From ZooTV to Vertigo - A Setlist Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ruffian said:

:uhoh: we are actually agreeing again ?
no he is being sarcastic because thats what the people who do like it say

but if we were to do the same thing but about something they complain about its a whole different kettle of fish

i was at a concert with Chizip when they played Vertigo2 and he liked it quite a bit. Or he was faking it well.

My 2 pence worth and reflections on Eurigo tour (FYI I saw Twickenham 1, Chorzow and Barcelona)

1.Europe deserved more variation between setlists even though most cities were not multiple shows…Why?…..because people DO travel.
Even though the last show I saw was the best I have ever seen, I still cant help feeling how it would have ‘gone off’ if a cheeky Out of Control had been inserted (instead of ABOY for example). Surely 2 or 3 changes each night would not disrupt the flow of the show ? Surely the band would be ‘sharper’ if the unexpected is introduced. I’ve never been in a band or on a stage in front of thousands but I would imagine it could get a bit 9 to 5 if things don’t get ‘shaken up’ once in a while?

2. OOTS was a great addition with the full band, but……Why did they ‘rehearse’ it for one(two?) shows, play it for the DVD shoot in Milan, then not play it again ? This means that the ‘tour souvenir’ is not going to be representative of what the majority saw.

3. The stage was great, lighting superb…..shame most people didn’t get to see the full effect! The show at Twickenham was vastly inferior to the others I saw purely down to the daylight. I know Willie Williams can’t control the setting of the sun but would a stage roof not have helped? The only answer to this one is to try and encourage the local authorities to be more lenient with the curfews, which isn’t gonna happen. I just think it’s a shame the majority wouldn’t have seen how the show was supposed to look.

4. Vertigo x2…..Hmmm very mixed feelings on this as I can see both arguments. Lets just say the second Vertigo is necessary

5. What happened to the ‘Everyones’ ?

6. Why was the beautiful intro to NYD never used again after Brussels ?

In conclusion Spontaneity Vs showbiz. Personally I’d prefer the spontaneity, but showbiz DOES bring in the bucks

good post kevin.

but.... u2 have never eally mixed things up (lovetown notwithstanding). I agree that the place would go crazy, down the front at least, if a real rare gem or even something out of the ordinary was played, but by now u2 fans surely cant be expecting this to happen.

the light thing isn't that cut and dry imo. i saw cardiff and manchester and paris. it was dark in cardiff, almost dark in paris, but the thrill of seeing electric co in broad daylight, edge right in front of me, is a standout moment of the tour personally.

chrissybaby said:
good post kevin.

but.... u2 have never eally mixed things up (lovetown notwithstanding). I agree that the place would go crazy, down the front at least, if a real rare gem or even something out of the ordinary was played, but by now u2 fans surely cant be expecting this to happen.

the light thing isn't that cut and dry imo. i saw cardiff and manchester and paris. it was dark in cardiff, almost dark in paris, but the thrill of seeing electric co in broad daylight, edge right in front of me, is a standout moment of the tour personally.
and let me guess that was in manchester 1, where even cobl was pretty much in daylight

KUEFC09U2 said:
and let me guess that was in manchester 1, where even cobl was pretty much in daylight

yup, a bit later on the second night though! First night it wasn't even properly dark for Streets!

ruffian said:
i was at a concert with Chizip when they played Vertigo2 and he liked it quite a bit. Or he was faking it well.

im good at faking it :whistle:

Shade said:

If it's such a "bore" to you, why are you reading about it and responding to it? Don't you have anything better to do than complain about complainers who complain, thereby casting yourself a complainer not far removed from the complainers whose complaining you're complaining about?

Don't you have anything better to do than complaining about someone complaining over something that should be and is constantly complained about. Since I don't complain about what they complain about I see no reason why I should be called a complainer like those complainers who actually are complaining, unlike me.

Excuse me people but U2 have always been a political band and will always be a political band if you dont like it dont go to the shows. In my mind it is actually one of the things that keeps U2 going is the fact that they can bring music politics and religion together and make what they consider in their own heads and many other peoples heads big changes to the world.

1. I imagine that most people who voted in the tour poll had not attended a show from each tour. I hadn't, so I didn't vote.

2. People like to complain about setlists to shows they haven't been to because:
a. they like a variety on their boots
b. complaining about setlists makes them seem like an insider/diehard fan
c. they have no idea of the band's history of not changing setlists

Back
Top Bottom