Going Away/Goodbye tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
When U2 does in fact decide to pack it in and retire (hopefully not soon) should there be some sort of "going away" or "goodbye" tour?
If not I can just imagine the ciaos that will occur to get the tickets to there very last show, of whatever tour they would be on at the time.

I don't think they'll ever do that. Although I wish they wouldn't, I dont think U2 will stop touring as long as all four members are living. They'll probably take longer breaks between tours eventually, but "live is where they live," so they won't stop.
Personally, I think they should call it quits in like ten years. I hope they prove me wrong, but it's tough to be a culturally relevant rock band when all members are in their fifties

I believe they've done a 'going away' (with the dream it all up again thingo) show...and that was the last show of the Lovetown tour.

They'll stop at some point, but i can't see when thats going to happen, yet.

If it is a farewell tour like the Who or Kiss have been doing, it could last 20 years.:wink:

trevster2k said:
If it is a farewell tour like the Who or Kiss have been doing, it could last 20 years.:wink:

The first leg of the Kiss farewell tour started in 1812, i kid you not

Bono has said he wants to see what it is like to be a relevant rock star at 60 so you have to figure they'll tour for at least 15 more years.

Of course we all can see what happens when you're no longer a relevant rock star at 60 and you keep touring. So if by chance they have exhausted themselves creatively before 2020, I hope they'll have the good sense to pack it in rather than join the PBS fundraising special crowd...

Ehm - Adam IS almost fifty. :giggle:

But as we all know, Larry isn't older than thirty five, and will stay that way and creep out his children when they're teenagers.

Everybody is always so willing to bury their rock bands before they are dead. The members of U2 are 46, 46, 45 and 44. That is NOT old at all. As long as they don't get lazy and lose their craft, they have plenty of potential left in them.

Say what you want about Aerosmith. I'm a casual fan of them, and my friend offered me a free ticket, and I took it. I saw them tonight, and I tell you what, it was a great show. They are all in their late 50s, and they sounded just as good as they ever have, and were all over the place. Relevant or not, it was a good concert and they packed the place full. I think U2 can stay relevant and still put on great shows well into their 50s and 60s. The only thing to worry about is Bono's voice giving out.

i don't want 'em to ever announce that it's the "fairwell" tour... 'cause then if they decide to go out again it would become very cheesy... i.e. the eagles, kiss, barbara streisand...

juet tour as usuall... and every time ya see 'em for the last time on that particular tour just take it all in, with the consideration that it may be the last time you'll ever see them... makes it all the more rewarding.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't want 'em to ever announce that it's the "fairwell" tour... 'cause then if they decide to go out again it would become very cheesy... i.e. the eagles, kiss, barbara streisand...

:yes: Second-run goodbye tours are stupid. Can't Cher just go away???

juet tour as usuall... and every time ya see 'em for the last time on that particular tour just take it all in, with the consideration that it may be the last time you'll ever see them... makes it all the more rewarding.

Yup. It'll make each tour special, and you won't spend half the show thinking, "This is the last time I'll hear them play Streets!" "This is the last time they'll play Pride and it sucked--I wish it were better!" and all that.

Last edited:
Hey for us here in Australia it WILL be the last time we see them, cos if they decide to deign us with their presence every 9 years or so, it is very likely they will not tour.

Of course, they will do 17 other tours of Europe and the US before they "officially" retire. :mad:

DPrinceNY said:
When U2 does in fact decide to pack it in and retire (hopefully not soon) should there be some sort of "going away" or "goodbye" tour?
If not I can just imagine the ciaos that will occur to get the tickets to there very last show, of whatever tour they would be on at the time.

Definitely.

I don't think U2 will go on and on like some bands. I don't see them just playing this tour incognito and say nothing or after the last show go "Oops. Forgot to tell you. We're not playing live anymore."

That said, I'm hoping it will be a long tour that will visit US, Europe, Aus/NZ/Japan, S. America, and some Asia. Think Popmart-type schedule with some Hong Kong, Taiwan, India ... thrown in.

......... tour as usuall... and every time ya see 'em for the last time on that particular tour just take it all in, with the consideration that it may be the last time you'll ever see them... makes it all the more rewarding.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Well said.... I couldn't agree more

Back
Top Bottom