Does the show start at the encore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Miss Sarajevo
Pride
Streets
One

Come on, guys, that is actually the best part of the show! U2 concert without Streets, without One? And besides that, Miss Sarajevo is THE best song on this tour. OK, there are some things that could be better (lightshow during Streets or the last part of Bullet for example), but still, I would be much happier if they dropped Elevation (for example) for another song, maybe Kite or Walk On (if it has to be from ATYCLB).
But I still like surprises. Just not at that place. It's better in the encore or maybe even better at the beginning of the show. What if they kicked off with Until The End Of The World tonight?

:shrug:

Since 1992/93 has U2's main set ever really changed? (hey, the whole set never really changed through 97-98)

As for the old 'warhorses' (SBS,Bullet, One, Streets, Pride ect) I found them a boring part of the show by Anahiem II.
The only performance of One that I enjoyed a lot was on opening night, and Bullet...now that needs to be replaced...its been done to death, and I just found it a weee bit boring. It just have that effect and 'power' to it as it does even when you watch the old sydney video.

Pride and Streets were kinda...not boring but, I dont think they flow near as well as AWIY -> Streets and Bad -> Streets do.
Plus, U2 are never at the top of the game at the start of a tour, so prehaps if i was actually at show now, my opnion would be diffrent (airfare anyone?)

They did Zoo TV sytled setlist in Chicago back on Elevation, and if one can dream out loud, it would be nice to see them open with Zoo And The Fly then into Vertigo.
Lets hope that the main set is a wee bit mixed up for the final New York Shows this month.

This is one of the saddest threads I have ever read. All I see are a bunch of people bitching at U2 for playing their hit songs. How dare U2 do that? It's like they're trying to piss off their fans by playing their hits, huh? Maybe they should play all their obscure songs to make their audience happy, huh? I bet everyone would rather hear Crumbs than Streets, or Discotheque than Pride, right? Riiiiiight. It's amazing how out of touch you all are with the 95% of U2 concert attendees.

I went to my first two U2 concerts this year, and the six people I went with during those two dates had never been either. We were all slightly disappointed not to hear With or Without You that first concert, but we got it the second time, so that was great.

I can't believe people actually suggest that they shouldn't play their biggest songs simply because the 1% of people who see several shows every year get bored by them. Give me a break, this is just pathetic.

In a way, it's sad that whiners who get bored by their biggest songs are getting tickets to see U2 when other people who would love to see them can't get tickets. I have so many friends who would have loved to be there, to hear them play Streets, WOWY, SBS, Pride, etc. It makes me disgusted to hear that the highlights of the show for most people are "boring" to you guys so U2 needs to change it up to please you.

Unbelievable. Next time you're bored during these songs, look around you at the 20,000 singing along, see how much they are enjoying themselves, and think about how blessed you are to be able to see your favorite band multiple times each tour. And if you're still bored, maybe it's time for you to fly home, go back to work, and give your tickets to someone who will actually enjoy the entire concert.

playing hit songs is one thing, but what the hell is with BTBS??

Forget Acrobat, lets start a petition on this song. We should do like they did in Poland during NYD and instead form a large banner that says "STOP PLAYING THE BULLET!"

I went to 4 shows this year, and not once did the crowd react to this song. Don't get me wrong, this song is awesome and the live version kills, but that was the ZOO and Popmart ones.

this new version isn't as strong and it should not be played every night! Every three shows, two at most.

At least if they play PRIDE every night there is reason behind it, its one of their biggest hits.

i agree, why they play bullet is just perplexing.

if they just replaced that song with something like please it could improve the show greatly.

fmattyh said:
This is one of the saddest threads I have ever read. All I see are a bunch of people bitching at U2 for playing their hit songs. How dare U2 do that? It's like they're trying to piss off their fans by playing their hits, huh? Maybe they should play all their obscure songs to make their audience happy, huh? I bet everyone would rather hear Crumbs than Streets, or Discotheque than Pride, right? Riiiiiight. It's amazing how out of touch you all are with the 95% of U2 concert attendees.

I went to my first two U2 concerts this year, and the six people I went with during those two dates had never been either. We were all slightly disappointed not to hear With or Without You that first concert, but we got it the second time, so that was great.

I can't believe people actually suggest that they shouldn't play their biggest songs simply because the 1% of people who see several shows every year get bored by them. Give me a break, this is just pathetic.

In a way, it's sad that whiners who get bored by their biggest songs are getting tickets to see U2 when other people who would love to see them can't get tickets. I have so many friends who would have loved to be there, to hear them play Streets, WOWY, SBS, Pride, etc. It makes me disgusted to hear that the highlights of the show for most people are "boring" to you guys so U2 needs to change it up to please you.

Unbelievable. Next time you're bored during these songs, look around you at the 20,000 singing along, see how much they are enjoying themselves, and think about how blessed you are to be able to see your favorite band multiple times each tour. And if you're still bored, maybe it's time for you to fly home, go back to work, and give your tickets to someone who will actually enjoy the entire concert.

Your two cents.

Many have the smae opinion as you.

many do not.

bono_man2002 said:

Since 1992/93 has U2's main set ever really changed?

Of course not.

U2 has switched opening songs, closers, encores on this tour - even the main set apart from the Africa and War trilogies.
(on multiple dates especially)

I think that the people who have seen U2 lots of times DO have a right to bitch.

We know what we're talking about. We also know what could make a U2 show stronger. 10/7 was my first Vertigo show and I was honestly bored, and I don't even listen to bootlegs. I just feel that it's all very safe.

And becoming a jukebox instead of playing stronger live songs such a "Gone" or anything else that really plays up the band's strengths and their stronger back catalog is not whining - it's wanting U2 to not settle.

U2 amazes me when they reach back and pull something extraordinary out.. like "Zoo Station" on 10/10. Amazing. Some of the songs on the setlist seem to be for radio-listening moderate U2 fans instead of the people who have given the band a great life as Bono likes to tell us about.

But I'll stop now because I'd rather not incite fire that I don't deserve by people who believe no one has a right to criticize ever. So I'll just take my ability to see U2 multiple times and shove it up my bum and discuss my desired set list changes with my boyfriend.

they play bullet because people might have gotten into U2 for that song or whatever, its just opinions and my personal opinion is that i like the new version and cant see any reason to drop it, but again just MY opinion

maybe just maybe the band dont enjoying playing some of the songs you mentioned? they still need to have some enjoyment to give us the ultimate live show, and if there not enjoying it, then why would they put there effort into it

HelloAngel said:
I think that the people who have seen U2 lots of times DO have a right to bitch.

We know what we're talking about. We also know what could make a U2 show stronger. 10/7 was my first Vertigo show and I was honestly bored, and I don't even listen to bootlegs. I just feel that it's all very safe.

And becoming a jukebox instead of playing stronger live songs such a "Gone" or anything else that really plays up the band's strengths and their stronger back catalog is not whining - it's wanting U2 to not settle.

U2 amazes me when they reach back and pull something extraordinary out.. like "Zoo Station" on 10/10. Amazing. Some of the songs on the setlist seem to be for radio-listening moderate U2 fans instead of the people who have given the band a great life as Bono likes to tell us about.

But I'll stop now because I'd rather not incite fire that I don't deserve by people who believe no one has a right to criticize ever. So I'll just take my ability to see U2 multiple times and shove it up my bum and discuss my desired set list changes with my boyfriend.
yes you do have EVERY right to voice your concerns, but who says you will improve it? just because it would improve the show for YOU, dosent meant to say it would improve the show for someone going for the first time, and imo GONE wasnt to great on the elevation tour, getting little or no crowd reaction when they started it up, where as, as U2girl pointed out, if you listen to the boots you will easily see which songs get the most reaction, and no suprises its pride and streets

If U2 are a jukebox now, they've always been.

Considering the events before the start of this tour, and that U2 is a band for the masses, and given the many songs on this tour I bet no one expected, I think some people have a right to say there is too much bitching.

I remember reports of people going "huh?" at the slow Boy songs, Miss Sarajevo and most recently Discotheque.

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
yes you do have EVERY right to voice your concerns, but who says you will improve it? just because it would improve the show for YOU, dosent meant to say it would improve the show for someone going for the first time, and imo GONE wasnt to great on the elevation tour, getting little or no crowd reaction when they started it up, where as, as U2girl pointed out, if you listen to the boots you will easily see which songs get the most reaction, and no suprises its pride and streets

I think you might be assuming a little too much about me and how I see myself as a U2 fan. I'm not aggressive in my argument-making, and no, I do not feel that I have all the answers. But again, I have my opinion (oh which has no weight and importance other than my want to voice it) and you have yours.

Of course the big hits get the biggest reaction - those are the songs that the greater amount of the crowd knows. Duh. :huh: But what I think long time fans are saying, those of us who REALLY fork out the cash over the years is that U2 might be playing it safe way too much in the main set.

U2girl said:
If U2 are a jukebox now, they've always been.

Considering the events before the start of this tour, and that U2 is a band for the masses, and given the many songs on this tour I bet no one expected, I think some people have a right to say there is too much bitching.

I remember reports of people going "huh?" at the slow Boy songs, Miss Sarajevo and most recently Discotheque.
i think the video from chigago that chizip put together shows just how people reacted to discotheque

Let's hear it for MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and Discotheque on tonight's show.

Pop encore is the SHIT! :drool:
And throw in Dirty Day while you're at it. :wink:

djerdap said:
Let's hear it for MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and Discotheque on tonight's show.

Pop encore is the SHIT! :drool:
And throw in Dirty Day while you're at it. :wink:
well you never know, they did the Zoo encore last night so, who knows :)

C'mon guys... after me (in an "Everyone" tone of voice):

They WILL play Mofo tonight

HelloAngel said:

:up:

u2girl got OWNED.

and by owned i mean OWNED.

she reminds me of yari fleischer or however you spell it.

I hate to burst your bubbles, but do you really think it's the hardcore fans that have given U2 a great life?

Considering we probably make up maybe 20% at a show both here and in Europe and maybe an even lesser percentage of the record buying community, I really don't.

I think we should get over ourselves.

ramblin rose said:
I hate to burst your bubbles, but do you really think it's the hardcore fans that have given U2 a great life?

Considering we probably make up maybe 20% at a show both here and in Europe and maybe an even lesser percentage of the record buying community, I really don't.

hehe :wink:

I think that nuts like us are an important part of supporting the band, especially since we'll be there no matter what they do (bitching all the way for some, but there nonetheless!). Still, U2's got enough of a following of normal fans that they'd do pretty well without us nuts. I'd say they could still easily sell out each arena show even if there weren't so many multiple ticket buyers (though there may not be a need for 7 msg shows...). And we don't really factor into the success or failure of an album, seeing as how we buy them all anyway.

All in all, I think that it's a hard line to tread between playing up to your "diehards" and your "casual" fans (btw, I think there should be a middle category in there....). I believe U2 recognizes that & they do a pretty good job treading that line.

ramblin rose said:

Well think about it this way, if you were in a band, who would you rather try to put on a good show for? The die hard fan that has bought every album and DVD, that knows al the words to every song and would go crazy for all of them, or the douchebag that only knows the songs from the radio, leaves to take a piss during An Cat Dubh, and maybe has bought a greatest hit CD?

Obviously there are a lot more of the douchebags at the show, so I can understand why U2 would try to cater to them more, doesn't mean I have to like it. They have done a better job on the third leg of trying to make both sets of fans happy. The main set could still use a couple adjustments and maybe a surprise or two for each show, but for U2 to even mix up the encore is a big first step.

Personally, I think the bigger slap in the face to the diehards is the lottery system, not the setlists, but thats a whole different topic :wink:

Chizip said:

Well think about it this way, if you were in a band, who would you rather try to put on a good show for? The die hard fan that has bought every album and DVD, that knows al the words to every song and would go crazy for all of them, or the douchebag that only knows the songs from the radio, leaves to take a piss during An Cat Dubh, and maybe has bought a greatest hit CD?

Obviously there are a lot more of the douchebags at the show, so I can understand why U2 would try to cater to them more, doesn't mean I have to like it. They have done a better job on the third leg of trying to make both sets of fans happy. The main set could still use a couple adjustments and maybe a surprise or two for each show, but for U2 to even mix up the encore is a big first step.

Personally, I think the bigger slap in the face to the diehards is the lottery system, not the setlists, but thats a whole different topic :wink:
but you have still payed the same ticket prices as that "douchebag, so they have as much right as you to hear the songs they want to hear, and going by reactions of a certain % in the arena, its the hits they wanna hear

KUEFC09U2 said:
but you have still payed the same ticket prices as that "douchebag, so they have as much right as you to hear the songs they want to hear, and going by reactions of a certain % in the arena, its the hits they wanna hear

you're right, but ive also dedicated the past 10 years of my life to the band, buying everything theyve released the day it's gone on sale, turning countless friends into fans, going to many shows, etc... while one of these douche bags just goes because its the cool thing to do, gets wasted and only wants to hear beautiful day and vertigo.

i understand u2 has to play to both the casual fans and the diehards, but sometimes i think they lean a little too much on the side of trying to make the casual fans happy.

but like i have said, they are doing a better job of walking that line here on the third leg.

Chizip said:

you're right, but ive also dedicated the past 10 years of my life to the band, buying everything theyve released the day it's gone on sale, turning countless friends into fans, going to many shows, etc... while one of these douche bags just goes because its the cool thing to do, gets wasted and only wants to hear beautiful day and vertigo.

i understand u2 has to play to both the casual fans and the diehards, but sometimes i think they lean a little too much on the side of trying to make the casual fans happy.

but like i have said, they are doing a better job of walking that line here on the third leg.
its a debate that could go on and on really :)

Chizip said:

Trust me, I know exactly what you're saying, it's the overdramatization that bothers me. I'm still steaming about the two assholes in front of me on the 8th. No matter how I tried to not let them distract me they were directly in front of me and it was hard to overlook. I was just saying to someone how I wish that U2 would perform a few shows to just u2.com fan club members, Will Call only, ID required, box office to show entrance every fucking safeguard to avoid ticket scalping etc. etc. Even though I know every hardcore fan didn't join, it would be the only way I see to ensure that no asshole who isn't even a moderate fan gets into the show.

Man how awesome would that be. I guess the only buzzkill would be if even at that show they chose to play Bullet. :|

Back
Top Bottom