How long does it take for U2 to get the kinks out of the live show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by ayearwome
I am a bit worried about the one week layoff from Vancouver to Chicago

I've noticed this large spread too and I hope we WON'T have
to even think twice about that May 7th performance....

Last edited:
Originally posted by RademR

good, I see them on 5/9. I never like going to opening night :wink:

Well if homework serves me correctly here.....
May 7th and 12th will be the BEST shows to see in Chicago,
because the "first and last" shows are always the most memorable in each city they tour....
( Although the 10th may be memorable for Bono, since he celebrates No.45 ...... )

I will never do an opening night again. I had tickets for Anaheim tonight, but gave them to friends. Will wait to see them in NYC on May 21st where they will deliver an incredible performance. I can just feel it.....OK, maybe I'm praying extra hard right now.

jenniferheger said:
I will never do an opening night again. Will wait to see them in NYC on May 21st where they will deliver an incredible performance.

The May 21st show in NYC is considered "opening night" as well..
So you've just contradicted yourself, there !!!
(FYI ....first shows in new cities are also considered as "openers") I would always choose the "opening night" in a new city, because that's the most memorable show compared to any additional shows that are added later on....

MsMofoGone said:

(FYI ....first shows in new cities are also considered as "openers") I would always choose the "opening night" in a new city, because that's the most memorable show compared to any additional shows that are added later on....

I disagree with this...first shows in a city in my experience are usually pretty "standard", the things that make shows more "special" happen on subsequent nights of a stand.

I think they were pretty well prepped (for them) for the Elevation opener...a couple of things didn't work that well (Sweetest Thing) and Bono fell off the heart, but otherwise it was pretty good. This tour seems to fall in between Elevation and Popmart (which didn't really start to really gel until the fifth or sixth week when they finally hit on a version of Staring at the Sun they could play :wink: ) in the preparation level.

Pop Artist said:

I disagree with this...first shows in a city in my experience are usually pretty "standard", the things that make shows more "special" happen on subsequent nights of a stand.

Maybe, in the smaller markets .... but, NOT in the larger ones....
The first shows in Chicago and New York are gonna blow fans
away, even more than the additional shows ......
The past tour experiences on the first night ... explain my reasoning behind this post ... I think this tour will have the same effect as Elevation did on the opening night in Chicago and New York ... The first nights will be far from standard ... they will be totally awesome....... :drool: :drool:

MsMofoGone said:

The past tour experiences on the first night ... explain my reasoning behind this post ... I think this tour will have the same effect as Elevation did on the opening night in Chicago and New York ... The first nights will be far from standard ... they will be totally awesome....... :drool: :drool:

Go check out the setlists for Chicago and Boston on the first leg of Elevation. On the opening night in each city, U2 played the standard tour setlist. On the fourth and final night in each city, they changed it markedly. The last night in a city with 3-4 songs is the best for setlist variety.

Performance quality, on the other hand, can't be judged just by looking at a set.

MsMofoGone said:

Actually I am talking about the larger markets! I've been to all the NY/NJ area shows for Popmart and Elevation. Good stuff happens in the NY area especially 2nd/3rd shows...the first shows are pretty standard. More limited experience with Chicago and Boston multi-shows is the same as NY.

Last edited:
By all accounts, last night's show was supposedly VERY good.......I think the real problem for them is that they have about 15 or 16 songs they can play really well, and then about a dozen other ones that they're ok at.......so they're either going to need to get better at those other songs, or get really good at a few of them and keep those in the set.

Axver said:

Go check out the setlists for Chicago and Boston on the first leg of Elevation. On the opening night in each city, U2 played the standard tour setlist. On the fourth and final night in each city, they changed it markedly. The last night in a city with 3-4 songs is the best for setlist variety.

Performance quality, on the other hand, can't be judged just by looking at a set.

First nights are usually "reviewer" nights so they play it safe on the setlists. Performance quality can vary though. For Spring Elevation, the NY/NJ shows were excellent all the way through. For the Fall, the energy level was pretty low from them the first two shows...the third was with the firemen :) ..and they were just plain tuckered out the next night in NJ. Second night Chicago on the 1st leg of Elevation they were in an interesting mood...very agressive different renditions of some tunes, I liked it a lot.

I'm betting they'll be in the grove early on this tour, as it sounds like they are getting better in leaps and bounds. I'll say 5-6 shows and the machine will be in over drive.

Yeah they are tight, however, there are some points that need to be refined just a little bit. In other words you do hear the odd glitch from time to time but nothing that is sooo horrible or anything!! I think this is what's going to make it into an even more awesome show over the next few weeks and months!!

Back
Top Bottom