Do you think Bono ever performs while intoxicated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
Such a funny, funny thread. How dare U2 get drunk!!! Or high!!!!

I do think Bono's the only one, due to the choreography and complicated timing required in U2 shows, that can 'afford' to get wasted before a show without risking really stuffing something up. By that I mean, not pissed, not drunk, but absolutely bombed. I doubt 'the band' could get away with it, but Bono could. Whether he does or not, who knows, but it's naive to think that Bono can spend 6 hours before a show and 8 hours after a show drinking, and miraculously be stone cold sober for the 2 hours of the show in the middle.

I know he spent the afternoon of the Sydney Popmart show drinking in the sun. He then hit a couple of Sydney bars and clubs till dawn after the show. The next day (a day off) he spent all afternoon drinking at another restaurant, then watched the Mardi Gras parade from the footpath, guzzling pink beers with Larry and Helena Christensen and any fan who stopped by, then went to an after party which a friend of mine part organised. The guy was reported to have shown up absolutely, completely, totally gone - and most peoples guess was that alcohol was only part of it (oooh I so went there, another forbidden topic) - then mysteriously stayed in Sydney for an extra couple of days longer than the band due to 'the flu'. Now, of course, in the middle of what is clearly a bender, Bono and the band performed a completely sober Popmart show - yeah right.

:cute: :heart: :lmao:

"Bono just has a corny sense of humour and he forgets lyrics sometimes (I think during the HTDAAB Promo Tour he screwed up the Lyrics to ABOY during most of the performances).. during our show (Friday) he kinda messed up the beautiful day bridge.. but he definately was not drunk.. no one could put that much energy into a performance and be drunk... I think some people underestimate what it takes to sing good (especially when you have worn out vocal chords)... I've heard the boots of Wednesday and I'm pretty sure he wasn't drunk there either, he was singing beautifully, and he told a great but serious story about the edge..."

"by the way.. you know what I think is a better question? Are so many people always smoking weed at a U2 concert? And do you think the band can smell the weed in the air every night they perform? Everyone I know who went to the concerts, all on different days mentioned that people were smoking weed, both in the seats and in the GA section.... what do you think the band thinks of that?... personally I have to assume most of those people are not U2 fans and are just there to have a party, because IMO i'm there first and foremost to have a good time listening to the music."

Thanks for a GREAT post, bcrt2000! :applaud:

It's amazing that the people who were at the Toronto shows are saying that they saw no sign of Bono being drunk onsatge but many people who weren't there are sure he was!

Very strange to me.

Headache, your post actually gave me one because your logic was too rambling (been drinking?).

Many people's contention in this thread is not to say that Bono doesn't drink - we all know he does and that he has had bouts of problems actually controlling his amounts of intake from time to time.

The question is: does he intentionally come onstage drunk?

The only eveidence that people are posing is that he forgets his lyrics - I am giving a sensible explanation of WHY he forgets his lyrics from BONO'S OWN WORDS and still I'm attacked!

I am sure occasionally U2 have come onstage a bit intoxicated - they are human.

But I don't believe from watching their career over the last 25 years that they make a practice of this like some other Rock groups.

I have never insinuated that Bono is saintly - where are you pulling that from (your active imagination)?

In fact. I have repeatedly said that Bono is ONLY A HUMAN BEING.
How is that stating that he's a saint?

Let's keep this discussion free of personal attacks. :rockon:

Good god, some people smoke weed whilst listening to U2 play their music.

Others do not.

Others smoke cigarettes.

Others close their eyes.

Others snort coke.

Others clap their hands.

Others ingest meth.

Others dont.

Others jump up and down.

Who cares??

I was in Toronto all 4 nights, the smell of weed didnt bother me one bit, and of course U2 can smell it from where they are.

THe only thing thats ever bothered me is having someone spill beer on me, but even then I had to laugh it off, after all they only spilt it because they were having such a great time.

EDIT: sorry the other bothersome thing was people pushing my son and being rude and trying to butt past people.

A U2 show is church, a party, a celebration, a communion, all in one, with saints and sinners alike in attendance. If you want a pure cocoon-like way to listen to U2 live, then sit at home with your favorite bootleg and some headphones on lol..

Just my 2cents..

G

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
Good god, some people smoke weed whilst listening to U2 play their music.

It doesn't bother me from a "moral" standpoint. When I went to SARS-stock you could see the clouds of weed smoke rolling over the whole audience. It's just that:

1) you'd think that U2 fans aren't the types who smoke weed at a show... to be fair i only spotted a few older fellows in the audience were smoking weed a few rows behind me... i'm guessing the people who light up are more interested in having a personal party than enjoying a u2 concert

2) i just think its weird, when you think of the boys, i can see them obviously drinking and smoking... but always in the presence of weed every night on their tour? i don't know... i guess its just that i've never heard an interviewer ask u2 about drugs except when they talk about Adam's problems...

My posts aren't about "judging" anyone, or anything, its more to do with an atmosphere of a u2 concert...

i have a friend who's an elementry school teacher... and is a massive pot head.

there is no "type" of pot smoker... so u2 fans are most certainly included in the group.

yea you've seen u2... but have you ever seen u2...

halfbaked4.jpg

... on weeeeeeeed?

bcrt2000 said:

1) you'd think that U2 fans aren't the types who smoke weed at a show... to be fair i only spotted a few older fellows in the audience were smoking weed a few rows behind me... i'm guessing the people who light up are more interested in having a personal party than enjoying a u2 concert

2) i just think its weird, when you think of the boys, i can see them obviously drinking and smoking... but always in the presence of weed every night on their tour? i don't know... i guess its just that i've never heard an interviewer ask u2 about drugs except when they talk about Adam's problems...

My posts aren't about "judging" anyone, or anything, its more to do with an atmosphere of a u2 concert...

I still dont understand. Why are U2 fans not the types to smoke weed at a show?

It is sortof a judgement of someone if you guess that people who light up are more interested in having a personal party...what if they're just partaking in the concert in the way they find enjoyable?...and some of them will pass it around too, so thats hardly a personal party..

I've heard plenty of arguments against smoking at U2 shows, and some of them are pretty good...but to suggest that to be a U2 fan puts one on a higher plane ie less likely to smoke weed....kinda dangerous territory

I dont smoke anymore....but there was someone inside the ellipse on Friday who was, Adam looked over and grinned I think he smelt it...and dude offered me a pull so hell why not...its a communal thing, much like sharing a U2 moment together...

Dont take this as me flaming you....Im really sincere here I dont get the whole 'u2 fans are above that type of behaviour' vibe that some have (not you per se)...esp not after seeing 4 Toronto shows lol - its the same when someone starts a fight or pushes or whatever....we all say 'oh that person cant call themselves a proper U2 fan' - why, because they got into a fight in a moment of weakness? I used to think that way but I think a bit differently now..not that I now think I have license to behave like a completely inconsiderate jackass at a U2 show.....but I dont know, Ive just seen more and more lately by not being front row centre all the time that makes me go hmmmm...

U2 fans are just people, after all. People smoke, drink, do drugs, and some don't. Just because someone chooses to do a drug or drink doesn't mean they are there in attendance for any less important or valid a reason than the fan that chooses not to....do you see what I mean?

gabrielvox said:
U2 fans are just people, after all. People smoke, drink, do drugs, and some don't. Just because someone chooses to do a drug or drink doesn't mean they are there in attendance for any less important or valid a reason than the fan that chooses not to....

:up: Well said.

gabrielvox said:

I still dont understand. Why are U2 fans not the types to smoke weed at a show?

It is sortof a judgement of someone if you guess that people who light up are more interested in having a personal party...what if they're just partaking in the concert in the way they find enjoyable?...and some of them will pass it around too, so thats hardly a personal party..

I've heard plenty of arguments against smoking at U2 shows, and some of them are pretty good...but to suggest that to be a U2 fan puts one on a higher plane ie less likely to smoke weed....kinda dangerous territory

I dont smoke anymore....but there was someone inside the ellipse on Friday who was, Adam looked over and grinned I think he smelt it...and dude offered me a pull so hell why not...its a communal thing, much like sharing a U2 moment together...

Dont take this as me flaming you....Im really sincere here I dont get the whole 'u2 fans are above that type of behaviour' vibe that some have (not you per se)...esp not after seeing 4 Toronto shows lol - its the same when someone starts a fight or pushes or whatever....we all say 'oh that person cant call themselves a proper U2 fan' - why, because they got into a fight in a moment of weakness? I used to think that way but I think a bit differently now..not that I now think I have license to behave like a completely inconsiderate jackass at a U2 show.....but I dont know, Ive just seen more and more lately by not being front row centre all the time that makes me go hmmmm...

U2 fans are just people, after all. People smoke, drink, do drugs, and some don't. Just because someone chooses to do a drug or drink doesn't mean they are there in attendance for any less important or valid a reason than the fan that chooses not to....do you see what I mean?

you still didn't understand what i meant. what i meant was that u2 is the best band in the world, they have the best library of music of any active band, they put on the best live shows, why would you pay through your nose for good tickets and try so hard to get them, and then spend the concert being high when you could do that at any concert? my question has NOTHING to do with morality

if you *really* want me to make a moral stink about smoking weed i can :wink: ...

Last edited:
YBORCITYOBL said:

I was at a Bar in Hartford, CT before a Joshue Tree concert at the Hartford Civic Center, we stopped off about three hours before the show to celebrate seeing U2 the greatest rock band in the world. Lo and behold when we got into the bar which at the time was called Brown Thompson's (right acrss the street from the venue) we saw a HUGE commotion in the back of the bar. Body gaurds stood shoulder to shoulder in front of a roped off area and there was Bono, Adam, Edge, Ali and whole bunch of people at this one table and ALL were drinking. We were told that it was someone's Birthday in the bunch that was there. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. When U2 hit the stage probably 4 hours after seeing them in the Bar Bono was definitely drunk on stage. He was slurring his words, forgot some Lyrics but the one thing that happened which was indicative of his condition was that more than a few times he took his Mic off of it's stand walked away from it and then almost walked right back into it. After a while Adam was watching his every move and kept moving the stand so that Bono didn't trip over it. Each time Adam looked aver at Edge and they were both kinda laughing about it. They played Party Girl in their encore and had some lady on stage.

I can truly attest personally that at least Bono was drunk for that show.

LMAO :lmao: I literally.. almost shit myself to death laughing at that one. Damn, I wish I could have seen it.

of course the band's performed a little intoxicated. Maybe not drunk to the point of passing out... but, the obvious signs have arisen many many times.. and theres nothing wrong with that!

They're Irish.. they're crazy... they're fun... they like to drink sometimes... and they are only human!

Whats so horrible about them being a little drunk sometimes during a show? Its funny. Let it go. Doesn't make them sinners or horrible people.. just fun and human.

*Goes off to drink some chemically treated, funked up New Jersey tapwater..*

biff said:

As an example: During the Elevation tour, Bono's wife gave birth during a very brief break in the tour schedule. When asked what would have happened if he had had to go back out on the road before the baby was born, Bono said that unfortunately that would have meant he would have missed the baby's birth. He would not have cancelled a show that they were contracted to perform, not even for that compelling reason.

They take their jobs seriously.

(

Where did he mention this?

I would assume they would have gone back on tour.. but as soon as Ali was about to deliver.. he'd fly back ASAP.

Wasn't it during that tour that he was actually doing a show and left earlier because he had just gotten word she was going into labor? or was that Eli?

bcrt2000 said:

you still didn't understand what i meant. what i meant was that u2 is the best band in the world, they have the best library of music of any active band, they put on the best live shows, why would you pay through your nose for good tickets and try so hard to get them, and then spend the concert being high when you could do that at any concert? my question has NOTHING to do with morality

I am assuming you haven't smoked pot? Just quietly, the guy smoking the weed most thoroughly enjoyed the show and got his $$ worth.

A big comfy bean bag, kick arse quality headphones, crack a great bottle of red, light a joint, turn down the lights = Earnie's Music Heaven.

People who don't have much experience with alcohol or drugs can't fathom a lot of things about it.

The one thing that pertains to this thread is that tolerance levels are different in a lot of individuals. For every person who gets drunk on 3 beers and high on a toke or three, there are those who can down a case of beer or smoke 3 joints and not bat much of an eyelash. Some of it is out of experience, some of it is genetic. Drinkers by blood will always have a higher tolerance.

As for performing drunk, it's not that big of a deal for U2. I'd bet they do it all the time, not totally hammered, but just drunk. I think Bono drinking for 6 hours before the show is another day at the office for him, he's got the tolerance level of a man who's probably been drinking for close to 30 years and may very well have it in his blood anyways.

As for assuimng the experience of those who smoke weed at a concert, you can't assume anything unless you've been there. It can be done, you can be totally baked at still function. I am not a big smoker, but I am a drinker who knows lots of smokers. Does it heighten the experience? Well obviously for some people it does. I like to drink beer when I go to sporting events or concerts, but I know my limits and I know that I can enjoy the event with as much alcohol in my blood system as it would take to make most of you pass out. I'm a big guy and it's in my blood.

those who know their own limits, also know the level of intoxication they can still enjoy the show, all the while heightening the experience. Because to put it simply, it's fun.

Plus it's fucking rock and roll for fuck's sake.

Last edited:
AliEnvy said:
No, that was just Ed lol...U2 picked up the tab :sexywink:

Can't imagine what was spent altogether :ohmy:

if eddie downed 20 shots of vodka, which even for one with a high tolerance would completely fuck him up... then they spent 75 bucks per shot, according to that bill. at 5 bucks per shot, that would mean that eddie took 300 shots of vodka...

yea... i don't think that $1,500 was just on vodka for eddie... unless it was some reeeeeeally expensive bottle of vodka... like the first vodka ever made or somethin

Earnie Shavers said:

I am assuming you haven't smoked pot? Just quietly, the guy smoking the weed most thoroughly enjoyed the show and got his $$ worth.

:lol: I doubt I look like anyone's stereotype of a stoner but lemme tell you, been there, done that. (Not on this tour, tho.)

:up:

This thread is hilarious.

This was posted on ShowbizIreland.com a few months back after filming SYCMIOYO. Is this what he looked like Wednesday night in Toronto? He kind of has that glazed sort of look.

bono-drunk2.jpg

By the way, when I went to save this photo to post here it saved as Bonodrunk2...lol

and the caption read as follows

"So it was almost heartwarming to see the U2 frontman full of merriment and cheer as he left Lillies Bordello in the early hours last weekend after a couple of days shooting a video in the capital. It seems Mr. Hewson grabbed a few drinks with friends after shooting the vid for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. ShowBiz Ireland spotted the hardest working man in ShowBiz being helped to his waiting car by a courteous Lillies bouncer. But was he drunk? Not Bono, he has hallow legs!"

When I was in Dublin last fall we stayed at a B&B and I happened to tell the owner that I was headed to Killiney to see Bono's house that day and she said she has a friend who works at Lillie's Bordello (one of B's fav drinking establishments in Dublin) and the friend said that Bono comes in all the time when he's home and gets "drunk and stupid" as she put it. She added that while she doesn't have much time for his type, she guesses "he does some good though" for those in Africa.

Guess I didn't really answer the question this thread asks, did I?

:no: :no:

Two words: TV GaGa. Okay, so it was almost 20 years ago, but Bono was clearly a little worse for wear (and on live TV, too!). He completely slurs the introduction to Trip Through Your Wires, and he's staggering around far more than usual. I've always wondered if the reason that he gets someone up to finish off Knockin' on Heaven's Door for him (and The Edge) is that he suddenly realizes that he needs to go and be sick somewhere quiet.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if eddie downed 20 shots of vodka, which even for one with a high tolerance would completely fuck him up... then they spent 75 bucks per shot, according to that bill. at 5 bucks per shot, that would mean that eddie took 300 shots of vodka...

yea... i don't think that $1,500 was just on vodka for eddie... unless it was some reeeeeeally expensive bottle of vodka... like the first vodka ever made or somethin

um, I think he was exaggerating when he said it but ya never know, I've been to restaurants that have $3,000+ bottles of wine.

biff said:
And how is it that we know this? What's the source, please?

Eddie Vedder himself.

During the show, Ed thanked U2 for the thousands of dollars worth of alcohol over the years, in particular the $1,500 Ed drank in vodka on Sunday night.

Back
Top Bottom