Going to a show alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
clerks said:
Random question of the day. I've never gone to a concert alone.

It took my 25 years to finally see a movie by myself in the theater. It wasn't bad.

How is it going to a concert alone?

I guess when the lights go down and the music starts up, you can't really talk much anyway.

What's your experience(s) like at U2 shows and other shows when you went Rambo style.

I had every intention of going alone to the April 9th show in San Jose. But thanks to Reggie Thee Dog, I had a great time. During the show, I guess it really doesn't matter, since you will be too much into the music to chat with anyone. I had a blast hanging out with new found friends here on Interference.com. We had drinks at a nice bar in the hotel the boys stayed in, then after the show we hung out as well. I suggest that if you want to go with some other solo flyers, then go to the "Fan Gatherings" forum and hook up with some fans in your area. That's what I did, and I made some new friends as a result.

If you want a real character building solo experience, then try traveling to a foriegn country by yourself. I would recommend that highly. I did Glasgow Scotland, by myself and had a BLAST!

Solo is not bad. It can be very liberating.

I also always go to concerts alone. I actually prefer that since most people don't like to experience the shows the same way I do. Going alone means you don't have to listen to anyone else's whining. I would really hate having to listen to some whiney perso at a show I want to pay attention to. Much better to go alone unless you really know the person going with you has similar tastes in concert watching.

I've gone to a handful of concerts alone because family/friends don't like the band or whatever. It's not bad at all, I've had fun at all of them. The only boring part I think is the drive to and from the show.

Look at this way. Most people listen to U2 alone in the room, car, garage, in the shower, whatever works for you. At the very moment if someone was to ask if you'd rather here it live and in concert, you would jump at chance. At least I would.So going to a concert alone is a lot of fun also.:rockon:

I've only been to one concert alone but it was great. I look at it this way - I would rather go to a concert alone than listen to someone whine about it being too loud, not having a good time, not liking the show, not liking the music, etc., especially if I was the one that bought the tickets!

Think how personal, private, and passionate your love for the music is as you go solo on a public pilgrimage to pray at your musical mecca.

Going alone makes sense when your love for U2 is not matched or shared by any of your closest people (my wife thinks I'm a little crazy, acting like a teenager again).

Before and after my recent show alone, I met so many sweet and beautiful people it was amazing, even danced for 2 hours *after the show* to a U2 tribute band.

And a single seat can be a huge blessing: I ended up not liking the section I found myself in, and instead of stressing about it, I moved to an empty seat in a much better spot for a spectacular experience.

And when you go alone, realize how many other U2 devotees are there at the same show, doing the same as you.

freedom has a scent,
Anu

I pretty much go to concerts by myself on a regular basis. The first time, I felt a little uneasy but when I realized I made the rules of what time to leave, head home, whether or not I need to stop for food, etc. I realized....THIS ROCKS!!! :rockon: You meet lots of people and you ALLL have the same common interest...the band you came to see. I sometimes now dread going w/other people because of "organizing" what time to leave, etc. Unless your friends are as gung-ho as you are (mine aren't)...no worries.:D

I went to Baltimore and Miami during the Elevation Tour alone. And as everyone has said, U2 fans are pretty friendly. Some are very nice, it's unbelievable.

I don't have really close friends who are as crazy as we are about U2, but my cousin is game for going GA and so is my sister, so I'm going to be with them in one of the DC and Chicago shows this year. For the other shows, I'm going solo...including Dublin! Should be a great experience, nonetheless. :)

I'm going solo to two shows, and with a friend to a third. I think I'll have a better time with my friend, because she's a big fan as well, and I like having someone to share my extreme giddiness with.

This will be my first time going to a concert alone! I hope I get to meet some great fans. (one show is a nosebleed seat, but the other will be GA, so I have higher hopes for that one.)

My wife goes with me enough of the time but I do like going alone. To me the pros outweigh the cons: You can turn up the radio or CD player in your car a little louder, you can meet total strangers in the parking lot (or in the arena), you can wander around. Best of all, you don't have to worry about having one of "those" friends with you. You know the kind: the one that has to tug on your shirt and tell you something in the middle of every song.

the one that has to tug on your shirt and tell you something in the middle of every song.

I'm one of those people, but my interruption is usually along the lines of: OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

:wink:

i'm already making plans to go to the oakland shows alone. i'll be the one hanging around the box office all day trying to get a ticket.

mads said:
i'm already making plans to go to the oakland shows alone. i'll be the one hanging around the box office all day trying to get a ticket.

LOL...poor baby....there is a tailgate party being planned in the Fan Gatherings forum, you are welcome to join us! ;)

good luck in the ticket quest!

hey thanks, i may be there. unless i decide to go to classes instead, but who am i kidding :wink:

I'm one of those people that can't really do anything alone, i always have to have company. But I think the one thing that is the exception is going to a u2 concert.

The last u2 show I went to was with a guy I know but he's not really a friend, I kind of blocked him out the whole show because he was annoying me, so I figure going alone will be great. Going to 6 shows, and 4 will be alone.

thanks guys and gals. I guess I won't feel like a loser going alone. I think that's my main fear. Even though the only people who will notice I'm alone will be the ten or so people around me, it's that social thing that makes me second guess myself.

Oh F it. I'm going alone. (Unless I can snag 2 tickets at face value).

corianderstem said:

I'm one of those people, but my interruption is usually along the lines of: OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

:wink:

That's a little different. I used to go to shows with a buddy of mine and he'd tug on the shirt just to tell me what his plans were for the next day. :madspit:

clerks said:
thanks guys and gals. I guess I won't feel like a loser going alone. I think that's my main fear. Even though the only people who will notice I'm alone will be the ten or so people around me, it's that social thing that makes me second guess myself.

I know the feeling. Im going alone to one of my concerts this year and honestly im feeling a bit confused about it. I had to think A LOT to make this decision :huh: But i know for sure that i won't regret it :wink:

Can't wait untill July! :hyper:

I know the first show I'll be alone at is the Philadelphia shows. I'll most likely be going to most of the showsI go to alone. In a way I like it more. Even though I have friends who really enjoy U2 a lot, and will be going. Its different. I like getting a GA ticket, hanging around all day. feeding off the energy from perfect strangers who are all about the same thing. I have made some great friends from meeting U2 fans throughout the years. Its a really cool thing. I'll be bringing CD's of a bunch of the shows to give away to everyone I think. To me going alone lets you be in control of every situation. You decide when to go to the venue, and when to leave. Nothing to hear about you know? And to me its such an experience seeing U2 I need it to have all the elements I can! Well I guess I will be seeing and meeting you in the lines.

Cheers

Bri

i'm technicaly going alone to a couple of shows... but technicaly people i know will also be there, just in different seats.

i went to the brooklyn bridge show alone... but, just like last time, ran into so many people that i knew, i ended up leaving with a group of like 10 fellow u2 nut jobs... proceeded to get shit faced and go up to times square for the album release and cause a near riot outside virgin megastore. :up: good times.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm technicaly going alone to a couple of shows... but technicaly people i know will also be there, just in different seats.

i went to the brooklyn bridge show alone... but, just like last time, ran into so many people that i knew, i ended up leaving with a group of like 10 fellow u2 nut jobs... proceeded to get shit faced and go up to times square for the album release and cause a near riot outside virgin megastore. :up: good times.

haha, good times indeed! :up:

Before this tour, it was my policy NOT to attend U2 concerts with other people - I wouldn't want to be around people who wouldn't appreciate the show as much as me. In fact, during Popmart, I wrote Propaganda and asked that the two tickets be in separate spots - one for my boyfriend, one for me!! haha!

Anyhow, I've met so many fellow U2 fanatics in the past couple years, that I do now attend shows with others.
I'm still going to a couple on my own (Boston May 24th, with a GA) but people are so friendly that it's no problem striking up a conversation the day of the concert and finding people to share it with.

Last edited:
That has been my policy as well.....I don't want to take people who will not appreciate it. (That's why the boyfriend is NEVER welcome to come along!) :lol:
I've taken people w/me but I don't know if they really "got it". I was hoping to convert my friends to the U2 "lifestyle".
Hopefully....I'll get to meet some Interference peeps in Chicago! It's gonna be a good time!!

I went to the opener "by myself" but met so many people from interference and elsewhere that i felt like I was with friends the whole time...and now I see those same people at other shows. it's a great community. i think it is so much better to go to a show by yourself than to bring a friend who's "kinda" into U2. Don't worry, you'll meet tons of people if you are in the GA.

I was going with a friend to the NJ show in a few weeks but now am going alone and am a bit disappointed about it actually because I always to go to concerts alone and did 2 Elevation shows alone and was looking forward to something different.

But yeah, it'll still be awesome :up:

Back
Top Bottom