brokers are scalpers with offices. That's the only difference.

Oh I agree. The guy was a criminal. He stold tickets for that Sept 11th benefit concert. It was a college job I had for about 5 months. I stuck around as long as I did to grab elevation tickets for the fall shows when the scumbag owner dropped prices the day of for stuff he couldn't get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom