GA Advice - now that they're using the catwalk...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2girlcj

War Child
I'm prepping for Seattle on Sunday and would love feedback from some Phoenix and Denver GA holders... since they started using the catwalk more in the last show, what are your impressions (especially to see if they continue to do so in Denver)?

If the front row is filled, what is the next best spot? Is it better to be in or out, one side or other. The catwalk looks pretty high to me, so I'm also wondering how much a shortish person (5'6" in heels) can see if right up against it...

so many questions, so little time, any advice is so appreciated!! :wink:

I'm also 5'6, and you'll be fine. It's not that tall, and you won't be right against it. there is about a 5 foot space between the rail and the stage.

I've been on the rail at the outside of the ellipse for 2 shows (once in San Diego, once in Phoenix) and for another show I was a couple of rows from the rail. The advantage of the rail is that you won't feel any pushing from behind and you can rest your arms. Obviously, if you aren't first row then second row is optimal. The side of the stage you pick (if you can't be center, which is my preference) depends on whether you want EdgeLove or AdamLove :wink: I was slightly to the right last time and Adam stood right in front of us a few times--it was so awesome. Just to the right of dead center on the catwalk Bono and Larry play drums, and that is also a great spot.

Have a blast in Denver!

I was on the left side (Edge's side) in Phoenix. Right up against the railing about 3-4 people back - excellent view. I loved it because I had a back rest - the railing which seperates GA from the reserved seats - which comes in handy for the 2 hours or so you wait around before U2 hits the stage. Bono and Edge were on our side often during the show, even Adam makes a few trips around the catwalk. Very nice view. Also, there's a slight step next to the railing on the side - about an inch or so. Neverless, every inch helps see over people in front of you.

Good luck - I got in about 5 mins. after doors opened by the way.

paultjr said:
I was on the left side (Edge's side) in Phoenix. Right up against the railing about 3-4 people back - excellent view. I loved it because I had a back rest - the railing which seperates GA from the reserved seats - which comes in handy for the 2 hours or so you wait around before U2 hits the stage. Bono and Edge were on our side often during the show, even Adam makes a few trips around the catwalk. Very nice view. Also, there's a slight step next to the railing on the side - about an inch or so. Neverless, every inch helps see over people in front of you.

Good luck - I got in about 5 mins. after doors opened by the way.

Hey, Paul...were you in the GA line next to me at Phoenix 2? With your daughter? I'm the dark-haired woman who was just in front of you and sometimes behind you throughout the day...if that's you.

Last edited:
ruffian said:

Hey, Paul...were you in the GA line next to me at Phoenix 2? With your daughter? I'm the dark-haired woman who was just in front of you and sometimes behind you throughout the day...if that's you.

No, not me...I showed up Friday night right at 6:30 with my lil sister. I had to laugh at first reading that, cause I do have a daughter, but she's only 4....I think she'd have a tough time on the floor!

Hope you had a good time though (can't imagine someone not!)

speaking on this topic, where would be a better spot within the elipse? band end or the far end?

im asking this because it is my hope to be able to go to all 10 rumored australian shows, and im sure that ill get in at some stage with 10 oportunities :D

I'm guessing in Australia it will be first come, first served for getting into the Eclipse (if we have one).

For these rumoured 10 shows... was it 2 for Melbourne?

u2girlcj said:
Great tips you guys, thanks. 5 space from me to the catawalk?! How'm'I gonna get up on stage when Bono wants a dance!:wink:
:laugh: there are burly security guards who push you up there...

regarding the "best place in the ellipse question": I haven't been in there yet, but I've participated in lots of discussions about this. Obviously being right up against the center stage is a good spot, but if I couldn't be front row there I'd definitely move to the back of the ellipse. You'd be able to see the whole show, it's NOT crowded back there, and you could then turn around and face the catwalk when the band are out there.

OK, suppose you get there and arent selected to go into the bomb Shelter, what time should you get to the venue in order to be up against the rail on the outer part of the elipse. is 4 o clock too late. Anyone else have info on getting the closest spot possible?

On the Elevation tour, 3 times I would have made it into the heart but chose the outside instead. If you don't get the front row right up against the stage, I'd rather be outside (if you want to get close to Bono) This was a secret I didn't post last time, see, there are so few good spots available on the outside that I didn't want everyone to know and have everyone hog them. But since I don't have tickets anyway :sad: go for it. (still hoping to score Charlotte) Of course, everyone is different, some people prefer being inside.

ruffian said:

:laugh: there are burly security guards who push you up there...

regarding the "best place in the ellipse question": I haven't been in there yet, but I've participated in lots of discussions about this. Obviously being right up against the center stage is a good spot, but if I couldn't be front row there I'd definitely move to the back of the ellipse. You'd be able to see the whole show, it's NOT crowded back there, and you could then turn around and face the catwalk when the band are out there.

:up: for burly security guards!

Yah - that was my strategy in the heart at Vegas last time around, and it was GREAT - :dancing: you're right, you see them as they go by, plenty of room to shake ya' thang, and clear view of the stage. I just wondered if there was a better place this time around - to see Bono prowl or to get pulled up! :hmm:

It's all for naught, though, since any spot inside the arena is the spot to be when they're on stage!!

Last edited:
u2girlcj said:

I just wondered if there was a better place this time around - to see Bono prowl or to get pulled up! :hmm:

During Elevation, the majority of pull-ups came from the outside tip of the heart. A few got pulled to the stage, and Melpop, the girl who 'rolled', was pulled from the inside of the heart at a place where Bono usually has his back to the crowd (she was rubbing a rose against the back of his leg and he turned around :flirt: )

Personally, I found being inside the middle of the crowd inside the heart to be one of the worst places to see Bono. If you don't get right in front of the stage, the view isn't all that great (especially if you aren't tall, and I'm 5'7" and had problems)

Last edited:
jedwardm said:
The Ellipse is actually only about 3 feet high, so your height shouldn't be problem unless there are taller people in front of you:|

SIGH! So does that mean it's easier to look into Bono's eyes? (the heart must have been about five feet high)

mkdominatr said:
OK, suppose you get there and arent selected to go into the bomb Shelter, what time should you get to the venue in order to be up against the rail on the outer part of the elipse. is 4 o clock too late. Anyone else have info on getting the closest spot possible?

Of four shows I've been on the outside rail of the ellipse twice.
San Diego #2 got there at 6 a.m.
Phoenix #2 got there at 8 a.m. and got probably the last spot on the rail.
San Diego opener got there at 5:30 and was 2 rows back from the rail. Not far from the rail, but a world of difference.

I saw that someone posted that the ellipse is only 3 feet high--nooooo! It's more like 5.

I need some reassurance! I am only 5'4'' (barely), and I'm scared to death that a) if I get into the elipse I'll be corralled into the middle and enjoy a show of shoulders and collars or b) I'll be 2 or 3 deep outside the rail and will go through the same thing. What's a short gal to do??? :sigh: :confused:

Elessarian said:
I need some reassurance! I am only 5'4'' (barely), and I'm scared to death that a) if I get into the elipse I'll be corralled into the middle and enjoy a show of shoulders and collars or b) I'll be 2 or 3 deep outside the rail and will go through the same thing. What's a short gal to do??? :sigh: :confused:

Get the most comfortable pair of 4" heels you can find(if such a thing exists), or find someone to put you on their shoulders.

Elessarian said:

I'm only 5'4 as well and had heels on which boosted me to maybe 5'6 or 5'7. I don't recommend doing that--we stood so long that my feet were agony! Wear flat shoes, it didn't do me any good. :(

Anyway, I was about 2 people deep when the show started and ended up 5 people back by the end and I could still see very well. I was on the right hand side of the outside of the ellipse. I couldn't see the stage due to a short guy with a *giant* head in front of me, but I could see the catwalk and the screens just fine.

If you end up in the ellipse, judging from the view on the ground, I'd say the "back" would be a good spot to view the stage *and* the catwalk for us shorties. That's where I would have gone.

mkdominatr said:

Depends upon how close you want to be -- we arrived at 6 ish for Denver 2 and were only about 8 'rows' of people back --- with the whole band out on the catwalk / whatever, unless you are really desperate to get close, you can arrive pretty darn late and get a darn good view.

I'm very pleased taht we only spent 35 minutes in line and still had an awesome view -- my wife is 5'7 and she tolerates U2, but had a blast tonight and kept commenting on how fun it was to be so close.

Hope that helps.

Besides being able to see, another thing to consider is being pushed around. People will push and shove and crush you, some intentionally, most just whooping it up and being inconsiderate. Also people will try to take your position and move up. I would not take GA again if I didn't think I could get the rail to hang onto. You'll be okay if you can have that to help you stand your ground.

There is much less, hardly any, pushing inside the heart (guessing the ellipse is the same way, haven't been yet :sad: )

Standing on the very edge/outside of the ellipse. There's a big rail there you can hold on to that actually seperates you from the catwalk. (Mind the gap!)

People didn't push and shove at all at Denver 1, except to get their beer. It was a nice quiet group, I was impressed after the stories I had been hearing.

Back
Top Bottom