Has anyone found the kites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I can say is - not obviously a fan!!! 1. Who would leave a U2 concert early and if they knew what that kite meant from both U2 and also the fans - who would sell it!!!

well, this is close:

100063Lg.jpg

can be bought here:
http://store.kittyhawk.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=100063 &UnitCde=1&Search=N

I cant believe some people. Firstly, why would you pay good $ and leave a concert early??? Secondly, some people dont understand the meaning and significance of the releasing of the kite. I seriously doubt the fact that the money from this will go to charity

My cousin MADE us leave during the last song of a concert the summer before last. He wanted to beat traffic (which would've been horrible, as this place was in the middle of nowhere and traffic in had been horrible), but had I been the driver I woudn't have stood for that kind of suggestion! I guess I'm trying to say that you never know when a normally cool person will turn out to be very impatient and do a thing like leave early!

The only plus-side was I didn't have to wait in line at the merch table. (and traffic was non-existant...but that wouldn't bother me)

Allow me to don my Devil's Advocate hat and ask a hypothetical question...

What would you do if you found one of the kites? In your backyard, on the side of the road, up a tree? The night of the show or weeks later?
What if there were a few people who saw it, would you try to get it first, and why?

Alisaura said:

What would you do if you found one of the kites? In your backyard, on the side of the road, up a tree? The night of the show or weeks later?
What if there were a few people who saw it, would you try to get it first, and why?

I'd risk life and limb to get the kite. Why? Because i'm a lunatic.

I'd probably put it in the garage and forget about it until the band was in town again....

wang_chung said:
I cant believe some people. Firstly, why would you pay good $ and leave a concert early??? Secondly, some people dont understand the meaning and significance of the releasing of the kite. I seriously doubt the fact that the money from this will go to charity

Pet hates from Australian tour (yes, I am a tragic that followed them around)

* At EVERY concert some of the audience left before the first or second encore - they could see the rest of the audience was not going anywhere and was yelling / clapping / carrying on for more but STILL they left

* At EVERY concert people left in the middle of Kite

GRRRRRR Why do they bother?? Many people that would have stayed until the end missed out on tickets because of these nit-wits.

Rant over.

I miss them already....so long to wait again

Seeing the pictures of the kite - it's just a fucking kite people. Somehow I doubt Willie Williams or Jesus is crying over its loss.

at the may MSG show, i was exhausted, i felt like shit, my seats weren't great and i really really wanted to just go home... i thought of leaving early, but i couldn't pull myself to do it... didn't want ot miss anything. of course instead of a special ending for the lone MSG show of that leg, we got the lame vertigo times two. ended up passing out on the train ride home and missed my stop and had to take a 50 dollar cab ride home. still glad i didn't leave early. that's just not right.

Alisaura said:

If I found the kite is this situation, I would make all attempts to get it, and keep it - or give it to someone that wanted it more than I did. But that's very different from taking it from the stadium - especially in the situations where it was taken mid-flight (Adelaide?)

I personally think selling things on ebay (or whatever) that are not rightfully yours (and yes, I'm getting self-righteous) is just ... wrong. It's profit for profit's sake - and I guess that means I'm not a capitalist. :shrug:

Canadiens1160 said:
Seeing the pictures of the kite - it's just a fucking kite people. Somehow I doubt Willie Williams or Jesus is crying over its loss.

Indeed. Nor are we. But having been in the crowd and seen Bono's reactions - the gesture was well and truly ruined.

You know it actually isnt hard to find that kite for anyone who wants the same one.. I reconized it the minute i seen the 1st pic because it was at a store in Florida i bought one of my kites.. which my nephew lost to a 60ft tree last summer in a wind storm.. so ive been waiting to find a new kite and i am gonna get a copy of bono's since I see they bought it from the same store..WAY COOL!

Back off, Peter!

Feel free to continue on about the Kite auction...but I'll simply drop in to say that Willie Williams needs to shut up when it comes to talking about the fans. He's turned pretty sour over the years towards the fans, most likely because he realizes he is secure in his position within the U2 family. He was even the person who began posting the stupid Rules paper at the Mix Board, namely telling fans that they could NOT receive a setlist (which most of you may realize is just a xeroxed copy on a 1c piece of paper) from the board. It was a polite mechanism by which to tell the fans that we were not worthy of their/his time.

Trust me when I say this feeling is not borne out of some jealousy of his position. I just watch things rather closely, people-watching mostly. And considering that you and I are all paying Willie's salary...well, he simply needs to refrain from ever talking bad about the occasional overzealous fan. He can talk of his disappointment that HE ALONE (considering that it was his responsibility) failed to figure out a clever way to make a kite fly high, but he is crossing the line when he labels one of us.

If I found the Kite? No sale. It's on the wall for some time, as the meaning of the song is too strong for me do anything otherwise - as Bono went through during Elevation Tour, losing my own father to cancer last year has given new sentiment to particular songs for me, most notably "Sometimes", a song I still can't get through without crying; "Kite" is one of those songs. I'd also happily wave the kite in Willie's face, if given the chance - that would be a funny sight!

Back
Top Bottom