do you think that the Australian/Japan tour is still on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabriele1971

The Fly
Ok; here's what I think/fear (I really feel for my aussie/jap friends).
the tour was due to start on march 1, run for 10 months (till Xmas) and have 115 dates.
now the tour starts on march 28; that's 4 weeks later.
the Euro tour supposedly ends on mid-august, then you have a month-long break.
U2 have to reschedule the initial 4 weeks of US shows, and add them to the 2nd leg. to me, that goes well into december.
so, the Aussie/jap tour should be moved to early '06. but the tour is called "VERTIGO 2005".
to me, that sounds that aus/jap is cancelled. I think the tour will be over in mid-december, and have around 100 dates (like: 30 in Europe/70 north am)
what do you think? of course, I will be happy to be proven wrong!!!!!! I would like to see U2 go there in early '06, and then to South Am etc...
axver, what do you think?
we'll see tomorrow....

Well, the European tour is still ending when it was originally intended to end, and we don't know just how much of March needs to be rescheduled - some of that could be in late May or slotted into other times during the first leg. The Australian/Japanese leg was unlikely to be announced tomorrow, and I think we will definitely skip one - they won't pass over this part of the world again.

And even if they do finish the third leg in early December like on Elevation, that does still give them time to get down here and play some shows before Christmas.

Yeah, I too find it hard to believe they'd skip over it, or why it would be a big deal to play a few dates in January. I thought they originally said Dec-January for that part of the world and I haven't heard anything about the tour being called "Vertigo 2005"; yeah they'd take time off for Xmas but then why not go over there?

I hope for all our Australian friends and everyone else in Asia, etc. that they'd don't skip it, and I'm going to be there then and I'd love to see them there too! :up:

the tout IS called Vertigo 2005. just check the home page of www.ATU2.COM
I don't know, its just a feeling I have. hope I'll be wrong....
and just check thisout: no word on touring outside of US/EUROPE:

U2 Tour Set to Begin March 28 in San Diego
Fri Jan 21, 4:48 PM ET Entertainment - Reuters
By Ray Waddell

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Irish rock band U2 is set to explode on the road at the end of March, just in time for a beleaguered concert industry desperate for a major buzz-generating tour.
The band will begin its worldwide Vertigo tour March 28 at the San Diego Sports Arena, Billboard has learned. Details will be provided in a Jan. 24 announcement. Tennessee rock band Kings of Leon will open the first leg.
Conservative estimates put the Vertigo tour's gross potential at $225 million-$250 million from as many as 110 shows. U2's Elevation tour in 2001 grossed $143 million from 113 shows worldwide, playing to more than 2.1 million fans.
The first U.S. leg will wrap in Boston in late May. The tour, in support of its latest release, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," is routed to accommodate multiple shows in many markets.
History suggests quick sellouts. In 2001, U2 rang up six sellouts at Chicago's United Center that grossed a combined $9.6 million. The band also notched four sellouts in 2001 at Boston's FleetCenter ($5.6 million) and at Earls Court in London ($4.5 million). Two sellouts at Dublin's Slane Castle drew 157,418 and took in $6.7 million.
Following two months of U.S. shows, the Vertigo tour will hit some 30 European stadiums, beginning June 10 in Brussels. The band will stay in Europe through mid-August, then return to North America for another run of 30 arena dates.
Ticket prices will average $90, with $49.50 at the low end and $165 at the high end. Last time out, the range was $45-$135.
As on the Elevation tour, the arena floor will be general admission for about 1,700 seats, depending on the building. And, again like Elevation, the tour will feature unique production elements.
"This tour will be not unlike the last production, in that the lowest- priced tickets will be on the floor," said U2 manager Paul McGuinness. "The best seats are the cheapest, and we want people to get excited."

STADIUMS VS. ARENAS
Stadium dates were not considered in the United States, partly because of higher U.S. ticket prices, said Arthur Fogel, president of the tour's Toronto-based promoter The Next Adventure, a unit of Clear Channel Entertainment.
McGuinness said another factor was the lack of state-of-the-art arenas in Europe. "The arenas in America are just absolutely ideal for rock'n'roll," he said. "I wish there was one in every city in Europe."
On-sales for North American shows will begin Jan. 29 and a day earlier in Europe. Rather than putting all dates up at once, on-sales will be rolled out over a three-week period.
The tour will carry about 150 crew members and 18-19 trucks on the arena leg, though McGuinness kept details of the show close to the vest.
"Production will be different (from Elevation), but I'd rather it be a surprise on opening night," McGuinness said. "We have always felt it was incumbent on the band to give value for money. We will have a very elaborate but seemingly simple and very stylish production, as before. Then when we go to Europe in the summer, the rules change completely, because what works in an arena doesn't necessarily work in a stadium, so we have to rethink it completely."

DOWNLOADS
It is possible some shows will be available as downloads. "We're exploring technology where it might be possible to download the show you've just seen," McGuinness said. "We've been talking to iTunes and the folks at Apple, with whom we have a great relationship, but it's not quite there yet. We're certainly looking at it."
A DVD is also likely, according to McGuinness. "We always do that, but that will come toward the latter end of the tour."
At one point the tour was scheduled to begin March 1 in Miami, but it flipped coasts and was pushed back three weeks. Despite published reports speculating that the tour might be severely delayed or even canceled because of a family illness, Fogel contended concerns were strictly related to routing.
"At a point in time we had to reorganize the tour, but we did it and now we're ready to go," Fogel said. "There were logistical issues to resolve."
Even though last year was brutal for some on the concert trail, McGuinness was confident in U2's ticket-selling ability.
"Nobody's bulletproof, but I'm not worried about the ticket sales at all," he says. "The U2 audience knows that we do great shows, and they are one of the greatest live acts in history. And they're touring on their biggest-ever album. Simply because of the size of the world and the number of places where they're popular, it's impossible not to underplay."
"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," released in late November, has sold 2.26 million units in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. "Aha Shake Heartbreak," the new set from Kings of Leon, already out in Europe, is due Feb. 22 in the United States.
Reuters/Billboard

so, what do you think? I have bad feelings.

As far as I know, Australian and Japan show have not been officially cancelled.
So yes, it will happen - but I did read they might happen in early 2006 instead of December 2005 due to the March US dates postponing.

Just weeks ago we had confirmed dates in the Paper of when U2 had booked here.
That will just have to be reseceduled, to the very end of Januray (Rod Laver is booked from the 17th-30th)
They could come in febuary, and i'm sure could play for 2 months in aren'as (al'la LoveTown)

Vertigo 2005 doesnt mean anything, at least meaning they wont skip us Aussies....I will be pissed off if they've made such as massive effort to rework the USA leg, where they play EVERY tour, and screw over us aussies who have waited 7 years as it is.

(prehaps my biggest post ever here)

Those weren't confirmed dates. They were just rumours, and I recall someone here offering evidence that they were plain wrong.

I think you may have to wait another 5-6 months before they announce the Australian/Japan dates, as well as the return North American leg, as least this is the way it's always been with the exception of Popmart, which did not include any returns to US cities already visited on the first leg. In that case also, the 1998 international leg of Popmart was not announced until late 1997, whereas legs 1-3 were all announced in February 1997. So I assume you'll have a long wait, unless U2 chooses to sell tickets extremely far in advance.

By the way, U2tours.com mentions a new rumor of Brisbane dates on December 2-3.

Of course they will tour Australia. Australia/Japan will happen - it just maybe early 2006. They missed Australia last time, and they will not do it again. Reckon they will spend Christmas here.

Tickets will go sale September or something like that

Back
Top Bottom