Easy on our pockets Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawkfire said:
U2 are catching up to the Stones with each new undertaking...the long slow demise to utterly irrelevant corporate rock behemoth is near completion.

You are wrong. Don't go to the damn shows. Don't do anything regarding U2. Just don't follow them anymore. I am so sick and tired of people like you bitching that U2 is ripping you the fuck off. You are the ones who are paying for the hotel, food, drinks, etc. etc. to get to these shows. Don't blame the damn band.

They need to squirrel away their nuts while they can because this will probably be the last mega tour for the band for a variety of reasons so you can’t blame them for wanting to cash in while they can. U2 tickets and merchandise are expensive in relation to other bands but remember other bands are not U2. The bands contributions to charity and campaigns to bring awareness on a broad range of social issues are well known and frankly the griping about incidental costs is moronic.

The only other alternative is to have that “overpriced” t-shirt stitched together by some 9 year old in a sweatshop somewhere and for them to play 100,000 seat stadiums with crappy sound and obstructed views. To the all the U2 fans in Europe, “I feel your pain”. Seeing your favorite band play for the first time in five years in a small arena and knowing that other humans aren’t being exploited for your benefit transcends cost, to me anyway.

No, I don't think you were too harsh. The thing that frustrates me about this particular thread is that it's one thing to complain about the price being to high, but first the original poster says how he went to those shows and had to pay for hotel rooms and then bought all that stuff AND THEN decided to complain about the price and how the band is trying to rip people off. So, unjustifiably irrate person, why did you buy all that shit in the first place if you felt the bad was out to get their fans?

I don't think U2 is the only act to be charging too much for their tickets and merchandise (I do think they are too high, but before anyone tells me I don't have to buy it, let me assure you I haven't bought anything U2 in years :) ). I think it's pretty much an industry wide practice.

While you can say "well, they are charging less than Madonna or the Stones" what Madonna and the Stones charge is outrageous (I don't buy anything from them either :) ), and be happy you at least aren't being charged the prices they charge is kinda sad.

What I would think would be ideal for U2 to do is strip their live shows down to the essence of U2 and drop all the massive stage show. Their music should be able to carry the show, and I'm sure the emotion generated is due to their music, not the light show, etc., anyway. Madonna might need all the bells and whistles to make an exciting show, I doubt U2 does.

Because it would be a much more simple setup and not be so tough or expensive to ship the equipment between venues, the band could hit more locations in more countries and actually service more fans. And the ticket prices could be a little bit lower which would also be nice.

I do think the merch prices are high (edun or not), but agree that buying stuff is not essential to a great concert experience.

I think it is ironic that when comparing ticket prices, it is perfectly fair conversation to include Paul McCartney, Madonna, The Rolling Stones...but, when it comes to relevancy...these bands are far behind.

I tend to think that U2 has far more in common with that list than they do Pearl Jam or Coldplay. Not only in age, but in many other ways as well.

People are not bitching about the band and their decisions...they are bitching about a percieved direction that they feel the band is heading. They don't like they way they feel and hate to say it, but they can't help it. Regardless of one's undying devotion (of which I have in spades) you cannot say that things aren't different these days. It never has been like this before, and just because everyone else is getting over a $100 for upper deck seats and over $30 for t-shirts does not make it wonderful and acceptable.

They can deal if the want, and they can certainly voice their displeasure. U2 are not demi-gods waiting to rain down fire and brimstone on the guilty. These 4 guys were begging us to buy their record just 2 albums ago...pleading with us to buy their tickets...gracious as f**k when we cheered as loud as a half full stadium could...

Cut those that are trying to smartly critique a band they love with their entire soul some slack.

My own two cents:

I don't think that cutting a production down is the problem...there are still gigantic profit margins here...record setting profit margins. One can only argue that U2 isn't interested in making loads while they can for so long. The evidence is mounting otherwise. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just it is a fact and people need to accept it.

Last edited:
indra said:

What I would think would be ideal for U2 to do is strip their live shows down to the essence of U2 and drop all the massive stage show. Their music should be able to carry the show, and I'm sure the emotion generated is due to their music, not the light show, etc., anyway. Madonna might need all the bells and whistles to make an exciting show, I doubt U2 does.

Hell, U2's Elevation tour was a "return to basics, stripped down" tour and that was their biggest price increase ever.

I remember that was a huge deal, people didn't believe the rumors and when it was verified people were outraged. The top price tickets jumped from 60 bucks to 135 bucks from Popmart to Elevation. I remember it was a big topic on interference, maybe not Vertigo 2 type big, but big nevertheless.

This tour the top tickets only jumped from 135 to 165, so while still high, the increase seems like nothing compared to the last tour and so there really was no bitching. Next tour tickets will probably cost 200 bucks, then maybe 10 years down the line when they are the Rolling Stones age prices will equal what they are currently charging.

But hey, it's just economics, they sold out every venue easily, so they would be fools to charge less. And if tickets were cheaper it would be even harder to get tickets, so I guess that's one positive for expensive tickets.

I actually thought ticket prices were reasonable (well GA anyway some of the seats were a bit steep)

Wasn't impresed with the price of a programme but then again programmes have been £10 at most concerts Ive been to lately and I thought that was a lot.

Anyway the European shows that I spent money on were worth every penny.

I spent about £600 on tickets/travel/accommodation for 3 concerts in one week (2 of us BTW) and it was worth every penny.........even bought a t-shirt (£20) which I was adamant I wouldn't............post concert high to blame! But we only get the chance to see them live, every 4 years or so £600 over 4 years isn't too much IMO. At least that's the way I try to look at it.

The programmes are definitely a rip off though!!!!

Cardiff was superb. All my expenses taken into account, I spent about £400 on this gig.

It worth every penny to be stood just a few feet from Bono/Edge/Adam on the catwalk, with just a little barrier between us.

I spent about $5,000 for 1 week in NY & Boston to see 5 shows....5 star hotels, meals, t-shirts (+other bullshit memorabilia), transportation.......

Can't wait to spend more in Barcelona & the 2nd US leg.:wink:

Barcelona :drool:

my dream would be to go to the San Sebastian, Nice, Barcelona shows :drool: :drool: :drool:

VertigoGal said:
does anyone know what their profit margin for this tour will be? I still don't see why they can't just announce that, after all expenses are paid, the proceeds will go to a certain charity. Oh well

Why in the world would you expect them to donate the proceeds to charity? I have no idea why someone would actually want or expect them to do that. It makes no sense to me, sorry.

ramblin rose said:
I spent about $5,000 for 1 week in NY & Boston to see 5 shows....5 star hotels, meals, t-shirts (+other bullshit memorabilia), transportation.......

Can't wait to spend more in Barcelona & the 2nd US leg.:wink:

ramblin rose...I reckon I'm not far behind you...NY, Man1, Man2 Twickers, Barcelona. Where are staying in Barcelona? I'm at the Grand Marina Hotel on the sea front. I'm hoping the band will be staying there:lol:

1stOne said:

ramblin rose...I reckon I'm not far behind you...NY, Man1, Man2 Twickers, Barcelona. Where are staying in Barcelona? I'm at the Grand Marina Hotel on the sea front. I'm hoping the band will be staying there:lol:

Its not too short a flight away from the South of France, so they might not even be in town

ramblin rose said:

Why in the world would you expect them to donate the proceeds to charity? I have no idea why someone would actually want or expect them to do that. It makes no sense to me, sorry.

well, they don't need the money, and it would show they're serious about the Africa thing (justice is more important than charity, I know, but charity doesnt hurt). And it could maybe help those less fortunate? :shrug: I dunno...

It may also help the One Campaign, etc cos it would convince skeptics that their motives are genuine, and they might at least give Bono the time of day when he's on TV.

There's no need to, but it doesn't seem like that outrageous of an idea to me...

if u2.com subscriptions weren't $40 then hardcore fans would be left out in the cold

also ticket prices are commanded by the demand-- and u2 underpriced their GA's, which is why theres SO many scalpers capitilizing

one thing though, the band does give money regularly, they don't state it but bono has said in the past that the band helps him financially for all the causes he works for-- so it must be substantial money if he needs the other boys to chip in

the other thing is that they probably save money for the band just in case of a rainy day-- its possible that they have a bomb of a tour/album and they want to keep money so that they can continue on without going bankrupt

oh... and the $300M of revenue they are making for this tour? i'm sure at least 50-70% of that money is going straight into the cost of the production night-to-night

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yes, I have, and I've also read an intro level Economics textbook and like it or not, everything the band is doing makes perfect, logical sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I've read in multiple threads and news articles that some shirts were more expensive b/c Edun was manufacturing them w/ organic materials in "fair trade" factories

I honestly didn't know that Edun manufactured the t-shirts. If that's true, well, it might be a good idea to make that VERY clear at the t-shirt selling booth. Because if I had known, I might have forked out the money to buy one - instead, I was thinking they were pushing it a bit (a lot!) at those rates.

Erm

I went to the Cardiff gig, and have to admit it was an amazing show (my first)

I agree that £15 for a program is a bit of a rip-off, but if you're concerned about the profits going to charity then be a little less selfish and dont buy the program, give the money to charity yourself, that way the charity will get the full amount of the donation.

I thought that the T-shirt prices were fairly reasonable, i mean £20 cant be bad, plus as LivLuvandBootlegMusic said they were made by Edun, a company devoted to the rights of employees (and as you never founded by Bono & Ali) , so i dont think you could complain about that. Especially since i went to a Rooster concert with a few friends of mine who are fans and the T-Shirts there were also £20....I wouldnt mind only the ticket was £9! Needless to say i didnt buy a T-shirt!!

My ticket for U2 cost £96 with a booking fee, and after Wednesday nights show i would have paid double if i had to....and i'm not the wealthiest person in the world. Also I travelled from Liverpool to see them and stayed over night in Cardiff but how can you say that it wasnt worth the time, effort or money? for god's sake you've just seen arguably the best band the world has ever seen and you're copmplaining! I'd give my right arm to have afforded to go to the Popmart tour but unfortunatley i wasnt lucky enough, which is also true for Elevation. But, my time came with the Vertigo tour, and i am so happy that me and my dad scraped enough money together in time, because it was worth every second!!

Also, how can anybody criticise U2 for giving 6million euros to Africa? How can you criticise it?
Bono has strived for most of his career to get Africa on track and it is a huge uphill struggle and he's sticking at it, yeah sure he's a multi-millionaire....he thanks us enough for putting him in that position!

Personally, I feel that people criticising musicians for having money are jealous because they didnt have the drive and ambition to get it themselves.

So, how about instead of complaining about how much money Bono is giving to charity, not give some yourself, but do something to help the same cause, if not then, all the people criticising U2 are complete hypocrites because you cant say something is at an unfair price and then buy it without contesting your complaint.

Just my opinion :reject:

the soul waits said:

I honestly didn't know that Edun manufactured the t-shirts. If that's true, well, it might be a good idea to make that VERY clear at the t-shirt selling booth. Because if I had known, I might have forked out the money to buy one - instead, I was thinking they were pushing it a bit (a lot!) at those rates.

Check the label :wink:

I did and it says something like...this t-shirt was made in a non-sweatshop environment.

Also, you were at a concert, a U2 concert. Did you really manage to think about where those T-shirts were made?

I couldnt get round the fact that i was going to see U2 perform live!!

bono_gal said:

Check the label :wink:

I did and it says something like...this t-shirt was made in a non-sweatshop environment.

Also, you were at a concert, a U2 concert. Did you really manage to think about where those T-shirts were made?

I couldnt get round the fact that i was going to see U2 perform live!!

I didn't bother to check the label, since I didn't have the slightest clue that it may have been made by Edun. There was a line for the t-shirt booth that was VERY long-I glanced over the crowd to check out the prices and then decided it was too expensive.

Don't you think it might have helped the Edun-project if there was some kind of awareness-advertisement out there, in a visable way?

the soul waits said:

I didn't bother to check the label, since I didn't have the slightest clue that it may have been made by Edun. There was a line for the t-shirt booth that was VERY long-I glanced over the crowd to check out the prices and then decided it was too expensive.

Don't you think it might have helped the Edun-project if there was some kind of awareness-advertisement out there, in a visable way?

Yeah, I think it would have helped boost the project a lot, but Edun is an expensive clothes line anyway, so it could also have put people off.

Hawkfire said:
Does Pearl Jam charge $90 for T-shirts? Will they ever? Do they charge $150 for seats? Will they ever? Of course not. They care about their TRUE fans and their FREE website and fanclub routinely get their fans the best seats

Right they just release every concert on CD, so I wonder how much they make per concert...:hmm:

Plus Pearl Jam will never be big enough to put on a tour like U2 either so apples to oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom