Favorite Concert Moments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
youtwohearts said:
The first show in Jersey

YES! Correctamundo....

This 1st NJ show on May 17th, which I was lucky enough to be in attendance at, was only the 2nd time U2 came out to perform an encore of Vertigo. It took everyone by surprise and turned an already spectacular show into a legendary one. Everyone left on such a high that night. And best of all, this show was very much responsible for the Vertigo encore becoming a staple on the tour.

djerdap said:
- the entire Chicago IV encore (Until the End of the World tour debut, Edge improvising the solo because he fucked up badly in The Fly, ZooTV lyrics in the Mysterious Ways ending, the best performance of With or Without You since early 1993 and a 10-minute version of Bad to end it all)

Wait wait....ZooTV lyrics in MW ending...you don't mean the "I'll buy you roses" falcetto do you? I would be very very excited if they started doing that again.

And...erm...not a fan of the Zoomerang version of WOWY, then?

tommycharles said:

Wait wait....ZooTV lyrics in MW ending...you don't mean the "I'll buy you roses" falcetto do you? I would be very very excited if they started doing that again.

And...erm...not a fan of the Zoomerang version of WOWY, then?

Nope, sorry, not that part, but the "Move my spirit, hold me" part.
I do like the Zoomerang versions, but the Chicago version of WOWY was amazing, with the Strangers in the Night snippet. And Edge was so close in doing a Rattle and Hum-style solo...

Wild Horses for the first time in Boston, OOC in Boston, Bono spraying champagne and then the opening chords to Party Girl!! And everyone in the crowd singing "HEY" during... the part where you sing "HEY." ISHFWILF in Paris and the amazing crowd there, Bono losing his voice during Pride on 10/3 and the crowd absolutely going wild to support him... so many! '40' at Boston 2 in May... Bono and ESPECIALLY Larry putting on the Red Sox jersey at Boston 1 in October...

The ENTIRE Chicago IV encore, from the opening sounds of Until The End Of The World 'till the closing note of Bad.

The moment towards the end of Streets during the Milwaukee show where Bono was quite literally dumbfounded by the noise in the arena.

Sunday Bloody Sunday in Milwaukee -- no fuckin' around with bullshit theatrics, that was one of the most heartfelt versions of the song since they started playing it regularly again.

The opening notes of Love And Peace Or Else at Chicago I (I had wanted them to open with it so badly...then they did).

Getting sprayed with champagne at Chicago III.

The Confetti during COBL opening night in San Diego

WOWY for SD2

"Bad" for the first time on tour in Glendale / Phoenix

all 3 Croke Park shows, especially #2

**FULL BAND WILD HORSES Croke 1.**

SBS for Croke 1

Streets Croke 2 (omfg)

being in my favorite city to see them (Paris),

"Can't Help Falling In Love" during Paris 1,

"Amazing Grace" for Paris 2.

Seven shows to go!

- my first time in the ellipse, right in front of adam, as the confetti came down during cobl.
- zoo station, 5/10
- GLORIA, 5/12. there are NO words.
- larry putting on bono's cowboy hat at the end of 40, 9/21
- "walk on," 9/20
- every single moment of 9/20. i was in the ellipse, right in front of edge, and it was the best show i've ever seen. by anyone. ever.

Y2K said:

YES! Correctamundo....

This 1st NJ show on May 17th, which I was lucky enough to be in attendance at, was only the 2nd time U2 came out to perform an encore of Vertigo. It took everyone by surprise and turned an already spectacular show into a legendary one. Everyone left on such a high that night. And best of all, this show was very much responsible for the Vertigo encore becoming a staple on the tour.

That was actually my least favorite show :reject: but still great.....

I also have to add Miss sarajevo :drool: gave me chills

best moment for me was going to my first show of the tour, Toronto 3, with my girlfriend (her first show EVER!) and getting scanned into the ellipse.

After waiting for four years after the Elevation tour, wishing, crossing fingers, hearing other people's stories, and generally never thinking that I could ever get in the ellipse... BINGO! We got scanned in. I remember walking down the stairs to the scanning table and watching person after person not getting scanned in, then they scanned my ticket and it seemed like it took forever, and then I just saw the screen flash 'Vertigo' or whatever it says... talk about a dream come true, or karma, or whatever, it was a feeling I'll never forget. It was surreal for the first half hour or so and then when the band came on it was just 'off the hook'. So now after having GA in Toronto, and two shows under my belt at MSG, I feel like I've hit some of the best shows of the tour. And on top of that, my g/f is now officially 'converted' and is as gung ho about U2 as anyone could be. It's a blast seeing her have so much fun...

So now with 2 shows to go, both GA's, I'm hoping for a little luck to get that experience one more time. The way I see it, I have a 50/50 shot.

My personal top 10 concert moments (in no particular order...)

1. Fast Cars video shoot in Toronto... should get some decent camera time if my face makes the final cut...
2. BB King birthday call...
3. First COBL opener of 3rd leg...
4. Daniel Lanois on 'One'
5. MSG Crumbs
6. MSG AIWIY
7. MSG WGRYWH
8. MSG Mary J. Blige on 'One'
9. Seeing Bono in Toronto
10. Seeing Adam in NYC

Last edited:
The moment that U2 took the stage at the San Diego opening show, I froze, covered in goosebumps, ready to laugh and cry all at the same time. I was mesmerized, mystified and it is a memory forever imbedded in my mind and heart. It's gotten better and better and more and more meaningful each show I attend!

Y2K said:

YES! Correctamundo....

Are you not counting Chicago III because they were already on stage?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

* Miro on stage during Fast Cars, 9/21
* Bono's vocals for Miss Sarajevo, 9/20, 9/21

ditto :wink:

melsbud said:
Vertigo2 at Seattle 2. (I hate that they've done it so often now, but it was so spontaneous that first time, and the audience went apeshit.)

ditto (Hi Melsbud! :wave: )

kellyahern said:
Mysterious Ways Seattle 2 when Bono "danced" with Adam :lol:.

ditto! And B singing "Sexy Adam Clayton" :drool: (my thoughts exactly, Bono...)

ALSO:
Seattle 1 - B singing Zoo Station right at me and getting some face time from Adam too. (Can't wait to get back in GA!!!)

Van2 - a stranger kind of highlight when that crazy woman mauled Bono during Yahweh. ("No....no...this really isn't the right song for this...")

Chicago 9/20 - Bono asking for lyric sheet... :cute: ...and just all the changes to the set list those two shows. I had a sh*tfaced grin on my face for at least a week after those 2 shows... :love:

From my first ever and only U2 show so far - Hampden Park, Glasgow, my favourite moments included:

- The Edge coming out on the ramp and going crazy during The Electric Co.

- New Year's Day - The Edge's performance, both musically and vocally on that song turned it from just another U2 song to one of my favourite live U2 songs.

- Bono taking balloons off someone in the crowd, walking around with them and letting them go, just perfectly in sync with COBL kicking in, Bono waving goodbye to the balloons then the whole crowd watching in anticipation as they JUST clear the stadium. I just can't believe how perfect that moment was.

- The Edge and Adam just a few feet away during Love and Peace or Else, and Edge bursting into flames as the solo kicks in.

- Streets - OK, I was thinking....they've played this song over 500 times, so it's bound to lack a little something. Let's just say, it didn't. I was going absolutely crazy, it was amazing. Bono and The Edge harmonising "Love" was just flawless.

- Zoo Station - I was going crazy, this was the song that I had been most looking forward to since the tour had started, and as The Edge was making his way past down to the B-stage, I was going ballistic. I never even noticed any of the visuals, my eyes were totally fixed on Edge.

- Vertigo x2, as much criticism as it has received, was a phenomenal way to end the night, big contrast to how it was played in the opening.

my fave was Philly 10/17, The Electric Co. I really want to know what snippets he sings during that song. Anyone?

U2Bono269 said:
my fave was Philly 10/17, The Electric Co. I really want to know what snippets he sings during that song. Anyone?

Oh man, that specific performance was when it really hit me just how totally surreal the whole experience was. That night was my first GA experience, and I was dead center third row from the rail when Edge came blazing across the ellipse. My heart stopped for about 3 seconds then. What a performance. The Electric Co. was definitely a highlight Monday night! :rockon:

I was about 5th row to the left of center outside the ellipse. That was just the greatest show ever.

Well, I do have a biased opinion, as I've only ever been to one show, but I'll have a go. Croker III. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it yet.

- Having Gloria in the setlist near the start was a real shocker. Never imagined I'd hear it. Of course, it was totally brilliant.

- An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart. Again, another I never thought I'd hear. Very cool. And then it lead into...

- Beautiful Day. A song played at every show, but one that really got the crowd going. Singing ond dancing with this random girl in GA - not something I'd usually do!

- Original of the Species. Again, another I didn't expect to hear, ever. Lovely tune.

-Still Haven't Found - the stadium just erupted when this started up. Again, I don't think this was played too often at the start of leg 2. And at the end when the crowd were still singing as Bono was talking, and he stopped to let us finish - brilliant.

- Bad. OMFG. Earlier I had been talking to my mate about Bad. He didn't know what I was talking about, but once I started to sing it [badly] he knew what I was on about. Anyway, I explained we were unlikely to see it, as it was really rare in Europe this tour. So, when I heard the "bells" at the start [ or maybe the guitar riff...] I turned round and shouted "IT'S BAD!!!" Absolutely awesome, awesome tune, having Dirty Old Town in the middle made it just perfect.

- COBL - great stadiumj anthem. And, of course, the song the screen kicks into.

- LAPOE - freakin' awesome, especially with Bono KICKING ARSE on the drums. And of course, this starts the concert proper, leading us into..

- Sunday Bloody Sunday. As you can imagine, being an Irish crowd, the place just erupts. NO MORE! :D

- Bullet the Blue Sky. Now, I had never heard a live version of this tune before the concert. I'd heard Edge had a brilliant solo in the middle, but had never heard it before. Needless to say, it wasn't a bad place to be introduced to it!

- Running to Stand Still - lovely tune, snippets of Walk On and singing Happy Birthday to Ang Sang Suki (?) were classic.

- Pride. This is something you guys just won't like, but I fucking loved this from start to finish. And I cannot why people don't like this as an intro to...

- Streets, the chanting really works. Anyway, this was a song I was so looking forward to. But I was worried that it wouldn't live up to my giant-sized expectations. After the intro, the rest is a blur. I'm fairly sure I enjoyed it though. :D

- One. It had the phones, the "Hear me coming Lord" verse, and Unchained Melody. I was happy.

- Zoo Station. Oh dear, the only song I was disappointed with all night. Well, I say "disappointed", I really loved it. But I was so looking forward to something similar to the album version - I'd never heard a live version of it before. It seemed too crisp or something, not enough distortion. But the whole fog/awesome screen graphics was great.

- The Fly - ah, back to total awesomeness. Again, really cool graphics, and the greatest version of the song I've ever heard.

- WOWY. Great song, the girl who was picked was only a few yeards away from me. I was, of course, reaching out for Bono to pick me, until I realised he was looking for a girl! :lol:

- Vertigo II - A real rocker, especially the second time. In my head at the very start, I was thinking: "Aww crap, Vertigo 2. I thought we'd get something cool". That was until I caught myself on and rocked out LIKE A MOFO. Stories for Boys snipped was freakin' brilliant, and suited so well [the bass lines are virtually identical, aren't they?]. And so they left the stage. Great show I thought. Brilliant show. Of course, Vertigo II was only a diversion, seeing as it led to...

- Yahweh - nice song, didn't care too much for it. But this led into...

- 40. One of the highlights of the night. I nearly went mad when they played it. How long to sing this song indeed, Bono. Continued for minutes after.

In fact, was that the only show with 2 Vertigos and a non-Vertigo closer. Thought that was brilliant.

Of course, there were other, non-song related things. Like when Adam looked RIGHT AT ME. I, shocked by this, just looked away, then looked back. Of course, by then he was just being too cool to care about me. :D

BTW, sorry this ended up as a song-by-song review of the show, I just loved it so much. Hoping to go to Portland this tour too, hoping to get GA and hoping the experience is half as good as Croker III was.

Being right in front of Bono's mike on 9/21 in the Ellipse...and of course, Miro and her Fast Cars Dance.

:)

I should be shot for forgetting my absolute favorite part of the tour: Bondage Bono :drool:

50653877.jpg

I've been to four shows on the tour and the highlights are:

-being in GA for the first time in Philly1 in May

-Boston 5/26 when the place went Out of Control! And WOWY

-10/17 was without a doubt the best thing I've ever seen. About a week ago I started hoping they'd play Walk On, a ridiculous hope given that they've only played it once, but there it was to launch the encore, and acoustic!! Then Fast Cars, with the dancing between Bono and Edge.

I have to mention that one of my favorite bootlegs is the Stand By Me with Bruce from Philly in 87, which starts off with Bono saying, "Would anybody like to play my guitar? Would Bruce Springsteen like to play my guitar?" So when he said, "We need a guitar player," I recognized something in his voice and started going apeshit which drew funny looks from the people around me until Bruce walked out. The jam session was amazing, complete with Bono wrapping his arm around Bruce from behind as he sang and Bruce jammed with Edge. Officially making it the best show ever. (Or at least in a long, long time.)

i went to 2 shows

Denver 2, my first U2 concert. the whole show was amazing...during the bad-pride streets sequence the crowd intensity level was insane. It felt like the roof was gonna come off :combust: I don't think a show could get any better :drool:

St Louis. another great show. getting to hear Until The End Of The World :combust: Bono singing Miss Sarajevo and meeting people from the forum that day too

and from both shows, the lighting effects were awesome :drool:

5. Being on the front rail of the ellipse for 8 (out of 17) concerts
4. Hearing every song that U2 possibly played on this tour
3. Dancing on stage with Bono to one of my favorite songs
2. Sharing the stage with 13 of my U2 friends and...oh yeah...4 lads from Dublin, in Boston :wink:
1. Seeing U2 perform in their home country PRICELESS!

Being the closest I have ever been to the boys.:drool:
Bono giving me the peace sign:ohmy:
Bono reaching across to me sing can't you see the beauty inside of me.:wink:
Bono grabbing his heart when I blew him a :kiss: .

Bono dancing in sink with me to Mysterious Ways:sexywink:

When leaving the stage I said thank you Bono and signed I love you. he responded, thank you love.:heart:

and last just good old eye contact :faint:

and this was from the 1st row behind the stage during 2 shows!
I have to get a GA next time around.

Being at my first show and getting to hear a snippet of One Tree Hill! I still don't know why they decided to do it that night, but if someone was holding up a sign at the Oakland 1 show, thank you!

Getting the peace sign, a smile, and a hello from Bono. :D

Honestly, one of my favorite moments on the tour was seeing Snow Patrol at Croke Park. They were awesome live.

Second best, my wife and an English couple (at their first concert ever!) starting the wave at that show - 80,000 doing the wave - priceless! Makes that whole butterfly flap/tornado story mure plausible!!

- Band getting on stage in Dublin, 24/6. Very surreal experience.
- Nodding to Adam during New Year's Day, him nodding back, 24/6.
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, surprise, 24/6.
- Finding out 1) They had just played Miss Sarajevo twice 2) they were filming the Milan concert I was about to attend, 20/7.
- Bono and Edge going nuts during Electric Co., 21/7.
- Bono putting on a London Underground-shirt during Sunday Bloody Sunday, 21/7.
- Miss Sarajevo, of course, 21/7.
- Party Girl, 29/7.
- Getting first in line for the Copenhagen show, 30/7.
- Being at the very front for the Copenhagen show, 31/7.
- Watching Vertigo live from Milan again, today.

Back
Top Bottom