Ellipse lottery no luck needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WildHoneyAlways said:

Well, I get premium tickets/seats to Cubs games and White Sox games because I know someone that works for them. Same difference really. People use "who they know" in every aspect of life and shouldn't have to justify it to anyone. It has nothing to do with the lottery which I have complained about.

Thats not the same at all.
It has everything to do with the so called lottery or random selction process that seems to be selective in letting in the same fans all the time.
Just read on the show reviews same people same positions front row ellipse.

U2Girl1978 said:

If they got a wristband by being by the soundboard is that considered a dirty tactic?

I wouldnt say so (who mentioned dirty tactics??)as the gig is usually started by the time they are given out. Or about to start.
Thats just luck getting one then this issue is nothing to do with luck.
:eyebrow:

Last edited:
I agree that manipulating the scanning is wrong.
I've personally been scanned in twice, neither time I was wearing a low cut shirt. (Damn! I should have tried that! )
BUT! Once you don't get scanned and then someone gets you a wristband is a whole different story.

I guess I'm just extremely oblivious to this whole thing. Anytime I had GA I never noticed anything remotely sneaky. I know not everyone loves the lottery but at least we got to see U2 this year. :up: Shouldn't that make up for what has gone on? :shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:

Well, I get premium tickets/seats to Cubs games and White Sox games because I know someone that works for them. Same difference really. People use "who they know" in every aspect of life and shouldn't have to justify it to anyone. It has nothing to do with the lottery which I have complained about.

:yes:

these kind of perks always happen - but in the end it pays (in every aspect - not just at a u2 concert) just to be genuinely nice to others and not to have a sense of entitlement that you deserve have the perks (best fan, wealthy, just because I walk the earth reasons).

I think that the Vertigo Crew (u2's people) really do try very hard to be fair to the fans in light of the randomness of the ellipse entry. Of course they will recognize some of the regular fans but I really don't think that is such a big deal. Most (not all) have proven to be gracious in front of the band.

My best case idea for u2.com fan club is to have each fan be able to purchase two GA's for show that guarantees ellipse entry - the rest of the tickets would be scanned on a random basis. Sure some would get in more than that but at least everyone would have one shot

If any of you guys come to the hospital I work at I'll hook you up with some excellent perks:wink:

U2Girl1978 said:
I guess I'm just extremely oblivious to this whole thing. Anytime I had GA I never noticed anything remotely sneaky. I know not everyone loves the lottery but at least we got to see U2 this year. :up: Shouldn't that make up for what has gone on? :shrug:

I think because I had read so much about this scanning we didnt have it here in Europe not that it would have worked in an 80,000 stadium, I was just watching what was going on on both nights.
From what I saw I knew that we wouldnt get scanned in and indeed we didnt on the Sunday but we got a great spot on the rail on the outside of the ellipse.
On the Monday night my ticket did scan in but myself and another girl were complaining loudly when Allison was stood there and some other security about the same fans getting in over and over again and how some of them in our queues their tickets werent getting the Vertigo sign but magically had on an ellipse wristband!

If I had to watch this going on at all the Vertigo gigs I have been to this year I would have kicked off big time thank god for stadium shows!!!

This is the last post I'll ever make the lottery because I've already said enough and the lottery is over so it's not worth it anymore.

But as soon as they implemented this lottery system it gave fans an opportunity to take advantage of the system. Whenever something like this is in place, people will try to work the system, cheat the system, make friends with who they need to make friends with and do whatever they can to make it inside. But I don't think you can really blame the people doing it, if you're friends with someone who can get you inside you'd be a nut to say no.

The only reason I got into the ellipse the last time was because I knew if you asked nicely they might let you bring in more than what they're supposed to. If I didn't know that then I would have been 0 for 8. So am I at fault for knowing that to get me into the ellipse? It's not fair that some people have more information that could get them into the ellipse, but that is the lottery's fault. The lottery allows for a lot of things that aren't fair to happen, and that's why I have been against it all along. First come, first serve is the only truly fair system they could implement.

I do have to say it's a bit odd that they implemented this system because of the people who go to tons of show and they wanted new people in the ellipse, but then they do sometimes give out wristbands to the "regulars."

Last edited:
nurse chrissi said:

:yes:

these kind of perks always happen - but in the end it pays (in every aspect - not just at a u2 concert) just to be genuinely nice to others and not to have a sense of entitlement that you deserve have the perks (best fan, wealthy, just because I walk the earth reasons).

I think that the Vertigo Crew (u2's people) really do try very hard to be fair to the fans in light of the randomness of the ellipse entry. Of course they will recognize some of the regular fans but I really don't think that is such a big deal. Most (not all) have proven to be gracious in front of the band.

My best case idea for u2.com fan club is to have each fan be able to purchase two GA's for show that guarantees ellipse entry - the rest of the tickets would be scanned on a random basis. Sure some would get in more than that but at least everyone would have one shot

If any of you guys come to the hospital I work at I'll hook you up with some excellent perks:wink:

So because some can go to 20/30 plus shows you should get preferential treatment above all othe other thousands of U2 fans that maybe because of where they live can only get to one show?
I think thats shocking!!

And theres' being nice and being nice!!!Fairness doesnt come into it.

Bono's Tart said:

Missed the point again!

You are one of the poeple on here who shout the loudest about " line cutters" and the lottery, I'm glad that you dont mind waiting for hours then watching about 20/30 people walking up in front of you, then to add insult to injury ALL getting mysteriously scanned in and you dont.
Good for you!!

We know that some wristbands are kept back it happened on the previous tour, for various reasons but all this was going on while the fan club and gen adm lines were still coming in about an hour before Institute came on.

Next time I'm wearing the plunging tops it seems to have the desired effect! :huh:

well you're not doing a very good job of explaining the so called point... are you bitching about the scanning or people getting wristbands because they know someone? two different issues all together...

as for 20 to 30 people getting in front of me who didn't wait all day? yea... that would piss me off. i only waited in the GA line once... in philly. got there at 8:30 in the morning, and got one horrific sunburn from the experience... to the point where when i would show people my sunburned leg the reaction would normaly be something along the lines of "oh my god!"

and it was all worth it... even though i didn't get "scanned in." i ended up having a terrific spot on the rail. and did it piss me off to see a good friend of mine who i knew didn't wait one second on the GA line waving at me from inside the ellipse? nope... not at all. :shrug:

the GA line was a great experience... everyone was cool, we looked after each other's spots so that someone could go get some food, go to the bathroom, go try to meet the band, etc. etc. as long as no one abused the system it was all good. close to show time some people tried sneaking their way into the front of the GA line... and they were booed by everbody and chanted at until finally security came over and told them to go to the end of the line. it was friggin awesome.

in new jersey i had GA but didn't feel like waiting all day and further damaging my sunburned legs, so i chilled and came in... scanners were closed by the time i got there, so i just hung out by the soundboard... almost got into the ellipse when paul mcguinness came around and gave wristbands to me and the people i was with, but low and behold, drunken paul mcguinness gave us the wrong wristbands... so we didn't get in. made for one hell of a story though.

i finally made it inside the ellipse for two shows in october and one in november at madison square garden. did i scan in? nope... never even went through the scanners.

so i've experienced all three things that people seem to be bitching about... i've waited around all day and not gotten in to the ellipse, i walked into the building literaly as they were shutting down the scanners, and i've gotten into the ellipse with "help" from tour staffers... one in particular.

did i feel cheated when i didn't get in but saw my friend who was partying all day inside? nope... did i feel like i was cheating someone when i was given a wristband despite not doing the GA line wait? no...

:shrug: but i guess that's just me. the system is what it is. it's not the best system by any stretch... springsteen and pearl jam do it so much better tha u2 does... but it is what it is.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

well you're not doing a very good job of explaining the so called point... are you bitching about the scanning or people getting wristbands because they know someone? two different issues all together...

as for 20 to 30 people getting in front of me who didn't wait all day? yea... that would piss me off. i only waited in the GA line once... in philly. got there at 8:30 in the morning, and got one horrific sunburn from the experience... to the point where when i would show people my sunburned leg the reaction would normaly be something along the lines of "oh my god!"

and it was all worth it... even though i didn't get "scanned in." i ended up having a terrific spot on the rail. and did it piss me off to see a good friend of mine who i knew didn't wait one second on the GA line waving at me from inside the ellipse? nope... not at all. :shrug:

the GA line was a great experience... everyone was cool, we looked after each other's spots so that someone could go get some food, go to the bathroom, go try to meet the band, etc. etc. as long as no one abused the system it was all good. close to show time some people tried sneaking their way into the front of the GA line... and they were booed by everbody and chanted at until finally security came over and told them to go to the end of the line. it was friggin awesome.

in new jersey i had GA but didn't feel like waiting all day and further damaging my sunburned legs, so i chilled and came in... scanners were closed by the time i got there, so i just hung out by the soundboard... almost got into the ellipse when paul mcguinness came around and gave wristbands to me and the people i was with, but low and behold, drunken paul mcguinness gave us the wrong wristbands... so we didn't get in. made for one hell of a story though.

i finally made it inside the ellipse for two shows in october and one in november at madison square garden. did i scan in? nope... never even went through the scanners.

so i've experienced all three things that people seem to be bitching about... i've waited around all day and not gotten in to the ellipse, i walked into the building literaly as they were shutting down the scanners, and i've gotten into the ellipse with "help" from tour staffers... one in particular.

did i feel cheated when i didn't get in but saw my friend who was partying all day inside? nope... did i feel like i was cheating someone when i was given a wristband despite not doing the GA line wait? no...

:shrug: but i guess that's just me. the system is what it is. it's not the best system by any stretch... springsteen and pearl jam do it so much better tha u2 does... but it is what it is.

:scratch: :tsk:

Bully for you!!

Last edited:
I don't understand what the problem is. Bono's Tart are you going to harp on this all the time? The lottery sucks we know. The tour is over. Let's move on and stop talking about how everyone was screwed. This is ridiculous.

Bono's Tart said:

So because some can go to 20/30 plus shows you should get preferential treatment above all othe other thousands of U2 fans that maybe because of where they live can only get to one show?
I think thats shocking!!

And theres' being nice and being nice!!!Fairness doesnt come into it.

I am totally with Bono's Tart on this one. I was at both of those Boston shows in December. I was towards the front of the U2.com line both nights and saw exactly what Bono's Tart is talking about. Some at the front of the non U2.com line were turning and telling their friends not to worry that they were all in. I saw them being all let in without scanning. I didnt mind so much the first night because the flag thing they planned was really cool but the second night they did it again! I was towards the front again and they were all in the opposite line and I saw Allison come down the stairs, one of them grabbed her and whispered something in her ear and Allison nodded and walked away. Then this person turned to the rest of their group and said " We are all in again don't worry about it". I didn't scan in either night and it was my local show which wasn't fair at all. As much as I would like to I don't have the money or the ability to go to 20 plus shows and I feel that I was cheated because they go to so many shows and they take away other people's chances of getting in to the ellipse.
I thought the whole point of the lottery was to prevent the same people from being up front every night.

Ulemongrl2 said:

I I was towards the front again and they were all in the opposite line and I saw Allison come down the stairs, one of them grabbed her and whispered something in her ear and Allison nodded and walked away. Then this person turned to the rest of their group and said " We are all in again don't worry about it".

If the above did happen Allison should not be doing that job anymore. That is appaling.

Chizip said:
This is the last post I'll ever make the lottery because I've already said enough and the lottery is over so it's not worth it anymore.

But as soon as they implemented this lottery system it gave fans an opportunity to take advantage of the system. Whenever something like this is in place, people will try to work the system, cheat the system, make friends with who they need to make friends with and do whatever they can to make it inside. But I don't think you can really blame the people doing it, if you're friends with someone who can get you inside you'd be a nut to say no.

The only reason I got into the ellipse the last time was because I knew if you asked nicely they might let you bring in more than what they're supposed to. If I didn't know that then I would have been 0 for 8. So am I at fault for knowing that to get me into the ellipse? It's not fair that some people have more information that could get them into the ellipse, but that is the lottery's fault. The lottery allows for a lot of things that aren't fair to happen, and that's why I have been against it all along. First come, first serve is the only truly fair system they could implement.

I do have to say it's a bit odd that they implemented this system because of the people who go to tons of show and they wanted new people in the ellipse, but then they do sometimes give out wristbands to the "regulars."

:ohmy: As much as it pains me to say this, I agree with Chizip. :wink:

I think the system is inherently unfair, with a lot of potential for abuse, but on the other hand, I don't blame the people getting in at all. If they know how to work the system, more power to them. It's up to those running the line (Allison and her crew) to maintain the integrity of the process, and if she's unwilling to do that, there's not much we can do other than to diss her on message boards. :wink:

If I hadn't done the soundboard thing, I would have been 0 for 8 as well (or 0 for 16, if you want to look at it that way, because there were two of us attending each show). As it was, I got in twice, but never by scanning in.

My main problem with the way things were set up was not that I didn't scan in, but the few times that I went later and the computers were put away, and as such, my chance to scan in was taken away. :shrug:

I also think it's awfully presumptuous of people to imply that stating your opinion on one problematic aspect of the shows means that you're a complainer, or that you didn't enjoy yourself. Those 8 nights rocked my world, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

U2Girl1978 said:
I don't understand what the problem is. Bono's Tart are you going to harp on this all the time? The lottery sucks we know. The tour is over. Let's move on and stop talking about how everyone was screwed. This is ridiculous.

I am not harping on although I am just as entitled as you to harp on!!! I am well aware the tour is over I dont want to see this sort of crap happening again.

Solution for you ?

Dont read the thread!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ulemongrl2 said:

I am totally with Bono's Tart on this one. I was at both of those Boston shows in December. I was towards the front of the U2.com line both nights and saw exactly what Bono's Tart is talking about. Some at the front of the non U2.com line were turning and telling their friends not to worry that they were all in. I saw them being all let in without scanning. I didnt mind so much the first night because the flag thing they planned was really cool but the second night they did it again! I was towards the front again and they were all in the opposite line and I saw Allison come down the stairs, one of them grabbed her and whispered something in her ear and Allison nodded and walked away. Then this person turned to the rest of their group and said " We are all in again don't worry about it". I didn't scan in either night and it was my local show which wasn't fair at all. As much as I would like to I don't have the money or the ability to go to 20 plus shows and I feel that I was cheated because they go to so many shows and they take away other people's chances of getting in to the ellipse.
I thought the whole point of the lottery was to prevent the same people from being up front every night.

Thanks for that I thought it was only me that had taken note.

Although who I am talking about weren't involved in the flag ship (a few of whom I know one very well) but I do know for a fact that they just got in the ellipse.

VintagePunk said:

:ohmy: As much as it pains me to say this, I agree with Chizip. :wink:

I think the system is inherently unfair, with a lot of potential for abuse, but on the other hand, I don't blame the people getting in at all. If they know how to work the system, more power to them. It's up to those running the line (Allison and her crew) to maintain the integrity of the process, and if she's unwilling to do that, there's not much we can do other than to diss her on message boards. :wink:

If I hadn't done the soundboard thing, I would have been 0 for 8 as well (or 0 for 16, if you want to look at it that way, because there were two of us attending each show). As it was, I got in twice, but never by scanning in.

My main problem with the way things were set up was not that I didn't scan in, but the few times that I went later and the computers were put away, and as such, my chance to scan in was taken away. :shrug:

I also think it's awfully presumptuous of people to imply that stating your opinion on one problematic aspect of the shows means that you're a complainer, or that you didn't enjoy yourself. Those 8 nights rocked my world, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I am not dissing this woman I had never heard of her until I went to the Boston shows she is only an employee but maybe not for much longer after this.

Its always the same on here if you express an opinion thats not the same as certain others on here you are a complainer unbeleivable!
I'v been to 12 shows this tour and like you would do them all again but with Boston I would have tackled it differently knowing what I know now!

Ulemongrl2 said:

i was in the non-u2.com line and i was one of the flaggers.
bono's tart has laready said she's not talking about us but Lemongrl clearly is so i wanna clear this up a bit.

the conversation you overheard about "don't worry you're in" was regarding the 2 of us who had never been to a US show before. it was agreed (very kindly) amongst this large group of 14 of us that if anyone scanned in they would pull me or the other girl in before anyone else as we had never been before. So it was really a reassurance that "dont worry, out of all of us you guys are in first if we scan". and luckily for me my friend ahead of me scanned VERTIGO and pulled me in with her!
amazing the yarns you can spin from picking up snippets of anothers conversation.:eyebrow:

and the next night we weren't all even in the ellipse as far as i know, let alone the front row so that goes against any theories that allison let us in.
i think maybe because so many faces were familiar in the ellipse on night 2 form the 1st night, that you're presuming it was all one big bunch of us while in fact there wre probably 3-4 different sets of people who were in the ellipse both nights so it's unfair to lay the blame at the feet of one specific group.

and really, most of us aren't exactly what i would call concert regulars either. in fact a lot of us had travelled from Europe just for these shows and for several of us it was our first and only american shows. so its unfair to link us in to your theory that regulars who know staff took your ellipse spot because in our case (the flag group) thats clearly not the story at all.

Bono's Tart said:

I am not dissing this woman I had never heard of her until I went to the Boston shows she is only an employee but maybe not for much longer after this.

Its always the same on here if you express an opinion thats not the same as certain others on here you are a complainer unbeleivable!
I'v been to 12 shows this tour and like you would do them all again but with Boston I would have tackled it differently knowing what I know now!

I didn't mean to imply that you were dissing her, if that's what you think? I'm really not sure. However, I am dissing her. I don't like the way she has run things, plain and simple. Her attitude has also been very unprofessional at times. Not an ideal person to be representing the band, in my opinion.

Thats why I made it plain that I wasnt talking about the flag ship as such.

I mean the regular concert GA ers off this site who have abused the system to the detriment of others.

But apparently thats ok!
:shrug: :shrug:

VintagePunk said:

I didn't mean to imply that you were dissing her, if that's what you think? I'm really not sure. However, I am dissing her. I don't like the way she has run things, plain and simple. Her attitude has also been very unprofessional at times. Not an ideal person to be representing the band, in my opinion.

Sorry if I took your comment wrongly.

From what I saw I definately agree with you, the ball is rolling so to speak!

At least on this upcoming last leg it wont be an issue.

Bono's Tart said:
Thats why I made it plain that I wasnt talking about the flag ship as such.

yeah i know, thanks,
but a lot of other people are

Digsy, don't even hurt your head over this issue. We, the Boston Flagship, all know that we got into the ellipse the legitimate way. I knew that once we were all in, people would either not believe us or make up their own story about how it happened. All I have to say is that the U2 gods were with us that night. What's funny is that, even within the Flagship group, that statement "Don't worry, we're all in..." had different meanings. For me, it was just positive reinforcement that we are all going to get scanned in and we shouldn't have anxiety over the situation. You know like the power of suggestion, "if you build it, they would come" kinda thing. :shrug: Anyhoo, I thought this was a dead issue since the tour is over.

Now, if others are talking about the "regulars" who are mostly (I won't use the word "always") get in the ellipse, on the front rail.... :hmm: I am pretty sure I know who you're referring to. Should they be faulted that the system itself is faulted and they figured out how to work around the system faster, quicker, easier? Yes, I agree it's unfair, but so is life.

Chizip, I'm glad you finally got into the ellipse. :up: Hope you get in again in Portland, by luck or...otherwise :wink:

Ulemongrl2 said:

I was towards the front again and they were all in the opposite line and I saw Allison come down the stairs, one of them grabbed her and whispered something in her ear and Allison nodded and walked away. Then this person turned to the rest of their group and said " We are all in again don't worry about it". ...I thought the whole point of the lottery was to prevent the same people from being up front every night.

This has been conveniently glossed over, by ppl retracting from accusing the flag bearers.

Ok, if it wasn't the flag bearers, which Interferencers WAS it?

Lets get this out, and now, or stop the whining.

Back
Top Bottom