Elevation and Vertigo made from Popmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I heard somewhere that the stages for the Elevation and Vertigo tours were made from parts of the Popmart arch...is this true?

No.

It's just the resemblance between the Popmart arch and the Elevation heart. If you lay that arch down it looks a bit like the Elevation heart.
But that's where it ends though.

:)

U2FanPeter said:
The Elevation mainstage was used in 1987/1989 for arena shows.

I don't think it was. The Elevation stage was custom built, with the vidiwall and such.

There would have been some welding to fit the vidiwall and new coat of paint.

The split level design(raised sides that cover dallas and the bass tech underworld) do look remarkably similar.

I heard that the band have had that stage in storage since the 80's. All the lights/electronics/hanging gridwork are rentals. Some bands rent out the stages they own to other touring groups)

I don't know if U2 own the prototype PA used in 2001/2005 and prototype screens used in 1992 and 2001.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
There would have been some welding to fit the vidiwall and new coat of paint.

The split level design(raised sides that cover dallas and the bass tech underworld) do look remarkably similar.

I heard that the band have had that stage in storage since the 80's. All the lights/electronics/hanging gridwork are rentals. Some bands rent out the stages they own to other touring groups)

I don't know if U2 own the prototype PA used in 2001/2005 and prototype screens used in 1992 and 2001.

u2fp

Willie did say back in 2001 that the basic stage was going back to the Joshua Tree era for Elevation. Not sure if he meant the actual stage or not though. At the very least the concept was inspired by the JT tour and LT tour stage designed with modifications obviously (IE the heart ramps and the screen behind). Although really, the Lovetown tour had a projection backdrop to it, so that was similiar, sort of a low tech version of it. :shrug:

Yeh i herard that the heart came from Bono drawing a sketch which had the popmart arch laid out on the popmart stage, and the plan was then 2 fill it in. But this would be a massive stage, almost too big, and no way it would all be useful, esp as larry wouldn't be mobile. So they agreed to gcut bits out of it.

I remember reading that part of the elevation stage was used for vertigo,

but not the popmart arch.

Ellay said:
I remember reading that part of the elevation stage was used for vertigo,

but not the popmart arch.

http://www.u2faqs.com/live/

15. What happened to the giant lemon used during PopMart?

In an interview with Willie Williams in Q magazine in the Fall of 2002, Willie revealed that The PopMart Lemon is in pieces stored in three different warehouses in Belgium. The giant olive and toothpick were revealed to be in storage in Dublin. It had been previously revealed that the arch had been deconstructed and used to make up portions of the heart shaped stage during the Elevation tour.

I've heard that they kept all the painted trabants, with some being at the R&RHOF in Cleveland. Or they there in the past decade, since they may rotate exhibits.

u2fp

--The Vertigo stage is not made from the Popmart arch, nor the Elevation stage in any way.

--The outdoor Vertigo stage IS made from parts of the indoor stage.

--The Elevation stage WAS made from the pre-existing Joshua Tree arena stage, which in turn is the same as the Love Town arena stage. There were of course edits including the curved back where the top of the heart was, the area near the screen, and of course the heart. The base and the rectilinear ramps are the same as both JT and LT.

Speaking of stages - has anyone seen the latest Aerosmith stage. Now I am not a fan, but what I find interesting is that Steven Tyler went to a Vertigo show and they tried to get the MiSpheres, but ran out of time. The layout is basically a copy of Vertigo with some different materials used. Just goes to show how innovative (and powerful) the U2 camp is.

Miricale_Drug said:
Yeh i herard that the heart came from Bono drawing a sketch which had the popmart arch laid out on the popmart stage, and the plan was then 2 fill it in. But this would be a massive stage, almost too big, and no way it would all be useful, esp as larry wouldn't be mobile. So they agreed to gcut bits out of it.

yea you're right, except that it was Adam who drew the sketch. :)

Back
Top Bottom