How do you avoid buying a fake ticket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
if you end up having to buy from a scalper?

Anyone have any problems with this?

My friends are going to Boston and trying to help them out.

Thanks

I was reading this thread, and I decided to pull out the ticket I got from ebay out for tonights show in Boston.. and I'm reading the fine red print on the back and I see this:

The New York Yankees ("Yankees") reserve the right, with or without refunding the face price of the ticket yada yada yada.... Yankes reserve the right to take appropiate action....

and it goes on and on all about the YANKEES! On a U2 ticket?

Am I screwed???

alison0313 said:
I was reading this thread, and I decided to pull out the ticket I got from ebay out for tonights show in Boston.. and I'm reading the fine red print on the back and I see this:

The New York Yankees ("Yankees") reserve the right, with or without refunding the face price of the ticket yada yada yada.... Yankes reserve the right to take appropiate action....

and it goes on and on all about the YANKEES! On a U2 ticket?

Am I screwed???

If I'm correct, every ticketmaster ticket has that on there.

Oh boy.
Alison, I'm afraid you are screwed. I just read something on Atu2.com that says people were turned away at the Boston show because of bogus tickets they bought online. They dished out thousands of dollars for those tickets and they were fake. Many of them were crying. It was a sad story. OMG, I thought about buying one of those tickets. Thank God I didn't. First off, paying thousands of dollars for a concert for bad seats is ridiculous, no matter how much I love U2.

TwoAmericas said:
Oh boy.
Alison, I'm afraid you are screwed. I just read something on Atu2.com that says people were turned away at the Boston show because of bogus tickets they bought online. They dished out thousands of dollars for those tickets and they were fake. Many of them were crying. It was a sad story. OMG, I thought about buying one of those tickets. Thank God I didn't. First off, paying thousands of dollars for a concert for bad seats is ridiculous, no matter how much I love U2.

I read that story in the herald this morning. Those were ticketfast tickets. I wouldn't trust ticketfast tickets or an unreputable seller on ebay.

I think this is standard procedure to put that on there since the Yankees sell through ticketmaster.

Ack no i dont know what to think. Thanks for the info.. I'll go and see what happens. I actually paid UNDER face value.. so its not like I'm losing out on a lot of money. I'll be heartbroken though. :sad:

alison0313 said:
Ack no i dont know what to think. Thanks for the info.. I'll go and see what happens. I actually paid UNDER face value.. so its not like I'm losing out on a lot of money. I'll be heartbroken though. :sad:

I have the same thing about the Yankees on my tickets too and they look pretty real to me.

hold a flame up till the corner (not too close!) and if it turns black, it's real.

Isn't that one of the ways?

daygloeyes2 said:

If it turns black, that means you might have burned it. :laugh:

Rip 'em and burn 'em!

It does work. This "black" that it turns is not a typical burn. If the ticket is fake, it would burn on the underside, where the flame is, and just burn to ash or turn brown. True tickets are fine on the underside where the flame touches, but the top side turns jet black (like it would if you left your ticket in the sun for a day). The ticket is not actually burning, it's turing black b/c it's hot.

I wouldn't burn the ticket unless you're REALLY scared b/c you have to be careful not to let the black spread to the bar code.

If you wanna really be sure, tear the edge a tiny bit. The inside of a true ticket will have blue fibers running through it.

In general, if you have to buy a scalped ticket, do it through a well-known broker. Try to avoid individuals on eBay or things like that. A broker whose entire income is based on scalping is not going to sell fake tickets.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust me with a lighter. :laugh:

Just tore the edge a little bit. Saw some blue. :)

My show isn't until December, but better I make sure now.

Ticketmaster prints both sporting events and concerts on the same stock. Most likely all Boston tickets that were bought online have the Yankees fineprint disclaimer on the back (I know mine do). This is becuase they are both printed at the same location. So don't worry if the back of your ticket has a disclaimer for another event or team.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Rip 'em and burn 'em!

It does work. This "black" that it turns is not a typical burn. If the ticket is fake, it would burn on the underside, where the flame is, and just burn to ash or turn brown. True tickets are fine on the underside where the flame touches, but the top side turns jet black (like it would if you left your ticket in the sun for a day). The ticket is not actually burning, it's turing black b/c it's hot.

I wouldn't burn the ticket unless you're REALLY scared b/c you have to be careful not to let the black spread to the bar code.

This same thing happened to me when I went to a White Stripes concert a while back. The barcode wasn't scanning, and so they had to burn my ticket. It works.

Fille Friday said:

This same thing happened to me when I went to a White Stripes concert a while back. The barcode wasn't scanning, and so they had to burn my ticket. It works.

What? So the venue will actually use this method to see if the ticket's legit?

Back
Top Bottom