El Clinton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I wonder if Bono will mention at a show or two that Bill Clinton has just announced his foundation will donate $10Mil for pediatric AIDS meds in Africa.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/04/11/clinton.aids/index.html

I'm amazed--according to the article, he's arranged for a year's supply of drugs to cost a mere $140/year. I wonder if DATA is involved at all.

This seems like something worth mentioning at a show, since Bill is once again loved by a good chunk of America & I think people might get inspired....

Good for Clinton, but $10 million doesn't sound like very much, really. U2 will make $10 million over the next week doing 5 shows.

Giving cheap AIDS cocktails to the poor is good, of course, but maybe Clinton should instead pay for a condom factory in Harare, followed up by the building of re-education camps to teach everyone that sex with virgins (ie. young girls) without using condoms is contributing to the spread of the virus.

Bono is doing the right thing by trying to raise awareness of this vital issue (it is said that over 25% of the population of Zimbabwe is HIV+), but I think he's facing an uphill battle... a lot of people in the industrial countries are suffering from "charity fatigue": poor nations constantly begging for money to solve problems that never seem to ever get solved.

As long as you have idiots like Mbeke in South Africa and Mugabe in Zimbabwe running the show, combined with deeply entrenched sexual mores that date back centuries, HIV will continue is rapid spread through the southern Africa populations, no matter how much money Clinton or Bono give to them.

Why do we never hear about AIDS in North Africa?

Answer: Most North Africans are Muslims, and are taught not to philander... hence, a very low rate of AIDS.

God bless Bono for making the effort, at least someone is kicking up a fuss about it.

I don't know how to touch most of that. But as for the "poor countries constantly begging for money," that statement just doesn't stand on its own legs. While some governments may look for charity, many people who live in the countries ruled by those governments would like to be able to get by on their own. That's why Bono, in fighting his uphill battle, has created Edun with his wife. By helping start companies and industries that don't exploit poorer people, but instead teach them and give them the chance to make it on their own, we can help people carry themselves up the hill. "Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

True, there may be some cultural or societal changes that need to be made in various areas, but the same can be said across the world--not just "all of Africa but North Africa." Helping to improve the quality of life is perhaps the best way to fundamentally change negative practices.

As for the "small amount" of $10 Million, every drop in the bucket helps.

Last edited:
For all the naysayers and Clinton haters, don't hate the playa, hate the game!

UToo, you are absolutely correct in everything you said. Having lived in Africa for awhile, I know first hand that most people there resent being dependent on handouts from the richer nations, and would much prefer to be self-sufficient... it's a matter of pride, naturally.

The problem is that many southern African countries are run by some of the worst criminals on the planet, these guys don't give two shits about most of their subjects, mainly because of the tribalism that still exists there, which demands that each country's leader take care of his tribe first (similar to the way Saddam ran Iraq).

I still think that many leaders and thinkers in the industrialized nations are having second thoughts about throwing money at these corrupt regimes, even for such a vital issue as HIV prevention. I've read that many of these donors are now attaching strings to their handouts, such as democratic reform of their governments, equal rights for women, accounting standards improved, banking system opened up, etc....... some people call this "globalization".

The Bush Administration has promised to donate $200 million to an African AIDS fund, but they were criticized because it "wasn't enough". This is true... South Africa alone has over 5 million impoverished HIV patients, requiring a government layout of $1.5 billion A YEAR, even for the discounted drugs. But it seems a bit rude to criticize a nation that promises to give you a hell of a lot of money to help save lives. I would get pissed, too, if I gave a homeless guy a dollar, then have him get mad at me and call me a cheapskate. "Hey buddy, fuck you, that's the last time I give money to one of you guys". I think a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, feel this way when these third world dictatorships criticize us for not giving them everything they demand.

Yes, Clinton's foundation should be commended for donating money to Africa, clap clap clap. Bono is a saint for trying to make some of us fans aware of what's going on in Africa, at least for a few minutes until they play cool song. But, let's be honest, $10 million won't make a dent, this issue is massive, requiring wholesale societal reform down the most intimate level. Can we affect that kind of change? Ultimately, no. The Africans themselves will have to make those kinds of changes.... self-help, right?

I'm pessimistic about it, yes, I'm afraid that only after millions of people die off over the 20 years will southern African leaders get their shit together and really try to do something about it, because these morons that are in power there right now are completely hopeless and are the real culprits in this sickening disaster.

Another Day said:
Good for Clinton, but $10 million doesn't sound like very much, really. U2 will make $10 million over the next week doing 5 shows.

Giving cheap AIDS cocktails to the poor is good, of course, but maybe Clinton should instead pay for a condom factory in Harare, followed up by the building of re-education camps to teach everyone that sex with virgins (ie. young girls) without using condoms is contributing to the spread of the virus.

Clinton is NOT the US government any more; he doesn't have access to massive amounts of money. This is all private fundraising, remember, so $10M is nothing to sneeze at.

Back
Top Bottom