does the band ever pay a lot of attention to the fans behind the stage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FungusAmongus

War Child
tonight i was around that location at the show.. and they hardly did. bono did acknowledge us a but, but.. it was a little weird feeling a little.. apart from the rest of the show in a way tonight.

i dunno. maybe im being a bitch about it.

just curious if they have spent a lot of time back there at other shows...

i had heard before they had even spent a lot of singing time back there at some shows.

Not really.

I was at MSG 10/10 and they didn't look our way much at all.
The beaded light thingys can be a pain as well

But I was pretty close to the stage so you take the good with the bad :)

In a word.... no.

Was at the philly 10/16 show, in section 118.. had a lot of fun, but they really only acknowledged us as they were coming back to the main stage after looping around the ellipse.

I was hoping to get a picture of them at the end of the show as they were bowing, but they really only bowed to the main part of the arena. Didnt turn around and stop/bow.

The curtain lights do get in the way a bit, but there's a tv screen behind the stage.

You can see through the curtain, but i prefered to watch the tv.

Bono did a lot more during the Elevation Tour. Now he pretty much ignores the people behind the stage.

In Europe they didn't sell seats behind the stage. I know the stage design was different in Europe and the band couldn't really look back anyway, but it probably worked out in the sense that everyone got a good view.

At the Chicago 5/7, bono did grab a United Nation's flag from an audience member seated behind the stage...

Also, sometime in the first leg, someone mentioned that Bono went back there and in the frenzy someone almost fell of the blacony? Don't remember the exact details :huh:

But yes, he definitely did pay more attention to fans behind the stage during Elevation...

Basically if you are seated behind the stage, you're giving up seeing the band's front side all the time just for the pleasure of being in the building.

Those 4,000 or so seats behind the stage wouldn't even be on sale if U2 put a bigass screen at that end of the arena like Coldplay did, so I guess the tradeoff is more seats avaliable but slightly less of the band from those seats :)

I was in the last row of seats, behind the band for Philly 2 in spring, and still had an amazing time though,.

isnt it true during the elevation tour that at least bono gave a lot of attention to those in those areas?

im curious as to why they hardly do. i mean, the crowd is just as big and important as any other area.

For this tour, I've only ever had seats behind the stage or GAs....and I was a lot more disappointed at how little the band used the ellipse than the amount of attention (or lack thereof) given to the people behind the stage.

on 10/11 Bono gave the people a few gestures and tried to pump us up. It was cool, but nothing more than that.

The rest of the band didn't even look back i think until Larry waved to us after "40".

So no, not really. But I love the seats, I was worred about sitting behind the stage but it turned out alright for the 2 shows i did it.

i was at the philly show lastnight and saw bono splash water on the people back there. LOL. that was really cool.
it was my first show, too.

i was more on the side.. sort of behind the stage... right in front of where edge played the piano on the little ellipse thingy.

just curious.. but why do you guys think the band hardly acknowledges the back areas?

really no reason? or because usually those are the cheaper seats and why give more attention to those who probably spent nothing on them?

i think they did in the elevation tour.

the boot [audio,cd] that i have, you hear bono say "i know you got those seats so you can take a good glimpse of larry's arse."

that was pittsburgh.

MattFromNYC said:
just curious.. but why do you guys think the band hardly acknowledges the back areas?

really no reason? or because usually those are the cheaper seats and why give more attention to those who probably spent nothing on them?

The thing is, they're not really giving THAT much more "attention" to the people sitting straight-on, they're just performing and some people have the ability to look them in the eye is all. As far as actual attention from the band members, the people in front of them get more b/c the band is reaction to these people (signs, things being thrown, gestures from the crowd, etc...things you simply don't get when you can't actually see the person doing them).

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
For this tour, I've only ever had seats behind the stage or GAs....

ha ha, me too, it's like either the best seats or the worst seats . . .

but yeah, i think they acknowledged the behind the stage people more on elevation. it seemed like bono at least would do whole sections of songs singing to the behind seats (or so i remembered)

I had behind the stage at LA2, not too much attention, except when Adam made his 2 trips around the elllipse catwalk. He looked upwards at the people behind the stage.

He does turn to face Larry quite a bit I noticed. ;) I saw Adam's face more than the other guys.

Most of the interaction is with fans in the ellipse area because they are literally at arms length. It’s difficult to interact with people in reserved seating no matter where they are in the arena. If you’re lucky and in the nosebleeds Bono might shoot you with his atomic light cannon, spotlight, towards the end of the show.

MattFromNYC said:

Just a guess, but could it be as simple as there not being as much direct lighting on the rear seats this time around? My impression of Elevation is that it was a much "brighter" stage show, and it may be that they can't see the rear-stage sections as well, and "out of sight, out of mind". Guess I better bring a flashlight for 12/4....

Remember Bono climbing up to the first row behind the stage at Providence1 and talking with that little girl? Great moment....

Back
Top Bottom