Edge: "We are very under-rehearsed"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfu2doc

The Fly
Yikes. Weren't they very under-rehearsed at the beginning of Popmart? I was there in vegas. Great show, but some of the songs were flat, not like the last half of that tour.

Let's hope Edge is exaggerating

From U2.com

Showtime Minus Two Days
It’s about creating that ‘magic’ explains Bono, as the band make final preparations for ‘Vertigo//2005’

‘What I think rock ‘n roll has always been about,’ explains Bono, taking a break from final rehearsals to talk to U2.Com. "Is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.’

"It’s amazing to get to this point,’ adds Adam, but not without some anxiety: "Another tour, here we are doing it again."

And then, with a laugh, he says, "And every time it comes round we forget how we did it the last time!"

In fact, chimes Edge, this may not be the problem that it might appear to be.

"If you know what you are doing, you’re doing something wrong!," he suggests. "Rock’n roll cannot be easy - when the sound of rock n roll is easy it’s awful."

And preparing for a tour which is set to last nine months was never going to be easy ­ it has to be a challenge.

"There has to be an element of jeopardy and at this point we are pushing the envelope of jeopardy, we are very under-rehearsed, it’s a scramble to get it together.’

But everyone keeps in mind what is possible from a great rock’n’roll show, says Edge, recalling a Bruce Springsteen show from many years ago when he realised the "incredible cathartic experience that is possible in a rock n roll concert".

And that’s what we’re after when we play live, says Bono, that something will happen which is more than we can imagine.

"You don’t know why or how but something magic happens for the four of us
and that is what we framed our whole band around.
" We call it magic, and we are strung out on that idea - that music can be transcendent, something that will take you out of yourself."

And with that the band have to get back to rehearsals.

We’ll have more interviews and behind the scenes stories on the tour countdown regularly.

Keep checking back.

If you think about it, they have been playing together for the last few months and sounded great at the R+R Hall of Fame, so even if they haven't had much time to practice the set list, they do appear to have it together.

If this is under-rehearsed, I can't wait to hear them when they hit their stride!

They'll be ready to go. The first night will be a little raw, but nothing like Vegas for Popmart. U2 has had plenty of time to get the songs down and practice old ones. Remember Pop came out 6 weeks before the opening night of Popmart.:ohmy:

I think it's a little bit of modesty on the part of The Edge...

It's hard to believe that after the performance at the Hall of Fame (plus the last month of rehearsals) that they would be horribly rusty.

I believe it. Every report we've gotten mentions that the band has been scrambling to execute their many ideas and the whole camp has been very nervous. I don't think they're in quite the mess they were in before Popmart, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few noticeable mistakes in San Diego on Monday.

As fans....I don't think that we're looking for perfection. I would be extremely disappointed if every song performed sounds exactly like the cd. There is something to be said for musicians who perfom live. Sometimes the music speeds up, slows down, sometimes a wrong note is played, or a cue is missed. Heck sometimes a guitar isn't set up correctly (Live in Boston when Edge violently kicks the guitar.) It is these inconsistancies that give a band some original flavour, a humanistic touch and credibility.

Even for band as big as U2, I sure that's just the nerves talking. Watch how they hit their stride come 3rd leg. You just watch!

Last edited:
maybe they will need 4-5 shows to shoot their fire (they're human beings at the end!), but i don't worry about edge's worry.........he's a perfectionist as we know, maybe if he's at the 99% he thinks it's not enough! :wink: , and anyway, they might be excited, right?.............no, there's nothing to worry about, we know their grandious abilities, and if someone will make a mistake during any song, oh............what the fuck would there be wrong?! go boys, make your tour, and let us dream day and night, you're stainless!

who is counting the hours, I can't wait, if I get lucky enough, no ticket yet, to see this "unrehearsed" greatest band of all time. Love you Edge.

All the promo touring they did, they'll be fine.

They should be very rehearsed by the time I see them in october

Well, during Yahweh last night, they did have some "Timing" issues. They didn't know how fast to play the song with Bono motioning to the Edge to speed it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom