How great is the Portland show going to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Another Day

The Fly
That show in Portland on Dec. 19th is going to be something else:

- Last show of the third leg, and of 2005

- A week before Christmas

- Kanye West opening

No doubt they'll all be in great moods, I expect to hear "Party Girl" AND I expect Bono to be intoxicated.

http://forum.interference.com/t139766.html

Remember that sad story about how those two chicks supposedly stole Bono's lyrics notebook in Portland during the Boy Tour in '81?

http://www.icemagazine.com/forums/msgs.cfm?msg=132886&forum=1&tz=420

I wonder if Bono will bring Cindy Harris up onstage to thank her personally. They'd have to play some "October" stuff then, wouldn't they? Gloria, With A Shout, Rejoice, I can't wait.

Last edited:
I wonder if Bono will bring Cindy Harris up onstage to thank her personally. They'd have to play some "October" stuff then, wouldn't they? Gloria, With A Shout, Rejoice, I can't wait.

Last shows are normally a party atmosphere but can lack intensity in my opinion. As for the October tracks? Dream on mate!

I'm sure you'll have a blast, an early Christmas present!

Can't... breathe........

...holding..... breath..... for...... "Stranger In A Strange Land".....

Is the kanye opening thing still true?

He annouced an arena tour through mid Dec recently. I doubt he play a Portland arena on Dec. 11 and then again on the 19th.

u2fp

Pollstar.com says kanye's tour ends on Dec 12th.

The last 4 u2 shows are Dec. 14/15/17/19.

Portland is the only city that is overlapped by both tours.

Has the kanye/u2 connection been reported outside u2.com?

The plot thickens...

u2fp

Was kanye announced before his album release and his telethon 'commentary'.

There has been a number of bands who had to yank announcement of opening shows. The Toronto shows were up in the air - there were one or two question marks in europe -and even an official denail of Scissor sisters openeing shows almost a year ago.

u2fp

:huh:

I give up. You can hope against hope that he won't open. I'll be enjoying him in Portland and all the folks who for some reason wish this wasn't happening can be outside in the cold discussing the reasons U2 shouldn't have Kanye West opening for them. :shrug:

U2 fans can be so exasperating at times. :mad:

It seems like European fans are harsher on the opening bands than US fans. For as much bitching as there was about Kings of Leon, at worst, there was ambivalence from the crowd.

And who the hell boos Pearl Jam? I get the impression that there are a lot of European fans would boo Jesus Christ himself if He came down and played a 30-minute set before U2 came on.

... or anyone would boo him, actually. There's always going to be people who don't like the opener, and a lot of people who don't care all that much. :shrug:

i'm going to BOOO my ass off at Kanye in Portland, and i will be waiting by the drink stands until he's done being a dumbass.

Stones fans didn't boo Pearl Jam when they opened in San Fran several years ago.

Although, it was refreshing to see Stones fans attempting to decapitate Justin Timberlake with waterbottles at SARSTOCK 2003.

BTW, did Prince even have a hit or bonafied GREAT album by the time of that 1981 show?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Although, it was refreshing to see Stones fans attempting to decapitate Justin Timberlake with waterbottles at SARSTOCK 2003.

I don't know if it was Stones fans or AC/DC fans cuz it seemed to me everyone in the front was there for AC/DC.

There were also the very classy "Timberlake is a fag" signs up at the front. :|

U2FanPeter said:

BTW, did Prince even have a hit or bonafied GREAT album by the time of that 1981 show?

Controversy was about to be released, but that doesn't matter.

Kanye West has two highly acclaimed albums out now. U2 fans just don't want to try something new. They want the band to do what the fans want, which hasn't ever been the case with U2. The fans make "informed" predictations, most of the time not even based on the band's past history, and then when the band makes its artistic decisions, fans take it personally.

Kanye West is opening for U2 in four unlikely cities. Everyone is going to have to deal with it.

U2FanPeter said:
Just remember that U2 fans booed Bjork(Wembley) and Pearl Jam(Italy) on the Zooropa tour.

u2fp

I do believe when Pearl Jam were booed in Europe, they weren't the famous act they are now.

It's gonna rule the world. I can't wait to be there. I've never been to Portland so I'm excited about the trip in general but the concert is no doubt the reason I'm going. I expect the guys to play for about 3.5 - 4 hours. Well a guy can dream.:wink: As for Kanye West opening then show, I'm pretty interested in seeing that. He doesn't seem like the typical rapper/hip hop artist. I think it'll be good. I've never seen a hip hop show so it's somthing new and I look forward to it. If he sucks , he sucks. I've seen plenty of shitty opening bands before so it'll be no big deal to me.

Last edited:
So what whoever is opening in Portland I've had my tickets since the day they went on presale. Kanye West has been announced and although I do not care for him personally or for his music (it is simply my OPINION) I will be in the house, waiting for U2 to hit the stage.

U2 doesn't even need an opening act, so I wish people would just chill and accept the fact that opening acts, multiples in some venues, are happening and that's just that.

Axver said:

I do believe when Pearl Jam were booed in Europe, they weren't the famous act they are now.

They were promoting their second album and were drawing 5-10,000 people on their own in other european cities. Their opening set included "Even Flow" "Alive" "Jeremy" "Daughter" amongst others.

www.fivehorizons.com has some reviews of the pearl jam opening sets. What's funny is that they had the gall to play snippets of I Will Follow and MLK, plus Vedder wore a Bono Fly mask for a song.

To take it even further, on the MTV episode of 120minutes shot in spring at the LA Forum, Edge was very complimentary of the entire band seeing PJ at a Chicago club. MTV Europe would have had access to that clip.

I'm just saying this to prove snobbery within hardcore U2 fans. I'm sure when P.L.E.B.A. watch an opening act they must sometimes get very embarrassed at their own fans reaction.

u2fp

I thought you meant the PLEBA forum here, not the actual guys themselves! :lol:

Even if Pearl Jam had been unknown when they played and were booed, it's not like they're a crappy band.

Maybe opening acts get booed more in Europe because they're not U2, not because they might suck ... although maybe an exception could be made for Kelis. :wink:

Hallucination said:

That's nice to see you've already decided to boo him. very open minded of you.

well he's a part of the problem. i hate the whole rap/hip hop genre and will do anything to boycott it. and those who like it, you suck. i can't fathum how a u2 fan could LOWER themselves to even give rap a chance. scum

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I can't believe one is this close minded and self righteous.

And a big :up: to Martha in this thread.

I completely agree. I can't believe someone who loves U2 would boo another artist. I thought U2 fans were open minded and respectful. Granted Im not a fan of Kanye West, but I would never boo him just because I didn't like his songs. To each their own.

Is he opening on th 12th of december too? or is someone else?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom