GA/Ellipse Wristbands - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:drunk:

By the way, be prepared for my panicked phone call at 10:00 am on Friday ok? :hyper:

Super_Fan said:
It is Alison's job to catch the GA system cheaters which should be in her job description. Not to have a glass of wine in one hand and yell in the mic with the other hand. :lol:
You have no idea what her employer expects from her...and who wouldn't need a glass of wine to deal with a bunch of whiney U2 fans.:wink:

I'm surprised Interferencers are willing to openly discuss in a U2 forum how to cheat the band's system. What good can come of it? This sort of thing was rampant on the previous tour, continues on this tour and is part of the reason we have this bullshit lottery.

I completely disagree. I've had the fortune of seeing U2 a couple times this tour (GA for both) and I've gotten into the Ellipse once, and "cheated" to get in the second time. In all honesty, I don't feel a shred of guilt. I know, for a fact, that at the ACC (Toronto), they hold a fair amount of wristbands aside for VIPs. So the fact is, I'm not stealing any fans space in the Ellipse. I wouldn't do it if I was. However, if there are an extra 50 spots being held for these supposed "VIP"s, then frankly I don't give a shit.

I'm not trying to rehash the First Come VS. Lottery debate (even though I feel ver strongly about the former), but my point is that if you have the opportunity to get into the Ellipse, I say go for it. There is tons of room, and frankly, if I take away a VIPs wristband who doesn't care about U2 in the first place, my conscience will still be clean.

... and I don't think "cheating" to get into the Ellipse has any sort of parallel to cheating in school (as was mentioned earlier).

So Mods, please don't close this topic, I think this issue shoudl be addressed anyways.

Mike

mcranston said:

I completely disagree. I've had the fortune of seeing U2 a couple times this tour (GA for both) and I've gotten into the Ellipse once, and "cheated" to get in the second time. In all honesty, I don't feel a shred of guilt. I know, for a fact, that at the ACC (Toronto), they hold a fair amount of wristbands aside for VIPs. So the fact is, I'm not stealing any fans space in the Ellipse. I wouldn't do it if I was. However, if there are an extra 50 spots being held for these supposed "VIP"s, then frankly I don't give a shit.

I'm not trying to rehash the First Come VS. Lottery debate (even though I feel ver strongly about the former), but my point is that if you have the opportunity to get into the Ellipse, I say go for it. There is tons of room, and frankly, if I take away a VIPs wristband who doesn't care about U2 in the first place, my conscience will still be clean.

... and I don't think "cheating" to get into the Ellipse has any sort of parallel to cheating in school (as was mentioned earlier).

So Mods, please don't close this topic, I think this issue shoudl be addressed anyways.

Mike

i guess the point here was that people with non-GA tickets trying to get on the floor with forged wristbands should be thrown out.

they are not only taking away a spot in the ellipse but also a spot on the floor.

they sell tickets for a reason.

Last edited:
i guess the point here was that people with non-GA tickets trying to get on the floor with forged wristbands should be thrown out.

Sure, I agree in that case. But I was referring to those who actually have GA tickets in my initial post.

Mike

I think the amount of people who "cheat" the system ("cheaters" to me being people who get in w/o a GA ticket or w/o a real ellipse wristband) is marginal. Personally, I've not heard of anyone who's done this. Maybe you consider me a cheater b/c in Detroit I didn't get scanned in, politely asked someone w/ wristbands for two, and my friend and I were in. But if you think I cheated other fans out of their spots, I'd like to know why b/c when we got in the ellipse, it was never more than 2/3 full at most. We got in about 5 minutes before U2 came on and easily found room on the railing. I was screaming and singing along and moving the entire show while the people on my left stood there hugging each other and the people on my right never showed any more emotion than an occasional head bop. There was about 5 feet of empty space in front of us and the next people after that was a group of drunk women who spent the entirety of Miss Sarajevo w/ their backs to the stage taking group photos. So if I took another fans place, I'm sorry, but I spent the entire show trying to get these other "fans" excited and no one seemed to care that they were 1) at a U2 show and 2) in the ellipse.

Last edited:
LivLuv, your situation is *completely* different. Clear Channel staff give out wristbands at the back of the floor for almost every show--I've received them that way, and they give them away to fill the rest of the ellipse. They have changed the scanning system so that people get into the ellipse earlier, because it was half empty when the band came out--but they still have leftover wristbands and I think it's great that they hand them out to fans who did not scan in. I hope no one is suggesting this is cheating.

u2wedge said:

they are not only taking away a spot in the ellipse but also a spot on the floor.

they sell tickets for a reason.

But extending the "they sell tickets for a reason" logic out a bit more. Isn't anyone that buys tickets on ebay or above face operating outside the "system" that U2 has implemented and promoting a practice that takes away tickets from actual fans? I guess this whole thing comes down to at what point do you deviate from the "win at all costs" mentality that many people have when it comes to U2 tickets. I really think is a personal value thing more than a one-size-fits-all ruling.

My personal feeling is, do what you can to get tickets, GA's and into the ellipse via Ticketmaster. If that fails, then try whatever you are willing to do to get where you want. Some people will be amazed with the places you can go, people you can meet and things you can do if you just say the right things to the right people. :wink:

:hyper: *prepares to be attacked* :hyper:

My personal feeling is, do what you can to get tickets, GA's and into the ellipse via Ticketmaster. If that fails, then try whatever you are willing to do to get where you want. Some people will be amazed with the places you can go, people you can meet and things you can do if you just say the right things to the right people

Frankly I agree. I think if you're not hurting anyone, get in the Ellipse ... and to be honest, I don't even really care if people sneak onto the floor. There's tons of room anyways. (I'm applying this "if youre not hurting anyone" mentality ONLY to these U2 shows).

I got into the Ellipse through a clever trick even though I wasn't scanned in. And as I said, I really don't think I did anything wrong. The more real U2 fans in the Ellipse, the better. (I'll never forget my horror in Toronto 3 when COBL opened, and a good 20 people around me looked like they were falling asleep).

I HATE the lottery system.

Savy fans, not dumbasses know how to beat the system. I have been to 12 shows so far on this tour, possessed a GA ticket for all and was NEVER once scanned to go in the ellipse. 11 of the 12 shows I have made it in. The one I didn't go in.. really wanted to experience it from the edge of the stage. The U2 people at the door clearly make up their own rules in letting people in. Is anyone going to talk about how they made it in... no .. because they want to keep doing it until the tour is over. The first leg bands are totally different and will be of no help.

I don't feel I cheated at all. I stood where I wanted - in the ellipse and quit frankly it is the best place to be. Once you are in there, its hard to be on the outside.

I have 5 more shows and better scan at one of them!

mcranston said:
I got into the Ellipse through a clever trick even though I wasn't scanned in.

Was it like this...even though my friend and I didn't win the lottery (though we had GAs), some people we met in the GA line convinced some people who did get inside the elipse to cut off their bracelets once in. The cut bracelets were brought out to the floor where in some bathroom stalls (these guys brought tape) we taped the braclets around our wrists one by one. It looked seamless. 'Couriers' kept bringing the same cut bracelets outside the elipse. I think 12 or 13 people got in that way over the course of about 45 minutes.

eherncane said:
I HATE the lottery system.

Savy fans, not dumbasses know how to beat the system. I have been to 12 shows so far on this tour, possessed a GA ticket for all and was NEVER once scanned to go in the ellipse. 11 of the 12 shows I have made it in. The one I didn't go in.. really wanted to experience it from the edge of the stage. The U2 people at the door clearly make up their own rules in letting people in. Is anyone going to talk about how they made it in... no .. because they want to keep doing it until the tour is over. The first leg bands are totally different and will be of no help.

I don't feel I cheated at all. I stood where I wanted - in the ellipse and quit frankly it is the best place to be. Once you are in there, its hard to be on the outside.

I have 5 more shows and better scan at one of them!

why do you need to scan at one of them? seems like you've got the system beat.

... Well, this is going to my first U2 show ever, and I just hope one of my GA tickets beep. All of this cheating stuff is pretty intimidating and kind of disheartening to a newbie person who just wants an honest chance to get into the ellipse. :(

Last edited:
Everyone has the honest chance at the door when you come in. And they have a certian amount of wristbands for each show. I want to scan because it is so much easier to get in that way. If they did it by first in line, I'd be in the line each time. They created this system, it stinks, its not fair. Total idiots can get in .. we have all seen the postings on that. So if fans need to work the system a little bit, so be it.

well... they certainly do save ellipse wrist bands for "VIPs" and/or "people who know people." this i know as fact and has been pretty well documented by most of those who've been on the floor and inside the ellipse.

and they also have some extra wrist bands that u2's staff give out on the floor... they're from the same pool of "VIP's/people who know people" wrist bands. any that aren't used are dispersed on the floor as it gets closer and closer to show time... usually back by the soundboard... for obvious reasons... there's less people back there and it's easier to hand out a dozen or so wrist bands without having a massive mob attack you for one.

but i'm a little suspect of the "i tricked the system" posts... the cutting off the wrist band in the bathroom stall and giving it to someone else sounds half way believable. i wouldn't risk the chance of being thrown out of the building for trying it though... and u2 does have staff inside the ellipse... so cutting wrist bands and handing them to someone else might not be the best idea as one of them may spot you.

other than that half way believable story... i really can't think of any other ways to "trick the system," unless you happen to be friends with the arena security guard who's at the entrance to the ellipse... who of course changes from night to night, and obviously, city to city. i've been on the floor in philly, jersey and MSG... and i see no way in hell that one could "sneak in" to the ellipse at either of those three venues. so either security is incredibly lax at other places, or some people are simply fibbing to make themselves sound cool.

Alright, am I happy that people "cheat the system"? No. Am I happy this is being discussed? No. Is this thread in violation of the rules? NO

As moderators we can NEVER make everyone happy. If we close usavory topics too quickly we're fascists... If we let things go since they're not in violation of posting rules, we get thrown 1000 dancing locks.

So either someone do something that merits getting this thread being locked or stop looking in here... Stopping the reports and PMs would be nice too...

I doubt that anything that has been discussed here is news to PM or U2 anyway... :shrug:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and u2 does have staff inside the ellipse... so cutting wrist bands and handing them to someone else might not be the best idea as one of them may spot you.

i witnessed firsthand U2 security (the men in black) checking for ellipse wristbands in the MIDDLE of the shows at MSG (they would walk up to fans, tap them on the shoulder, ask to see their wristbands, and then shine a blacklight on them).

:lock:

Miroslava said:

if people think that a thread is inappropriate and crosses a line, they have every right to express that opinion by posting a 'dancing lock'. you, and the rest of the mods, don't have to do anything about it (obviously). and if the little dancing figure annoys you so much, then maybe as a mod you should get rid of it...

:shrug:

I mean damned if we leave it open, damned if we don't. The number of complaints will be the same, just from different camps :sigh:

And the scream was not a reflection of who posted it, just the irony of it appearing 30 seconds after I posted lamenting the damned things :lol:

I just think that any type of thread that encourages and/or explains how to violate rules that can affect the greater fan community should be closely watched and 'moderated'.

I guess it's pretty ironic that a thread discussing how to break the rules at a U2 show does not break any rules in the forum discussing those U2 shows... isn't there any moral standard here?

All I have to say is that for someone to buy a nosebleed seat just to bypass waiting in line all day and taking up space on the GA floor is just the lowest thing I have ever heard of. These people call themselves U2 fans... many of them are just attention whores who are not there in the spirit that exemplifies true 'fandom'. Once you start taking away from other fans in the venue, you lose all credibility and don't deserve to be in the venue, IMHO.

These are the same people who, and would somehow find justification in cutting into a non-lottery GA line on some irrational basis. Their need to be close to the band eclipses all moral judgment at the expense of everyone but themselves.

There's a whole lot of bad karma in this thread and may it come back tenfold to those who skew the system for self-gain.

Where's that funky bad karma smiley when you need it!?
:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom