How will the Vertigo tour change now that 40,000 people are confirmed dead in Asia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only mention we got tonight was "Indian Dream, but also an African Dream" during Pride. That is not a lot. Very surprised by the lack of reference. The cynic in me thinks it's not a marketable.

Musique47.gif

It won't change. That didn't happen in the USA, if I'm a bit sarcastic.

I present to you, ladies and gentlement, Exhibit A: A Tasteless Post, as seen in the following quote:

Carek1230 said:

I can't believe you'd post that on such a thread. 40,000 people are dead, rock on! :|

40,000 now? Jeez - the last 12 months have been very tragic for so many parts of the world.

I'm sure Bono will say something else in reference to this very soon. It's probably hard to know exactly what TO say. If there is any kind of fund raising event for them, I am certain they will be there. :up:

Man, I remember being shocked because I heard it was in the hundreds a good few days ago. RIP to those who have lost their lives in this disaster.

As for the Vertigo show, I guess a reference might pop up in Streets or Pride, but I also agree that the main focus will continue to be Africa.

U2FanPeter said:
Did they do anything when 300,000 people died in Asia 10 months ago?

u2fp

Were U2 doing anything publicly at the time?

The answer to both your question and mine is no.

They don´t give a s*** about that:sad: they will keep touring the USA as if nothing was happened :(

Im sure this disaster is in Bono's or U2's thoughts. Its hard to be U2 sometime. Alot of people expect them to solve the worlds problem or take notice of them at a U2 show. I think a U2 show is and should be an escape of what is going on in the real world. We don't want to like :sad: the entire show. Though I do understand what everyone is saying about the whole Africa cry. Has Bono taken it down a step or is just as much as the 1st leg. This has been a rough year from Mother Nature.

It's a tragic incident, but not something that relates to Bono and the work he does to "Make Poverty History" as it were. His main focus is Africa. If the started to talk about the quake then people would probably criticise him for jumping on any popular charitable cause to make him look good.

And remember, he is a rock star, not a politician.

To those criticising U2/Bono for "not doing anything" (and how do you know they/he havent/hasn't done anything anyway?), what have you done in response? :eyebrow:

why focus on U2, aren't you just as upset as there's not an Earthquake Relief Concert? It's a bigger issue than U2 not mentioning it at their concert.

And I actually heard that US helicopters were there the same day, although there were only 8 of them... that's a lot quicker than they got to New Orleans!

indra said:
To those criticising U2/Bono for "not doing anything" (and how do you know they/he havent/hasn't done anything anyway?), what have you done in response? :eyebrow:

Who's criticising? I'm just surprised Bono hasn't said anything about it during the recent shows. Again, the cynic in me feels that it's just not as marketable at a U2 show as New Orleans is. I don't think any less of Bono at all.

Also, this isn't about fundraising or awareness. This is about recognizing human fragility and the human condition. That's what U2 has always been about... capturing powerful emotions with words and melodies.

As for fundraising and awareness concerts, yes, I'm disappointed by the lack of same. But, honestly, that's a topic totally unrelated to U2. In short, there's a bit of us versus them here that is larger than U2.

And, for the record, I have family in Pakistan. :| Please don't insult me with the eyebrow and ask what I've done about the quake.

ponkine said:
They don´t give a s*** about that:sad: they will keep touring the USA as if nothing was happened :(

Is it their job to comment on every world event? - I dont think so.

MTEdge said:
So talking about damage caused by a hurricane in the Western world is okay?

If that's directed towards me - then of course talking about Katrina is OK. So is talking about the quake in Pakistan.

What I was saying was that it wasn't necessary for Bono to mention those things at all, as his main "charity", if you will, is Africa. Bono isn't someone who fights all the world's evil, you know.

MTEdge said:

And, for the record, I have family in Pakistan. :| Please don't insult me with the eyebrow and ask what I've done about the quake.

Isnt that just making it a more valid question. I mean I really hope your relatives are OK but accusing U2 of not caring because it isnt marketable is also kinda insulting and quick to judge..

What good would it do for u2 to comment every single night about every different world disaster (they get enough bitching about their speeches already). A lot happens in the world when you are touring for over a year. Somebody is bound to feel left out...(I mean we've got Iraq, all kinds of bombings and assasinations, tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes). I think its a sensible thing to focus on what their (or at least bono's) fight/cause was all about at the very start (the african thing).

I do want to add however that the pakistan earthquake does deserve more media attention (and financial and material aid) because it does seem that this earthquake gets less attention than for instance the new orleans hurricane

And again I do hope your family is OK

MTEdge said:
So talking about damage caused by a hurricane in the Western world is okay?

If that's directed towards me - then of course talking about Katrina is OK. So is talking about the quake in Pakistan.

What I was saying was that it wasn't necessary for Bono to mention those things at all, as his main "charity", if you will, is Africa. Bono isn't someone who fights all the world's evil, you know.

indra said:

Very well spoken! We can't point the finger at others when we do nothing ourselves. Unfortunately these disasters are just going to keep occuring. I am sorry though for the disaster and offer my prayers to those in Pakistan or who have family there.

Last edited:
What do we say when there's really nothing to say?
We make up cliches to say anyway?

Everything Bono doesn't speak about every night is "related" to his work; his poltical proper work is very focused, but it's all connected: war, hunger, poverty, disaster, the amount of money I'm spending on U2 tickets instead of charity, etc.

Let's thank ______ that we are okay and privileged enough to be posting in an online forum and not scavenging for survival.

Back
Top Bottom