Do you appreciate the record more, since the tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HAHAHA...well to each their own. I think Bono looks like an ass when he does that. I am surprised he doesn't get ripped more from the critics when he does the Karate Kid drum solo. Is it possible that that is actually cool, and I am missing it? Is my cool-dar that off? Nah...I can tell you that the bus driver hat isn't cool...it's still working

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

I personally think every song save Until the End of the World is stronger on Achtung Baby than it is live. Oh, yeah, and Acrobat is better live too :wink:

Hmm. I think The Fly and One live were miles ahead of the recorded versions. But that's just me.

I agree with the idea that they're just not a great studio band though - Elevation will forever be a great example of this. Most of ATYCLB, actually. Those songs brought down the house live, but if you compare any of those boots to the record, the record starts to pale. That fade-out in Walk On is unforgivable. *Shudder.*

I actually loved most of the album from day one, which worried me because those that 'grow' on me tend to be the ones that stick around in my multli-player.

Yahweh is a poor studio track and the acoustic tour version is much improved.

The star for me though is LAPOE...is 'ok' on the album but the raw 'thrash and bash' on tour rocks.

As a recent discoverer of torrents though, my albums are starting to gather dust. They are awesome live.

adrball said:
I actually loved most of the album from day one, which worried me because those that 'grow' on me tend to be the ones that stick around in my multli-player.

The star for me though is LAPOE...is 'ok' on the album but the raw 'thrash and bash' on tour rocks.

As a recent discoverer of torrents though, my albums are starting to gather dust. They are awesome live.

:yes:

LAPOE on the album is okay for me too, but like you said, live it rocks!

Yahweh on the tour is really beautiful :)

adrball said:

I actually think it's one of the better tracks on the new album. It seems to move itself along very well and doesn't sound forced like most of the rest of the songs...

jeffschmid said:

im gonna hafta go ahead and disagree here... the only tracks i ever listen to are city of blinding lights and yahweh... i think the rest of the album sucks...

not that i hate the songs, just how they are recorded...

HTDAAB is supposedly one of the poorest albums made recently, as far as recording and mixing go. The songwriting on it is brilliant though, with the exception of Vertigo (although a great live song), Miracle Drug and One Step Closer

COBL is, for me, the song that has really taken off on the record now that I've seen it twice live. The energy that it would produce when it opened the show now seems to pour through my speakers....

8rattoon said:

HTDAAB is supposedly one of the poorest albums made recently, as far as recording and mixing go. The songwriting on it is brilliant though, with the exception of Vertigo (although a great live song), Miracle Drug and One Step Closer
imo miracle drug is one of the best U2 songs, just my opinion of course, "i wanna hear you when you call, do you feel anything at all, i wanna see your thoughts take shape and, walk right out"

I think the first verse of Miracle Drug is classic (I don't know about the baby line though...).

I think the second verse is the one that slips, but the bridge sung by Edge and the solo before it is one of u2's finest moments.

I've heard a lot of talk (maybe too much talk!) about the production of HTDAAB, and how it's not very good. What I know about record production could hardly fill a thimble, but I can tell you that to my ignorant ears, Yahweh is very overproduced on the album.

It's a good song, and it's really lovely on the tour in the more subtle live arrangement, but there's just way too much going on in the studio version.

That being said, I liked the album quite a bit (borders on love, depending on my mood) before the tour, and I like it just as much now. I definitely like Love and Peace or Else better now, after seeing it live.

8rattoon said:

According to who?

WildHoneyAlways said:
I listen to the album everyday on the tredmill. (I skip #'s 7 & 9 though, not good to run to) It's better now than it was in Nov. when I bought it. :yes:

I also listened to it every night on my treadmill for a solid month. As I always go the same distance I never got past #8. I was amazed to find out there were some good songs after that!

Overall, yes!

Vertigo sounds better live
City of blinding lights is THE highlight for me....AWESOME live...
Love and Peace or else...very nice :wink:
Yahweh...I love this song the way they play it on the tour...

As for the rest, I'm dissapointed. Miracle drug (but especially Sometimes you can't make it on your own) aren't as great as on the album)...

So overall verdict: Yes, I do appreciate it more...

Back
Top Bottom