Eddie Vedder at Seattle show!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abomb-baby

The Fly
Eddie Vedder played last night with Kings of Leon @ Seattle II!! Sorry though, no duets with Bono.

Maybe Eddie Vedder wants to learn something...he was at the San Diego shows as well according to people here.

Eddie is the man. I kind of wish that PJ weren't fame-o-phobics though. They're capable of having better quality on their albums, especially Vitalogy and No Code.

techfire said:
Didn't Pearl Jam open for U2 during Zoo TV? I thought I had read somewhere that PJ opened for U2 in Ireland?

PJ Harvey? :wink:

She too, but Pearl Jam opened some shows on the Zooropa Tour. To be exact on 2 & 3 July (Verona, Italy) and 6 & 7 July (Rome, Italy). :)

Popmartijn said:
She too, but Pearl Jam opened some shows on the Zooropa Tour. To be exact on 2 & 3 July (Verona, Italy) and 6 & 7 July (Rome, Italy). :)

That would've been bomb to see, and this was after Ten hit it big. I saw Pearl Jam open for the Stones in Oakland, I drove up from L.A. to see the show, that was an awesome. I think PJ is too big to open for U2 now, but who knows. No Doubt was big when they opened for U2 during Elevation, that would be a sick show.

yeah man that'd be hot. shoot i would have loved to see no doubt or garbage, but we had crap openers in philly and baltimore. ohhhh well.

trojanchick99 said:

That was pretty much my dream show. No Doubt rocks. Love those guys. Although, I think Pearl Jam would be an amazing opener, saw them in BFE a few years back. Black is unbelievable live.

Yeah it is, nothing tops Hunger Strike though. When Chris Cornell came on stage during a Santa Barbara show a couple years back and performed HS, amazing!
I can't remember an arena being filled to capacity for an opening act like it was for ND.

Popmartijn said:
Here's a neat excerpt from U2 at the End of the World about it.

Here's a bit jick would like:
In the spacious two-room pool house sits a serving table laden with delicacies. Pearl jam take up pool cues and begin the billiards. Larry comes over and asks how their show went tonight. "A lot better than yesterday," they say, "because today we got a half-song sound check. Of course, the arena was half full at the time, but still . . ."

"That should never happen!" Larry says, putting on his sheriffs hat. In Rome Pearl jam will get a full sound check before the doors open! Larry guarantees it! He will personally make sure that U2 gets to the venue early, finishes their sound check promptly, and leaves Pearl Jam plenty of time! Leave it to Larry to walk into paradise and search out an injustice to battle.
Insert "Miracle Drug" solo here.

This Eddie Vedder bio talks about his U2 obsession in the eighties (and mentions that he even met Bono way back before Pearl Jam got famous):
In the eighties, Eddies musical taste turned to more of the commercial rock and roll genre bands that released singles scoring high on the pop charts. At that time, he was in awe of U2's Bono. He was Eddie's musical mentor of the time, and he followed every move the band made. According to Eddie, when he was younger he had the opportunity to meet Bono in a hotel lobby in Chicago. Bono was so nice to him, and even gave him a hug after they talked for a short time.

From the first day I met Eddie, all I would hear about was U2. In fact, he would wear small U2 buttons with pictures of Bono on his dark leather jacket. I remember laughing to myself when I first saw them. I thought it was going a little too far; kind of like what a 12 year old girl would wear to an early eighties Duran Duran concert. But hey, I think we all did things in the 80's that we're embarrassed by!! He collected many magazines, newspaper articles, and videos of the band. There was no question that he was obsessed with the band.

Last edited:
konakitty said:
Hey, techfire I saw Pearl Jam open for the stones in Oakland too. I just remember it raining really hard and they didn't miss a beat.

It didn't rain when I went, thank god! It was awesome though, I drove up from L.A. and bought a 10th row center ticket for $140. The Stones were good, but Pearl Jam was the shizzo!

trojanchick99 said:

Yeah, it was cool. Which show were you at? I was just wondering if the crowd was so into it because it was a SoCal show, or if No Doubt is big everywhere.

I actually went to the Staples Center and Vegas show with ND, it was such a good show, ND played all the hits! I still have some of the KROQ stickers with U2 and No Doubt printed on them, I got like 20 of them after the Staples show.

techfire said:

I actually went to the Staples Center and Vegas show with ND, it was such a good show, ND played all the hits! I still have some of the KROQ stickers with U2 and No Doubt printed on them, I got like 20 of them after the Staples show.

Sweet.. I didn't see those stickers. I went to the first LA show that leg, it was great. Tony was wearing a U2 shirt... I think I've seen No Doubt 8 times counting that show, they never disappoint. That show was cool, because it was right before Rock Steady came out, so I got to hear a couple of the new songs. I am always amazed at Gwen's energy.

Popmartijn said:
Pearl Jam opened some shows on the Zooropa Tour. To be exact on 2 & 3 July (Verona, Italy) and 6 & 7 July (Rome, Italy). :)

I have that verona bootleg and its great.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
eddie grew up as a huge u2 fan... kinda shied away from that durring pearl jam's hayday because u2 weren't exactly "cool" with the grunge crowd... and now that he's older and wiser he seems to have gone back to his love of the band.

i say welcome back

What are you talking about? Eddie has always been a fan of U2. Do you really thing he'd be so shallow, at any point, so as to deny it? There's pics of U2 and PJ together in a book that came out circa Zooropa/Vs. It's nothing new.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

What are you talking about? Eddie has always been a fan of U2. Do you really thing he'd be so shallow, at any point, so as to deny it? There's pics of U2 and PJ together in a book that came out circa Zooropa/Vs. It's nothing new.

i never said he stopped being a fan...

all of the members of pearl jam, especially eddie, went through a phase where they had trouble with acts, including themselves, who were "too big" or whatever the hell you want to call it... take this quote for example...

I seem to have so little faith in what we do for some reason. I think what it is, is that I can relate all too well with these people who look up and trash our band, who say, "U2 sucks, and this sucks, and I used to listen to their early stuff but they suck now 'cause everybody else likes them, and because there's a bunch of geeks running around wearing their T-shirts," and "I used to think they meant something, and now they don't." I understand the mentality. But it's just an awful feeling to be the one that is targeted.

I get pissed off if I see someone's picture everywhere: on the cover of this, on the back of that, in ads, in sound bites on TV. I start to hate that person, whether I've heard their music or not. And so I've really tried to hold back from doing that stuff. I think that's what pissed me off about Time magazine, when I didn't have to agree to be on their cover in order for them to put me on it. I felt like, fuck, I'm gonna be that guy I hate whether I want to or not. And pretty soon, I'm gonna be an icon that can just be joked about. I'm too sensitive to that kind of stuff. I did my best to hold us back from becoming that, at least after witnessing what happened on the first record. I thought for the second record we were pretty mellow. We took ourselves off TV. But I still feel like we're that band that everybody hates.
-Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone Magazine

i'm just commenting on how it's nice to see that eddie's gotten over that whole thing and is just comfortable being who he is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom