Honolulu taped for DVD release?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwolins1

The Fly
On Sunday following the concert my girlfriend and I visited the U.S.S. Missouri in Pearl Harbor. While we were taking the trolley back to the parking lot I overheard someone talking about Bono and the concert the night before. The man told us he was the VIP Resort Services Director for Polynesian Adventure Tours in Hawaii. After the concert U2 and all their friends, family, and celebrity guests had an invite only private party aboard the U.S.S. Missouri. At the party he was talking to Bono about his work with the Rainforests. The guy also said that parties like this happen all the time because it is a Naval Base and nobody uninvited has access to get there.

He told us that he heard that they taped the show and were going to release it on DVD!

I havent heard ANY reports that they had extra camera production at the show. Doubt it seriously.

Besides they are doing the IMAX thing. That is the only other official Vertigo DVD/film that will be released.

No Way...watch the video for WGRYWH...NO U2 dvd would tolerate that level of spontaneity.

I feel like the last night being recorded would ruin the whole night. I feel like it would be too static, to 'regulated' to have that great "last night" feel.

~A.j.~

Every show on the fourth and fifth legs will be released as part of gigantic box set. :drool:

Axver said:
Every show on the fourth and fifth legs will be released as part of gigantic box set. :drool:

:drool: Yea for christmas next year.... man everybody needs bigger christmas trees to fit that box under it!

Man, gotta have it. Then they'll release an album called U2 1978 which will be a studio version of their BBC Live Broadcast concert of May 31, 1978.

anyone can sell out a stadium, if you decide the capacity yourself. some weirdo at this place has decided to rent a stadium and only make 3 tickets available, for instance. doesnt make his band the biggest on the planet, just because he sells out that venue, eh?

U2Man said:
anyone can sell out a stadium, if you decide the capacity yourself. some weirdo at this place has decided to rent a stadium and only make 3 tickets available, for instance. doesnt make his band the biggest on the planet, just because he sells out that venue, eh?

Well, have you ever been to a show where it was not possible to fit ANYONE else in the building? Again, differences in the size and design of stages, where the stage is positioned in the venue, the number and size of lighting towers and mixing desk, seats or general admission on the floor, all impact the capacity level for a concert. It naturally changes from show to show because of these things.

This show was the largest show in terms of attendance in the history of the state of Hawaii! Perhaps more people could have been fit into the stadium, but how many? Would that break the laws in regards to the fire code for the venue? There have been reports of the long waits people had to get down onto the field and overcrowding in several area's, yet you think there was plenty of room for more people? Maybe there was, but you don't have any statistical or factual information to show that.

^
^

Too late. There may be a late ticket drop though, depending on demand. :madspit:

U2Man said:

Were you there at the show to determine if it was sold out or not? I was there and it was packed. I was on the floor and looking up to the highest levels, i could not see any section that was within any reasonable site lines of the stage having any noticeable gaps in it. I did see sections on the side of the stage and behind the stage that were intentionally left unsold, as no one would have been able to see the show form those seats, but otherwsie the show looked sold out, though if a couple hundred tickets were unsold around the stadium, it would not have been really noticeable.

Like all U2 shows, there were tickets released at the box office and online in the days leading up to the show, so it's possible that some of those held back tickets did not sell out to the walk up crowd, but for all intents, this show was a sell out.

fandangamoq said:
No Way...watch the video for WGRYWH...NO U2 dvd would tolerate that level of spontaneity.

actually, the 2nd night of Boston 2001 for the Elevation DVD they brought up a guy onstage to play People Get Ready.

obviously they didn't use it for the DVD (and used STAY instead from the first night) but it was still spontaneous for a taped show!! :)

sadly, this show was not taped for DVD release since there were no extra cameras!

it was also MAD soldout... looking up from the ellipse I couldn't see an empty seat either!

Back
Top Bottom