For those who want a stadium tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanB

The Fly
Have you ever been to a stadium tour?They suck. Who wants to be 200 yards away from the band? As for the big pretty lights and screens, who cares? You
might as well stay home and play a dvd really loud. Those who get arena tours should be glad the band didn't stick you with a stadium show. The worst seats at an arena show are much better than the typical stadium seat.

DanB said:
Have you ever been to a stadium tour?They suck. Who wants to be 200 yards away from the band? As for the big pretty lights and screens, who cares? You
might as well stay home and play a dvd really loud. Those who get arena tours should be glad the band didn't stick you with a stadium show. The worst seats at an arena show are much better than the typical stadium seat.

well...i had a fan-freaking-tastic time at the ZOOTV outdoor tour; it was one fo the best shows i've ever been too. also, after seeing some of the footage from popmart, i kick myself for missing that one. i think it's great to be able to just go and experience the show.

btw...i'm from burlington too. :)

DanB said:

get a life - you obviously have never been to a stadium show. the atmosphere is a million times better than the boring US crowds....

Re: Re: For those who want a stadium tour

eimear25 said:

get a life - you obviously have never been to a stadium show. the atmosphere is a million times better than the boring US crowds....

Don't really care about the crowd,

BTW, visited Ireland a few years ago. Still trying to get the stink of cigarettes out of my clothes.

I saw both Edmonton Popmart shows and they were fan-fuckin-tastic! The sound was 10 times better than the sound at either indoor Vancouver shows this year.

Re: Re: Re: For those who want a stadium tour

DanB said:

Don't really care about the crowd,

BTW, visited Ireland a few years ago. Still trying to get the stink of cigarettes out of my clothes.

so you don't care about the crowd, did you see the chicago DVD and the shots of the crowd walking around and doing everything they can NOT to look at the show, its embarrasing

DanB said:

outdoor shows are awesome. sure if you're an idiot and get there late you'll be a million miles away, but if you know what you're doing, there's nothing like it.

eimear25 said:

now that's just as stupid as what the OP posted...

Some countries like Finland, don't have large enough arenas for such big name acts like U2 and venues like Helsinki's Olympic stadium is the only viable venue in the whole country. You're world view is obviously very limited and self-centred!!:rant:

u2wedge said:

now that's just as stupid as what the OP posted...

yeah you're right, but he wound me up!!

i was at one of the MSG shows in October and it didn't come near the Europe shows I was at. My preference is a stadium tour

Well, the show I watched in Paris was amazing. The screen, the catwalks into the crowd, the huge crowd itself were all things that added to the show and to the band's performance I think. Plus some of the best U2 songs fit perfectly into a stdium. Songs like Where The Streets Have No Name, City Of Blinding Lights, The Electric Co., The Fly, With Or Without You were perfect.

Granted I've never been to an Arena show but I was at the 2 Elevation shows at Slane in 2001 and the 3 Croke Park shows this year. I was in the stands for the 1st two croker shows and on the pitch up the front for the third and all 3 were absolutely magnificant especially the 3rd, streets ahead of the Chicago Dvd (imo), although i do think the Chicago Dvd is deadly as well. Theres nothing like 80000 lunatics going ballistic to a rock concert

eimear25 said:

the atmosphere is a million times better than the boring US crowds....

How old are you? Ten? Who cares if everyone is jumping up and down and yelling whee. There to see the band.

DanB said:

How old are you? Ten? Who cares if everyone is jumping up and down and yelling whee. There to see the band.

OK, you need to stop with the derogatory comments. If you want to have a discussion about a stadium tour, fine, but there is no reason to continue to insult people from other countries and assume others ages.

If you cannot stop, then I suggest finding a different U2 forum to be a part of.

Sure, stadiums aren't as intimate as some of the smaller arenas U2 has played this year, but I agree that the crowds can be much more energetic at stadium shows. The Popmart show I went to was wild--nobody sitting for the whole show and not even bothering to clap like I've seen this year. Plus, in general I think the sound quality at outdoor shows is much better.

I've loved being able to get fairly close at the shows I've gone to this year. That's one thing that's been nice about U2 playing arenas. But I'm willing to be farther back at a stadium and just soak up the experience, too. The crowd was so keyed-up at a few of the shows I've been to this year. I want to experience that with 30 or 40,000 people again.

If you think stadium tours suck, don't go. It's as simple as that.

My experiences of the Zoo Tv and Vertigo concerts were fantastic :up: :bow: :rockon:

I love the excitement of such a huge crowd roaring their excitement at seeing U2 walk on to the stage :hyper: :hyper:

There is no feeling like it and it's such a buzz watching 50,000 jump up and down to Elevation or Streets or Sunday bloody sunday! :happy: :heart:

susanp6 said:
My experiences of the Zoo Tv and Vertigo concerts were fantastic :up: :bow: :rockon:

Agreed. ZooTV and Popmart blew me away and I was in the nosebleeds for every show of those tours.

I love the excitement of such a huge crowd roaring their excitement at seeing U2 walk on to the stage :hyper: :hyper:
[/B]

Yes! Yes!

There is no feeling like it and it's such a buzz watching 50,000 jump up and down to Elevation or Streets or Sunday bloody sunday! :happy: :heart: [/B]

The energy level at its peak is so much higher at a stadium show. Streets is great in an arena, but its a downright religious experience with an additional 40,000 people screaming.

Other pluses:
1. Better sound (albeit with extra delay)
2. Drug-friendly visuals

I think I prefer the smaller venues. I did love Popmart, but I was lucky enough to be fairly close. Zoo TV, I was further back, and it wasn't a very good experience, unfortunately.

the edges plec said:
Indoors outdoors it does'nt matter just seeing u2 live is all that matters:wink:

Exactly! We are all U2 fans here just being in the same place with the band is what matters. Personally Im all about U2 doing a stadium tour! Think it would be an incredible experience to have. Oh and some of us at the Chicago shows were really into the show. I was there the 10th and had the time of my life! Know I will have the time of my life too if I ever went to a U2 stadium concert.

How can you speak if you haven't ever been to a stadium concert..?
I guess that you must first go and watch a show like this and then return and we can talk again about it...
Consider this too as part of my answer:
1a.jpg

the edges plec said:
Indoors outdoors it does'nt matter just seeing u2 live is all that matters:wink:

I agree! :up:

I've never seen U2 play a stadium, but I hope to if they do a US stadium tour next year.

I'm sure it would be an incredible experience. From what I've heard from people who have seen U2 both in a stadium and an arena - both are amazing.

We'll go see them in the stadiums because we love them and their music, and want to experience another amazing concert.

Stadiums suck, you say?
That's because you haven't been up-front.

After standing in line for 16-hours, the rewards are obvious. Standing at the very front of 50.000 fans, screaming louder than ever. You get intimacy with the band (even Larry nodded and smiled at me) and the incredible atmosphere that it is.
For anyone in seats and in the back, too bad, but for those of us in the very, very front, I don't believe it gets better in arenas.

Also: The atmosphere. I had a look at the Boston extras - fan perspective. People in the ellipse, during Streets, just standing. Not clapping, dancing jumping or singing. Just standing. Such people don't deserve standing so close. One guy just looked at the ceiling.
I thought "what's up with this guy" but it seems like it's a tendency. I'd rather stand next to 70.000 crazy Italians who jump and sing even if they're sitting in a seat at the far end of the stadium.

My only complain is the stale set.
Stadium>arena any day.

menelaos said:
How can you speak if you haven't ever been to a stadium concert..?
I guess that you must first go and watch a show like this and then return and we can talk again about it...
Consider this too as part of my answer:
1a.jpg

That shot is seriously amazing. Shivers each time I see it.

God Part III in wich italian concert have you been..??
I was at the Rome one, and was outside the ellipse Adam's side...I was there from 11 in the morning...
This pic is from the Rome concert...
If only I could find a bigger one, this could be the best Vertigo tour photo ever imo...

Back
Top Bottom