From the horses mouth - An arena and stadium tour in 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daveone

The Fly
I know this should be in the tour forum but nevermind...

I got this article courtesy of the Radio One website, discussing todays Q awards...

U2 were at the star-studded ceremony to pick up the Icon Award - Bono tried to play it down and said the band were more excited about the new record:

"Yeah, I'm going to throw myself under a car."

"The album on the other hand makes me want to jump off a building - but I know I'll be able to fly with that album. That is not an R Kelly reference."

"It is a special record and that's why we're here really - it's just to tell people that we have something special and we're coming to a stadium and a pulpit near you."

So it looks like U2 will be playing stadiums and arenas after all, which could make it an hell of a long tour. Still looking more forward to the arena dates though.

I am praying for madison square garden!!! Please! If you're reading this New York can't wait!

:hyper: I guess that goes along with what was said in the U2 interview when they said they will be on the road for two years and touring Australia, what Edge confirmed.

Pulpit = arena? I thought he meant a club lol

Pulpit = arena? I thought he meant a club lol

I dont know, he may well mean club i was just wishfully thinking he was referring to a decent arena tour as oppossed to a few preview gigs in clubs. I can't see them going into a stadium tour straight area without playing arenas, just seems a bit ambitious to me after such a long time away from stadiums. I hope they 'find thier feet' in arenas first anyway.

'Pulpit,' in a religious context, is neither an arena nor a club. It is something a preacher stands behind.

And let me get this straight - are you calling Bono a horse? :eyebrow:

Main Entry: pul·pit

Pronunciation: 'pul-"pit also 'p&l-, -p&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin pulpitum, from Latin, staging, platform
1 : an elevated platform or high reading desk used in preaching or conducting a worship service
2 a : the preaching profession b : a preaching position

A horses mouth with a lot of preaching to do. :wink:

PHP:
And let me get this straight - are you calling Bono a horse?

Would I? "Straight from the horses mouth" Its a well known phrase in the UK meaning information direct from its primary source

:no:

Dear me! Please not another Dome show!!!

But before I get too worked up over this, for now I'm going to assume he was just trying to give a witty remark. He was probably speaking in a general sense. Some places may get stadiums others (Atlanta?) will probably get arena shows...
We'll know by the end of the year...

Weren't most of the European Elevation shows in Stadiums, whereas, all US dates were arena. Maybe they'll look at what the market will bear and take which route is most appropriate (ie arenas US, stadiums elsewhere or vice versa)?

All Elevation shows in Europe were arenas except Torino & Slane. I so hope they stay indoors, being (relatively) intimate. I fear that we Europeans will get stadiums only.....

Madison Square Garden is on the books. Last spring a US/Ireland Alliance website auctioned off a pair of premium seats for the venue. The date was not disclosed, just for great seats to the show. They went for $8100/pair. Paul confirmed the listing on ebay.

I cant post a website to this board yet bc I have under 15 posts but if you do a search using google with the keywords, u2 us ireland alliance, you will come to the article confirming my last post about the show at MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.

I would actually prefer Stadiums because tickets would be much cheaper, probably around 50 to 60 dollars. With Arena show sin the USA, look for tickets to be on average around 90 to 100 dollars.

cdparky said:
All Elevation shows in Europe were arenas except Torino & Slane.

If I remember correctly, the Berlin show was in an amphitheatre and the three Arnhem shows were in a small stadium.

I see no reason why U2 can't vary between the two. I'm hoping for stadiums personally, simply for the larger amount of cheaper tickets.

To U2:

Please please don't play the Metrodome in Minneapolis. It has terrible acoustics. It really, really sucks.

The new Xcel center in Saint Paul would be the BEST place to play in the Twin Cities. Great acoustics, great venue. It would be awesome there!!!

I'm personally leaning toward a mix of the two, maybe one leg in the States with arenas, then based on the success of the album and the tour, do a second leg with stadiums. Arenas are very intimate but ticket prices are killer. I wouldnt mind seeing u2 at an arena and a stadium next summer :wink:

Yes, ticket prices will be higher in Arenas than stadiums. But I'd happily pay the higher price to see them in arenas.

cdparky said:
All Elevation shows in Europe were arenas except Torino & Slane. I so hope they stay indoors, being (relatively) intimate. I fear that we Europeans will get stadiums only.....

Not true!

Arnhem (Netherlands) was Gelredome, a stadium with a capacity of 33,000...3 times sold out, that's 100,000 lucky Dutch people!

phommel said:

Not true!

Arnhem (Netherlands) was Gelredome, a stadium with a capacity of 33,000...3 times sold out, that's 100,000 lucky Dutch people!

Happy to stand corrected. Most Elevation shows in Europe were arenas.

Back
Top Bottom