GA Line - Save spot for pregnant sister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noopie

The Fly
So yeah, my sister is going to be around 8 months pregnant when the band rolls around to Toronto in September, and she really wants to go to the Friday night show. Myself and 2 friends would probably be camping out, and my sister would probably be able to get there around noon hour. Do you think people would get angry if we "saved" her a spot?

Personally, if I were in the other position it wouldn't bother me too much...but I'm also trying to justify it in my head. Can I get some other opinions?

Charlilaur86 said:
Wouldn't bother me.

I've never been in a U2 GA line but my general experience with other GA lines, and what I've heard, is that people don't really mind if you save a spot for one or two people. Just not like, fifty. Ya know?

Plus, I mean...She's pregnant. If anyone gets pissed about that then they're just a jerk and you should ignore them.

On one hand, people generally don't mind... on the other hand, if you're number 100, and everyone in front of you saves spots for 2 friends, all of the sudden you're number 300.... If she gets there at noon, there probably won't be a problem... If she gets there at 5, you may have some people with some questions....

I agree Drummerboy, if she were to wait until later in the afternoon to arrive I'm sure people would be a little more frustrated than if she were to arrive at noon hour and still wait it out for most of the day. I imagine by about noon hour there will be at least a few hundred people in line, I'm thinking if I mention it early to the majority of the people close by they won't be upset.

I do realize there is a lottery, but if we aren't lucky enough to get "beeped", we still want to be right at the tip of the ellipse.

Thanks for your opinions folks, any more are always appreciated.

I don't mind if you save her a spot...as long as you are not lined up in front of me!

Besides...I don't know how willing I would be to endanger an unborn baby by being near the front of GA. People push and shove - and its hard to control the crowd surge.

Well... In Europe you would probably not get away with this... Just because that one spot would most likely cost another person who did sit there for hours and hours with the rest of us in line (it's always one big GA family in line) his entry to the egg...

I would suggest this; At the moment you and your friend join the line, make sure to tell a few people around you that your girlfriend comes later and is pregnant... This way other people in the line back you up... It would seem a little weird when someone just shows up in the afternoon and simply skips in...

But as said... Isn't a seat better in her condition? I think a trade is easely made...

Last edited:
At 8 months pregnant your sister should come in before the show starts and hnag out at the back of the floor....

I love U2 but my 7 week old at home is the most precious thin gin thte world and I wouldnt have an 8 month pregnant woman dealing with pushing and crowds over a concert. I think GA at all is astretch for 8 months pregnant, but the fornt is jsut crazy...

But hey thats just my 2 cents....maybe its not my place to comment--sorry if I offended....

It sounds like the safest place to be is the back inside of the ellipse or the very back of the floor. I'm guessing the very front is WAY to ou of control and it sounds like there's a lot of pushing and shoving going on around the immediate outside of the ellipse.

Well, assuming we can't change your mind about re-thinking getting a reserved seat (I've never been pregnant so I don't know the effects that a concert atmosphere can have on an unborn that late in the game), I second Neilz - make sure you tell the people behind you (like, a good 10-20 people) the story and I'd hope they'll understand!

Wow, 8 months pregnant and planning GA?! Good luck with that! Will she be able to stand once inside for 3-4 hours+??? And i'd have thought the only place she's be "safe" is near the back with no danger of being bumped. I admire her determination to see them, but at 8 months I'd have thought she might even struggle to put up with a seat!

Seriously, maybe a trade for a seated ticket is the best plan, but if she's determined, then I'm sure the people around you won't mind if you save her a spot.

i imagine that by the time november rolls around, your sister is not going to want to stand for 3 plus hours. maybe seated is a better option for her?

Props to your sister for wanting to go to U2, and at 8 months pregnant. Just wanted to let you know that we had GA's for opening night, and there was a pregnant woman, 5 months pregnant and she got overheated and left during the third song. Granted I believe she had been in line all day, and we were on the outside of the ellipse. Your sister has the time of year going for her-Just make sure she has plenty of water, and tell the people around you, although they will be able to tell, that is is pregnant, once inside-Hope you all have a great time.

Crowds...

Wow,

I can't imagine being at the tip of the heart while eight months pregnant.

I have a newborn baby at home now and those last two months of pregnancy were tough enough without having to stand for hours on end...being crushed by people pushing forward in the crowd.

I was at the tip of the heart four times during the Elevation tour and I had bruises on my chest for a couple of weeks after each show from people pushing forward with no regard to anyone's safety. During one show, I was next to one guy that passed out and had to be lifted out. I'm talking a full-grown guy here. That's how tight it got up there. Especially when Bono came around the bend. For the most part people were generous and polite, but when he came around the tip area, everyone went nuts.

Honestly, I don't think it would be safe to be in that area that far along in her pregnancy. But I haven't been to a show during this tour, so it might be different now.

Take care!

your sister should get a medical opinion on this one...the last thing that she probably wants is to start gyrating to the opening song and have her water break in the midst of a tight (and slightly crazed) crowd.

innominata8 said:
your sister should get a medical opinion on this one...the last thing that she probably wants is to start gyrating to the opening song and have her water break in the midst of a tight (and slightly crazed) crowd.
When this happens you will get Bono's attention though :wink:

Thanks so much everyone for all of the replies.

I was wondering if it would turn into a concern for safety as opposed to the concern of butting in line.

I had actually purchased the ticket as a surprise for her when they went on sale, and then last Sunday she had her 18 month old reveal to us (through a note) that she was going to be a big sister....so I was like "UGH"! Once I did the calculation I knew it was going to cause problems.

Personally I was GA front row for 3 shows on the last tour and there was definitely some pushing, but I wouldn't think there is a concern for safety at a U2 show. It certainly doesn't compare to Metallica, Tool or even Tragically Hip mosh type pits. I would be surprised if I ever witnessed or heard of anybody falling or getting hurt at a U2 concert. However, just because I'm not the type to go nuts and push those around me, doesn't mean those around me aren't.

I imagine my sister *would* be fine, she's a health fanatic (she actually ran a 46 km race when 3 months pregnant with her first child), so she's in great shape...However if I can arrange it, it might be best if we could get seats instead. For this particular situation the ellipse random policy kinda sucks, it would rock if she had the freedom of being inside the ellipse.

Therefore, I will throw the request in here first....if anybody would like to trade some good seats for the SATURDAY show (even though I originally mentioned Fri) for 2 GA tickets for Saturday, please let me know. I will also be posting this in the "What do you want", "What do you Have", and that rockin U2 ticket trade database.

Good for her wanting to go I hope you all enjoy the concert!

I'm off to 9 shows(all the UK concerts and Madrid) and I'll be doing the same thing!!:wink:

I literally thought I was going to die in Toronto last time, and I was front row right at the tip. The pushing was so bad that the barrier literally felt like it was dissecting my kidneys in half anytime Bono approached.

I'm really not sure how comfortable she'll be. It's a looooong time to stand on your feet - remember the line security will force you to put away ALL chairs and line up TIGHT around 5 PM, and then she'll be standing for the next 6 hours. That is a challenge for people whose ankles aren't swollen to thrice their size.

As for lining up? In theory people shouldn't care. But I can tell you that there will be some annoyance because you won't be the only one doing it and then it becomes a question of why somebody was #10 but is now #31 in line.

One pregnant woman doesn't bother me personally.

When the sale for the Pop Tour came around, I would be around 6 months with my second child when they were to be in concert. I opted to not even bother getting tickets.

Based on my previous pregnancy, I knew there was no way in hell I could go to the concert - because my bladder could not last.

In the 8th month of pregnancy, it only gets worse. Just keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom