Has Edge smiled yet this tour? and is the goal still 'soul'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
The issue with Edge's daughter aside, I remember Edge and Bono doing some pretty amazing 'duets' out on the edge of the heart during Elevation. Haven't seen much of that this year and truthfully, while Vertigo is certainly an amazing show, I just feel as though something's missing. Can't quite put my finger on it. I was just watching Slane tonight and Bono was completely into the show, no teleprompter, basically balls out the whole time.

This time around from the footage I've seen it seems as though he's more content to let the crowd do more singing at times than he is. I'm hearing that lyric botching might be at an all time high this time 'round. I understand he's older and all that, but is Bono really pushing himself this tour? Edge is, for sure, Adam is smiling more than I've ever seen, and Larry is the same as always. I get the feeling that Bono is so hyped up on this Africa thing and the clout that he's gained politically that he might not have his heart 100% into the music. Maybe it's just the overt political message (or the fake tear wipe before Sometimes...) that comes along with this show that takes away from the purity of the music moreso than other tours. I know U2 is notoriously emphatic about certain issues, but from Pride to Streets to One all that's referenced is Africa and poverty, which quite honestly is overkill in my opinion. Now if some of the money that I paid for my ticket was going toward some of these causes or if I knew how much money came out of Bono's pocket toward these causes, maybe I'd feel better about it.

Not trying to set myself up for a flame, but does anyone else get this vibe that there's more talk than walk this time around? I mean come on, if Bono's so gung ho about getting a million Americans to sign up for the One campaign, how about a running tally at each show to see just how many people have signed up since the last show. Is this happening? How close are we to the goal? Is the goal still 'Soul'? I guess, if there's going to be that much rhetoric about the African Poverty cause, let's back it up with some numbers. Are we making a difference or are we spinning our wheels?

Oh and look at me, I'm now an Acrobat, I talk like this and post like that...

Last edited:
u2sanjose4-9-05024.jpg

u2wedge said:
Enjoy it while you can; I think the ranks get suckier the more posts you get. I'm "The Refugee" or some shit. I guess I can look forward to "Red Light" and "A Man and a Woman" if I keep yapping.

Oh, and no comment on all the Africa stuff since it's been discussed/bitched about to death here.

Last edited:
I signed up for One. So did my friend that I took to the concert.

So that makes 2 more.

I did notice Bono and Edge do a cute little cuddle and I noticed Edge smiled and laughed a couple of times during the Seattle 2 show.
Also, I DID notice Adam smile A LOT during the show too and I thought that was sooooooo wonderful! He must be now loving the audience.

I have to disagree with Bono "botching" his own singing. I have seen him in tour since Zoo TV and there is little difference. I would like it if he had MORE interaction with the audience though (ie ME ME ME ME ME), but it seems to me when he sings he embraces the whole arena as one. As for the teleprompter, who knows for sure there wasn't one in the past tours? I think he botches The Fly, but shit, that's the only song I can't put my finger on either. And he's always done the political shit, if you go to a U2 concert you will have to be prepared for some political shit thrown in the loop, they've always been passionate like that. It goes back to the White Flag, Sinn Fein, NRA, Stop Sellafield shit. It what sets U2 aside from other bands. Fair play to put themselves in that position to be ridiculed and often burned for it.

And remember: Bono has enough heart to lend to Africa as well as give 100% to this tour. You, as a fan, have to know that!
*I'm an Acrobat too, to talk like this and react like that.

Not sure if the Edge is smiling, but on Monday he was dancing and jigging and jumping all over the stage as he played! Looked to be having a good time.

u2wedge said:
The issue with Edge's daughter aside, I remember Edge and Bono doing some pretty amazing 'duets' out on the edge of the heart during Elevation. Haven't seen much of that this year and truthfully, while Vertigo is certainly an amazing show, I just feel as though something's missing. Can't quite put my finger on it. I was just watching Slane tonight and Bono was completely into the show, no teleprompter, basically balls out the whole time.

This time around from the footage I've seen it seems as though he's more content to let the crowd do more singing at times than he is. I'm hearing that lyric botching might be at an all time high this time 'round. I understand he's older and all that, but is Bono really pushing himself this tour? Edge is, for sure, Adam is smiling more than I've ever seen, and Larry is the same as always. I get the feeling that Bono is so hyped up on this Africa thing and the clout that he's gained politically that he might not have his heart 100% into the music. Maybe it's just the overt political message (or the fake tear wipe before Sometimes...) that comes along with this show that takes away from the purity of the music moreso than other tours. I know U2 is notoriously emphatic about certain issues, but from Pride to Streets to One all that's referenced is Africa and poverty, which quite honestly is overkill in my opinion. Now if some of the money that I paid for my ticket was going toward some of these causes or if I knew how much money came out of Bono's pocket toward these causes, maybe I'd feel better about it.

Not trying to set myself up for a flame, but does anyone else get this vibe that there's more talk than walk this time around? I mean come on, if Bono's so gung ho about getting a million Americans to sign up for the One campaign, how about a running tally at each show to see just how many people have signed up since the last show. Is this happening? How close are we to the goal? Is the goal still 'Soul'? I guess, if there's going to be that much rhetoric about the African Poverty cause, let's back it up with some numbers. Are we making a difference or are we spinning our wheels?

try downloading the San diego 2 dvd bootleg, bono is into the music more than he was on elevation, imo of course

Re: Re: Has Edge smiled yet this tour? and is the goal still 'soul'?

KUEFC09U2 said:
try downloading the San diego 2 dvd bootleg, bono is into the music more than he was on elevation, imo of course

I did.

I also downloaded the previews for 4/1 and 4/2 and was completely uninspired (unexpectedly, I must say) seeing Bono's performance during BTBS. Never made the rounds on the catwalk, completely flat footed on stage the whole time and then when it came time for him to do his mid-song snippet, he said something to the effect "not really sure what to do here, not sure what to say" (not verbatim, but essentially he was not able to come up with anything to say...) That just gave me this feeling that he just wasn't into it. He's a better showman than that and I just sensed he was 'ALMOST' going through the motions. Again, my perception based on the dvd footage that I've seen, I can only base my reaction on that. I'm hoping I'm completely wrong, trust me.

Regarding political message... of course U2's political, everyone knows that. I'm just saying that out of all the shows I've ever seen/heard, I've never seen this much emphasis placed on their issue of the day.

I couch my statements based on the fact that I'm a hard core fan dating back to '87 (not a Boy or War poser) and have seen them 5 times and will be seeing them another 5 times this tour.

I guess based on my past experience seeing them, I sense a shift, albeit minor. But hey, there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.

Thanks for the Edge pic, I was hoping he was enjoying himself a bit, I know he's got a lot on his mind.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Has Edge smiled yet this tour? and is the goal still 'soul'?

u2wedge said:

I did.

I also downloaded the previews for 4/1 and 4/2 and was completely uninspired (unexpectedly, I must say) seeing Bono's performance during BTBS. Never made the rounds on the catwalk, completely flat footed on stage the whole time and then when it came time for him to do his mid-song snippet, he said something to the effect "not really sure what to do here, not sure what to say" (not verbatim, but essentially he was not able to come up with anything to say...) That just gave me this feeling that he just wasn't into it. He's a better showman than that and I just sensed he was 'ALMOST' going through the motions. Again, my perception based on the dvd footage that I've seen, I can only base my reaction on that. I'm hoping I'm completely wrong, trust me.

Regarding political message... of course U2's political, everyone knows that. I'm just saying that out of all the shows I've ever seen/heard, I've never seen this much emphasis placed on their issue of the day.

I couch my statements based on the fact that I'm a hard core fan dating back to '87 (not a Boy or War poser) and have seen them 5 times and will be seeing them another 5 times this tour.

I guess based on my past experience seeing them, I sense a shift, albeit minor. But hey, there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.

Thanks for the Edge pic, I was hoping he was enjoying himself a bit, I know he's got a lot on his mind.
they didnt have a "catwalk" during the JT tour, so what did you do then? U2 arent all about catwalks belive it or not. i suggest you sell any tickets you have, give someone who will love the chance, rather than being dissapointed

Actually Larry is not the same. In my opinion this is his best tour ever. He and The Edge are the ones who are trying the most to change the songs. Listen to Larry during The Fly, Elevation, Zoo Station, Miracle Drug, 40, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights. Larry NEVER improvised this much. He is in my opinion the most spontaneous member on this tour too. Not to mention that he is singing a lot. This might be Edge's best tour too I think.

:larry:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Has Edge smiled yet this tour? and is the goal still 'soul'?

u2wedge said:

I did.

:mad:
Yes, Edge is keeping to himself a bit this tour, but Adam has never been more engaged with the fans (and Bono). And Larry is freaking singing, Bono's on the drums, they're loving the crowds - Edge's solos are still mindblowing...and I'm desperate for his T-shirt.

The Seattle shows were some of the best I've been to. No they WERE the best I've been to. And Bono's lyric botching rate is maybe higher than Elevation, but it's endearing and cute!! It's still relatively early in the tour and they always get better, so let's cut 'em some slack and enjoy the ride. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Has Edge smiled yet this tour? and is the goal still 'soul'?

KUEFC09U2 said:
they didnt have a "catwalk" during the JT tour, so what did you do then? U2 arent all about catwalks belive it or not. i suggest you sell any tickets you have, give someone who will love the chance, rather than being dissapointed

Did I say U2 was about catwalks?

If you want to compare BTBS from JT to Vertigo Tour, let's do it.

JT BTBS wins hands down. It was ripe back then, still on fire. They were still slapping them down back then. Now it's in the Hands that Built America. I prefer the raw angry version of Bullets than the kinder gentler version. That's all I'm saying. Has anyone squinted during this tour's version?

The three shows I saw, I think Edge was enjoying the hell out of himself on stage. His guitar playing has never been better and he was stomping his foot and making faces, strutting around the ellipse, just a full on rock star.

Vertigo Bullet is 100 times better than the JT version. All the 80's versions of Bullet sound pale compared to the ones on Zoo and everything after that.

Don't believe what you see, don't believe what you read, if you just close your eyes, you can feel he's the enemy.." LOL

Sorry, couldn't help myself. LOL

I haven't seen any of the shows but from what I've heard, Adam has had a complete metamorphosis (I think he's had his teeth fixed - I saw braces on him somewhere- I think it was the DVD that came with HTDAAB-, maybe that's why HE's smiling so much and venturing out on the catwalk) and Larry singing is just....I just can't wait to see it in person, I've only seen it on VH-1 All Access and it looked awesome.

dsmith2904 said:
The three shows I saw, I think Edge was enjoying the hell out of himself on stage. His guitar playing has never been better and he was stomping his foot and making faces, strutting around the ellipse, just a full on rock star.

:yes: The foot stomp has been in full force :) :up:

Plus the fist pumps during the "alrights" in Zoostation :heart:

U2FloridaFan said:
I haven't seen any of the shows but from what I've heard, Adam has had a complete metamorphosis (I think he's had his teeth fixed - I saw braces on him somewhere- I think it was the DVD that came with HTDAAB-, maybe that's why HE's smiling so much and venturing out on the catwalk) and Larry singing is just....I just can't wait to see it in person, I've only seen it on VH-1 All Access and it looked awesome.

u2FloridaFan... email me and I can mail you out a dvd copy of one of the first couple shows. vertiblog @ gmail.com

What a great offer, U2wedge. What great fans we have at Interference...you're the best. I sent you an email. I'm trying to hold off on seeing any video until I've seen them live (which won't be until November). :( :( :(

U2FloridaFan said:

I was at both Seattle shows and they all seemed to be having a blast. I LOVED seeing Larry sing, and Bono on the drums. :) :)
The duel between Bono and Adam was soo cool. I have never seen Adam venture out like that :)

I have to say the four times I have seen BTBS this tour has cemented it in my mind that it is the darkest, loudest, hardest, most evil version they have done. I suspect DVD's aren't doing it justice.

Back
Top Bottom