How will the Vertigo tour change now that 40,000 people are confirmed dead in Asia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zooholland said:

Isnt that just making it a more valid question. I mean I really hope your relatives are OK but accusing U2 of not caring because it isnt marketable is also kinda insulting and quick to judge..

What good would it do for u2 to comment every single night about every different world disaster (they get enough bitching about their speeches already). A lot happens in the world when you are touring for over a year. Somebody is bound to feel left out...(I mean we've got Iraq, all kinds of bombings and assasinations, tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes). I think its a sensible thing to focus on what their (or at least bono's) fight/cause was all about at the very start (the african thing).

I do want to add however that the pakistan earthquake does deserve more media attention (and financial and material aid) because it does seem that this earthquake gets less attention than for instance the new orleans hurricane

And again I do hope your family is OK

I appreciate your concern for my family. Trust me, it was a harrowing Saturday morning.

I do disagree with your assessment that I have somehow insulted Bono for his failure to mention Pakistan. Being surprised and insulted are two different things... Knowing U2 the way that we do, I'm sure they have done something out of the limelight for the relief efforts. But, what I am focusing on is that I am surprised that he hasnt mentioned the quake at the MSG shows.

This is the way I see it... Bono's known for putting his heart on his sleeve. That means discussing relevant current events to a certain, but limited, extent at U2 shows. A great example of this were the London bombings. They were mentioned at a few Eurigo shows. But that was it whereas 40,000 dead, and not a single mention, yet.

People listen to Bono. There was a reason why the post 9/11 MSG shows were so healing. But, I repeat, the cynic in me believes that the earthquake isn't marketable. While that may seem insulting on the surface, it may also be a fact. (I guess we'll never know if it is a fact.) Another fact is that New Orleans is mentioned at every show. In fact, Bono forgot to mention it during his One Campaign speech on Tuesday, but corrected himself by mentioning it after One was finished. With that said, I will be in GA tomorrow night, and will be in GA for the November MSG shows as well. Again, I am not blaming or faulting Bono, just relaying my surprise at the lack of a mention about the Quake.

As for the overall relief efforts, one need not look farther than our beloved interference.com. After the Tsunami, interference had, "donate here for the Tsunami relief effort." After Katrina, interference had (and still has) "donate here for the Hurricane Katrina relief effort." After the quake, not a single mention. I am not blaming or faulting anyone... just posing the facts as they are. There is a bit of us versus them going on here that's truly unfortunate.

Last edited:
MTEdge said:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1207164

Donor Response to Quake Aid Falls Short: U.S. Donors Respond Slowly to Pakistan Quake; Pace Lags Behind Hurricane Katrina, Asia Tsunami :|

There are many reasons for this.

First, as others have mentioned, initial reports were that hundreds had perished, not tens of thousands. It's not that hundreds of lives aren't significant, but it won't generate as much news.

Second, the lack of news here is key. We heard tons about Katrina - and more because of the government's failure to help people rather than the actual storm itself.

The tsunami hit hundreds of thousands of people. That type of devastation tugs at everyone.

The last bit is that after donating to the tsunami, the hurricanes and other charities, people are starting to run low on donation funds! There's only so much to give, especially with gas/heating prices so high. As others wrote, Mother Nature has been wicked this year and the donations are just to frequent to keep pace.

But perhaps if this item was in the news more, it would receive the attention - and donations - it deserves.

MTEdge said:
This is the way I see it... Bono's known for putting his heart on his sleeve. That means discussing relevant current events to a certain, but limited, extent at U2 shows. A great example of this were the London bombings. They were mentioned at a few Eurigo shows. But that was it whereas 40,000 dead, and not a single mention, yet.

The one difference between the Quake and the London bombings is that the quake was a natural disaster and could not have been avoided. The London bombings were down to a small group of fanatics who were set on killing innocents - the sorts of people Bono has been campaigning against for 20+ years so he was bound to mention it.

Man, is it Bono's job to comment on every tragedy that happens in this world? People were upset after Katrina too...OMG Y HASNT BONER SAID N E THING HE DUZNT KARE ABOWT BLAK PEEPL

seriously though, it may get a brief mention, but i don't think the whole set will change or anything. they haven't changed it really much at all for Katrina either, and do they need to? no. It's a nice gesture to mention it, though.

This earthquake thing is so weird...it really didn't get much media at all. I hate how it's like we don't care about people across the world (I don't mean we as in everyone here, I mean we as in America, or so one might think based on media coverage, obviously plenty of people DO care). I don't know. The world is falling apart.

I present to you, ladies and gentlement, Exhibit B: A Senseless Post, as seen in the following quote:

Tip Top Prince said:
I can do without any references. Not like I care about any of those people.

You've just confirmed what I've always thought about you: that you're a rotten excuse for a human being.

i'm guessing he forgot to put "not that i DON'T care about any of those people." i know i often forget to type in key words for whatever reason.

but if not, well then, yes that's quite cold.

Zoomerang96 said:
i'm guessing he forgot to put "not that i DON'T care about any of those people." i know i often forget to type in key words for whatever reason.

but if not, well then, yes that's quite cold.

Considering his track record of being a prick, I'm not surprised there's no "don't".

Back
Top Bottom