Extra dates in addition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
personally i don' t think Europe or America deserve more shows... sure i'd love them but i think the rest of the world needs them a bit more.

I was chatting to a friend in South Africa, told him i was going to HI (before the canx) - he was pissed that a tiny island like that gets a show but South Africa gets nothing.
unfortunately though it doesn't make financial sense - the cost of trekking all the way out there with equipment is hardly balanced by the profits (or lack of) they'd make off a weak currency :shrug:
sad but true.

despite the financial implications though, if they add dates and countries i'd personally rather they hit the places that haven't seen them in ages - Eastern Europe, more aussie/NZ shows and Japan too, and a stop in South Africa again (i would so go home to see that!) rather than going back to either Euro or US both of which have had ample opportunity to see them already.

Okay, I've been made U2's tour guru for this final leg. This is what I'd do:

Do the aussie/nz/japan shows and add dates if they're still selling well.

Add a date in seoul. Add a date in manila.....hell if Avril Lavigne can play there so can U2! :madspit:

Add a date in Indonesia.....many westerners have played Ankara.

Don't play China or Singapore under any circumstances. The chinese are commies and the singaporean gov't are crony capitalists.

Play a few dates in India.

Play a few eastern european dates.

And finally.......play MOSCOW already!

<<Moscow>>

A tour ending show near the parliment building in the middle of December is brilliant idea. U2 would need to be dressed like the NYD video.

u2fp

jedi Larry said:
The chinese are commies and the singaporean gov't are crony capitalists.

They still deserve u2 shows! Hell... my political beliefs are somewhat formed from marxist theory and i am still a u2 fan!

peter, they have indoor arenas in Moscow. :madspit:

Wang Chung, of course you deserve to see U2, but both China and Singapore would verbally-neuter the U2 we know and love. Who wants to see a U2-lite show?

jedi Larry said:
both China and Singapore would verbally-neuter the U2 we know and love.

Yeah, I can just imagine the People's Army troops marching on stage to arrest Bono when he starts talking about Tibet during SBS, that'd be cool.

What would happen to them in Singapore? Would they turn off the electricity if Bono said Fuck, or if he started spitting or chewing gum?

jedi Larry said:
peter, they have indoor arenas in Moscow. :madspit:

Wang Chung, of course you deserve to see U2, but both China and Singapore would verbally-neuter the U2 we know and love. Who wants to see a U2-lite show?

I thought there was a statement about being finished with the indoor vertigo shows.

How many times have there been western stadium concerts in some of these cities mentioned?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
How many times have there been western stadium concerts in some of these cities mentioned?

Didn't Wham play in Beijing?

Oh, maybe that was an indoor show, I have to go back and take a look at my "Freedom" video.

That's the video where the Chinese soldiers were beating up the kids when they tried to dance.

Moscow hasn't really had any real stadium concerts, as far as I know. They had that gigantic Metallica show back in 1991, but that was held at the airport, due to the massive crowd.

I think the stadiums and security apparatuses in those countries aren't up to snuff, yet, but I expect Beijing's new Olympic Stadium to be state-of-the-art, so maybe U2 could play there after 2008 (assuming Tibet is free).

Billy Joel and McCartney played big shows in Moscow. Also, that Bon Jovi/Motley Crue mtv thing in the late 80's.

Michael jackson did lots of stadium shows in weird places in the mid 90's.

Did Metallica play stadiums on their recent international tourdates?

u2fp

Yeah, I forgot, but McCartney played in Red Square, and Billy Joel only played indoor arenas in Moscow, Leningrad (Petersburg) and Tblisi (!).

I don't think the main Moscow football stadium is able to host big rock concerts at the moment, but look at this:

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/07/13/abrstadium.shtml

I don't think they allow concerts in Red Square anymore, so U2 might have to wait until that new stadium is built before they can bring their next gigantic outdoor production there.

edgeboy said:
I think they need to come back to texas and give us
more than two stinkin shows.:|

I think they need to stop playing the USA at all so that you lot finally have something genuine to complain about. :|

Axver said:

I think they need to stop playing the USA at all so that you lot finally have something genuine to complain about. :|

:rolleyes:

Is that anything like when someone complains that someone else is posting the songs to fast over them in a setlist thread?

Just curious.

However much I desire to see U2 in a real venue instead of a shitty suckfest stadium I think the rest of the world deserve some shows. Its about time that U2 learns that there are places to play beside western Europe and America.

There were rumors of U2 playing Fenway park in Boston this summer. I havent heard anything on that in a while though.

i hope they play a 3rd melbourne show but this time at the MCG it wasent free this past weekend beacuse of the commonwealth games but between september 30th(AFL grand final) and december 26th (3rd 3 mobile ashes test) its free.

zepher25 said:
i hope they play a 3rd melbourne show but this time at the MCG it wasent free this past weekend beacuse of the commonwealth games but between september 30th(AFL grand final) and december 26th (3rd 3 mobile ashes test) its free.

I second that! It would be awesome to see them at the MCG.

By all accounts, the MCG has crap sound quality and is not a good venue for concerts.

4U2Play said:

Yeah, I can just imagine the People's Army troops marching on stage to arrest Bono when he starts talking about Tibet during SBS, that'd be cool.

What would happen to them in Singapore? Would they turn off the electricity if Bono said Fuck, or if he started spitting or chewing gum?

This is such a sterotypical image the western world has of singapore... U can spit or say fuck 100x and no...the electricity wun be turned off. There is no censorhsip of the shows.. There're so many bands that came pass here before doing as they please..

-_-

Muad'zin said:
However much I desire to see U2 in a real venue instead of a shitty suckfest stadium I think the rest of the world deserve some shows. Its about time that U2 learns that there are places to play beside western Europe and America.

Money is to be made in the US and Europe..:shrug:

While I don't think U2 will add any shows that aren't in/near Australia/Japan/New Zealand, I do think eastern and southern Europe ought to get some shows sometime in the future.

That said, the part of the world that seriously needs U2 shows is Asia. Have they ever played there, apart from Japan? (excluding China) Russia, Singapore if nothing else.

djerdap said:

Using Ireland, U2's home country as an example of U2's love for Europe is very, very wrong.
The whole Eastern Europe got no concerts from U2.
America got 80 concerts this year.
So please... don't tell me that Europe didn't deserve more.

EU (not even counting rest of Europe) has a bigger population than US, that should count for something in touring. I also think southern/eastern Europe countries aren't doing as bad economically as they were, say, when communism fell in the early 90s.

Also, apart from US, everyone else has gotten stadium shows since Popmart. The demand is clearly there, and the ROW fans have enough buying power.

Not to mention how hard U2 has to work to get anywhere in US market.

Yes more people saw U2 in Europe than US this tour, only because the band hasn't decided to play stadiums in America. That said, I think US legs got better setlists hands down.

:shrug:

So I don't see the "Europeans stop complaining" point of view.

U2girl said:
That said, the part of the world that seriously needs U2 shows is Asia. Have they ever played there, apart from Japan? (excluding China) Russia, Singapore if nothing else.

If you count Tel Aviv as being in Asia, then they've played somewhere in Asia other than Japan. Otherwise, no.

It's as if they aren't aware places like Singapore, India, Russia, South Korea, and Thailand exist.

Axver said:

It's as if they aren't aware places like Singapore, India, Russia, South Korea, and Thailand exist.

I agree with you on this. The interesting thing is that they had intended to play in Southeast Asia, along with New Zealand and Hawaii, on the 1998 Popmart tour, but those shows never materialized. The 1997 tour program, at least the version I got in Las Vegas, listed the 1997 itinerary, as confirmed at the time it was printed, and also listed the places they were going to play in 1998, of which the 3 locations I listed were along with the ones that they actually did play.

Imagine U2 touring without North America and visiting the whole(i mean WHOLE) Europe(it has 47 countries), South America(11), Asia(excluding China and Russia's part, many countries) and Australia and New Zealand(maybe now, when Axver's back, that'll give him the power to visit all shows down under).

And let's not forget Africa.
Bono always loves and loved Africa, like America in 1987, but the whole African continent had less than 10 shows, maybe less than five(don't know actually).
Can someone explain why?

Last edited:
I think Americans are spoiled now in terms of arena shows. Stadium shows are an event, but let's face it, we have now had two big tours of arena shows here, with GA available for under 50 US dollars.

We are very very lucky.

Is the US still the most profitable market for U2 shows?

It was definitely true on past tours, inlcuding Europe being 50ish% the price of tickets in 2001, what's the current status?

I'm blown away that they sold all tickets to Europe/S.A/Mexico and Down under at full retail u2 worldwide price.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom