For those of you that have taken pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreameral

Babyface
I was wondering what type of digital cameras that you have. Some pictures seem very good and some don't. Most times any indoor or night shots are lousy with my digicam. Is the concert bright at certain times for better shots.

I have a Canon Powershot A95 but so far the night time shots of stage and lighting haven't come out all that great but I have until Nov. (Vegas) to play with the settings and whatnot.

I use a Canon PowerShot S1-IS and it's wonderful!!! Taking good concert pics is hard, so I wasn't too disappointed with mine, but I took this camera for a month in Africa and it was perfect! It has image stabilization so that when your flash is off or you're zoomed way in, the pics aren't blurry. It also has a 10x optical zoom, so a few times at the concerts and on safari in Africa, I used it like binoculars.

I did a LOT of work researching digicams before I bought this b/c it was so expensive and important to me, and everyone I've talked to has recommended Canon or Nikon and avoided Kodak. The Kodaks are more user friendly, but in general the images are more dull and noisy/grainy b/c the lenses they use aren't as good. I've been perfectly satisfied with my Canon and since I got it, have convined many others to get Canons. My boss, who's been a photographer for 35 years bought a sweet Nikon digital a few years ago and told me he's never picked up his SLR since. I don't know much about Sony's other than I don't know anyone that uses one or recommends one, but I think they're nice for casual use b/c they make such small models.

My pics from May if you want examples:

http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/

I have a Nikon but in my experience it doesn't matter so much what kind of camera you have as much as just don't use the flash.

I was fidgeting a ton with my new 7.2 Sony cam.....I've have some good pictures....and trying to learn what settings I should use. Unfortuately with the 3x zoom....I have to wait until they are close to get a decent picture....

More pics to follow when I can post them!

smileymbcastard said:
can i make a suggesttion. Use the higest speed you can like 400 or 800 to get decent pics

that is if you have a 35mm film camera. Yeah the higher the speed the better.

for digital cameras it is a lot more complex. I for one wanna bring my fuji digital with 10x zoom but I am not sure I am gonna be able to sneak it in. Anyone got tips for that?

Anyone got tips for us digital camera users on how to get the best pics..?

thanks.

Gee....there are such things as digital cameras!? :scratch: Where can I find one of those high tech pieces of equipment?

I'm such a poor person...can't afford one so I still use a 35 mm film camera. Through most of the U2 shows I've used 800 speed film and get "okay" pictures...a little grainy. If they are right in front of you...they are stellar.

For Chicago.......I'm going w/1600 speed. Should come out marvie! :D

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I use a Canon PowerShot S1-IS and it's wonderful!!! Taking good concert pics is hard, so I wasn't too disappointed with mine, but I took this camera for a month in Africa and it was perfect! It has image stabilization so that when your flash is off or you're zoomed way in, the pics aren't blurry. It also has a 10x optical zoom, so a few times at the concerts and on safari in Africa, I used it like binoculars.

I did a LOT of work researching digicams before I bought this b/c it was so expensive and important to me, and everyone I've talked to has recommended Canon or Nikon and avoided Kodak. The Kodaks are more user friendly, but in general the images are more dull and noisy/grainy b/c the lenses they use aren't as good. I've been perfectly satisfied with my Canon and since I got it, have convined many others to get Canons. My boss, who's been a photographer for 35 years bought a sweet Nikon digital a few years ago and told me he's never picked up his SLR since. I don't know much about Sony's other than I don't know anyone that uses one or recommends one, but I think they're nice for casual use b/c they make such small models.

Very nice photos!
I used a Casio Z-750 for the European tour and got some great results, especially in the daylight. Was in the Elipse on all the dates so closeups were fine. The only trouble is that Flash on digital cameras is notoriously bad, so when there is very little light the results can be hit and miss. My advice is take a lot of memory and take a lot of photos!

So, you know Laura! Very lucky girl!

Dang it, Lies. Now you've made me thoroughly disgusted with myself. I bought an Olympus earlier this year for about the same that I COULD have paid for your Canon, and despite my best efforts, all my camera gave me were 96 photos that look like this:

3449945923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D887%3D%3B5%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3A%3A%3C%3A%3A%3A88ot1lsi

Grrrrrrrr

stammer476 said:

Dang it, Lies. Now you've made me thoroughly disgusted with myself. I bought an Olympus earlier this year for about the same that I COULD have paid for your Canon, and despite my best efforts, all my camera gave me were 96 photos that look like this:

3449945923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D887%3D%3B5%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3A%3A%3C%3A%3A%3A88ot1lsi

Grrrrrrrr

:D

Actually, I looked at a few Olympuses, but decided no b/c the media cards they use cost more than Canon's CF cards (and I took almost 2GB worth of cards with me to Africa).

I love the image stabilizer function on my Canon. I'm not sure if it had any effect for my U2 pics, but when we were on safari in Tanzania, zooming way in on animals that were moving, riding in a jeep that was moving, it helped a lot and my pictures were steady where other peoples' were blurry.

My digital won't let me turn off the flash what would you advise. I tried using it in Chicago but the pics I took with the disposable turned out better. Any suggestions other then spend a shit load of money on a new digital?

govikesU2 said:
My digital won't let me turn off the flash what would you advise. I tried using it in Chicago but the pics I took with the disposable turned out better. Any suggestions other then spend a shit load of money on a new digital?

Not really. Cheap digitals are crap, and I learned that the hard way with my old Kodak. It's a good investment, though!

I love the image stabilizer function on my Canon. I'm not sure if it had any effect for my U2 pics,

I bet it had a major effect. My wife and I had seats for May 10 Chicago that were almost in the same section as yours, and you can see the noticable difference. :madspit:

If you're coming to either Detroit shows, you can just take my pictures for me.

stammer476 said:

If you're coming to either Detroit shows, you can just take my pictures for me.

Both! First night I'll be at the back of the floor alone (unless I'm lucky and get scanned in) and will probably record the concert if cameras are allowed. Second night we should be at the front since we're camping out.

Cool. I should be near the front of the floor for the first night (I'll be there early in the AM, it helps to live so close). The second night we have seats in the upper level, which is pretty good in The Palace. I've attended several Pistons games in those seats and they are great for the money.

Last edited:
Are you guys hiding cameras on the way in or is it pretty much a given that people are bringing cameras in?

u2wedge said:
Are you guys hiding cameras on the way in or is it pretty much a given that people are bringing cameras in?

THat's my main concern, since I have GA for St. Louis I don't want to go back out to the car and lose a prime spot up front. How has security been people? Any St. Louis people know how it is at the venue there?

99% certain they will let cameras in. Ask the security people beforehand, and if for some odd reason they say that they will not allow cameras, then tell someone to hold you place in line while you go put it in your car. Shouldn't be a problem.

But like I said, I think all venues except one has allowed cameras on this tour so far. (and they probably should have but got mixed up)

ok here is the story with cameras.

taking them in is simple i just told the guard that it was a camera and they did not bother me.

I took about 158 pics of which i posted 63 which were good the rest were crap.

if you get in the elipse or are seated you will get better pics.

if your stading in the crowd you wont get too godd pics casue people are always pushing on you.

I took my camera in at the St Louis show last tour w/no problems. They didn't even bat an eye.
The thing w/St Louis will be the unpredicatable weather in December. Last tour...we used the courthouse across the street for bathrooms. Of course...be prepared to walk through a metal detector EVERY time you gotta go. :huh:

I actually just bought a disposable camera, because I was paranoid about not being able to take my good one in. When I got the pictures developed, I got them on a CD, too, then cropped and zoomed a bit. They're not the best ever, but they came out pretty well. Here's an example:

bonosycmioyo3cropped.jpg

That said, I'm still going to take my own camera in the fall, now that I know the Wachovia Center will let me in with it.

Back
Top Bottom