How do we know Portland Dec 19th is the LAST show for sure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFGAL

The Fly
What if I buy tickets thinking I am going to the last show and then they add a second date to Portland?

Do they do that or do you think that December 19th would be THE FINAL TOUR DATE?

I mean, I don't mind buying more tickets for more shows...
heck... they can keep the tour going to Christmas Day... :)

but it would be nice to know that I was getting tickets to the last show for sure.

I guess you wont ever know if I was to bet on it they will probably add a show there.

Well, for the last presale we thought that the 26th was the last show in Boston, and then they added the 28th.

We don't know that it's the last date, but it's reasonable to believe that it is due to its proximity to the holidays, and the band members wanting to be in Dublin with their families.

Portland is an odd city to end the tour on, though. Ah well.

U2 will not want to miss out on using their frequent flyer miles which will surely be blacked out from the 20th on.

Not if they use their own plane which they have in the past.

After all they wouldnt want to sit with skum like us lol

If they go to Australia or other countries, wouldn't that be after Portland anyway? There's no reason that the tour can't continue in 2006, especially as it will be summer down under at that point.

Unless Bono decides to actually make good on that "new album in 2006" remark.

laz

Yeah I was just thinking that... apparently they are thinking of doing Australia and Japan in 2006....
well then I guess I mean... the last show in the good ol United States of America.... didn't you know that there are no other countries except the US? We have no idea that any other country exists. ;)

Odds are they will schedule one more show if there is the demand for it. I've no idea of the size of Portland or whether it could sustain a second show.

Past pattern for shows this close to Christmas:

JT Tour
11, 12 December 1987: Hartford
19, 20 December 1987: Tempe

Lovetown Tour (italics were cancelled due to Bono's vocal troubles)
18, 19, 20 December 1989, Amsterdam
26, 27, 30, 31 December 1989, Dublin

And as the US leg has now continued well and truly into December, the band probably won't come down to Australia until late January or February 2006, IF they come at all.

I can't see how Portland could support 2 shows. But maybe the fact that the Seattle and Vancouver shows are in april and this is 8 months later, a lot of the Seattle and Vancouver fans will come down to catch the final show(s) in Portland. If it were in the middle of the tour, I don't think Portland could support 2 shows. However, since it's the end of the tour, and since they are the only show(s) in that region of the country, it might be justifiable.

HelloAngel said:
Portland is an odd city to end the tour on, though. Ah well.

:eyebrow: Well, I think it's fantastic. Portland is awesome. Of course, I'm biased. LOL. Seriously, though, I agree - I was stunned when I saw it was the last date. Pleasantly surprised, but it's still a little unusual...

My thoughts are that it *will* be the last date, due to it being only a few days before Christmas. I would be extremely surprised if the Rose Garden could handle another date... the venue is a lot different than say, Boston or MSG. I guess we'll just have to see.

Last edited:
Beacuse of this condition of final city of the whole NorthAmerican tour, I think promoters will add a second date in Portland (like in Seattle or Vancouver).

Portland-NY-Dublín, or something = U2 in Dublin with their families on December 21 :D

Vox

Westport said:
Vegas will be the last show on December 20th.:wink:

Don't count Vegas out yet. Someone on Zootopia pointed out that the Thomas Mack Arena is also a tickets.com venue. I hadn't remembered that from Elevation, but now that I think about it I believe that's correct.

Maybe they just can't include the Tickets.com venues in the presales so they'll announce those dates later.

There is still hope for Vegas.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I see the following cities being added:

Sacramento/Oakland/Las Vegas

I definitely think those cities will all see shows added during the Fall Leg, sometime later this year.

Hope you're right. It's kind of odd to not have an SF Bay ARea show on this leg just because they typically come back during the fall leg. Not complaining cause it's easy enough to drive to LA but there is a pretty big hole between the last LA show and the next show in FL so one or more of those dates would fit in quite nicely there!

Never thought about the tickets.com connection but the Oakland Arena is one of those venues so maybe that's why no announcement or presale.

I'm always surprised by just how many U2 fans there are in the Portland area. I love it.

i'd also like to know, since im planning on seeing the final us show of the tour. im already seeing opening nite in san diego, so it will be a kind of closure thingy . . . yes, im a freak :)

martha said:
:shifty:

What the hell is tickets.com and will this mess me up when I go to Ticketbastard to buy Portland tickets?

It's a competitor to ticketmaster. They don't have as many venues and their physical "outlets" are basically atm-like machines in random places like grocery stores.

Portland Arena is a ticketmaster venue.

Roland of Gilead said:
Portland WILL get a second show. December 20th. I have no doubt about it. Closing cities attract attention.

comparison of last cities shows...

on outside broadcast, Las Vegas and Anaheim were last two US shows...no second dates. this doesn't include the 4 dates they did in Mexico City after that.

on popmart, Vancouver and Seattle were last two NA dates, no second dates, very close cities.

on elevation tour, there was Tampa and Miami as last two shows.. no second dates, very close cities.

this time, Salt Lake City and Portland, kind of close distance.

I don't think there will be a second Portland because there has never been a second last city show at all on recent tours but anythings possible.

Back
Top Bottom