FALL tour in Stadiums needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
90% of my friends do not have tickets although they tried and everything is soldout. Scalpers are making a killing! With demand this high, the band should have the shows in Stadiums. Who cares if a few of them do not sellout, thats actually a good thing because then fans don't have the problem of deciding whether they are willing to play over 300 dollars for a ticket just to get in the building!

They already have a stadium production for Europe and they should send it over here for the fall North American tour so that anyone that wants a ticket at regular price will be able to get one. Playing Arena's with this level of demand is just crazy.

I think most people want arenas but I think if they were given the chance of stadiums or getting tickets at all they would take stadiums.

Why so few shows? Elevation 1st leg had 50 shows. Vertigo 1st leg has fewer than 20.

Yahweh said:
I think most people want arenas but I think if they were given the chance of stadiums or getting tickets at all they would take stadiums.

True.
When the first tour speculation began last year, many 'demanded' arena shows. Well, you're reminded again what it means when the tour is in arenas. It's hell getting tickets.
Sure, it's still difficult getting tickets for many stadium shows, but those stadiums are 2 to 3 times the size of an arena. So it's comparatively easier.

My line has always been, I want a U2 tour for which I can get tickets.

C ya!

Marty

We have heard family illness or routing issues...personally I do believe there is something to the family illness or they would have played more dates.

speedracer said:
Why so few shows? Elevation 1st leg had 50 shows. Vertigo 1st leg has fewer than 20.

The first leg was shortened because of an illness in Edge's family. If it would have started on 1 March as originally planned, then you'd seen at least 10 more shows (maybe even 15 or so).

I totally think they need to do at least a partial stadium leg in the USA. The demand is just too high for arena shows...

sortofhomecoming said:
I would not be surprised - if they play at Lincoln Financial Field in the Fall.

They better, or I fear what happened today will simply be repeated in the fall.

They might do what they did on the JT tour and combine arenas with stadiums.

Some markets might be too soft to support a stadium show, while others would demand one, perhaps two, stadio.

jedi Larry said:

Some markets might be too soft to support a stadium show, while others would demand one, perhaps two, stadio.

I think that would be best. Big cities like New York and Chicago call for stadiums, but smaller cities like Indianapolis and Minneapolis could do arenas. I don't want to be in a stadium and be like a mile away from the band, but I also don't want to get screwed out of seeing U2 at all. I sincerely hope that the presale for the fall leg will be more successful than this one.

jedi Larry said:

I thought the plural of "stadium" was "stadia", but I could be wrong.

Not sure how psyched I'd be to see U2 at Gillette Stadium in November at night, though...

Hey, they played Denver's Mile High in, what October..........:ohmy:

And it was packed with 50,000+ and cold.....

Is Gillette Stadium what used to be called Foxboro Stadium?

Maybe they'd play those dates early September(if they do them at all that is)?

Last edited:
They make more money in the arenas.....they can charge a bit more, plus it allows for the same fans to go to like the same four shows in a given city......if there's only one arena show, they can only attend that one.......plus you get more people to go when there's better tickets (and better sound in the arenas).....it's a better concert experience and a better moneymaker for them to stick to the arenas.

if you play an 80,000 seat stadium you have 80,000 different people there

thus 80,000 people wanting to buy different souveniers and crap

plus you only have to rent it out for 1 night

if you play a 20,000 seat arena 4 times, maybe only 60,000 different people go, as people go to more than one, thus you lose out on potential new customers you can sell tshirts and crap to

plus you have to rent the place out 4 times

Here are some markets IMHO, could support at least one stadium show in the fall:

Dates not in any order:

New York
East Rutherford
Foxboro
Los Angeles
Dallas
Miami
Chicago
Atlanta
Denver
Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton
Oakland
Philadelphia
Washington D.C./Baltimore
Phoenix(?)

BigMacPhisto, that depends greatly on what type of production you as a band put together.

Shows like ZOO TV actually lost money when they played arenas in Europe because the cost outweighed the income generated because the venues were too small.

Likewise, imagine what would've happened if POPMart(minus the arch) tried to play 20,000-30,000 seater indoor venues.

:ohmy:

Financial Disaster

:sad:

Some productions demand stadium/open-air shows to break even.

Last edited:
I think they'll trying to figure out the best solution. They still haven't announced the dates for the fall leg and I don't see why they would have a stadium production in place (Europe) and just use it for that part of the tour. I for one like stadium shows and U2 is one of the few bands who can sell out a stadium. Bring it on.

If they picked a stadium for NYC, it'd have to be Giants Stadium. I'd love to see U2 in a place like that.

Hey, Springsteen played like 5 shows there on his last tour. So you never know what could happen!

Hmmm........there would be a LOT more GA tix for a stadium show........:drool:

what about football dates and that sort of thing, aren't those stadiums much harder to get booked during the season than a basketball or hockey arena? it would seem like if they wanted to do a US stadium tour they would have to go summer, and we know that's not happening this year.

Isn't U2's fanbase large enough in the New York area to handle a stadium in Jersey and one on Long Island?

shrmn8poptart
it would seem like if they wanted to do a US stadium tour they would have to go summer, and we know that's not happening this year.

Their U.S. stadium shows have traditionally come during the second swing thru the states.

Only POPmart started off in stadiums in the Spring because it had to to keep going.

BigMacPhisto said:
They make more money in the arenas.....they can charge a bit more, plus it allows for the same fans to go to like the same four shows in a given city......if there's only one arena show, they can only attend that one.......plus you get more people to go when there's better tickets (and better sound in the arenas).....it's a better concert experience and a better moneymaker for them to stick to the arenas.

Look, in the Philly market they have FAILED to meet demand, which means tens of thousands of fans do not have tickets which is hundreds of thousands of dollars the band did not make!

If the demand is there, Stadiums are the way to go and while the band may charge less, there are three to four times as many seats, plus multiple Stadium shows can be played. Some of the greatest moments of U2 playing live have been in stadiums. Many people say that on average the sound is better in a stadium and I agree from my experience which includes seeing U2 6 times in stadiums and 6 times in Arena's!

The band are playing Stadiums in Europe because of the precieved greater demand. Today should be a lesson to them that they should play Stadiums in the fall.

Most people who want to see U2 in Philadelphia still do not have tickets! Two Arena shows has not even made a dent in the level of demand that is here.

Virtually everyone who wanted to see U2 on the Elevation tour and made the effort to buy tickets when they went on sale at 10:00 am in the philly market were able to get tickets. Now the opposite is true!

It is simply crazy to be playing arena's when the demand level is this high.

The band is supposed to be done with shows in Europe in mid August.

That leaves plenty of time to book Stadiums in Canada and the Northern USA before it gets to cold and then keep the rest of the shows in October and November in the Southern USA or in Stadiums with roofs.

Just like to add this article I found:

Football Stadiums Set to Host Rock Concerts

Tue Jan 25, 8:47 PM ET

Add to My Yahoo! Entertainment - Reuters

By Sue Zeidler

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ten U.S. football stadiums have formed a network to promote themselves and grab a piece of the nearly $3 billion concert and live entertainment business.

The Gridiron Stadium Network consists of the stadiums of National Football League teams in Washington, D.C., Denver, Houston, Buffalo, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, Philadelphia and Kansas City. Each stadium can hold at least 60,000 spectators.

"We've spent a lot of time talking to talent agents and promoters and realized our facilities offered an outstanding alternative," said Tom Rooney, a spokesman for the Gridiron Stadium Network.

U.S. concert revenues in 2004 hit a record $2.8 billion, versus $2.5 billion in 2003. Despite the revenue uptick, North American concert attendance fell 5.4 percent, reflecting a drop of more than 2.5 million people, according to estimates.

Industry insiders said football stadiums may prove to be an attractive alternative to older amphitheaters, which were particularly hard hit in 2004 due to escalating prices.

There are about 40 amphitheaters nationwide that seat up to 25,000 people, mainly without cover on lawns.

To win back customers, concert market leader Clear Channel is cutting some fees charged at amphitheaters in a move that industry sources said could cost it millions of dollars.

The entertainment unit of radio giant Clear Channel Communications grossed about $1.4 billion in 2004 on 7,009 shows, according to industry tallies.

"Amphitheater operators have acknowledged there needs to be a drastic re-evaluation to take into account what the public is willing to pay for," said John Scher, co-chief executive of Metropolitan Talent, which represents artists.

"There's certainly an opportunity for these stadiums to take some amphitheater business," he said.

After business slowed in April 2004, many venues and promoters across the board slashed ticket prices to sell thousands of unsold seats, angering some customers.

"You upset the people who pay full prices and you train audiences to wait for discounts," said Pollstar editor Gary Bongiovanni.

Aggressive bidding on talent was cited as a factor behind the higher prices and lower profits in 2004.

"The business has gotten to the point of insanity," said concert promoter Louis Messina. "Promoters were guaranteeing sellouts and artists are assuming no risk. The guarantees have to come down. If not, it'll be another year where people are going to lose a lot of money."

So far, U2 is 2005's most highly anticipated tour, while other acts like the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney (news) and Bruce Springsteen (news) are expected to announce tours.

Washington, D.C., Denver, Houston, Buffalo, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, Philadelphia and Kansas City. Each stadium can hold at least 60,000 spectators.

Just looking at it, U2 could fill stadiums in D.C.,Denver, and Philly.

Alot depends on how many other places you play also. If they limted it to say, a handful of stadium shows in the largest markets, they could fill them.

I'm not sure I'd book a stadium show in Green bay, Kansas City, or Buffalo if I were U2 though.

You can overbook a stadium tour.

jedi Larry said:
Washington, D.C., Denver, Houston, Buffalo, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, Philadelphia and Kansas City. Each stadium can hold at least 60,000 spectators.

Just looking at it, U2 could fill stadiums in D.C.,Denver, and Philly.

Alot depends on how many other places you play also. If they limted it to say, a handful of stadium shows in the largest markets, they could fill them.

I'm not sure I'd book a stadium show in Green bay, Kansas City, or Buffalo if I were U2 though.

You can overbook a stadium tour.

Well, playing Stadium shows in DC or Philly certainly is not going to effect the sales of a stadium show in Miami or Dallas. But nearby markets such as Washington DC and Philly do effect each other. But I can already tell you that based on what happened today, U2 could play multiple stadium show in both Washington DC and Philly.

Out of a couple dozen friends going for tickets this morning, only 1 person got a ticket!

oh please no, I'd rather do this than have stadiums, horrible, no one in the back sees anything, its useless even going. More arena dates, they could just stay put in Vegas like Celine Dion and have us come to them from all over the world. They could stay put a year and never have to tour.

NO stadiums, please Bono, no.

Back
Top Bottom