Good Cameras For Shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe8pizza

The Fly
Im basically tired of Crappy cameras ruining potentially awesome shots. Is there any cameras that you guys recomend that take great photos, have a good zoom, and would work well for concerts?Obviously I wouldnt want something too large that would be hard to take in to restricted places.I would also want to use this for personal use too other than just concerts. Like I was looking at some of the shots some of you guys submited on here and theyre stunning!

Digital is the only way to go. Especially ones with a fast speed and where you can shut the flash on and off. Some can even be doctored up on the computer or where there is a one hour photo and you can edit the pictures yourself. Plus with digital you have the advantage of being able to see what you are doing and don't have to worry about wasting film because you can just use a reusable memory card. I've tried the film cameras and they are just too risky. I have a canon powershot A80 with a flip screen you can angle and works great. It's a couple years old now and that model isn't made anymore but Canon still makes one with that type of screen.

You want to get one where you can control the ISO and aperture speed. Then do a google search for what settings work best for concert photography. Inexpensive digital cameras are really no better than the disposables in terms of being used in demanding situations. Both take nice pictures in a well lit, static environment, but with low/varied lighting and fast movement, you really need to do custom settings to make the camera do what you want it to. That's not to say you can't use an inexpensive digital, I plan on using a Coolpix 2100 in Pittsburgh and while it's mainly a 'point and shoot', I have been practicing with what settings it DOES have and can get a pretty good shot.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:
You want to get one where you can control the ISO and aperture speed. Then do a google search for what settings work best for concert photography. Inexpensive digital cameras are really no better than the disposables in terms of being used in demanding situations. Both take nice pictures in a well lit, static environment, but with low/varied lighting and fast movement, you really need to do custom settings to make the camera do what you want it to. That's not to say you can't use an inexpensive digital, I plan on using a Coolpix 2100 in Pittsburgh and while it's mainly a 'point and shoot', I have been practicing with what settings it DOES have and can get a pretty good shot.

Can you elaborate on what settings you would use on this camera? I'm kinda curious what I should be doing.

That tutorial seems to be for film cameras. I'm looking for suggestions for a digital camera.

I like my sony cybershot. My pics turned out awesome from front of GA and it has a zoom. Movie clips turned out great. Mine was a 5.1 megapixel but now they have a 7.1 megapixel for under $400. Check out the sony website. It should be the DSCP- series I believe.

I've got a Canon Powershot A95 and I love it. It takes video also. It's very straightforward and easy to use. I did invest in a 1GB flash card and battery charger for it though. Digitals really suck through batteries FAST. Everyone who has seen my pics or uses my camera loves it.

Be sure you get a good camera with a good optical zoom, my camera didn't have one, and I regret it. Be sure to pick up some rechargeable AA batteries, most Canon cameras accept them.

Back
Top Bottom