How can we help this guy out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
20051215__fea_u2painting_1216~1_200.jpg

Artist runs into obstacles in trying to aid U2-linked charity
Painter had hoped to meet the band, sell painting
By Brandon Griggs
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune

This is a story of an artist, an oil painting and one of the world's most popular rock bands. The artist is Nathan Florence of Salt Lake City. His painting is a sprawling canvas of Irish rockers U2, who play the sold-out Delta Center Saturday.
The story is not over - yet.
A longtime U2 fan, Florence began the painting in July. Inspired by lead singer Bono's efforts to fight global injustices, Florence decided to sell the finished painting to raise money for one of Bono's pet causes: the ONE campaign against worldwide AIDS and poverty.
"I wanted to add my voice to the campaign," said Florence, 33, who studied art at Swarthmore College and in Italy. "It's my way of singing along."
Titled "Architects of Hope," the painting shows the rockers building a winged flying contraption in an Irish field ringed with ancient sacred stones. The flying machine is a metaphor for the spiritual uplift present in many U2 songs, and the canvas is full of religious symbolism: Guitarist The Edge raises a hand in a gesture of blessing; drummer Larry Mullen Jr. holds the machine the way Mary cradles Christ's body in Michelangelo's "Pietà"; and ringmaster Bono stands in the center, face cast downward in penitence and his ever-present sunglasses hovering over his head like a halo.
The painting measures 4 by 6 feet. Completing it took Florence three months.
Knowing that U2 was playing Salt Lake City in December, Florence began dreaming. What if he could get his painting delivered to the band's dressing room? Even better: What if the musicians liked it and invited him backstage to explain its meanings? Or autographed the back, increasing its value to charity?
Florence contacted Brent Allenbach, vice president of events for the Delta Center. No stranger to such requests, Allenbach told Florence what he tells every star-struck fan seeking to deliver a note or flowers backstage.
"I told him not to get his hopes up," said Allenbach, who agreed to present the painting to the tour's regional promoter, who would then try to get it to the band's manager. "We make no promises. I told him there's a good chance it'll never see [U2] and that it may end up in the Dumpster."
Excited nonetheless, Florence issued a press release stating his painting would be "presented" to U2 at the concert. He also contacted the ONE campaign, tour promoters Clear Channel and the news media to drum up interest in his painting. But Florence's project backfired when word of his efforts reached the Canadian firm that is marketing the band's Vertigo tour.
Susan Rosenberg, vice president of tour marketing for Toronto-based The Next Adventure, quashed Florence's dreams in a scolding e-mail Tuesday, saying that his press release "implies an endorsement of Nathan by U2. As you are well aware, this is definitely not the case." Rosenberg added that Florence's painting will not be allowed backstage at the Delta Center. "That matter is closed," she wrote.
Because of its uniqueness and its ties to a U2-endorsed charity, Florence's painting had a better-than-average chance of making it to the band, said Allenbach. As for Florence, he still hopes to find a buyer willing to help the ONE campaign by paying $25,000 for his painting. And he's trying to swallow his disappointment.
"I'm pretty frustrated," he said. "I've tried to do this the right way and go through the proper channels. This was not just a gimmick for me to get tickets or meet [the band]."
Despite his setback, Florence will still be in the arena with 15,000 other fans when U2 takes the stage Saturday night. His seats are in the upper bowl.
---
Contact Brandon Griggs at griggs@sltrib.com or 801-257-8689. Send comments about this story to livingeditor@sltrib .com.

hmm, well he could wait behind the arena to meet them just like everybody else who does artwork of the band or who want to get pictures signed.

His original intentions may have been good, but he lost all credibility when he went to the press after U2 had already said no.

Chizip said:
His original intentions may have been good, but he lost all credibility when he went to the press after U2 had already said no.
I agree.
I don't think he went about this "the right way" at all. The fact that he called the press to get an article written about this is really kind of disturbing.
Truthfully, if I were the band, I'd be a little freaked out by him.

Some homeless asks you for a quarter and for whatever reasons, you say "no." That same person goes to the press and calls you out.

Really the same thing here.

Shame on this guy.

to be honest the bono doesnt look much like bono anyway

larger-U2.jpg

i wouldnt pay 25 grand for it :der:

Last edited:
Oh man... an extra reason to refuse to meet the dude. That painting is TERRIBLE. Could you imagine listening to some pretensious dude explaining the meaning behind that piece?

"Despite his setback, Florence will still be in the arena with 15,000 other fans when U2 takes the stage Saturday night. His seats are in the upper bowl."

bias much?

art is in the eye of the beholder. Someone who supports charities that fight poverty and doesn't care for u2 might still buy that. I think you are all being a bit too harsh. His one mistake was making an innacurate press release. I think Bono has lied a few times to get what he wanted....

And I think Bono would meet with a guy if he thought the painting had a chance of selling. Being a U2 fan, i wouldn't buy it, but some rich guy might if Bono said he liked it.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
I do like the symbolic brazier hanging over Bono's head. It symbolizes his love for women but his commitment to Ali.

:lmao:

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
"Despite his setback, Florence will still be in the arena with 15,000 other fans when U2 takes the stage Saturday night. His seats are in the upper bowl."

bias much?

ZMP800, the article is fake.

:wink:

My favorite part is how "Dumpster" is capitalized:

"I told him not to get his hopes up," said Allenbach, who agreed to present the painting to the tour's regional promoter, who would then try to get it to the band's manager. "We make no promises. I told him there's a good chance it'll never see [U2] and that it may end up in the Dumpster."

Does that make it a dumpster for Art? :wink:

25 grand, really?
regardless of what the painting looks like, the guys still not exactly a well known artist.
hell, had bono himself painted it, $25k still would have been a lot!

romi said:
art is in the eye of the beholder. Someone who supports charities that fight poverty and doesn't care for u2 might still buy that. I think you are all being a bit too harsh. His one mistake was making an innacurate press release. I think Bono has lied a few times to get what he wanted....

And I think Bono would meet with a guy if he thought the painting had a chance of selling. Being a U2 fan, i wouldn't buy it, but some rich guy might if Bono said he liked it.

Actually, I think he's made 2 big mistakes. The press release being the first and then this article that is kind of unfair to the band and their management. If he wants to donate the picture to charity, fine, but he's coming across as having ulterior motives for his good deed.

Back
Top Bottom